8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima "First Drive" Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Sad to see the Maxima getting beaten by the Acura ouchie.

What about mazda6 vs Maxima for driving?

This aint no 4dsc, told ya.

2016 Nissan Maxima Review - First Drive - YouTube

Craig Cole and his review. So funny
Everyone sees this car differently. And I doubt there will be many folks saying the Acura beats the Maxima. In fact, the second review of that linked series of reviews specifically said this Maxima is a clear step above the TLX.

I recently read an article I had saved by Mark Phelan of the Detroit Free Press regarding his testing of the TLX. Here are a few of his remarks:

'The TLX's engine is less powerful than competitors' 6 cylinder engines, with the lowest torque and horsepower in the group. That leads to acceleration that is adequate but unexciting.'

'The nine speed transmission . . . . controls seem non-intuitive. Rather than a shift, dial or convential buttons, Acura . . . places buttons at several different angles in the center console. In the weeklong test, I never got used to it.'

'The TLX SH-AWD's handling is less invigorating than its sportier competitors.'

In the first two linked reviews, the testers kept saying things like 'Nissan hit a home run with this car' and 'Nissan knocked this out of the park' and other very nice phrases. The only negative in those first two reviews was the guy who stated unequivacally that he was a 'manual guy' and totally unaccepting of a CVT in this car. With a mind that closed, we wouldn't expect him to like the CVT, which he nevertheless found very impressive for a CVT.

I didn't watch the third review due to its length (45 minutes?).

Those who don't like this 2016 Maxima are not forced to buy it. But there will come a time when the many positive reviews of this car will leave those hunting for shortcomings to understand that, although this car is not perfect for everyone, it is an excellent combination of very good performance and features for the price, and will meet or exceed the expectations of MOST Maxima buyers.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-08-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 AM

I'm holding off on my judgement of this car for a while. I've some read some initial reviews when the embargo was lifted that read like press releases. I find some of the smaller, independent reviews never say anything bad against a car, probably in case they are blacklisted by the manufacturer. Some of the more popular reviewers often seem to have too many positive things to say about vehicles, when others list negatives. So I'm highly sceptical (and maybe pessimistic) that the current reviews are truly indicative of the car. It's kind of like when you buy a new car, it's oohs and aahs for the first weeks because it's new and shiny, but once you start living with it for a few months, you start to find things that you don't like. Or is that just me! lol
Old 06-08-2015, 06:55 AM

You are exactly right. Often times the reviews come across as commercials for the car. You wonder who actually wrote the review.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
You are exactly right. Often times the reviews come across as commercials for the car. You wonder who actually wrote the review.
I'm pretty sure the reviewers do, but they're afraid to get blacklisted. As much as I don't like Jack Baruth, he at least highlights the negatives.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Everyone sees this car differently. And I doubt there will be many folks saying the Acura beats the Maxima. In fact, the second review of that linked series of reviews specifically said this Maxima is a clear step above the TLX.

'The TLX's engine is less powerful than competitors' 6 cylinder engines, with the lowest torque and horsepower in the group. That leads to acceleration that is adequate but unexciting.'

'The nine speed transmission . . . . controls seem non-intuitive. Rather than a shift, dial or convential buttons, Acura . . . places buttons at several different angles in the center console. In the weeklong test, I never got used to it.'

'The TLX SH-AWD's handling is less invigorating than its sportier competitors.'

In the first two linked reviews, the testers kept saying things like 'Nissan hit a home run with this car' and 'Nissan knocked this out of the park' and other very nice phrases. The only negative in those first two reviews was the guy who stated unequivacally that he was a 'manual guy' and totally unaccepting of a CVT in this car. With a mind that closed, we wouldn't expect him to like the CVT, which he nevertheless found very impressive for a CVT.

I didn't watch the third review due to its length (45 minutes?).

Those who don't like this 2016 Maxima are not forced to buy it. But there will come a time when the many positive reviews of this car will leave those hunting for shortcomings to understand that, although this car is not perfect for everyone, it is an excellent combination of very good performance and features for the price, and will meet or exceed the expectations of MOST Maxima buyers.
Light now lets get real, it has been a mixed bag of reviews for the TLX and initially for '16 Maxima as well. Lets not gloat the Maxima and try to down the TLX V6 as I have read some good reviews of it as well. The TLX V6 may be down on power but it sure puts up some great numbers for only having 290hp, 5.7 sec to 60, 14.2@103 in the 1/4 is hardly adequate, thats pretty fast. Its on par with the more powerful IS350 and ATS Premium and even trapped a mph or 2 faster in the 1/4. Its 103 mph trap speed with only 290hp indicates its making some good power up top, several mph faster than the 290hp 7th gen could muster in the 1/4. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...lx-35l-fwd.pdf
Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah curious to see how the trap is affected by the revised cvt
Old 06-08-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by george__
What about mazda6 vs Maxima for driving?
Mazda 6 doesn't compete with the Maxima anyway.

Maxima = Chevy Impala, Toyota Avalon, etc.

