8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Re-Lease option at end of lease

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 03:48 PM

Re-Lease option at end of lease

My 3 year/36K lease is up January 2019 on my ‘16 Platinum.

Will NMAC allow me to re-lease the vehicle. If so can the new lease be renegotiated?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:32 PM

Just talk to the dealership. They will probably offer you 2018 model for the same price. Take the quote and go to other dealership. Ask them what they they can offer.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 AM

NMAC knows for sure, every other answer is speculation. Call and ask NMAC, I'm sure there is a number in your paperwork.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
NMAC knows for sure, every other answer is speculation. Call and ask NMAC, I'm sure there is a number in your paperwork.
My lease ends 30 Oct, 2018. I'd like to go month to month till the 19s are on the lot but may end up turning the car in if Nissan doesn't want to play ball on the extension. There will be enough change to warrant waiting for the 19s. We did an extension with Acura years ago till I found the car I wanted.

I will report back here what I learn from Nissan Financial on this.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:29 AM

Why would you re-lease a car that no longer has a Manufacture's warrantee? And if you wanted to keep the car 6 years, why didn't you just buy it in the first place? Could have gotten better incentive, and had a tradin value of say 30-40% of original value of the car instead of zero equity from the lease.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Originally Posted by NisCal17
Just talk to the dealership. They will probably offer you 2018 model for the same price. Take the quote and go to other dealership. Ask them what they they can offer.
Originally Posted by robtroxel
My lease ends 30 Oct, 2018. I'd like to go month to month till the 19s are on the lot but may end up turning the car in if Nissan doesn't want to play ball on the extension. There will be enough change to warrant waiting for the 19s. We did an extension with Acura years ago till I found the car I wanted.

I will report back here what I learn from Nissan Financial on this.
Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Why would you re-lease a car that no longer has a Manufacture's warrantee? And if you wanted to keep the car 6 years, why didn't you just buy it in the first place? Could have gotten better incentive, and had a tradin value of say 30-40% of original value of the car instead of zero equity from the lease.
Your’re right MadMax. I agree with you. That’s why I’m on these boards to help me with this kind of stuff. I just have my Platinum dialed in with every accessory nissan offered such as ground effect lighting, Illuminated door sills, 19” black wheels, wing, rear diffuser, 5” windshield tint. I know the car. It’s broken in. I can replace the OEM tires with what I want next year.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM

Hi Rick

I have in the past extended my lease month by month.
Just call NMAC -
My lease is done Sept 1 -
I have been reading that Nissan is changing stratigies and have cut many lease incentives.
Nissan reported very poor sales,down some 25 % for April. yet there is almost no incentives. Ill be monitoring month by month.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
Hi Rick

I have in the past extended my lease month by month.
Just call NMAC -
My lease is done Sept 1 -
I have been reading that Nissan is changing stratigies and have cut many lease incentives.
Nissan reported very poor sales,down some 25 % for April. yet there is almost no incentives. Ill be monitoring month by month.
Thanks Randy,

Keep me posted on what you do. I too would go month to month in anticipation of the 19s. That said, if the deals are not there, I would probably move on to another brand. Too many choices on the slow moving sedan segment not to get a good price on something like say the Genesis G70

Mt current lease allows for 45 k miles so I will be out of warranty soon. I also will have to replace the tires so I may do that now to get some use out of the new skins.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 AM

Wow I just called and said the only way I can extend my lease is medical exemption or if I place an order for new car. Ridiculous. I'm getting a new car (just not nissan) but it's not ready for another several months.

What other strategy could I use? Say I'm waiting for the release of the '19s? When are they due?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by netjack
Wow I just called and said the only way I can extend my lease is medical exemption or if I place an order for new car. Ridiculous. I'm getting a new car (just not nissan) but it's not ready for another several months.

What other strategy could I use? Say I'm waiting for the release of the '19s? When are they due?
Did they say if "new lease for a new car at the same price you have today?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Nothing. Wonder if it's because they know it only has 13k miles

I'm going to call and tell them I want a 19 and it's not out yet! How long will that afford me?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Netjack - So you called NMAC and they refused to extend month by month ?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by netjack
Nothing. Wonder if it's because they know it only has 13k miles

I'm going to call and tell them I want a 19 and it's not out yet! How long will that afford me?
almost 3 years and only 13k miles?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Netjack - So you called NMAC and they refused to extend month by month ?
That is correct.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by brosenz
almost 3 years and only 13k miles?
Technically 12,996. You can tell how short my trips are and often I drive.

Switching to tesla 3 when the AWD is released.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM

So i just called NMAC and they can extend lease for up to 3 month's. You need to call prior to the last payment or prior to your turn in date.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Unreal - clearly different convo. I'll call again.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM

So i just called NMAC and they can extend lease for up to 3 month's. You need to call prior to the last payment or prior to your turn in date.
What reason did you give?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Strange. Just called and right off the bat they gave me a 3 month extension - no questions asked.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 AM

I gave them no reason - just wanted to confirm that I coulds extend lease for a short period of time.

OK - See you got the extension.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Dude, if you're serious about the G70, it's 2019 release is imminent...anytime in the next couple months, summer of 2018. By January you should see a bunch of them on the lots. If you can get by with a 16 gallon gas tank, and a small back seat, that 3.3 is a serious contender. Already been tested against the 3.3 stinger and beat it 3 times by a couple car length to the 1/4 mile I think it was, it's just slightsly shorter and much lighter then the stinger too. Just youtube Stinger vs G70.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Dude, if you're serious about the G70, it's 2019 release is imminent...anytime in the next couple months, summer of 2018. By January you should see a bunch of them on the lots. If you can get by with a 16 gallon gas tank, and a small back seat, that 3.3 is a serious contender. Already been tested against the 3.3 stinger and beat it 3 times by a couple car length to the 1/4 mile I think it was, it's just slightsly shorter and much lighter then the stinger too. Just youtube Stinger vs G70.
Mad Max, Good you mentioned the smaller size of the G70. I just have to sit in one and drive it to be sure. The extra 65 hp would be nice but the economy of the 300 hp Maxima is impressive. The Maxima has really set a high benchmark considering it came out in 2015!

