8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

CVT/Transmission Problem

Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Dab

CVT/Transmission Problem

so i purchased my vehicle back in dec and everthing has been perfect. today i took my max in for its oil change and tire rotation and i explained to the service guy that the exceleration seems sluggish when i take off slow and inbetween 0-30 mph. I explained to him that i read on this forum that one individual posted that he had the same problem and he had the CVT reprogrammed and then it worked fine. Well they took my vehicle to the back and after about 2hrs came back and told me that they were on the phone with nissan manufacturing plant and couldnt figure out the problem. He then came back 1hr later and informed me nissan informed him to replace the transmission. I almost lost it!!! so he told me that nissan wanted to be safe than sorry and is replacing it at no cost of course and it is now on rush order, So Should i be worried, should i be?? What are your thoughts on this. Also if you seem to notice a slight jerk or if when you step on the gas on low speeds from a stand still and notice a small jerk or pause then you have the same issue. The pause is not noticable at first when you really step on the gas but if you ever so slightly and gradually excelerate then u notice it. I Just wanted to let everyone know and to be aware. Also i have the SR Blue.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Someone else on here has also had their transmission replaced with a few thousand miles on it. If they are replacing it now, then they hopefully are replacing it with a newer, hopefully redesigned, unit. As long as they replace it, you should be GTG.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Acceleration seems sluggish when you take off slow between 0-30?

Seems like textbook CVT behavior to me. I hate driving autotragics in general but CVT's are even worse to me because of the exact behavior you describe.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:25 AM

The good thing here is that the service guys took you seriously, and were not only able to duplicate the problem, but got in touch with Nissan right away instead of saying "typical of these cars". I'd say, you're at a good dealership.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Dab

Didnt think of that way, i am glad that they actually took me seriously and looked into something i thought was minor and turned out to be major.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM

So..this just happened?? The dealership give you a loaner free of charge? I'm like James92SE...I friggin' HATE CVT!....was never thrilled with AT either..but i could live with it. That's why all my cars since '95 have been MT.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:31 PM

People that hate CVT are always the people that don't own one. Sure it takes getting used to, but overall if it's running good, the CVT is a smooth ride, and quite responsive.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Dab

Benjitiger, yes this just happened monday, and im waiting on the transmission to come in to the dealership and yes they are giving me another max for rental free of charge.
MadMax i agree withh you people that dont have a CVT are always the ones complaining, its funny how there even on this forum when they dont own an 8th Gen but o well, i try not to take their comments personal like when james starting laughing maybe its because they cant afford a new car.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
People that hate CVT are always the people that don't own one. Sure it takes getting used to, but overall if it's running good, the CVT is a smooth ride, and quite responsive.
Agreed.

I hated the old CVTs, but once you're past 3/8ths throttle this CVT acts like an automatic and gets up and goes. Just don't be afraid to give the car some throttle on take off and it will jump off the line very quickly.

I actually really like the transmission in this car. I'm shocked because I pretty much stuck to manuals for most of my cars. Nissan did a hell of a job Tuning this powertrain.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM

I hate this new xtronic cvt i like it better with just the regular cvt i had many cvts a 350 hp juke and 6 gent max and wend you hit that gas they go, this max is just to slow from take off and i have many mods, am looking for a new suv i like the new 2017 pathfinder but went I found out it going to have the new cvt from the maxima am just going to get a armada with real trany.i really like and love my max but for the 45000 i pay off the door am not happy the sits are showing wear allready on the side it only has 65000 milles so next year bye bye max welcome 2017 armada platinum.

