8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Oh man that's no good for Maxima's image
Yeah unfortunately in recent years its presence in rental fleets is pretty high.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
Early speculation is the same 3.5VQ with a CVT but pushing at least 300HP

I'm still hoping for the 3.0TT or a different transmission option(PLEASE NISSAN!!!!!!! - the CVT sux) given that the LM race car is a FF set up
Someone on the org said that he heard from someone that heard it at the test track said that it sounded like a traditional automatic shifting.....It may be somewhere in this thread that we are in, but I remember reading that in here.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Yeah unfortunately in recent years its presence in rental fleets is pretty high.
I've noticed that, too. Almost never see the Maxima in Nissan national ads, either. It's like two years ago it became the car people forgot... except for rentals. Lots of Maxima rentals.

But you have to admit, it makes for one fine rental car. Even in base trim.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I've noticed that, too. Almost never see the Maxima in Nissan national ads, either. It's like two years ago it became the car people forgot... except for rentals. Lots of Maxima rentals.

Yuup it and the Z, Nissan did not do much for them in ads or upgrades to keep them fresh.... Yeah it makes for a good rental I will admit that!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
The 8th gen and then the Altima gets better watch in 2016 they're gonna make it more similar if not a step above you'll see. That's why the Maxima coming needs to be better so the Altima can't step on its toes as in the past. Nissan can do alot better I don't wanna see yall boys dissapointed as we were with the previous two generations.

That looks more like a Mazda
http://jalopnik.com/2016-nissan-maxi...r-s-1683457637
Trust me on this - Nissan has NO plans of supplanting Maxima with Altima as the flagship. None.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone on the org said that he heard from someone that heard it at the test track said that it sounded like a traditional automatic shifting.....It may be somewhere in this thread that we are in, but I remember reading that in here.
That would be awesome but then again, there's always the possibility that what they heard was the simulated auto mode. However, depending on how far north of 300hp the engine is tuned for, maybe Nissan decided the CVT's durability is questionable and has gone the traditional auto route?? Seems questionable though with Nissan being the CVT poster child now.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by niceguy
That would be awesome but then again, there's always the possibility that what they heard was the simulated auto mode. However, depending on how far north of 300hp the engine is tuned for, maybe Nissan decided the CVT's durability is questionable and has gone the traditional auto route?? Seems questionable though with Nissan being the CVT poster child now.
The only way that Nissan would have put a traditional automatic in the new Maxima is if there's a new engine in it. The current CVT used in the Maxim and Altima CVT is the Jatco JF010E designed for "up to 3.5L applications". The new CVT8 is the same - 2.0 to 3.5L applications.

Maybe they threw the VQ37VHR engine in the new Max.

Travis
Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester

You are exactly right. Nissan brings out a new generation Maxima, advertises it like crazy for a few months, then we see fewer and fewer ads, and by the second model year of a generation, we seldom see any more ads for it until the next generation. Nissan has done their Maxima (and Z) ads that way for several decades. I suppose they figure that, once the new generation has been out for a year, folks see it on the road every day, and will either like it and consider buying it, or not like it and not consider buying it. They may be right, but still one would think we would see at least a little ad support every year.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:04 AM

I hope Nissan does bring out a NISMO version of the 8th gen. For average family folks like me, the CVT and FWD work just fine. But some folks hope (even expect) a tad more from the Maxima. Even if the NISMO version had nothing additionally than a manual tranny, bigger wheels/tires, a tad more power and special aerodynamics, that would bring some old-time Maxima lovers back to the fold.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I hope Nissan does bring out a NISMO version of the 8th gen. For average family folks like me, the CVT and FWD work just fine. But some folks hope (even expect) a tad more from the Maxima. Even if the NISMO version had nothing additionally than a manual tranny, bigger wheels/tires, a tad more power and special aerodynamics, that would bring some old-time Maxima lovers back to the fold.
Light, I'm one of those folks of wanting a tad more from the Maxima, and true on your comment, I would purchase a nismo maxima even if it was not a lot performance added just finely tuned.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 AM

But some folks hope (even expect) a tad more from the Maxima.
I loved the 7th Gen. The design, the large yet secure driver's position, the confident power and handling for its class of car. If the 2009 Maxima had a manual transmission, I would have bought a brand new 7th Gen six years ago. That almost happened... but the CVT was a total deal-breaker.

And now in hindsight that comes from driving and modding a proper sport sedan, FWD is a total deal-breaker, too.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-07-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:16 AM

So there really isn't a 2015 Max?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:43 PM

I'm really like this new Maxima! I really hope there is a NISMO version with traditional automatic if not DCT. If not then I will hold onto my '09 Altima that I picked up because I wasn't feeling the 7th gen Maxima.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
I'm really like this new Maxima! I really hope there is a NISMO version with traditional automatic if not DCT. If not then I will hold onto my '09 Altima that I picked up because I wasn't feeling the 7th gen Maxima.
Nismo Altima
Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Administrator

This is what I've heard so far:

- Revised 3.5L over 300hp (not sure on exact number)
- Revised CVT, new D-Step programming with paddle shifters (not in all trims)
- FWD only (next gen Altima will get AWD, not sure if Maxima will follow)
- Standard & Sport modes
Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
This is what I've heard so far:

- Revised 3.5L over 300hp (not sure on exact number)
- Revised CVT, new D-Step programming with paddle shifters (not in all trims)
- FWD only (next gen Altima will get AWD, not sure if Maxima will follow)
- Standard & Sport modes

I think you probably heard correctly on the 3.5L and over 300 HP. I am guessing 306 HP, but would not be surprised by a little more.

