7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Sell my Maxima or keep two vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 PM

Sell my Maxima or keep two vehicles

Hey guys! I need some solicited opinions here!

I have a 2010 Maxima SV in great condition, 96K miles, with extended warranty until March 2017 or 100K. I bought it new.

Current value: around 11K.

Here's the question:
I'm a newly single father of 2 kids (5 and 10 y/o). I bought a 2016 Honda Pilot last month as our family vehicle so we can do road trips comfortably, haul our bikes, and load any large Home Depot or Costco crap that home owners are likely to buy Kids custody is 50/50. I did not trade my Max because I love the car and intended to keep two cars.

But...now, I'm questioning the validity of that decision. I'm only probably going to be driving the Max about 3-5K a year as my car when I don't have the kids.

Why I want to keep it:
- Love the car and the power
- car is in great shape, well maintained.
- backup car in case the Pilot needs to be in the shop or have issues
- backup car logic is so I can pick up my kids or take them to school with no problems
- helps minimize the mileage of the new suv
- regular maintenance will be pretty much the same
- mpg is about the same

Why I should get rid of it:
- insurance: $400/year
- total: 750/yr.
- 105K maintenance will cost me about $1K
- yes, I can afford to keep it...but is it smart to keep it?

Ok, I get that this is a Maxima forum so there will some bias to say keep it! But put that aside and give me your thoughts...specially for those of you who are fathers

I've never had two vehicles for myself. We had two vehicles when I was married. So I dont' really know the real benefit or mistake in the real world of owning two.

I have a guy that wants to buy it for 11,350. Should I take the offer?

- Confused Dad.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 AM

That's a tough one but a nice problem to have! Also, the transmission on your 2010 is covered up to 120k miles by Nissan, FYI.

I'd say keep it. It's paid off, in great shape, you seem to enjoy driving it, so, there's nothing wrong with keeping something/doing something for yourself even if you have kids. Also, while $11,350 is a good chunk of change, it's not a life-changing sum of money we're talking about here. I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole by saying that, but it's not. It sounds like you're in a good position financially also which is a big factor.

That's my $0.02 for you. Keep it. Also, if you deal with snow you'll be glad to have the options. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 AM

I would definitely keep it. How do you figure maintenance at 100K miles will cost you $1K? I do everything myself which is not an option for everyone. Haven't check the maintenance schedule for 100K, what are they doing that so expensive? Plugs, all filters, CVT drain/fill, A/F change????
Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A paid off car is the best car. But...it will cost you $650/yr plus maintenance costs and depreciation to drive it 3-5k miles annually. Additionally, once your car hits 100k the value drops and perceived worth drops including banks unwillingness to loan with decent terms to future prospects.

Your fear of not having a second vehicle is a bit exaggerated. If the Pilot breaks down you have rentals provided by the Honda warranty and you have towing. The Maxima can't come pick you up on the side of the road anyway. ;-)

My thought is sell. Now if the Maxima was a truck and you needed the utility I'd say keep it but in this case the Maxima does no more than fulfill emotional enjoyment 3-5k a year which will cost $650/yr plus maintenance and depreciation.

Sell.

Last edited by Maximam; 01-21-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 AM

My vote is keep.
It is a different category of vehicle than the SUV with totally different driving dynamics.
I had 3 vehicles at one point.
There is a lot to be said for your positives, and I would add another.

In 5 years, your oldest kid will be driving. The maxima is a big, safe car.
In 5 years it will be worth 5-8k, and would make an awesome first vehicle.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 AM

I would say, sell it and move on.
Cars are meant to be driven and not sitting around. Aside from emotional value, there is nothing special about Maxima. It is not a car that will hold or increase its value.
Your Pilot will have better tech than Maxima anyway.
You will still need to do maintenance on the car and insurance, misc costs will add up over time.
You have nothing to worry about with brand new car in regards to reliability, if your Honda will be in the shop, they will provide a rental.

I am not in your position, so take it from a point of view of a guy who works on cars, alot.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 PM

Sell it and buy some toys or stuff you want for yourself.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:28 PM

Easy decision. Your well thought out reasons to keep far outweigh the reasons to sell. Keep it. You will,always regret it if you don't.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:57 PM

I had two cars in '14. I had a fully loaded maxima and a base impala. One thing is the insurance actually cost less with two vehicles. With Statefarm they had a discount and I'm sure other companies have multiple car discounts. After a year of owning both cars I eventually gave the impala to a family member. I just was not driving it and the only one time I really needed it was when the max was in a body shop for a week. I probably had to get the car jumped 3 times... it was a chore... If you find yourself not really driving the maxima sell it. It's just going to depreciate. Also with two cars and if you have a garage that $1k maintenance probably would cost you $300(tranny fluid, spark plugs, etc) DIYing at your own pace. If you sell it that would be some nice "change" you can find a hobby maybe a $1k bike or a few trips and nice hiking gear. Or a really nice $3k couch lol. A drone? blah blah. Good luck!

Last edited by zoemayne; 01-21-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the honest feedback. Rough night last night with anxiety of whether to let go or not since the buyer was serious and already got the loan. Nice guy too...no BS stuff for private sale.

I'll compile the answers here

- The 1K maintenance is for spark plugs, trans fluid, filters. I was told the spark plug is a bit difficult to change. I'm not mechanically inclined so I wouldn't know. lol

- Thanks for noticing the typo. It's 650 a year, not 750 to keep it.

- Multi-car discount was already in that figure $650 figure. State Farm was just expensive to keep both. Switched to Geico and it was much cheaper. But it's $200 for 6/months.

- my initial thought to keep it was actually for my son...driving in 6 years. But 6 years is far away and a first car with 290 hp and fun to drive? My stomach started churning after I digested that thought. In 6 years, the Max won't be worth that much due to depreciation and that combined $650/year plus maint. The total savings would result in a nice newer car with less mileage.

Will all the pros and cons (and hope someone finds this thread useful in the future), I've decided to sell and transactions has been completed late afternoon.

- zoemayne pretty much described how I used the maxima in the 5 week's I've had my Pilot. Barely used it...but really enjoyed it when I did

- couldn't justify $650/year driving 2-5K/year.

- cashing in now puts money in my pocket for future purchases...or put it in my new auto loan.

- And, as I try to get a new start in life with the kids, we'll be doing road trips and redecorating the house...so the new couch may come in handy. LOL

Basically, keeping it is not smart financially but satisfies my emotional connection to my very well maintained car.

As one of my friends told me...you keep a spare battery or light bulb. Not a spare car.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

- Decided Dad
Old 01-22-2016, 07:54 AM

That's not an easy decision but I think it's more rational to sell than keep. If in the future you decided you wanted another spare car, you'd have that cash laying around to use it if needed. Also when the kids are old enough to drive, buy a manual car to teach them on