8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

new purchase soon,advice please

Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 PM

new purchase soon,advice please

hey guys,i'm new to the forum and have been reading as far back as i can go, i am planning on getting a Maxima platinum trim used within the next week. i prefer the 2017 but wont mind 2016 CPO, any advice for when i go into Nissan? what sounds like reasonable prices to you, what to add on from the dealer and what to reject, i will ask them if they offer military discount and will be basing my numbers from KBB an cargurus prices but any other tips will be greatly appreciated! thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 06:29 AM

I'd be prepared to walk out if they don't give you the deal you're asking for. It's almost certain they'll try to stop you and come back with a better offer. Also, do your research ahead of time. Know what other options are out there in your area, and don't be afraid to mention them (looking at a white one at so and so dealership also).

In my case, the negotiation took 2 weeks. They bettered there offer (sales manager came running over) when I got up to leave. Then texted me 2 days later with a better offer. I continued to look elsewhere, ended up doing the deal over text. Started the conversation again near the end of the month, if you catch them the last day or two of the month they have more pressure to meet sales targets (unless they've had a good month I guess).

Just hold your ground. They need to sell it to you. You can buy anywhere, don't give up your power.

And good luck! Had my 2017 SL for just over 2 months, couldn't be happier! I love the AppleCarPlay. If you've got an iphone, I'd recommend trying for a 2017.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Sounds like you already know what model you want which is good. Research pricing and know what is reasonable to pay. Don't waste time with old school walking out tactics. If you want them to be fair with you be fair with them. Remember they are in business to make money. Most dealers now don't price used cars with huge markups. They price them to sell and operate from a volume perspective. This may not hold true if you are in a small town.Once you settle on the right car and deal I would ask them to go over the CPO wrap coverage with you. CPO coverage as it stands is only on the powertrain (engine/transmission) the enhanced coverage will cover all the electronics you have in the Platinum. Best wishes.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by AleBrew
I'd be prepared to walk out if they don't give you the deal you're asking for. It's almost certain they'll try to stop you and come back with a better offer. Also, do your research ahead of time. Know what other options are out there in your area, and don't be afraid to mention them (looking at a white one at so and so dealership also).

In my case, the negotiation took 2 weeks. They bettered there offer (sales manager came running over) when I got up to leave. Then texted me 2 days later with a better offer. I continued to look elsewhere, ended up doing the deal over text. Started the conversation again near the end of the month, if you catch them the last day or two of the month they have more pressure to meet sales targets (unless they've had a good month I guess).

Just hold your ground. They need to sell it to you. You can buy anywhere, don't give up your power.

And good luck! Had my 2017 SL for just over 2 months, couldn't be happier! I love the AppleCarPlay. If you've got an iphone, I'd recommend trying for a 2017.
thanks alot! I may have to purchase on the 1st or second so hopefully they haven't had a good month! I will apply the multiple dealerships tactic I hear that alot,and no I don't have an iPhone but I'll get the 17 if there's not much of a difference in payments from the 16
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by rteenie22
Sounds like you already know what model you want which is good. Research pricing and know what is reasonable to pay. Don't waste time with old school walking out tactics. If you want them to be fair with you be fair with them. Remember they are in business to make money. Most dealers now don't price used cars with huge markups. They price them to sell and operate from a volume perspective. This may not hold true if you are in a small town.Once you settle on the right car and deal I would ask them to go over the CPO wrap coverage with you. CPO coverage as it stands is only on the powertrain (engine/transmission) the enhanced coverage will cover all the electronics you have in the Platinum. Best wishes.
Are their certain levels to the enhanced coverage? Is that part of those extra warranties they try to sneak on? Also there are dealerships in my area that are charging 2k more then the KBB prices forv2017 and other used car pricing services. Do I avoid those or go in negotiating with the prices I have found. These cars by the way are just regular cpo,and no extra add ons,when I questioned them about this previously the next day they took off 500 on the website but it's still overpriced
Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 PM

I bought a lightly-used Platinum last December. My total OTD was 35k, but it had very low miles and every possible option included (ground lights, different wheels, spoiler, etc). I could have shopped around and maybe get a 1-2k off but I'm very satisfied with my purchase

My biggest piece of advise is the spend a few hours reading through the threads to educate yourself on the common issues are with this car. No car is perfect, And most things are pretty minor, but what you can get an idea about some red flags to check for when you test drive.

Best of luck on your purchase, we are really loving ours and hope you will too
Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I bought a lightly-used Platinum last December. My total OTD was 35k, but it had very low miles and every possible option included (ground lights, different wheels, spoiler, etc). I could have shopped around and maybe get a 1-2k off but I'm very satisfied with my purchase

My biggest piece of advise is the spend a few hours reading through the threads to educate yourself on the common issues are with this car. No car is perfect, And most things are pretty minor, but what you can get an idea about some red flags to check for when you test drive.

Best of luck on your purchase, we are really loving ours and hope you will too
i have, i spend a few hours on this forum, i'm excited for this maxima, but i have messed up my share of times while on active duty to the hands of dealerships, i want whats best for me negotiating wise and to walk out with the best price. thank you
Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpiofr33
hey guys,i'm new to the forum and have been reading as far back as i can go, i am planning on getting a Maxima platinum trim used within the next week. i prefer the 2017 but wont mind 2016 CPO, any advice for when i go into Nissan? what sounds like reasonable prices to you, what to add on from the dealer and what to reject, i will ask them if they offer military discount and will be basing my numbers from KBB an cargurus prices but any other tips will be greatly appreciated! thanks
Got my Blue Platinum 3 weeks ago, It was a new 2017.5 in Autonation. The car was in the lot for many months . They lowered the price to 30K but after negotiating for 2 days. I could not get the 1.9% interest for 72 months but found 3.5% with Nissan Finance. The car only had 30 miles and needed some clay bar and wax after being in the sun and the elements for so long. There were only (3) 2017.5 left. Very happy with the car. Try to get financing approved with a low %, before you go to the dealer with a credit union, so u get them to match it.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ALRONDON
Got my Blue Platinum 3 weeks ago, It was a new 2017.5 in Autonation. The car was in the lot for many months . They lowered the price to 30K but after negotiating for 2 days. I could not get the 1.9% interest for 72 months but found 3.5% with Nissan Finance. The car only had 30 miles and needed some clay bar and wax after being in the sun and the elements for so long. There were only (3) 2017.5 left. Very happy with the car. Try to get financing approved with a low %, before you go to the dealer with a credit union, so u get them to match it.
i have looked into outside credit union, but i'm afraid i wont be as fortunate as you. my car was totaled from a rear collision but my credit isnt all that hot so i'm deff putting some money down but i dont think i will get the good finances like many people on here. glad to hear everyone that responded is enjoying the car!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Sorry, this is gonna come off as a bit of a brag... but I had the easiest loan process ever with this purchase. I paid mostly cash, so I only had to finance about 15k. I applied to Lightstream online bank. Got a unsecured loan, meaning the cash went right into the bank. No dealing with Liens, just swiped my debit card and drove off the lot.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I Did Not have to fill out a credit app at the dealership.. which some have supposedly had to do when paying "cash". I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that crap
Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Sorry, this is gonna come off as a bit of a brag... but I had the easiest loan process ever with this purchase. I paid mostly cash, so I only had to finance about 15k. I applied to Lightstream online bank. Got a unsecured loan, meaning the cash went right into the bank. No dealing with Liens, just swiped my debit card and drove off the lot.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I Did Not have to fill out a credit app at the dealership.. which some have supposedly had to do when paying "cash". I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that crap
not sure how to compare that to my situations but thanks for the response