8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Dealer find your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM

Dealer find your car?

Anyone have a dealer find your car and bring it in from another dealer? how did that process go? Any issues? What was the time line and the process? I want to pick the exact car with the exact options in Pearl White, and thats very limited at the dealer I always go to so I'll likely go this route.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Haven't done it for years but as long as your dealer has a good rapport with other dealers and the car you are looking for is available it shouldn't take more than a couple of days. If I remember correctly and I doubt it it was about three days for me from start to finish. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Before I purchased my SL, I had some interest in an SR or an SR Midnight and my dealer found various options from other dealers and presented those to me. I got the impression it would only take a few days to get the vehicle.

The one thing my salesperson mentioned is that the price might be slightly different for a vehicle they had to acquire since it wasn't one that was in their inventory. Something about vehicles on their lot being priced to move and finding one for me wouldn't reduce the number of cars they had, blah blah blah, etc. I didn't end up going that route, but it might be something to keep in mind.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM

Dealerships usually increase the price by $500 to locate and get it from another dealership.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM

$500 isn't a bad deal to get the car exactly either- but I would expect a decent discount on the SL even so. They have a bunch on the lot but nothing that I really want.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:26 PM

For my last three Maximas ('04, '09 and '16), I logged onto nissanusa.com every few days and searched nearby dealers inventory (expanding the search area miles until I found the exact car I wanted within reasonable distance), then sent an offer on the exact car I wanted, including the VIN #, to the internet manager at my dealer.

In earlier years, they tended to make a counteroffer. But since I have used only my dealer for all automotive needs (including tires and batteries) for over 20 years, they no longer bother with counteroffers. They simply trade one of their cars for the car I want at the other dealership, prep it, and tell me when it is ready. Usually just three days or so, unless I have asked them to add certain options after getting the car. Some options, such as the special rear diffuser/valence, are almost never on cars arriving from the Smyrna assembly plant, and I usually have my dealer add such accessories after they get the car.

My last two Maximas had to be brought in from several counties away (around sixty to seventy miles each), but that was no problem.

Some dealers will be more accepting of this type deal than others. My dealer will do almost anything for me, but the dealers I used between 1949 and when I switched to Datsun/Nissan in 1978 were not so accomodating.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
For my last three Maximas ('04, '09 and '16), I logged onto nissanusa.com every few days and searched nearby dealers inventory (expanding the search area miles until I found the exact car I wanted within reasonable distance), then sent an offer on the exact car I wanted, including the VIN #, to the internet manager at my dealer.

In earlier years, they tended to make a counteroffer. But since I have used only my dealer for all automotive needs (including tires and batteries) for over 20 years, they no longer bother with counteroffers. They simply trade one of their cars for the car I want at the other dealership, prep it, and tell me when it is ready. Usually just three days or so, unless I have asked them to add certain options after getting the car. Some options, such as the special rear diffuser/valence, are almost never on cars arriving from the Smyrna assembly plant, and I usually have my dealer add such accessories after they get the car.

My last two Maximas had to be brought in from several counties away (around sixty to seventy miles each), but that was no problem.

Some dealers will be more accepting of this type deal than others. My dealer will do almost anything for me, but the dealers I used between 1949 and when I switched to Datsun/Nissan in 1978 were not so accomodating.

Good luck.
LOTH do you find the pricing to be still good in terms of discounts using this locate process?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
$500 isn't a bad deal to get the car exactly either- but I would expect a decent discount on the SL even so. They have a bunch on the lot but nothing that I really want.
Its a small price to pay, but can be avoided if you can locate a dealer yourself that has it. Just curious what configuration you're looking for, since Nissan isn't doing packages on the Maxima, just 5 trim levels with added accessories. The 2017s are in stock now, so the incentives on the 16s should be going up starting next month. (currently same as last few months).
Old 07-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wanted the midnight edition package, but one wasn't available so I asked them to custom order. They suggested getting the base model SR from another dealer and adding the options themselves. The process was pretty easy, but it took about 3 weeks for the car to deliver from NYC to upstate NY, then maybe 2 days to install all the options. They didn't add any explicit "transfer" cost to the car to do so.