Last edited by A36-SR; 08-24-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:06 PM

I actually think the cvt is responsive. it punches right from the get go. The power in the maxi is decent for a 4 door. Not nearly like my GTO but its not bad.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:55 PM

I understood twenty years ago that, once perfected, the CVT would have many advantages over any shifting tranny. The laws of physics practically demand that. But those CVTs of the 1990s and even up to the release of the 7th gen Maxima were not good performers. That 7th gen Maxima was the first CVT I felt good about. I actually enjoyed driving it. Now, I find the CVT on the 8th gen even better. I love the rush when I decide to haul ***. I love the smoothness when simply cruising. I love the 32/33 MPG on the interstate in a 3600 pound car with 300 HP and no turbos or superchargers or other 'supplemantary power sources.'

Yes, I grew up on manuals back in the 1940s, and my daughter and my grandaughter still swear by manuals. But they admit they simply love to shift, and understand the manual is no longer an efficient tranny, especially in the traffic we see almost everywhere these days.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by A36-SR
I hate this new xtronic cvt i like it better with just the regular cvt i had many cvts a 350 hp juke and 6 gent max and wend you hit that gas they go, this max is just to slow from take off and i have many mods, am looking for a new suv i like the new 2017 pathfinder but went I found out it going to have the new cvt from the maxima am just going to get a armada with real trany.i really like and love my max but for the 45000 i pay off the door am not happy the sits are showing wear allready on the side it only has 65000 milles so next year bye bye max welcome 2017 armada platinum.
You know, you can use punctuation and spell check.

Geez. IQ level < VQ level.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I understood twenty years ago that, once perfected, the CVT would have many advantages over any shifting tranny. The laws of physics practically demand that. But those CVTs of the 1990s and even up to the release of the 7th gen Maxima were not good performers. That 7th gen Maxima was the first CVT I felt good about. I actually enjoyed driving it. Now, I find the CVT on the 8th gen even better. I love the rush when I decide to haul ***. I love the smoothness when simply cruising. I love the 32/33 MPG on the interstate in a 3600 pound car with 300 HP and no turbos or superchargers or other 'supplemantary power sources.'

Yes, I grew up on manuals back in the 1940s, and my daughter and my grandaughter still swear by manuals. But they admit they simply love to shift, and understand the manual is no longer an efficient tranny, especially in the traffic we see almost everywhere these days.
Hmmmm, seems like a lot of gray hair here. Driving in the 1940's. So probably after World War 2 as gas rationing kept a lot of cars parked. If you were 15 years old then, you were probably born around 1930. That makes you around 85+ years old now.

The makes you:
A - probably the oldest member of Maxima.org
B - the pride of the geriatric set for hauling azz in your Maxima.

Excuse me for remaining skeptical about your claims.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 AM

Sorry to join the derail, but William Shatner is 85 years old and he doesn't look a day over 65. My mom's health fell apart in her mid 70's and she's been in an facility since 77 unable to walk. Some people age very well, others don't. I don't doubt lightonthehill is a vibrant 80 year old freak...after all he hangs out here.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Hmmmm, seems like a lot of gray hair here. Driving in the 1940's. So probably after World War 2 as gas rationing kept a lot of cars parked. If you were 15 years old then, you were probably born around 1930. That makes you around 85+ years old now.

The makes you:
A - probably the oldest member of Maxima.org
B - the pride of the geriatric set for hauling azz in your Maxima.

Excuse me for remaining skeptical about your claims.
LOTH IS one of the oldest, and most respected members on the org.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2

Amen brutha!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:22 PM

I guess i am older than the average poster here, as I have been an octogenarian for years. I was fortunate in that I had the opportunity to drive Terraplanes, Cords, an Auburn and a Henry J in my early days. I learned to drive on my uncle's trucking company lot by taking the semis arriving at the lot and moving the trailers to the correct loading dock. I never got to drive the Tucker, which was the first car to have the middle headlight (of three) swivel when the steering wheel was turned. My first car was a black 4door '49 Studebaker. I had neighbors with DeSotas and Packards and Hudsons, etc, but I never got to drive those.

