8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Will customization void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will customization void my warranty?

Hey guys. I have a 2017 Maxima with very low kms which still has a lot of warranty left on it. Im thinking of installing new LED fog lights, turn indicators etc, new bigger wheels, a new Tesla style LED infotainment screen, maybe some performance upgrades like a chip and a cold air intake kit to boost HP. Would any or all of those upgrades void my warranty? I know the wheels probably wont, but the other ones?

P.S. What other ways can I boost power without doing anything to the engine?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:31 AM

The short answer is yes, it could. Of course everything is subjective. For instance a cool air intake won't effect suspension coverage. However a chip, CAI or worse turbo can be used to justify not covering certain powertrain problems to include CVT failure. Hell, the Trackhalk (706HP) Grand Cherokee for instance, if its known you frequent the track, there are stipulations that could void your warrantee just for misuse. The most important thing to remember, the service advisor at your dealership is a good place to ask these questions, also being in good graces with them will help you in the long run. You're a D!ck every time you bring in the car, they will report findings during a warrantee claim that could null your coverage. However, you've had good conversation over the months, also brought in conventional warrantee work over time, they see this as a good working relationship, and want to help you get through it. Note too, dealerships get paid less per hour by warrantee claims then if you pay out of pocket. Meaning, they get stuck with a 15 hour repair bill for a major failure, they get paid about as much as a private party 8 hour job. So they will do warrantee work, but have no problems charging you more instead for the same work. So get in tight, you will likely not ever have problems. Just don't add a Turbo.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 AM

Also, for instance if you have an upgraded sway bar, but have problems with suspension you want to get checked out, noisy strut, bounce, what have you, remove the added sway bar before going to the dealership. If you've already put on lowering springs and have control arm issues or bad strut, you're going to pay out of pocket for those repairs almost every time.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for reply. Just in general, how much do you think I can boost up my horse power if im willing to spend say 5-10 grand? Enough to make it a good rival for a mid-trim Charger?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Mid trim Charger you're going to be at 370 hp up to 485, that's not even the Hellcat 707 hp....no, you will never get that kind of power without replacing the motor and transmission. That's my take anyway. General consensus is that the CVT can't handle that kind of torque, so even if you boosted/blow hard into the existing motor, you're going to have problems early on with the drivetrain. Be happy you can beat most cars out there, don't try to catch up to a hotrod class of cars.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Mid trim Charger you're going to be at 370 hp up to 485, that's not even the Hellcat 707 hp....no, you will never get that kind of power without replacing the motor and transmission. That's my take anyway. General consensus is that the CVT can't handle that kind of torque, so even if you boosted/blow hard into the existing motor, you're going to have problems early on with the drivetrain. Be happy you can beat most cars out there, don't try to catch up to a hotrod class of cars.
Well stated. Realistically you bought the wrong car to compete with the Charger. I believe the Maxima is the right car to have but, not for a racer type person. Better to use the 10 grand and trade for the Dodge.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was just wondering hypothetically. But you are right, Maxima isnt exactly a real sports car.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 AM

Coming from a 2017 Ford Mustang GT manual that was tuned and modded...close to 500 engine hp...I would say, if you want power, get a different car.

I love my 17 Maxima SR, but I know it will never be a "race car" so no need to strive for that..by the way what "chip" are you talking about for the maxima, does some tune them?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by albkart
I was just wondering hypothetically. But you are right, Maxima isnt exactly a real sports car.
What's great about the Maxima is that it just looks "fast" sitting or rolling, and has enough bark to most worldly passing scenarios
Old 03-23-2018, 06:49 AM

Don't get Nissan's marketing of a "4dsc" fool you... it's a sporty styled sedan with comfort and descent power.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crisisx1
Coming from a 2017 Ford Mustang GT manual that was tuned and modded...close to 500 engine hp...I would say, if you want power, get a different car.

I love my 17 Maxima SR, but I know it will never be a "race car" so no need to strive for that..by the way what "chip" are you talking about for the maxima, does some tune them?
currently there is no tune or "chip" for 8th gen maxima
Old 03-23-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSR
currently there is no tune or "chip" for 8th gen maxima
I figured. OP had it in his post.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:28 AM

The Nissan line-up is limited as to the power you can add due to their CVTs. Cream Puffs.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey guys. I have a 2017 Maxima with very low kms which still has a lot of warranty left on it. Im thinking of installing new LED fog lights, turn indicators etc, new bigger wheels, a new Tesla style LED infotainment screen, maybe some performance upgrades like a chip and a cold air intake kit to boost HP. Would any or all of those upgrades void my warranty? I know the wheels probably wont, but the other ones?

P.S. What other ways can I boost power without doing anything to the engine?
Hi there,
As for performance mods and warranty, there is a legal document, Magnuson-Moss warranty act. Here is the link to the full text of it. But in short, this document says, that you can install aftermarket parts and performance mods and this will not void your warranty, unless the mod you have installed has directly caused a damage. But even if this happens, and, let's say, due to faulty lowering kit you've got certain suspension problem, the warranty for everything except suspension will still work. Also, the carmaker has to prove, that the reason of the damage is the aftermarket part. That's how it works in the modern aftermarket world.

Now, if you do not want to add anything aftermarket and still want to get power upgrade, the only thing that comes to my mind is changing an air filter with the new one, every 1-2 months. That's because whenever the filter is not clogged with dust and dirt, the airflow is better, so you will notice better performance. Alternatively, you can install one of those washable K&N panel filters, these provide even better air flow and have got documented proof of the performance gains they provide.