As a few others mention, I think it is really dealer dependent on how smooth the process goes.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 AM

My dealer didn't have any white sl's.....negotiated the price, and he got it from another dealer, no fees. Got it the next day.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by suzook
My dealer didn't have any white sl's.....negotiated the price, and he got it from another dealer, no fees. Got it the next day.
Thats the car I'm likely going with- they didnt claim there would be an issue with a good price going that route? Did you have to make a deposit on it before they had it?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 PM

LOTH do you find the pricing to be still good in terms of discounts using this locate process?
When the car on which I am making an offer is to be moved from another dealership, I add an entry to my email offer which I call 'Swapping/moving expenses.' I set that price as $350 when the 2000 Maxima had to be moved 75 miles, and $300 for the 2004 and 2009 Maximas, which had to be moved around 50 miles. Those amounts were never questioned. I have no way of knowing whether the dealer expenses might have been higher or lower, or if they simply decided the amount I offered was not going to stand in the way of their making a sale.

One advantage of finding my car via the dealer inventory on nissanusa.com is that Nissan usually adds cars to dealer inventories before they have actually arrived at the dealer lots, so I made an offer on my 2009 Maxima before it arrived at the dealer, and nailed it down before the shipping padding had been removed and the car test-driven by some of the frustrated race car drivers we see here on maxima.org.

Every dealer is different. I may be lucky to have the dealer I have.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Thats the car I'm likely going with- they didnt claim there would be an issue with a good price going that route? Did you have to make a deposit on it before they had it?
I checked inventory online, then went in and told salesman, I want 16 pearl white with charcoal, SL, $34k and 0% promo. Left $1k deposit, he had vehicle next day. Very good dealer.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:15 PM

I was thinking offering $33k for a white SL with the 0%, same idea.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM

The dealer website shows slightly different models than the nissan locator- which is more likely correct? There are no photos on the dealer site of the models that don't match like 2 are an SVs on dealer website but the nissan shows them as platinums?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 PM

The dealer website shows slightly different models than the nissan locator- which is more likely correct? There are no photos on the dealer site of the models that don't match like 2 are an SVs on dealer website but the nissan shows them as platinums?
Nissan knows what they sent to each dealer, but sometimes things get changed. The owner of my dealership has three Nissan dealerships, one KIA dealership and one Toyota dealership, all within a fifty mile radius. Depending on what is selling where, he has been known to move cars around between his Nissan dealerships.

Dealer websites are notoriously inaccurate and incomplete, and are usually not maintained very well. I remember finding a car equipped as I wanted, and had been searching for without success. It was sitting on the back lot of a dealership around seventy miles away, and not showing in either the dealer's inventory, or in Nissan's inventory for that dealer. Turns out the car had been removed from both inventories when it was 'sold', cleaned up and mover to the back lot for safekeeping several months earlier, but the 'buyer' was not able to come up with the money, so the car never left the dealer's back lot, and was never added back to either inventory.

I would get the last six digits of the VIN of those two supposed 'SVs' from the dealer. If they match the VINs in Nissan's inventory for that dealer, then the cars are exactly what Nissan's inventory says they are.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 AM

good info thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Yes, I did. I built my car on the Nissan website and took it to the dealer and had them order it. They stated it may be a three month wait and I could get it quicker if they could find it at another dealer. They did and got it here. They ordered the additional accessories I wanted and installed them free. There was no charge for getting the car from the other dealer. I paid exactly what I had agreed to with the special order. They did have it driven here (200-300 miles). They said they had problems in the past with transporting cars and that having it driven here was the safest way to get it here. There were no issues with any of this process, and I got my car a few days after they found it. They did have to send one of their cars to the other dealer as a trade.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:11 PM

The 2017s are showing up in inventory- lot better selection than the leftovers- should I look at the 2017 as an option?

Last edited by mls277; 07-14-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:47 PM

The 2017s are showing up in inventory- lot better selection than the leftovers- should I look at the 2017 as an option?
Sure, but your gonna pay more, no 0% interest either.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 AM

Right now there exist the best incentives for all 2016 Maxima's.
example if you were interested in leasing $2750 cash towards lease.
53% residule and Money factor of .00003 = .072%

2017 Maxima's no incentives exist.

Randy