8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What would you change about your 8th Gen Maxima, if you could?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM

What would you change about your 8th Gen Maxima, if you could?

Now that you've driven your new 8th generation Maxima for a few weeks/months/years, I'm curious about what you would change about the stock features of your car if you could. Either interior, exterior, handling, or under the hood dislikes.

For me, my #1 pet-peeve is the chrome door handles. Unless you have silver, I just think it really stands out and takes away from the overall euro/import styling that you would see on a higher priced car.

The typical non Maxima (or current) driver complaint is obviously going to be the CVT or no AWD or RWD options, but I'm hoping to hear what other owners think about their current rides the way Nissan offers it. Who knows, maybe a Nissan marketing rep. or engineer may get a hold of this and implement some of our ideas in the 9th Gen.!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Going with the obvious here. 8 sp, awd, 400 hp would be perfect. Can't get the power it has now down with fwd. Past that, thinner a pillars, 3 more inches in the back seat, and standard high output headlights.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:31 AM

1. I wish Nissan would actually update its Infotainment System. I'm not even asking for free map updates - just fix bugs, and add minor features (like Carplay Turn by Turn in the VID). I shouldnt feel like I'm missing out on a month old car when they release a new model with software updates (like when the 17 introduced car play and they wouldnt upgrade 16s to it)
2. I may be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of the D-Shaped wheel. It's not as comfortable for long drives as a circular wheel
3. ICC works well for me (unlike what others have said about it being jerky), but it's really annoying how when the person in front of you comes to a complete stop, it disengages and rolls forward. Seems like a huge safety issue if you aren't expecting it. I would love for it to stay stopped, and resume following them when the start moving again.
4. Related to 3 - Would love it to incorporate lane following for a semi-autonomous car. That would be awesome!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How about a height adjustable passenger seat?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After 10 months of ownership, the only thing I can see causing me some concern long term is that I wish Nissan used a higher quality, thicker paint. I've noticed a few small paint chips on the hood from small rock strikes. My previous vehicles (VW Passat, Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry) have all had much more robust paint that held up to minor road debris strikes better.

On my wish list would be AWD. Like others have said, the FWD can't handle the power. When I go to pass a car and hit the gas at 60, it still spins the tires and I have to fight the initial torque steer. I understand why they don't offer it though as it would start to cannibalize sales of the Q50 & Q60. I would have purchased a Q60, but the Maxima has a much nicer interior, IMHO. For whatever reason, I just don't like the center stack of the Infiniti's.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 PM

My pet peeves are:

1. The blind spots, trying to look over and around the rear view mirrors.
2. Tires wide enough to protect the rims from slight curb touches. Or recess the outside of the rims 1/4" less than the outside of the tires.
3. Ditch the sunglasses holder design in favor of a more usable space, such as sunglasses enclosed in their protective case. Can't do that now unless the glasses are out of the case. Not good for expensive glasses.
4. Ditch the manual shifter and use the cost for something else, say a rear diffuser (at a minimum) at no extra cost to buyer.
5. Dang brighter led "mood lighting". You can barely see the LED strip. My wife's 2014 Malibu LTZ mood light strip is much brighter and has a wider range of adjustable brightness.
6. The rest of the car is __mn near perfect!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:43 AM

Not much I would change. But Maybe:

Make outside mirrors power folding.
Make front passenger seat height adjustable.
Updated maps with navi system. Mine don't show roads built 8 years ago.
Tire/wheel combo that doesn't scrape every time I get within a foot of the curb.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:23 AM

AWD or RWD. Love the car hate the fact it's FWD. it can't handle the power.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:35 AM

1. While the 3.5 is solid, the 3.7 would be nice with around 360 HP, along with AWD More HP is always better, but as others have said, the Max has a hard time putting the 300 HP to the ground with FWD only.

2. Passenger seat height adjustment, really Nissan, come on.

3. Better LED accent lighting, better adjustment for brightness and color.

4. The SR is supposed to be the Sport version of the Max, differentiate a bit more from the other models. More aggressive wheel option, slightly different spoiler, front nose etc. It should look a bit more aggressive.

I am quite happy with the Max overall, those things would have been nice to have seen on the 8th Gen.

HoustonQX3
Old 06-06-2017, 07:53 AM

1. Auto up/down rear windows.

2. Non intrusive trunk hinges.

3. Power folding mirrors.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Tire/wheel combo that doesn't scrape every time I get within a foot of the curb.
lightonthehill,
Add the weird shaped steering wheel, no music box option, and these are the exact reasons why we decided not to get a new Maxima and went with the QX50.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM
I drank what?

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Have you zoomed in on the Map I was driving "in-space" until i zoomed into 1/8th mile.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 PM

Would love to see HUD display and Android auto standard on all Maxima trim levels.

Ian B
Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM

I second the "The blind spots, trying to look over and around the rear view mirrors". Originally bought the Max for my wife who is only 5'. She really had a hard seeing around the outside mirrors. I'm driving it now...darn the bad luck
Old 06-06-2017, 05:35 PM

3rd on the blind spot with the mirrors. I am only 5-4 and they are blocking the view especially with left turns. Also wish they were power folding. Also I don't like the extending panel on the drivers seat. With it sticking out further the corner of it digs into the back of my left leg,even when pushed in all the way. Starting to get used to it now that I have had the car almost 2 months.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 PM

1. Lane departure warning with steering correction as a bonus.

2. LED fog lights That really gets me with this car not having those. They put on these amazing and incredible looking led headlamps only to have halogen fogs. HERP DERP Nissan!

