7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Car shop saying this kind of damage totals the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM
omi
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Car shop saying this kind of damage totals the car

Hi all, long time lurker.

A young kid was practicing his first accident, running a red light into the rear left (drivers) side of the car. It was a pretty low speed collision but alas, plenty of bent metal.

The quarters are huge on this car. I didn't even notice the rear quarter metal appears to flow continuous over the roof. Either way, this is the door skin, wheel well, back quarter, bit of the wheel and back bumper. This is on a 2009 SV.

My question is when they told me this car is totalled. They stated if the wheel well is ever affected it is instantly totalled. I definitely don't want a structurally dangerous unibody issue but I'm going to get less than half of what I paid for this car back from the insurance company (I just know it) and be out thousands. Does this sound correct, regarding this kind of damage would be considered totalled? The last thing I want to do is lose half my money when I planned on doing like others here and driving the doors off this car.

Sorry the image is huge and look at all the tread left on those extremecontacts haha (ya they used to be on the front, whee).

Thanks for advice!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Yes totaled. Not in "our" eyes but in insurance eyes.

New door and bumper are small change. You can junk yard those in 2 seconds. That QP, thats 20 hours easy in the body shop and thats what killing you from insurance stand point, as well as insurance don't use junk yard parts. Id bet that ins quote was $4000

Id say buy it back from them and fix it yourself
Old 06-20-2018, 05:26 PM
omi
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm only an armchair expert when it comes to fab work. Yes it's not a simple piece of steel to shape. From the inside of the door to the distinct body curve, all one piece, it'd really take a long time. Less than a year ago I just got this car and after upgrading everything throughout, it's almost a 2018 maxima. And yes I believe they'll kbb trade in value me at 5-6k when I couldn't buy this car for twice that.

I just may have to have it fixed whether they want to do it or not. Otherwise I get hit by a kiddie and just lose 5 grand for it.

I'm going to buy a mountain bike....
Old 06-21-2018, 04:44 AM

sue the kid / insurance / parents
Old 06-21-2018, 05:09 AM
omi
Newbie - Just Registered

If I had infinite time, no immediate circumstances in my life and even the desire to go through that awful path, I would.

I only got this maxima less than a year ago because my previous car was totalled on the highway (along with 2 others). It put me through months of physical therapy, lost valuable job contracts and ended up with a 25% of what I would have had if it never happened.

That's all I really want. It to have never happened. My legal advice after the last accident paying out 39k, is don't bother. Just how I imagine they want it.

I was just hoping they were wrong on the fabrication estimate, somehow. I see the curves and since I drive 400 miles at 80mph every weekend with my young son, knowing the car is safe is priority #1.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Did you get a second or third estimate?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:42 AM
omi
Newbie - Just Registered

Not yet. Progressive insurance is taking their time and finally today I take it to a shop I've used before. Progressive wanted the car in their own lot to be reviewed for an estimate so all I've been able to do is refuse that and force them to view it at this pricey shop. I'll find out what Progressive wants to settle for on the car and report back. At that time I don't need to continue with the same shop, I just hope the price isn't absolutely ridiculos. The last total I used this shop for went perfectly and well compensated.

I wish I was 16 years old just to enjoy the ignorance of the car buying process, if that's in my future.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Don't forget to look into diminished value claim. Many states have it. You have to file that claim with the at fault insurance, in that you can't file it with yours and have them subrogate the at fault insurer. Depending on age, and current depreciation, also what you get as a payout, you could be entitled to an extra $1000 or more easy. Also note, that you can file this claim even if the car isn't totaled.

Important point to make, you can't be at fault even in a % claim, has to 100% their fault for this to go smooth.

https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...lue-claim.aspx
Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 AM
omi
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for that link, good to know! And yes, Progressive (the kid that hit me) is taking 100% fault.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:14 PM

If that C pillar is bent or kinked , then yes it is frame on a Unibody car... Any pillar damage like that is always frame on Unibody.. Can it fixed? Yes.. will it be the same? No....