I am also fortunate that my health has been good. I still spend time on my backyard basketball court shooting three pointers. I still spend hours on my tractor mowing, hours pruning, edging, etc. But we now have an offer on our country home, so all the primping on that seven acres will be someone else's chore. My wife and I hope to spend more time on the beach, in the mountains, just enjoying ourselves in our 2016 Platinum, which we call 'Waxy Maxy.'
Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I guess i am older than the average poster here, as I have been an octogenarian for years. I was fortunate in that I had the opportunity to drive Terraplanes, Cords, an Auburn and a Henry J in my early days. I learned to drive on my uncle's trucking company lot by taking the semis arriving at the lot and moving the trailers to the correct loading dock. I never got to drive the Tucker, which was the first car to have the middle headlight (of three) swivel when the steering wheel was turned. My first car was a black 4door '49 Studebaker. I had neighbors with DeSotas and Packards and Hudsons, etc, but I never got to drive those.

I am also fortunate that my health has been good. I still spend time on my backyard basketball court shooting three pointers. I still spend hours on my tractor mowing, hours pruning, edging, etc. But we now have an offer on our country home, so all the primping on that seven acres will be someone else's chore. My wife and I hope to spend more time on the beach, in the mountains, just enjoying ourselves in our 2016 Platinum, which we call 'Waxy Maxy.'
Good for you. Enjoy!!!!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Short story? We had a 1995 Maxima which we purchased brand new. Best I can recall, the transmission died within the first year. I actually think it died within the first couple of months, but can't remember for sure. Nissan replaced without issue. I thought it was a rare thing and never bothered to look into Nissan's CVT transmissions. We purchased a 2011 maxima. The transmission went out I think under 80,000 miles. Totally died! No warning, no bad shifting. Wife stays on maintenance, but the tranny clunk clunk, DEAD!! Now I'm looking into these transmissions. 2nd transmission to go on a Maxima. I learn now, Nissan CVT transmission failures are NOT rare. Look around online and you'll see a lot of Nissan CVT transmission failures, soon after warranty. Stay away from Nissan CVT. We paid $4,000 for another transmission! I have had a LOT of cars, and never had a transmission failure. NEVER, except for Nissan's CVT Transmission, and I had two failures. Both Nissan CVT transmissions. This includes all my wifes cars too!! That's a lot of cars, and the only failures have been Nissan CVT transmissions. Think about that. Stay away. $4,000 to replace.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by twoweeled
Short story? We had a 1995 Maxima which we purchased brand new. Best I can recall, the transmission died within the first year. I actually think it died within the first couple of months, but can't remember for sure. Nissan replaced without issue. I thought it was a rare thing and never bothered to look into Nissan's CVT transmissions. We purchased a 2011 maxima. The transmission went out I think under 80,000 miles. Totally died! No warning, no bad shifting. Wife stays on maintenance, but the tranny clunk clunk, DEAD!! Now I'm looking into these transmissions. 2nd transmission to go on a Maxima. I learn now, Nissan CVT transmission failures are NOT rare. Look around online and you'll see a lot of Nissan CVT transmission failures, soon after warranty. Stay away from Nissan CVT. We paid $4,000 for another transmission! I have had a LOT of cars, and never had a transmission failure. NEVER, except for Nissan's CVT Transmission, and I had two failures. Both Nissan CVT transmissions. This includes all my wifes cars too!! That's a lot of cars, and the only failures have been Nissan CVT transmissions. Think about that. Stay away. $4,000 to replace.
You are a little late to the game, pal. This is a two and a half year old thread.