Altima - Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Honda Accord, etc.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Light now lets get real, it has been a mixed bag of reviews for the TLX and initially for '16 Maxima as well. Lets not gloat the Maxima and try to down the TLX V6 as I have read some good reviews of it as well. The TLX V6 may be down on power but it sure puts up some great numbers for only having 290hp, 5.7 sec to 60, 14.2@103 in the 1/4 is hardly adequate, thats pretty fast. Its on par with the more powerful IS350 and ATS Premium and even trapped a mph or 2 faster in the 1/4. Its 103 mph trap speed with only 290hp indicates its making some good power up top, several mph faster than the 290hp 7th gen could muster in the 1/4. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...lx-35l-fwd.pdf
I was actually responding to that earlier post saying that it was 'sad to see the Maxima getting beat by the Acura' statement. There is nothing really wrong with the new TLX. It is sort of a conservative, neat-looking vehicle that my son is looking at rather closely. I would have absolutely no problem having one in my driveway.

But, based on everything I have seen and read so far, I don't understand that 'sad to see the Maxima getting beat by the Acura' statement. Especially since the TLX is supposed to be a luxury vehicle, while the Maxima is only 'near-luxury.'
Old 06-09-2015, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Mazda 6 doesn't compete with the Maxima anyway.

Maxima = Chevy Impala, Toyota Avalon, etc.

Altima - Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Honda Accord, etc.
It doesn't but it's one of the few midsize sedans that has positive driving characteristics. So I think it's a fair comparison. You don't buy a Camry or Accord for their handling.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 AM

I was actually responding to that earlier post saying that it was 'sad to see the Maxima getting beat by the Acura' statement. There is nothing really wrong with the new TLX. It is sort of a conservative, neat-looking vehicle that my son is looking at rather closely. I would have absolutely no problem having one in my driveway.

But, based on everything I have seen and read so far, I don't understand that 'sad to see the Maxima getting beat by the Acura' statement. Especially since the TLX is supposed to be a luxury vehicle, while the Maxima is only 'near-luxury.'
The FWD TLX is pretty much a direct competitor to the Maxima, as they have pretty much the same specs and the interior of the new Maxima is on par with the TLX. This is a very smart move by Nissan.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
The FWD TLX is pretty much a direct competitor to the Maxima, as they have pretty much the same specs and the interior of the new Maxima is on par with the TLX. This is a very smart move by Nissan.
I agree, and this has been for some time. Looking at the 2002 Maxima brochure they listed the TL as a competitor (model yr before G35 appeared). The only reason that they don't compare the two as much anymore is because of the Infiniti G was introduced in 02 as an 03 model. Spec wise since the TL/TLX formerly Vigor vs the Maxima have had very similar specs since 95. Since Nissan starting "marketing" the car as a full size car which in full respect its not as by EPA standards its a midsize, they are doing that to try to make it have an identity/ competitors. In all respect the TL/TLX is the closest car in mission and market to the Maxima; premium, powerful FWD car with some luxury and sport pretensions.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:11 PM

I agree, and this has been for some time. Looking at the 2002 Maxima brochure they listed the TL as a competitor (model yr before G35 appeared). The only reason that they don't compare the two as much anymore is because of the Infiniti G was introduced in 02 as an 03 model. Spec wise since the TL/TLX formerly Vigor vs the Maxima have had very similar specs since 95. Since Nissan starting "marketing" the car as a full size car which in full respect its not as by EPA standards its a midsize, they are doing that to try to make it have an identity/ competitors. In all respect the TL/TLX is the closest car in mission and market to the Maxima; premium, powerful FWD car with some luxury and sport pretensions.
I also agree that the TLX and Maxima are competitors. I never felt really comfortable with the Avalon and Maxima being competitors. Nothing really wrong with the Avalon, but I always felt it was more in competition with upscale versions of the Buick. Very comfortable and relatively roomy, but more plush than sporty.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 PM

I also agree that the TLX and Maxima are competitors. I never felt really comfortable with the Avalon and Maxima being competitors. Nothing really wrong with the Avalon, but I always felt it was more in competition with upscale versions of the Buick. Very comfortable and relatively roomy, but more plush than sporty.
I concur, partly Nissans own fault for marketing a "sporty midsize" as a Full size (Avalon/Impala) car recently..... The car did fine without that!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM

FIrst acceleration vid?

The faux "shift" before 60? Come on Nissan, I know you want to keep it in the power band but my 02 can hit 60 in 2nd...
I was seriously considering this car but all the reviews have made my CVT reservations true. A Q50 can be had for about the same price as a SR and it comes with a 7 speed, RWD, 5 secondish 60 times, sub/mid 14 quarters, and equal luxury (although I do think the Maxima interior is absolutely gorgeous- I also have learned to love the new look). Give this a proper tranny...

edit: grammar

Last edited by 95VQ30; 06-09-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM

I concur, partly Nissans own fault for marketing a "sporty midsize" as a Full size (Avalon/Impala) car recently..... The car did fine without that!
Hmmm, I thought I already replied to this.

I think Nissan marketed the Maxima as a full size to distance it from the Altima.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
Hmmm, I thought I already replied to this.

