8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM

Test Drive

Below is the first independent test drive that I don't remember reading on this site. Forgive me if this is actually a repost. Some really nice comments that make me quite excited for my first test drive. Originated in Canada, so that explains the pricing.

"Assessing the dynamics of this new Maxima, its combination of ride and handling truly impressed. On bumpy surfaces, the four-wheel independent suspension effectively absorbed the shocks delivered by potholes and other irregularities, transferring little of those impacts into the impressively quiet cabin.

Yet it also felt well-planted in heavy cornering and at highway speeds, with minimal body roll. I think the engineering team has nailed this suspension system, which consists of subframe-mounted struts and coil springs up front and a multi-link, double wishbone design with monotube dampeners in the rear."

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/resea...ima/ar-AAbCIZP
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 AM

Nice find. Sounds like Nissan really hit a home run with the driving dynamics of the 8th gen Maxima! Can't wait to test drive the SR for myself before buying.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 AM

i can't wait, can't afford one either but that won't stop me from a test drive

I love my A32
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM

A most interesting read.

I felt this tester covered a lot more ground than some test drive writers do. I also felt he was more than fair by strictly testing the car on its merits, rather than bemoaning that the CVT and FWD automatically lowered the rating of the car.

He was also aware that the moonroof and or panoramic roof were deleted from the SR more for torsional rigidity than for lowering the center of gravity.

I suspected those testers test driving this car with an open mind would be very impressed, just as were the dealers who made the trip to Phoenix last month to test drive the car themselves, resulting in an immediate increase in dealership pre-orders.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
i can't wait, can't afford one either but that won't stop me from a test drive

I love my A32
Hang tough, Daniel. I began driving by moving semis and positioning trailers at loading docks on the lot of my uncle's trucking company in 1945. My first car was a used Studebaker in 1949. Yet, what with paying for my college years, purchasing a home, helping my parents, sending my kids to college, etc, my FIRST brand new car came after I was already on Medicare (which begins at age 65).

I did procure a series of demo Maximas and slightly used Maximas in the 1980s and early 1990s, and loved them. But This 8th gen will be my FOURTH brand new Maxima I will have purchased since going on Medicare in the 1990s. Good things often happen to those who invest wisely, do not spend what they do not have, and wait patiently.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-12-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 AM

Lol it still has bad turn radius

The steering system utilizes an electric power assist that varies with vehicle speed. I was surprised, however, by the amount of effort required to steer at low speeds. The heavy feel may not sit well with some drivers, especially when maneuvering the car in tight confines, such as trying to slip into a tight parking space
Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Hang tough, Daniel. I began driving by moving semis and positioning trailers at loading docks on the lot of my uncle's trucking company in 1945. My first car was a used Studebaker in 1949. Yet, what with paying for my college years, purchasing a home, helping my parents, sending my kids to college, etc, my FIRST brand new car came after I was already on Medicare (which begins at age 65).

I did procure a series of demo Maximas and slightly used Maximas in the 1980s and early 1990s, and loved them. But This 8th gen will be my FOURTH brand new Maxima I will have purchased since going on Medicare in the 1990s. Good things often happen to those who invest wisely, do not spend what they do not have, and wait patiently.
advice taken

I love my A32
Old 05-13-2015, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Lol it still has bad turn radius
Not quite.

The comment was regarding the STIFFNESS the steering wheel in a specific situation. But the TURNING RADIUS is EXCELLENT, as mentioned by buddahmanmatt in his post elsewhere here describing his test drive.

I feel sure the turning radius of the 8th gen will be as good or better than the 7th gen, which was a superb 37 feet. By comparison, the turning radius of the 6th gen was a rather cumbersome 41 feet.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-13-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 AM

Not quite.

The comment was regarding the STIFFNESS the steering wheel in a specific situation. But the TURNING RADIUS is EXCELLENT, as mentioned by buddahmanmatt in his post elsewhere here describing his test drive.

I feel sure the turning radius of the 8th gen will be as good or better than the 7th gen, which was a superb 37 feet. By comparison, the turning radius of the 6th gen was a rather cumbersome 41 feet.
Yes, as stated by someone who has reviewed the car, the turn radius is great on this Max generation and the performance is there. Glad Nissan took there time and got the styling, transmission, and performance right. It has totally been worth the wait.

Last edited by NissanFreak2000; 05-13-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM

Not quite.

Turning circle of the 8th gen is 38.1 feet versus 37.4 for the 7th gen so a bit larger but not much. You won't be able to feel it IMO and the steering at low speed is boosted enough that making a U-Turn should the need arise will be an easy task.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
Turning circle of the 8th gen is 38.1 feet versus 37.4 for the 7th gen so a bit larger but not much. You won't be able to feel it IMO and the steering at low speed is boosted enough that making a U-Turn should the need arise will be an easy task.
bruddahmanmatt - You never cease to amaze me with facts that totally reveal you to be a true Nissan insider. I am happy to know the exact turning radius of the 8th gen. It was important that it be under 40 feet, as anything over that (such as the 6th gen) can be messy to turn in tight spaces. I think somewhere between 39 and 40 feet is the 'breaking point.' The 7th gen was an amazing turner, and the 8th gen is within 7/10ths of a foot of that same radius.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 AM

Mister Light, yes I'm still lurking...

Please do send out the word when actual stock arrives at the showrooms. I have a dealer a mile away from me, and am always glancing in to see what is what as I drive past. I don't want to stop and go in until there is something to see, as the sales staff there runs on the 'up' system and will tackle you on sight.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by AlDente67
Mister Light, yes I'm still lurking...

Please do send out the word when actual stock arrives at the showrooms. I have a dealer a mile away from me, and am always glancing in to see what is what as I drive past. I don't want to stop and go in until there is something to see, as the sales staff there runs on the 'up' system and will tackle you on sight.

Ahhh . . . the old 'up' system. So common. Some folks love the negotiation process, and joust with the salesperson until a deal is reached. By contrast, I send my offer on a specific car to my dealer's internet manager, and they either accept or don't. If rejected, I wait a month or two and send the same offer back to the internet manager. There will eventually come a time when my offer is not far out of line with what they are letting that car go for, and my offer is then accepted.

I usually visit my dealer's lot very early on a Sunday morning, as there are no folks around until they open at noon. Gives me a chance to see all the Maximas up close, studying the window stickers, so as to know exactly what is on the car. I need that info before making any offer. Of course I check online and obtain the invoice price, as that is what I work from.

Another way to see what Maximas are at a given dealer is to go on nissanusa.com and check through the inventory of whatever dealer you are interested in. Dealers can also move a car from another dealership if you find exactly what you want at a dealer other than your own. I had that done with my '04 and my '09.

Somehow, I suspect you will have no trouble finding out when the 8th gens begin arriving at dealers. This site will be abuzz for sure.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-18-2015 at 09:50 PM.