The current CVTs are just fine and have not experienced the issues of the earlier versions. And your 95 did not have a CVT, so I guess you HAVE had a transmission failure other than a CVT.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by twoweeled
Seems to have more factors in play other than the design of the CVT. I have had multiple Nissans with CVT's and have put over than 100,000 miles on many of them without a hint of an issue with any of them. If someone has had multiple transmission failures it seems less about the transmissions and more about the most poorly designed part of the vehicle, "the nut behind the steering wheel".
Old 04-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by A36-SR
And you want faster response when you mash it? Then why would you be going with a beast with a lower power to weight ratio? You will be seen in a lot of Gen 8 rear view mirrors if you take them on and their owners are willing to play. You should, however, have a good family hauler with all of the creature comforts you desire in that Armada. No messin' around on the twisties however.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dab
so i purchased my vehicle back in dec and everthing has been perfect. today i took my max in for its oil change and tire rotation and i explained to the service guy that the exceleration seems sluggish when i take off slow and inbetween 0-30 mph. I explained to him that i read on this forum that one individual posted that he had the same problem and he had the CVT reprogrammed and then it worked fine. Well they took my vehicle to the back and after about 2hrs came back and told me that they were on the phone with nissan manufacturing plant and couldnt figure out the problem. He then came back 1hr later and informed me nissan informed him to replace the transmission. I almost lost it!!! so he told me that nissan wanted to be safe than sorry and is replacing it at no cost of course and it is now on rush order, So Should i be worried, should i be?? What are your thoughts on this. Also if you seem to notice a slight jerk or if when you step on the gas on low speeds from a stand still and notice a small jerk or pause then you have the same issue. The pause is not noticable at first when you really step on the gas but if you ever so slightly and gradually excelerate then u notice it. I Just wanted to let everyone know and to be aware. Also i have the SR Blue.
I have a 2009 Maxima with 150000 miles on it and at times I feel a shaking vibration of the transmission which last briefly and at 60 mph I can occassionally feel a slight slip, but other than that acceleration is fine. I think that with some CVT transmissions this functionality is normal only if what I have described is moderate. In cruise control it's fine plus my right trans axle needs replacing which is why I have a slight leak so I believe Nissan transmission problems are are due to each generation model
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Sorry to join the derail, but William Shatner is 85 years old and he doesn't look a day over 65. My mom's health fell apart in her mid 70's and she's been in an facility since 77 unable to walk. Some people age very well, others don't. I don't doubt lightonthehill is a vibrant 80 year old freak...after all he hangs out here.
Amen Bro. And he uses punctuation correctly too. Sage advice, almost always. I'm a 73 year old youngster and you should see what's in my stable besides a '17 Max! All driven with gusto.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 PM

Each generation model seems to experiencing different transmission problems, but I think it lies on the transmission manufacturer that Nissan uses for it's models. These transmission manufacturers need to step it up and give us consumers reliable parts that we can rely on.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Everett
Each generation model seems to experiencing different transmission problems, but I think it lies on the transmission manufacturer that Nissan uses for it's models. These transmission manufacturers need to step it up and give us consumers reliable parts that we can rely on.
Well, maybe I'm in the minority (but probably the majority), but I've had two reliable Nissan supplied CVT's now. One in an '07 Altima SL (160,000 mi. and still going strong), and my '17 Max SL (40,000 mi. now and nary a whimper).
Old 03-25-2020, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Well, maybe I'm in the minority (but probably the majority), but I've had two reliable Nissan supplied CVT's now. One in an '07 Altima SL (160,000 mi. and still going strong), and my '17 Max SL (40,000 mi. now and nary a whimper).
I agree with you wholeheartedly and just maybe some consumers have gotten bad transmissions from the manufacturer from the start.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 PM

Nissan don't build their own transmissions they get them from a transmission manufacturer
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 AM

Nissan don't build their own transmissions they get them from a transmission manufacturer
Semi-correct...Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota all make their own CVTs. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49 percent of the world's gear-free transmissions to Chrysler, GM, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. In addition, nearly half of Nissan's current U.S. models offer a JATCO-supplied CVT.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Semi-correct...Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota all make their own CVTs. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49 percent of the world's gear-free transmissions to Chrysler, GM, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. In addition, nearly half of Nissan's current U.S. models offer a JATCO-supplied CVT.
You are absolutely correct
Old 03-26-2020, 09:43 PM