3. Height adjustment on passengers side

4. Front pillar blind spots are really BAD

5. Headlamps automatically coming on at night when heading to the car per set timer. How in the hell did Nissan drop the ball on this? I REALLY miss that feature. Ground lighting came pre-installed from the factory but its still not enough. I want to see in front of me coming out the back door of my house. Yet they managed to do just what I am saying when you EXIT the car only. Makes no sense to me.

6. Oil life indicator cant believe it does not have that!

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-06-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

- Another vote for the passenger side seat height adjustment. I understand keeping cost down, but that one is just silly.

- A better premium sound system. My wife's nine year-old Camry has a much better sounding stock JBL system with three less speakers.

- A cover for the center console cup holders. Gives console a sleeker look and keeps junk from getting into cup holders when not in use.

- Another vote for reducing pillars.

Like others, still very happy with the car so far.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by nwaltsr
After 10 months of ownership, the only thing I can see causing me some concern long term is that I wish Nissan used a higher quality, thicker paint. I've noticed a few small paint chips on the hood from small rock strikes. My previous vehicles (VW Passat, Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry) have all had much more robust paint that held up to minor road debris strikes better.

On my wish list would be AWD. Like others have said, the FWD can't handle the power. When I go to pass a car and hit the gas at 60, it still spins the tires and I have to fight the initial torque steer. I understand why they don't offer it though as it would start to cannibalize sales of the Q50 & Q60. I would have purchased a Q60, but the Maxima has a much nicer interior, IMHO. For whatever reason, I just don't like the center stack of the Infiniti's.
Gawd, you can spin your wheels at 60mph. I can't do that in my 426 hp Vette, unless I am on rain-slicked roads!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ian B
Would love to see HUD display and Android auto standard on all Maxima trim levels.

Ian B
Hey, good ones. I'll buy into these too.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:18 AM

A "real" premium sound system. And a tighter steering system in normal mode.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:20 PM

Power folding mirrors
Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 AM

I know I'll get mocked for this, but do you think there's a need for an "eco" mode for when shuffling along in stop/go city traffic?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM

I will second the lane departure with steering correction and just say it would be good to have full autopilot, like a Tesla. Also, like a tesla, they should provide infotainment/computer updates via wifi for free!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:29 AM

I would like to be able to zoom in and out of the maps and nav using the wheel on the console. Havingo reach and touch the screen to zoom is ridiculous in my opinion. If there is a way to do this, I haven't found it.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
I would like to be able to zoom in and out of the maps and nav using the wheel on the console. Havingo reach and touch the screen to zoom is ridiculous in my opinion. If there is a way to do this, I haven't found it.
Yeah I agree, I feel like they botched the design with the controller - it's almost worthless. BMWs have a similar controller, but it's the only way to interact with the screen and it works really well as its integrated and not just an afterthought. They even have a touch area on top with handwriting recognition so you can draw letters when typing. I wish the Maxima has a better system like that.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
You can use the rotary **** on the center console when you turn it it will zoom in or out.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by grhmw
You can use the rotary **** on the center console when you turn it it will zoom in or out.
Doesn't work with CarPlay, and its super kludgy to navigate the menus with it.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:02 PM

Turning the console **** zooms mine in and out just fine. I have the SL.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:33 AM

The dent my sister just put in my car backing up and not looking I was to the side behind her. UGH

Ian B
Attached Thumbnails What would you change about your 8th Gen Maxima, if you could?-dent.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 AM

One annoyance of mine would be the fact that all the models don't come with at least HID headlights. My GF's 2014 Toyota Corolla came with them!

Also 350hp would be great with RWD or AWD.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM

it would be nice if all chrome are changed to black chrome for all midnight editions.
tail and headlight inside housing black chrome too.

no?

--edit

i tried... looks good from far away haha

Last edited by BlakMaxiJoey; 06-16-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Yes! Black chrome would look very cool on the Midnight version, including front bumper and rear trunk trim.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:35 PM

3rd on the blind spot with the mirrors. I am only 5-4 and they are blocking the view especially with left turns. Also wish they were power folding. Also I don't like the extending panel on the drivers seat. With it sticking out further the corner of it digs into the back of my left leg,even when pushed in all the way. Starting to get used to it now that I have had the car almost 2 months.
Dang I thought it was just me! I have complained about this since I first got the car. I have lots of trouble seeing to make a left turn, and also making sure no one is in a crosswalk coming from the left hand side. I'm 5'5". Raising the seat helped a little, but now I feel like I'm sitting up really high
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Turning the console **** zooms mine in and out just fine. I have the SL.
Mine does nothing in maps, nav or even weather. If there is a setting somewhere I haven't found it.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Certainly the passenger seat adjuster for height and tilt along with a lumbar support just like the drivers seat.
Interestingly Nissan did de-content some features that existed on my 2010 Premium such as auto up and down rear windows, hidden trunk hinges that did not intrude in the trunk area. My 2010 even had radio and heater controls in the rear seat arm rest.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ian B
The dent my sister just put in my car backing up and not looking I was to the side behind her. UGH

Ian B
Estimate came in at $1700 for new fender, new front bumper and fort rt rim to be resurfaced.

Ouch,

Ian B
Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 AM

Another vote for height-adjustable passenger seat. We test-drove a 2016 model and it had this feature; why would Nissan delete it in the newer model?

Other wishes:

Android Auto, or Nissan Connect Apps (with more apps than currently advertised). I was surprised that Apps is missing from my car, because it is a Platinum.

Lane departure warning.

A way to turn off the daytime running lights with a switch on the dash.

I've had the car for three weeks, and I love it.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 AM

Waze on Apple CarPlay. Just saying...again.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM

I just realized you can zoom on the road map but you can't on the weather maps. Don't understand that.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 AM

How adding a remote trunk release where you can slide or waive you foot under the bumper to.open the trunk. Very handy with a arm full of groceries.