Thanks to Randy for making the phone call on a lease extension. Nissan would be wise to get the 2019 out ASAP this late summer or early fall.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 PM

Only thing I had flagged were scratched wheels (rims for those ****).
$55/each - and they were REALLY scratched.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Only thing I had flagged were scratched wheels (rims for those ****).
$55/each - and they were REALLY scratched.
I'm sure most Maximas come back with wheel rash. 55 bucks is far cheaper that replacement. The " wheel/ meets tire design" caused me to replace 2 wheels in 3 years of ownership.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:29 AM

I'm sure most Maximas come back with wheel rash. 55 bucks is far cheaper that replacement. The " wheel/ meets tire design" caused me to replace 2 wheels in 3 years of ownership.
As an aside, I know folks who didn't re-lease, and got hit with fines/tabs of $500 per wheel (from Nissan).

On my BMW 5-series, I paid a third party (mobile service) $125 for one rim (wheel), and $145 for another to repair them.
Looked great, after they fixed the "melted metal" effect.
(and I followed their directions - didn't drive car for 3-4 days since I was out of town)

Last edited by lindros2; 02-24-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

As an aside, I know folks who didn't re-lease, and got hit with fines/tabs of $500 per wheel (from Nissan).

On my BMW 5-series, I paid a third party (mobile service) $125 for one rim (wheel), and $145 for another to repair them.
Looked great, after they fixed the "melted metal" effect.
(and I followed their directions - didn't drive car for 3-4 days since I was out of town)
I'm probably going to re-lease with Nissan or buy the car but $500 per wheel is crazy. I did scratch one rim (hit the curb pretty good) so it would cost me $500 + 395 disposition fee if I left Nissan. I've done leases before but have never had to do the inspection. I always just brought the car to the dealer and they took care of it. Never been charged for any damage either.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Maxman200
I'm probably going to re-lease with Nissan or buy the car but $500 per wheel is crazy. I did scratch one rim (hit the curb pretty good) so it would cost me $500 + 395 disposition fee if I left Nissan. I've done leases before but have never had to do the inspection. I always just brought the car to the dealer and they took care of it. Never been charged for any damage either.
That was then as it looks like the weak residuals don't cover alot of what they used to look the other way on, as far as minor damage goes.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maxman200
Yeah - the one who really went **** was Acura - they spent over two hours (!!!) measuring at paint depth, looking at engine cover, interior, mirror under car, wheels, etc.
Funniest thing - we had rear quarter panel repaired, and the dude missed a drip of paint (poor finish).

That was then as it looks like the weak residuals don't cover alot of what they used to look the other way on, as far as minor damage goes.
Good point.
But in reality, it's a big grey company (NMAC), not little guy Joe, so the loss is just written down/folded in to their business.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 AM

If you are going to lease....lease GM. Take a look at their normal wear and tear. They have tightened up a bit since I lease the GTO....but still very forgiving

https://mylease.gmfinancial.com/cont...Lease-0716.pdf
Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
If you are going to lease....lease GM. Take a look at their normal wear and tear. They have tightened up a bit since I lease the GTO....but still very forgiving

https://mylease.gmfinancial.com/cont...Lease-0716.pdf
GM gets expensive to lease (we found this w/ Buick and GMC last year before going with Honda).
So even though (to BUY) they take $15k off an Escalade - or $10-12k off a Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia Denali - the leases were sky high.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 AM

GM gets expensive to lease (we found this w/ Buick and GMC last year before going with Honda).
So even though (to BUY) they take $15k off an Escalade - or $10-12k off a Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia Denali - the leases were sky high.
I have only had one lease experience with GM. The 2004 GTO. I put ZERO down, 2 year lease, $123.00 a month. Biggest expense was tires..I put 4 sets of rear tires on the car in 17000 miles. The car was side swiped on the rear quarter by a drunken Ho who hit and ran while I was in Bed sleeping....Woke me up...Tracked her down and made her pay. Car was repaired by Mel Gratta Chevrolet very poorly. They repainted it 3 x and it never matched...I told them, the car will be turned in here...this is your garbage work.. and I do not want to hear a word about the mismatch color. It was so bad, My son was 4...he went with me to pick up the car....He said- "Daddy, it is a different color than the front" Any way....turned the car in and I got a check in the mail for 200 and some odd dollars for a security deposit I never put down (All incentive money). So all in all.....It was a fantastically fun, cheap experience. Oh, the sticker on the car was just under 35K.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
I have only had one lease experience with GM. The 2004 GTO. I put ZERO down, 2 year lease, $123.00 a month. Biggest expense was tires..I put 4 sets of rear tires on the car in 17000 miles. The car was side swiped on the rear quarter by a drunken Ho who hit and ran while I was in Bed sleeping....Woke me up...Tracked her down and made her pay. Car was repaired by Mel Gratta Chevrolet very poorly. They repainted it 3 x and it never matched...I told them, the car will be turned in here...this is your garbage work.. and I do not want to hear a word about the mismatch color. It was so bad, My son was 4...he went with me to pick up the car....He said- "Daddy, it is a different color than the front" Any way....turned the car in and I got a check in the mail for 200 and some odd dollars for a security deposit I never put down (All incentive money). So all in all.....It was a fantastically fun, cheap experience. Oh, the sticker on the car was just under 35K.

ww, Glad you enjoyed the GM lease back then because it ain't that way today!