7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Pictures of the engine (what do you think?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Pictures of the engine (what do you think?)

Attempted spark plugs today only to find out the valve covers are on back order.... While at it however i snapped a few pictures of the engine. What strikes your attention the most?)

Last edited by Qawmuh; 07-07-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 AM

Miss the days of old where a spark plug change with new wires, distributer cap, rotor and pcv valve too less than a hour. Now I wont even attempt it. Too much clutter.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Miss the days of old where a spark plug change with new wires, distributer cap, rotor and pcv valve too less than a hour. Now I wont even attempt it. Too much clutter.
Are yu saying this is too much to attempt? I really need to get this done.....
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Qawmuh
I'm just going to copy and paste what I said in another post about the valve cover job.

If you attempt the valve covers, keep everything organized, labeled, and take good quality pictures so you can back track if you forget where something goes. Give attention to detail and you get good results. Another way of organizing bolts is to leave them on the part you removed. Leave throttle body bolts on the throttle body and put it aside, valve cover, vacuum rail, vacuum solenoids, etc. You may want to check the condition of hoses before you go in because the vacuum hoses become brittle. I ended up changing all of mine out because some were cracked. Get a good RTV because you'll need RTV on the corners of the valve cover gasket. You'll see it when you remove the old ones. The fire resistant conduit on mine fell apart because it was old and brittle so I ended up wrapping new electrical tape and new conduit onto the harness. Try to keep debris from falling into the engine when taking things apart and if you can't complete the job the same day, cover exposed areas with a lint free cloth. Make sure you have a inch lb torque wrench and don't use excessive force to remove something. Compare the new part to the old part before removal to see if you missed bolts to remove then compare the parts themselves once you're able to. Like mentioned earlier, the spark plug seals are built into the valve cover but the valve cover doesn't come with the valve cover seal itself.
You'll have issues getting the corner of the valve cover out from under the main harness, circled in red. Just do your best not to damage any wires. You may also want to get a new upper intake manifold gasket because you have to remove it and shouldn't reuse gaskets. Check the spark plugs while you're on bank 1 (near firewall) since that's the only time you'll be able to check on their condition, with the intake runners off, or just do a tune up since it's probably due.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 PM

No I"m not saying that. A lot of people change their own plugs on these things, I'm just not one of them. I pay my dealership to do all of the maintenance, besides it come with a 1 year warranty and he does a great job. In my opinion the dollars are well spent.

Last edited by Richard66; 07-08-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:19 PM

I did it myself on mine and honestly it wasn't too bad but it wasn't a walk in the park either, I do know my way very well around a car and have worked on many cars my whole life growing up. As Richard66 said your better off paying a mechanic to do it this way the job gets done the right way an you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusN8
I did it myself on mine and honestly it wasn't too bad but it wasn't a walk in the park either, I do know my way very well around a car and have worked on many cars my whole life growing up. As Richard66 said your better off paying a mechanic to do it this way the job gets done the right way an you'll have nothing to worry about.
A mechanic is out of the question so i have to do it myself.....
Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 PM

A mechanic is out of the question so i have to do it myself.....
Take your time with it, Patience is the key to this. Take pictures of everything under the hood before you start taking things apart this way you can always reference back incase you need any reminder for what goes where, And as always the great people here on the forum will help you the best we can!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 PM

What I think: The car has been in a collision and suffered front end damage. Engine looks fine. Broken overflow tank tab. Loose computer module near power steering reservoir. Looks like someone has hacked some wiring at the harness near the dip stick handle. And what the hell is up with that radiator hose connection?

Did all six plugs on mine in less than an hour with intake manifold gasket. Don't go crazy with the torque on the plugs. Why do you need to replace rocker covers?

You can do it.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The front three plugs are easy

Originally Posted by Richard66
the back three I took to the shop replace everything back there while they got it open save money in long run ... I got every thing off Amazon took my parts it was alot cheaper that way