7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Static/hissing through RCA audio inputs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Static/hissing through RCA audio inputs

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 2014 SV without tech pkg. So, to my disappointment, it appears I am unable to stream Bluetooth audio from my phone directly. I went online and purchased a Hifi Bluetooth transmitter (Aptx HD, LDAC, Bluetooth 5.0, all that) to plug into the RCA inputs in the centre console/armrest as a workaround after finding this solution on the forums. It works fine; however, one huge flaw - I get a quiet hissing/static sound when in AUX mode.

The sound starts to become noticeable when the volume is turned up 1/4 - 1/2 way mark, and is ridiculously present after the half way mark. This happens even when the engine isn't running. I get the sound even when nothing is plugged into the RCA inputs (just when switched to AUX mode). I can notice it in quiet parts of songs, and it is getting really annoying. I do not get this static/hiss while listening to the radio (other than normal static) or when a CD is playing, or when listening to music from the USB port.

Clearly there is some sort of signal issue and I hear a noticeable loss in audio quality compared to other media. Is anyone else having this issue? I'm thinking there is something wrong with the internal connections, the RCA cable itself that runs to the stereo, or there is some electrical/magnetic interference form other electronics, or all three? Just to be very clear, I am not referring to a Bluetooth signal issue, this must be a cable quality, interference, or poor connection issue.

Any idea how difficult it might be to replace or magnetically shield the cable that runs from the deck to the armrest?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:49 PM

Have you tried your bluetooth receiver on a normal stereo system. If the static persists it might be a defective receiver or RCA to RCA cable.
Is the receiver that you have getting the correct voltage supply?

You'd want to rule out the easy stuff before condemning the actual RCA inputs on the vehicle. If you happen to have a RCA to 3.5mm cable, you can test if it's the vehicle RCA input causing the problem. Just plug the 3.5mm to a audio source and listen for static. If it turns out to be the RCA inputs then the panels are held on by screws and clips. I haven't tried it myself for my Maxima but panels and center consoles usually aren't too complex. Just buy some plastic panel pullers / wedges.

Also, the settings from your device can affect the audio quality. If you're streaming from a device with Windows OS, make sure the device is NOT outputting in bluetooth headset mode and is outputting in bluetooth speaker mode. Headset mode does not use the bluetooth 5.0 bandwidth or aptX codec and forces the device into Mono and not Stereo. If you're using an android or iOS it should know automatically. If you have an up to date android you can go into developer mode and manually change the specs of your bluetooth audio output.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello,
Thanks for the thoughtful response.
All my cords etc. are HIFI grade, used on various other equipment with no issues. The Bluetooth receiver works flawlessly on my home stereo - very impressive.
I tried to be clear in my post that I get the hiss sound simply when the source is selected to "Aux". No possibility for it to be any of my equipment, because the sound is there when NOTHING is even plugged in.

Does anyone else have this and know if it's relatively easy to remedy? Sound quality is a big deal for me...

Last edited by JRED1219; 06-04-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm guessing this is not a common issue. It must just be my car...

Does anyone have any idea where I could start to try and fix this issue? Does any one know where the AUX cable connects to the back of the head unit and how I might go about diagnosing this? Help is very much appreciated!

I really don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a new head unit installation just for this one feature when I am fine to use the aux bluetooth work around.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Old 06-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do the numbers on the AV control unit correspond to anything I could use for reference if I decide to open this can of worms?

This would be the first time ever touching anything inside of a car...
Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JRED1219
Do the numbers on the AV control unit correspond to anything I could use for reference if I decide to open this can of worms?

This would be the first time ever touching anything inside of a car...
There won't be any numbering or labeling when you're in there. You go off the wire color (huge problem for color blind techs). Keep in mind that this wiring schematic is from a 7th gen equipped with the Bose sound system, color display, and navigation. Not sure what your set up is but it should be similar. If you want to make sure you're still on the same wire, back probe one end with a multi-meter lead and another end with the other multi-meter lead. If there's no continuity, you're either on the wrong wire or there's a open in the circuit. If you're not up to the challenge then don't attempt it. When in doubt, pull out.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I opened it all up and nothing looks odd to me. Cable looks good. Problem still there...

I noticed also that the power outlet in the centre console is not working (not the one under the armrest, the one in the small compartment.

Could it be the head unit? I doubt it because when I select another source, i.e. usb or cd there is no issue...

Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM

I did have this issue a while back, took me a while to figure it out as mine too would play nice on the onkyo receiver in the house (same plugs and cords) I finally found that the usb-power adapter I was using was noisy in the car (i wasn't using that adapter when I plugged it in the house) Replaced it with a nice anker and voila, all better.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't think it's the usb port. I have mine powered the way you describe. A good quality usb charger separate from the factory usb outlet.

Also, the noise is there regardless of what's plugged in. It's there when nothing is plugged in. This is driving me insane.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 AM

You could pull the red and white LH and RH Aux connectors from the head unit and see if the hissing sound still comes through. If the hissing persists, it might be internal or bad ground.