7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Maxima SV Suspension Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM

2011 Maxima SV Suspension Issue?

Alright so I’m having some issues with my 2011 Maxima SV. Months ago I was constantly hearing a clunking/popping sound when doing sharp turns or driving on steep yards. I found out that I had bad struts and a bad passenger axle from a mechanic I found. I took my car to Nissan first but they didn’t find the issue i was looking for and I’m tired of paying a $50 diagnosis just to find the problem. First i got my passenger axle replaced from Advanced auto parts late August. Then i just got my struts replaced about two weeks ago from a different mechanic. These mechanics I went to were highly recommended to me and I wasn’t about to spend thousands of dollars to have Nissan fix it. Both parts were rusted out and needed to be replaced but it didn’t solve the clunking/popping sound I was hearing. Another thing, when my struts were being replaced, my passenger axle came lose and the mechanic used zip tie to hold it in place. After having those parts replaced, the noise doesn’t happen as much as before when doing sharp turns but it’s happening when I’m on the highly going 60mph and up. I took my car to firestone and they told me that the noise could come from a bad engine mount, control arm, or that so could’ve gotten a bad passenger axle from advanced auto parts.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Yeah add in subframe. Retourque the bolts. Have the shop fix that axle they ziptied as well. Motor mounts are a pain and pricey, I had the front and rear done due to clunking...$$.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Yeah add in subframe. Retourque the bolts. Have the shop fix that axle they ziptied as well. Motor mounts are a pain and pricey, I had the front and rear done due to clunking...$$.
I uploaded a clip to get a better understanding of what I’m talking about
Old 11-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
I have a bad feeling that the issue is going to be pricey
Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by levonlynch
I have a bad feeling that the issue is going to be pricey
I agree here! That doesn't sound like a suspension problem that sounds like something is hitting onto something I would definitely get that axle checked and maybe have the catalytic converter checked as well, if the element inside the converter is broken you can hear a clunking noise especially when your at high speeds.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Control arm maybe, and hows that Axle being held by zip ties? You mean Axle boots most likely.....maybe the other Axle is going too. My guess is Axles, cheap after market Struts, Control Arms.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Control arm maybe, and hows that Axle being held by zip ties? You mean Axle boots most likely.....maybe the other Axle is going too. My guess is Axles, cheap after market Struts, Control Arms.
To be honest i don’t know. I just know the passenger axle I had just bought came loose when my passenger strut was being put on and they used zip ties until I get in contact with my other mechanic. I doubt if the struts were cheap I was thinking that the passenger axle was cheap. But who knows, you maybe right. When I finally be able to reach my mechanic I’ll ask him about my control arm because I was considering that as an issue as well once.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusN8
I agree here! That doesn't sound like a suspension problem that sounds like something is hitting onto something I would definitely get that axle checked and maybe have the catalytic converter checked as well, if the element inside the converter is broken you can hear a clunking noise especially when your at high speeds.
I severely hope that it’s the axle and nothing else. Thanks
Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by levonlynch
To be honest i don’t know. I just know the passenger axle I had just bought came loose when my passenger strut was being put on and they used zip ties until I get in contact with my other mechanic. I doubt if the struts were cheap I was thinking that the passenger axle was cheap. But who knows, you maybe right. When I finally be able to reach my mechanic I’ll ask him about my control arm because I was considering that as an issue as well once.
Ok, the right or passenger axle is held in with two BOLTS. ZIP TIES? Oh heck to the no!! Please go get that checked now! Sounds very dangerous to me.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:48 AM

I have/had a similar issue & posted on here as well. I replaced 3 of the 5 motor mounts and the lower driver side control arm (due to bushing) all was "diagnosed" by my dealership recommendation. It was difficult but not too hard. Unfortunately I seem to be "re-hearing" the same sound again. per above i wonder if my axles need to be replaced? the 2011 maxima SV has 98k miles.... hhhmmmm ??
Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2011_maxima
I have/had a similar issue & posted on here as well. I replaced 3 of the 5 motor mounts and the lower driver side control arm (due to bushing) all was "diagnosed" by my dealership recommendation. It was difficult but not too hard. Unfortunately I seem to be "re-hearing" the same sound again. per above i wonder if my axles need to be replaced? the 2011 maxima SV has 98k miles.... hhhmmmm ??
Man I am so sorry for that struggle and to have it comeback? And it’s sad how Nissan can’t even identify the problem to their own car.