7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

First Winter with Max

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:49 PM

First Winter with Max

As the cold weather is approaching in Pittsburgh, this is my first cold season with my Maxima. I have searched, but could not find what I was looking for exactly. My question is how does the car handle in the snow. I sold the Goodyears that the car came with and now have the Michelin Primacy MX4's on the car. One of the several reasons why I bought those tires is because they seem to have a better snow rating than the Goodyear's. My car has the 19 inch rims on them so will that make it harder more of a challenge then say the 18's. Winter tires are not an option for me right now. Aside from the tires, i just want to know in general how does the car handle. My 07 Altima 3.5 with winter tires was actually a disappointment in the snow as well. I suspect the Max won't be much better but who knows. I guess if it gets to nasty I can take my moms Fusion, that car is a tank in the snow. I also drive like I got some sense so hopefully that will be in my favor. Also should I disable the reverse tilt down feature in case the mirrors freeze or do you guys let it go. Looking forward to using my heated steering wheel and seat in the cold temps. Thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 AM

I don't use the reverse tilt mirrors ever.
We don't get a lot of snow in Nc, but we had about 3" last winter and the car did fine.
I was also lowered on coils, and still didn't have problems besides plowing with the front lip.

Just don't be stupid and you will be fine.

18 vs 19 doesn't really make a difference in the snow. Just make sure your tire pressure is set correctly (I recommend 35-36psi). I had those tires in a 225/45/18 on a previous car and they were perfectly fine in the snow. Between my FIL and myself we probably have 400,000 miles combined on those tires.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:53 AM

I never use the reverse tilt down anymore either, as last winter I experienced a freezing mirror.

As for tires, I ran the stock 19s for a few weeks last winter here in Metro Detroit. Honestly, it was not that great, with reduced stopping/acceleration/control as compared to my prior Camry SE with 17s. I now have Michelin snow tires on 17s, and the car plows through the snow like a tractor.

My suggestion would be to try out the 19s, while saving for some snow tires. Another thing to consider is the price of replacing the factory 19s if you crack one in a pothole. Do that once or twice and your snow tires are paid for.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Got Retrofit?

Get dedicated snow tires. Thank me later.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:53 PM

If you have the OEM battery make sure it's in top shape. I don't think the earlier smaller batteries can take 3 winters.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The stock tires are utterly worthless if 1 single snowflake is on the ground. And with all our hills and awful potholes, strong winter/all seasons are mandatory.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy14
As the cold weather is approaching in Pittsburgh, this is my first cold season with my Maxima. I have searched, but could not find what I was looking for exactly. My question is how does the car handle in the snow. I sold the Goodyears that the car came with and now have the Michelin Primacy MX4's on the car. One of the several reasons why I bought those tires is because they seem to have a better snow rating than the Goodyear's. My car has the 19 inch rims on them so will that make it harder more of a challenge then say the 18's. Winter tires are not an option for me right now. Aside from the tires, i just want to know in general how does the car handle. My 07 Altima 3.5 with winter tires was actually a disappointment in the snow as well. I suspect the Max won't be much better but who knows. I guess if it gets to nasty I can take my moms Fusion, that car is a tank in the snow. I also drive like I got some sense so hopefully that will be in my favor. Also should I disable the reverse tilt down feature in case the mirrors freeze or do you guys let it go. Looking forward to using my heated steering wheel and seat in the cold temps. Thanks in advance
Continental DWS 06....Done.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:19 PM

^that what I'm gettin dws 06
Old 10-21-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy14

I have the same Michelin tires as you. I commute 85 miles each way in NE Ohio, so I understand the weather you go through. These tires are good and if you drive responsibly, you'll be fine with them.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by LSExplorer22
I have the same Michelin tires as you. I commute 85 miles each way in NE Ohio, so I understand the weather you go through. These tires are good and if you drive responsibly, you'll be fine with them.
Thanks. Its good to know that these tires aren't too bad. I wouldn't plan to go out if it's terrible outside unless I absolutely had too.