I think you heard correctly on the revised CVT. It is very important that the 8th gen not have that 7th gen computer damping on takeoff.

I think you heard correctly on the FWD only. I can see an AWD option in the Altima, which Nissan hopes to sell 300,000. I am not sure Nissan would put AWD as an option in a low-volume vehicle such as the Maxima (Nissan aims to sell 70,000 Maximas). Maybe as a higher cost NISMO version sometime later this fall? Probably not.

I will be very interested in the Maxima lineup. Sounds like there will be a base Maxima, a Maxima with all the luxury features (Platinum), and a version with all the sporty stuff. Not too far from what we had with the 7th gen. One big difference is that, with the 8th gen, the type of Maxima will be specified in chrome letters/numbers on the rear. I like that.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-21-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 AM

Not sure how true this is, my fingers are crossed in hope it is true.

http://www.examiner.com/article/niss...ismo-treatment
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 AM

^^ I think a Nismo version is very possible. 300+hp as well (maybe 310'ish) which probably wont be much faster than the 7th gen.

I just wish they make a more aerodynamic chassis with a lower weight and less drag this time. I would like the car to feel more like a 5th gen rather than 6th gen if anyone gets my drift
Old 02-21-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by river57

I really like the grill and front end on this version.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM

I'm really hoping the Nismo version comes to production. AWD and AT instead of CVT would be preferable.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
I just wish they make a more aerodynamic chassis with a lower weight and less drag this time. I would like the car to feel more like a 5th gen rather than 6th gen if anyone gets my drift
I totally get you!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by river57

I realize that the photo came from Nissan, and shows hints of a certain Nissan supercar, but I seriously doubt any NISMO 8th gen Maxima would look like that. Why? Because virtually every exterior panel and part of that car would be totally different than the actual 8th gen, which would mean it is not a 'stepped-up' Maxima, but a totally new automobile.

If we get a NISMO 8th gen Maxima, it will be recognizable as the 8th gen Maxima with SOME parts replaced with NISMO parts, considerable attention given to aerodynamics, appropriate badging, and, most importantly, more power, possibly a manual or automatic tranny, and maybe (but doubtful) AWD.

Just my opinion based on the way Nissan has handled these things in the past.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I really like the grill and front end on this version.
Not that it's a bad thing, but that car looks way too much like a 7th gen.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 AM

Meanwhile Honda is worried about Nissan. Good job Nissan!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/honda-na...ent-1424674084
Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Meanwhile Honda is worried about Nissan. Good job Nissan!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/honda-na...ent-1424674084
I would read the article, but it requires a WSJ subscription. Not sure if anyone can post the article as text here...
Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jpiarull
I would read the article, but it requires a WSJ subscription. Not sure if anyone can post the article as text here...
No subscription for me but when I search on Takahiro Hachigo and Nissan I get to see the article.

Clip from WSJ article below.

TOKYO— Honda Motor Co. , seeking to move on from mass recalls involving quality glitches and faulty air bags, said Monday its chief executive would step down to make way for a low-profile engineer with extensive international experience.

The Japanese auto maker said Takahiro Hachigo, a managing officer based in China, will replace Takanobu Ito as president and chief executive in late June. Company insiders were surprised by the timing and the choice of Mr. Hachigo, who was promoted over more prominent executives.

The shift comes at a crucial juncture for Honda, which is being challenged in its biggest market, the U.S., by Nissan Motor Co. Long the third-ranking Japanese car maker in the U.S., Nissan is catching up to Honda, the second-place Japanese player in the U.S., behind Toyota Motor Corp.

Also see following article in the news.

http://fortune.com/2015/02/23/honda-ceo/

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-23-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 PM

2014 U.S. sales:

Honda - 1,540,872 - Up 1.0% from 2013
Nissan - 1,386,195 - up 11.1% from 2013

Two more years with that performance and Nissan will zip right past Honda.

Those numbers are from an Associated Press article a few weeks ago.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Interesting stuff CS_AR, but this isn't the thread for that Let's stay on topic.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Rumor has it that Maximas with the SR trim (think sporty) will have all black interior, blue stitching and suede inserts on the doors.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:58 PM

^^ ooh la la
Old 02-24-2015, 02:21 PM

Rumor has it that Maximas with the SR trim (think sporty) will have all black interior, blue stitching and suede inserts on the doors.

Zing before Bling
Old 02-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2003MaximaMan
Zing before Bling
I feel sure we will get a little zing to go with the bling. I will be very surprised if the HP isn't above 300, which is about all the power we should be asking for in a FWD vehicle. And if the new CVT does away with that computerized damping off the line, then we should be seeing elapsed times under 6 seconds. That should be sufficient for an affordable (and fairly large) family sedan with a sporty edge that is NOT an upscale brand.

