8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Bose Centerpoint

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Bose Centerpoint

When I go to audio settings there is a setting where it says Bose Centerpoint and on the right of that it says On ,but if I click on it I cannot turn it off or on. I don't even know what this is supposed to do if anything. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:30 PM

It could be nothing but centering the balance of the speakers - left and right side.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 PM

it's just a surround sound enhancement. you can only activate it for non-radio media like bluetooth audio, CD, USB, etc. it won't work for radio, which is why it is grayed out.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:59 PM
cnp

Originally Posted by WasDmater
When I go to audio settings there is a setting where it says Bose Centerpoint and on the right of that it says On ,but if I click on it I cannot turn it off or on. I don't even know what this is supposed to do if anything. Anyone know anything about this?
It looks like a sound processing trick to try and divide a stereo signal in multiple channels to open up the sound. Here is a blurb from Bose when introduced for Cadillac:
"For a surround-sound experience across all rows in the Escalade, Bose applied Centerpoint® 2.0 signal processing. Centerpoint 2.0 uses a proprietary Bose algorithm to analyze the stereo signal and convert it into multiple channels, enabling greater detail when reproducing music from nearly any source, including AM/FM or satellite radio, CDs and digital music files."
And to turn it off, if you click it the orange button should extinguish. It is not the clearest user interface, as the "Centerpoint On" tab still is present, but the difference should be the orange button goes on or off. Would be better if went from "On" to "Off".
Old 07-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The speaker setup drives me a bit crazy. It always feels like i have water in my right ear or need to pop my ear. I guess its how they're dividing the channels. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by trafflux
The speaker setup drives me a bit crazy. It always feels like i have water in my right ear or need to pop my ear. I guess its how they're dividing the channels. Anyone else experience this?
I experienced this on the test drive. Upon digging, the Bose sound system uses sound canceling technology to make for a quieter ride. In short it produces the opposite waveform of the sound (wind, tire noise etc). This in turn can produce pressure waves, which can affect some people. I am one of them. I can't stand to ride in one with the bose. There is no off switch
Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maxron
I experienced this on the test drive. Upon digging, the Bose sound system uses sound canceling technology to make for a quieter ride. In short it produces the opposite waveform of the sound (wind, tire noise etc). This in turn can produce pressure waves, which can affect some people. I am one of them. I can't stand to ride in one with the bose. There is no off switch
Interesting. I never heard of that before. I always turn off radio during test drive i am sure i am not alone. Anyone else experience this? I have literally never heard of this issue on any car before. Wouldnt the cancelling noise change with the driving conditions? For example speed up a tony bit to change the pitch? Is it always an issue for you?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by steevo
Interesting. I never heard of that before. I always turn off radio during test drive i am sure i am not alone. Anyone else experience this? I have literally never heard of this issue on any car before. Wouldnt the cancelling noise change with the driving conditions? For example speed up a tony bit to change the pitch? Is it always an issue for you?
Yes it changes with driving conditions. I only had a problem at highway speeds 55 and up. I think even with the radio off, it still uses speakers to cancel noise. From what I can understand, they know the frequencies of the wind, tires, muffler etc at different speeds and target only those frequencies. I looked into how to disable this and the only way is to cut the wires from the microphones, on the wiring harness I also drove a sv without bose and did not have an issue. Weird I know.