8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

I hope the safety rating goes up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM

I hope the safety rating goes up

How long do you all think it will take before this car gets ranked by a IIHS or some other org?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:46 AM

Probably a few months away. These ratings are never done at intro time. Maybe this fall. The safety rating of the 7th gen (2009 thru 2014) is for a car designed in 2006, that first went on sale in June of 2008.

There have been many improvements in car safety since that 2006 design, and the 2016 Maxima will easily surpass the 7th gen in safety tests. Some of the safety test we have now did not even exist when the 7th gen was designed.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 AM

I happened to come across some interesting details as to how Nissan Engineers working
with the steel industry improved the torsional rigidty by 25% with the use of Ultra High Strength Steel.
I would be very surprised if the 2016 Maxima Safety rating didn't increase.

For all the details please go to this URL
http://www.autosteel.org/~/media/Fil...y%20Maxima.pdf

Randy
Old 06-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Yes, this 2016 Maxima is an entirely redesigned vehicle, and nothing from the 7th gen has any connection to this new Maxima. Safety has come to have far more interest from buyers than it did in 2006, when the 7th gen was being designed. Nissan will have taken great pains to be sure this important new flagship meets all safety standards. Otherwise, the plush stitched upholstery and flat-bottomed steering wheel are wasted.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM

All we can do is wait and see till its tested, their has been several new versions of a car that performed not as good as older versions. We shall soon see.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
All we can do is wait and see till its tested, their has been several new versions of a car that performed not as good as older versions. We shall soon see.
We would like it to be soon, but sometimes things seem to move at the pace of my grandfather's horse-drawn buckboard. He lived from 1870 to 1956, and never had a motorized vehicle on his property. His most important safety item was to hold his breath for ten seconds or more each time the horse pulling his buckboard passed air.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
We would like it to be soon, but sometimes things seem to move at the pace of my grandfather's horse-drawn buckboard. He lived from 1870 to 1956, and never had a motorized vehicle on his property. His most important safety item was to hold his breath for ten seconds or more each time the horse pulling his buckboard passed air.
So true Light, just like we are still waiting to see an actual "road test" from one of the big car mags!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 PM

So true Light, just like we are still waiting to see an actual "road test" from one of the big car mags!
I have gradually come to understand that car mags are going the way of other mags. For instance, the June issue of most any mag reaches the newsstands no later than May 1st. It probably left the printers no later than April 20th. It probably went to the printers no later than April 5th. It probably passed final pre-print screening no later than March 25th. It probably contains articles that were written during the February 20th to March 20th period. Those articles were probably written regarding test drives that were made during the January 20th to February 20th period. And so on. And so on.

That may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but not too far astray.

I get lots of publications (most not automotive in nature), and am finding it rather impressive that some mags are still surviving in this era of instant gratification via the internet. More and more, mags contain articles covering events and things that are happening soon, rather than spouting the news of things that have actually happened, which is stale by the time it reaches readers.

TV shows have less of an excuse. For instance, Motor Week on PBS could have tested the new Maxima in late May and released their test report right after the allowable June 3rd Nissan restricted date. But not a peep. Motor Week is spending their time testing Bughattis and McLarens and Lamborginis and other vehicles affordable to around 1% of viewers. Whatever . . .
Old 07-01-2015, 08:33 PM

I have gradually come to understand that car mags are going the way of other mags. For instance, the June issue of most any mag reaches the newsstands no later than May 1st. It probably left the printers no later than April 20th. It probably went to the printers no later than April 5th. It probably passed final pre-print screening no later than March 25th. It probably contains articles that were written during the February 20th to March 20th period. Those articles were probably written regarding test drives that were made during the January 20th to February 20th period. And so on. And so on.

That may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but not too far astray.

I get lots of publications (most not automotive in nature), and am finding it rather impressive that some mags are still surviving in this era of instant gratification via the internet. More and more, mags contain articles covering events and things that are happening soon, rather than spouting the news of things that have actually happened, which is stale by the time it reaches readers.

TV shows have less of an excuse. For instance, Motor Week on PBS could have tested the new Maxima in late May and released their test report right after the allowable June 3rd Nissan restricted date. But not a peep. Motor Week is spending their time testing Bughattis and McLarens and Lamborginis and other vehicles affordable to around 1% of viewers. Whatever . . .
Hey Light I was referring to the internet version of these mags which most of us read now instead of the actual mag. If it were a BMW or Honda mfg product it would be front page and road tested about 3 times by now....lol. When gen 4 through 7 were introduced they made front page of C/D, M/T, R/T in June or July issue when they were introduced. No such luck here. I still recall the pic of the White 95 SE on the cover of the June 1994 issue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUNE-1994-CA...-/121619008194
Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 PM

Hey Light I was referring to the internet version of these mags which most of us read now instead of the actual mag. If it were a BMW or Honda mfg product it would be front page and road tested about 3 times by now....lol. When gen 4 through 7 were introduced they made front page of C/D, M/T, R/T in June or July issue when they were introduced. No such luck here. I still recall the pic of the White 95 SE on the cover of the June 1994 issue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUNE-1994-CA...-/121619008194
Oh, now I understand what you were saying. I still live in the past, where the news stand was the center of my universe. Considering that the 2016 is the first new Maxima model since the 7th gen went on sale in June of 2008, it really is surprising that the net version of the mags have not grabbed on to it a little quicker.

I'm sure that there are those here (like you) checking the net frequently, hoping to see something about this 2016 Maxima. Surely there will be coverage fairly soon.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Oh, now I understand what you were saying. I still live in the past, where the news stand was the center of my universe. Considering that the 2016 is the first new Maxima model since the 7th gen went on sale in June of 2008, it really is surprising that the net version of the mags have not grabbed on to it a little quicker.

I'm sure that there are those here (like you) checking the net frequently, hoping to see something about this 2016 Maxima. Surely there will be coverage fairly soon.
I used to spend hours and hours reading magazines, rugby, electric guitars, music, cars, computers etc. I miss that era.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
I used to spend hours and hours reading magazines, rugby, electric guitars, music, cars, computers etc. I miss that era.

I miss that era too!