If what the wizard heard is true for the sports version, that would be a popular interior choice. I would be opting for the 'platinum' because I have to have a lighter colored interior (and exterior) here in the baking oven of middle Georgia. Also, due to the very poor circulation in my hands (I think the circulation stopped back between age 75 and age 80), I MUST have a heated steering wheel much of the year. That will definitely be available in the platinum. Might be in the sport also.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:35 PM

I'd be curious to know where these tidbits came from?

I can tell you that the SR will ride on a specific set of wheels, have an SR specific spoiler and rocker panel/sill extensions as well as feature a set of paddles behind the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:53 PM

^^ I think a Nismo version is very possible. 300+hp as well (maybe 310'ish) which probably wont be much faster than the 7th gen.
I would imagine that a decently reprogrammed/revised CVT with less "torque management" would produce a noticeable increase in acceleration (assuming weight was similar) even without much increase in power/tq.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by niceguy
I would imagine that a decently reprogrammed/revised CVT with less "torque management" would produce a noticeable increase in acceleration (assuming weight was similar) even without much increase in power/tq.
True. I think weight is gonna play a big role. I hope they can keep it down to at least 7th gen numbers.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 AM

True. I think weight is gonna play a big role. I hope they can keep it down to at least 7th gen numbers.
I am going to slide a little way out on a limb and suggest the 8th gen will be in the same weight range as the 7th gen (there is no real reason to be much heavier), will have the off-the-line damping of the 7th gen CVT removed, and will have between fifteen and twenty more HP than the 7th gen, resulting in a zero to sixty time around 5.8. Not a track vehicle, but perfectly suited to Nissan's target audience - those looking for a little more than the Altima in style, fashion, ride, interior, handling, comfort, performance, etc.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM

I am going to slide a little way out on a limb and suggest the 8th gen will be in the same weight range as the 7th gen (there is no real reason to be much heavier), will have the off-the-line damping of the 7th gen CVT removed, and will have between fifteen and twenty more HP than the 7th gen, resulting in a zero to sixty time around 5.8. Not a track vehicle, but perfectly suited to Nissan's target audience - those looking for a little more than the Altima in style, fashion, ride, interior, handling, comfort, performance, etc.
It will probably be a bit heavier, that is just the trend these days with family/full size cars. More than likely the extra power will compensate for the extra weight. The 7th gen has been tested in the 5.7 to 6.1 sec range to 60 which is pretty much were Maxima's have been since the intro of the 3.5 in the 02 model year. I hope that if it is still a CVT and its heavily revised (think 13+ V6 Altima) that it will get off the line faster and definitely help it on the top end (after 80), which is where the 09-14 Maxima falls flat on its face. That revised CVT is partly why the V6 Altima traps a couple mph faster in the 1/4 mile on average than the Max

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 02-25-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM

It will probably be a bit heavier, that is just the trend these days with family/full size cars. More than likely the extra power will compensate for the extra weight. The 7th gen has been tested in the 5.7 to 6.1 sec range to 60 which is pretty much were Maxima's have been since the intro of the 3.5 in the 02 model year. I hope that if it is still a CVT and its heavily revised (think 13+ V6 Altima) that it will get off the line faster and definitely help it on the top end (after 80), which is where the 09-14 Maxima falls flat on its face. That revised CVT is partly why the V6 Altima traps a couple mph faster in the 1/4 mile on average than the Max
True. And we both know Nissan will not tolerate the newest generation of their flagship being slower off the line than the existing Altima. That would be more than a little embarrassing. Whatever HP is needed to edge the Altima will be there.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 AM

I realize that the photo came from Nissan, and shows hints of a certain Nissan supercar, but I seriously doubt any NISMO 8th gen Maxima would look like that. Why? Because virtually every exterior panel and part of that car would be totally different than the actual 8th gen, which would mean it is not a 'stepped-up' Maxima, but a totally new automobile.

If we get a NISMO 8th gen Maxima, it will be recognizable as the 8th gen Maxima with SOME parts replaced with NISMO parts, considerable attention given to aerodynamics, appropriate badging, and, most importantly, more power, possibly a manual or automatic tranny, and maybe (but doubtful) AWD.

Just my opinion based on the way Nissan has handled these things in the past.
Light, You are right, I believe this photo that accompanied the article was from the Nissan "mashup" of designs that was popular last year for people to mix up different models for Nissan.

And agree that an SR model is a little more realistic at this time than a Nismo. It would take some time for Nismo to do their R&D and release a model to the public. They have been way to busy with other models including their LM P as an example.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Possible Updates and Rumors regarding 2018 Maxima...

- Integrated exhaust tips on the rear fascia.
- All trims except for SR will have foam in the tires.
- More items for sound deadening.
- Platinum is getting 19" wheels.
- Front appearance should be close to the new Altima which is based on the Vision 2.0 concept.

Also, rumor has it that they are still trying to decide if there will be a next generation after this one, but the good news is that IF there is another one, it will NOT be on a FWD chassis...

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more