I think Nissan marketed the Maxima as a full size to distance it from the Altima.
Full size does not necessarily mean more luxury, its size (actually the "midsized" Altima had more interior room and certain dimensions larger than the "full sized" 7th gen). There are many cars classified as midsize cars that offer more features/luxury than certain full size cars.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 06-09-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
FIrst acceleration vid?

The faux "shift" before 60? Come on Nissan, I know you want to keep it in the power band but my 02 can hit 60 in 2nd...
I was seriously considering this car but all the reviews have made my CVT reservations true. A Q50 can be had for about the same price as a SR and it comes with a 7 speed, RWD, 5 secondish 60 times, sub/mid 14 quarters, and equal luxury (although I do think the Maxima interior is absolutely gorgeous- I also have learned to love the new look). Give this a proper tranny...

edit: grammar
The shifts are a little close, but you have to take into account it has more "gears" than your 02 as well. There's also the paddle shifters that could improve this. Drive the car before you knock it.

They're not going to put any other tranny in it so this is really turning into a dead horse...
Old 06-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by NissLover
The shifts are a little close, but you have to take into account it has more "gears" than your 02 as well. There's also the paddle shifters that could improve this. Drive the car before you knock it.

They're not going to put any other tranny in it so this is really turning into a dead horse...
Exactly! If someone wants to stay in the family, great, then get the q50 or move to another brand.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:26 AM

New review of the SR Model.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
So that tester is a fan of the new Maxima. He mentioned almost every new feature. And, although admitting he is not a fan of CVTs, he also admiited that he likes the CVT on this 8th gen, and feels this really is a fun-to-drive, very well appointed car that is quite sporty.

He sees this car pretty much as I do. We like it a lot.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:41 PM

CSM: http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...car-cool-again

Remember the Days when the Maxima and the Z have the same engine for 4DSC?
3 Liters, 3.5 Liters. Now the Maxima is still on 3.5 while the Z hit 3.7. In reality, the G37 (Q50, which I argue at auto shows of being a bad name.) is the real 4DSC. Ever since the 6 gen, I kinda think the Maxima is the "luxury" Altima, until I found a G35 and an Altima parked next to each other. I much prefer the Maxima being a Nissan G37 than a luxury Altima. At least the Maxima will reclaim the 4 door Z idea.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
CSM: http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...car-cool-again

Remember the Days when the Maxima and the Z have the same engine for 4DSC?
3 Liters, 3.5 Liters. Now the Maxima is still on 3.5 while the Z hit 3.7. In reality, the G37 (Q50, which I argue at auto shows of being a bad name.) is the real 4DSC. Ever since the 6 gen, I kinda think the Maxima is the "luxury" Altima, until I found a G35 and an Altima parked next to each other. I much prefer the Maxima being a Nissan G37 than a luxury Altima. At least the Maxima will reclaim the 4 door Z idea.
Yep. When Nissan first mounted the Z engine in the Maxima (2nd gen 1985 model), I bought two - one for me and one for my wife. We put over 200K miles on each of those. That was also the first year the Maxima was FWD, and the first year a diesel option was not available. Nissan had to mount the Z engine SIDEWAYS into the Maxima engine bay, so the oil filter was jammed against the firewall, and mechanics complained of burning their hands every time I had my oil changed.

The Q50 on paper was quite the car. But something went wrong somewhere, and it has never gotten the really good reviews from testers, nor has it measured up in the reliability department.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Yep. When Nissan first mounted the Z engine in the Maxima (2nd gen 1985 model), I bought two - one for me and one for my wife. We put over 200K miles on each of those. That was also the first year the Maxima was FWD, and the first year a diesel option was not available. Nissan had to mount the Z engine SIDEWAYS into the Maxima engine bay, so the oil filter was jammed against the firewall, and mechanics complained of burning their hands every time I had my oil changed.
Actually before that the 1st gen Maxima (81-84) and 280ZX (79-83) shared the Inline 6 Lseries motor, minor differences between the L24E and L28E but basically the same engine.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 AM

Actually before that the 1st gen Maxima (81-84) and 280ZX (79-83) shared the Inline 6 Lseries motor, minor differences between the L24E and L28E but basically the same engine.
Interesting info. I was aware of the big changes made in the 1985 Maxima, but had not realized the Maxima and Z power plants were so close prior to the '85 models. I was still wheeling around in my 5 speed manual 1978 Datsun 200SX while the first gen Maximas were on the street. I did like the looks of the first gen Maximas, but they seemed quite low to the ground.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Here is another review from MikesCarinfo. This time he has a Platinum with the upgraded wheels..
Check it out:
Old 07-09-2015, 07:32 AM

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485582,00.asp
Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Co-choice as their midsize sedan of the year award.

The sedan the Maxima shares the award with (Chrysler 300C) 2014 model has a much worse than average (lowest possible rating) reliability rating by Consumer Reports, while the Maxima has generally been more reliable than average for several years. The 300C styling is also now very long in the teeth. Chrysler is going to have to redo the 300 series very soon.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 PM

That's not a review, it's a Nissan marketing release.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
That's not a review, it's a Nissan marketing release.
And WTF with a PC website doing car reviews anyway?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
And WTF with a PC website doing car reviews anyway?
I agree!!!