I'm right there with ya...I have an '07 Altima 3.5 SE (174,300...still a solid ride) and my '19 Maxima SR (got it from CarMax with 1,650 mi on it a couple weeks ago)...no problems with the CVT on either ride. All that aside, I truly miss my favorite car of all...'99 Maxima SE-L 5sp (246,000). Best Maxima of all time imo. 1st post on this site in about 9 years lol.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr99Maxima
I'm right there with ya...I have an '07 Altima 3.5 SE (174,300...still a solid ride) and my '19 Maxima SR (got it from CarMax with 1,650 mi on it a couple weeks ago)...no problems with the CVT on either ride. All that aside, I truly miss my favorite car of all...'99 Maxima SE-L 5sp (246,000). Best Maxima of all time imo. 1st post on this site in about 9 years lol.
It's reassuring to read that these cars *can* last to high miles.

Also, according to Consumer Reports' reliability data (for what it is worth), Nissan reliability is far from egregiously bad, much better than (say) GM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by slava
It's reassuring to read that these cars *can* last to high miles.

Also, according to Consumer Reports' reliability data (for what it is worth), Nissan reliability is far from egregiously bad, much better than (say) GM.
I totally agree...as long as we're not talking about a 04-06 Max SE 😁
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission problem

Originally Posted by Dab
so I just bought a 2014 maxima sv with 64,000 miles! I fell in love with this car! I loved it, fast, pretty, and roomy with good gas mileage. 3 weeks later, (roughly 300 miles) the car does not want to accelerate from a dead stop. Then does not want to shift. All of a sudden It just went bad. 4,500 to replace on a car that still has dealer tags on the vehicle and the warranty just expired! Never again will I buy a Nissan. They are junk. I hope buying this new cvt will last me long enough to drive for 3-4 years and then sell it and buy a vehicle I can rely on. Nissan cvt is garbage! They take advantage of their customers! Though I got a good deal, turns out I am paying more than the car is worth to me..
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Manuel Lucero Jr.
so I just bought a 2014 maxima sv with 64,000 miles! I fell in love with this car! I loved it, fast, pretty, and roomy with good gas mileage. 3 weeks later, (roughly 300 miles) the car does not want to accelerate from a dead stop. Then does not want to shift. All of a sudden It just went bad. 4,500 to replace on a car that still has dealer tags on the vehicle and the warranty just expired! Never again will I buy a Nissan. They are junk. I hope buying this new cvt will last me long enough to drive for 3-4 years and then sell it and buy a vehicle I can rely on. Nissan cvt is garbage! They take advantage of their customers! Though I got a good deal, turns out I am paying more than the car is worth to me..
You posted in the 8th Generation...2016> Maxima, you should repost in the 7th Generation forum.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Manuel Lucero Jr.
Sorry for your pain, really. I had that very same thing happen to a used M3 a few years ago. Trans cost about 1/3 the price of what I paid for the car. Things settled down and I loved the car until turbo started going south. Other than the trans problem, what attributes do you like about the Max?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:57 AM

I have a 2009 Maxima with 150000 miles on it and at times I feel a shaking vibration of the transmission which last briefly and at 60 mph I can occassionally feel a slight slip, but other than that acceleration is fine. I think that with some CVT transmissions this functionality is normal only if what I have described is moderate. In cruise control it's fine plus my right trans axle needs replacing which is why I have a slight leak so I believe Nissan transmission problems are are due to each generation model
. I have a 09 maxima and had what is called a ECM reprogram and a idle relearn. Since then car runs fine the acceleration is quick and when the transmission shifts you only feel a slight jerk upon deceleration which is normal. As CVT owners this particular transmission functions differently than a standard transmission.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2

thisisthewaykidstalkthesedays
Old 08-09-2020, 11:56 PM

thisisthewaykidstalkthesedays
I didn't know that my grammer had to be precise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVT/Transmission Problem