8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Thought about trading Maxima for Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:34 PM

Thought about trading Maxima for Kia Stinger

Was close to giving up mt Maxima. Stopped by a Kia dealer to test drive the new Syinger and was impressed with it. Although it is 3 inches shorter, it appears to be roomier and has more cargo space. Also, the infotainment system appeared to be more advanced. What stopped me was the handling, and the fact that my 2016 Platinumis paid off. They offer $24,000 (49k miles bought car in 2015 June) which I thought was fair. The stinger I was eyeing cost $42k and was not top of the line (no remote start, only heated seats). Has anyone else been tempted to jump ship?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 PM

I have been wanting to check out the Stinger myself as well. BUT, only the GT2. I would not settle for any thing less. And having a Platinum Maxima. The GT2 would have to be amazing over the top with me liking it over the Maxima. With rumors swirling and heating up about the next refresh or whole new Maxima getting AWD. It makes me more and more curious where the Maxima is going design wise. My heart would sink if I had got the Kia and Nissan releases the Maxima Nismo as rumored. I can tell you this. The new 2019 Avalon Touring had me excited. Imo, pics/videos exaggerate the size of the front grill. Its not as big as it looks when you see it in person. But, it was the seats. Not even close to the Maxima. I did not even get to a test drive because I could not get past the seats right off the bat. The quality and the comfort was no where near the Maxima Platinum seats.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-12-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by gerardamorris
Was close to giving up mt Maxima. Stopped by a Kia dealer to test drive the new Syinger and was impressed with it. Although it is 3 inches shorter, it appears to be roomier and has more cargo space. Also, the infotainment system appeared to be more advanced. What stopped me was the handling, and the fact that my 2016 Platinumis paid off. They offer $24,000 (49k miles bought car in 2015 June) which I thought was fair. The stinger I was eyeing cost $42k and was not top of the line (no remote start, only heated seats). Has anyone else been tempted to jump ship?
Jump ship? Not on your life. The Max has everything I need and want.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 PM

I just bought a 96mo/120k mile Nissan SecurityPlus Gold Preferred warranty on mine. It's a great car, aside from some mild annoyances. Protection against cvtboom outside of the 5yr/60k mile window is kind of important to me. I drive 15k miles per year so looking at March 2024 before my coverage is completely gone. I thought about trading for something super efficient on gas, or more luxurious. Once you factor in getting reamed on a trade-in, taxes, miscellaneous fees, financing more money potentially, worrying about reliability / lack of a warranty on anything used... It's easier just to keep what I have and know fairly well.

She's fast, she's quiet, still a looker. May not have all the bells and whistles. Hope to have it paid off before the end of next year though...
Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 AM

If you liked the Stinger, you should hold out and test her sister car the Genesis G70. Due out any day now, same engine as the Stinger 3.3 twin turbo, but its like 3 inches shorter, about 2-300 lbs lighter, and supposed to handle even better. 0-60 in something like 4.2 seconds, stinger is 4.4. Conventional trunk not a hatchback like the Stinger.

Should be priced about the same. Top of the line Stinger GT2 you should be able to get them down around $50k without even trying hard, so if you were looking at a GT1, sub $40k is what I'd be aiming for...I don't know how firm those prices are, but there's also a lot of 0% financing which would recoup some of that savings as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 AM

All that said, did you think the backseat was big enough as compared to the Max? I felt the back seat was too small on the stinger, and in video's I've seen the G70 is no different. Great car if you don't have full grown kids or other adults to cram back there, but leg room is sacrificed on these rockets.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 AM

What about the 2.0 Turbo version...I have seen videos showing it's pretty fast for 4 cylinder turbo...granted you're losing a lot of features but if you want rear wheel drive and better handling without a CVT, it is also n option. My lease is up in October and I'm tempted to test drive one of those and the Altimta turbo...
Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 AM

G70 will have the 2.0 also, AND the 2.0 will be the only one with a Manual transmission option.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a19181716/2019-genesis-g70-manual-transmission-confirmed/

Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Preisler
What about the 2.0 Turbo version...I have seen videos showing it's pretty fast for 4 cylinder turbo...granted you're losing a lot of features but if you want rear wheel drive and better handling without a CVT, it is also n option. My lease is up in October and I'm tempted to test drive one of those and the Altimta turbo...
Report back when you have made the drive with details! . Problem is, the car is a new model and in short supply so Hard to get much of a deal right now. I don't dig the tombstone LCD display in the middle of the dash and it looks like the G70 is narrower. Overall it reminds me of the other boring Hyundais out there (OK Genesis) If anyone is looking for that 0-60 cowboy stoplight cruiser then maybe this is a possibility
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Report back when you have made the drive with details! . Problem is, the car is a new model and in short supply so Hard to get much of a deal right now. I don't dig the tombstone LCD display in the middle of the dash and it looks like the G70 is narrower. Overall it reminds me of the other boring Hyundais out there (OK Genesis) If anyone is looking for that 0-60 cowboy stoplight cruiser then maybe this is a possibility
I have a dealer 25 miles out from me that has a GT2 AWD for $48k. Not bad imo and can go lower probably if it keeps sitting there. I don't think the GT2 is a big seller because of price. I could be wrong.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I have a dealer 25 miles out from me that has a GT2 AWD for $48k. Not bad imo and can go lower probably if it keeps sitting there. I don't think the GT2 is a big seller because of price. I could be wrong.
Prices are actually great on this car. Most people, including myself.....can't get past the concept of paying 48K for a KIA. That is their biggest hurdle.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
Prices are actually great on this car. Most people, including myself.....can't get past the concept of paying 48K for a KIA. That is their biggest hurdle.
This will make it a prime deal to pick up used for a bargain in a year or two

Ive been tempted by the Stinger because of its raw speed. But then I don't want to give up all the features and stylishness of the Max, which are hard to beat in a sedan

Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
Well put. In the end, still a Kia!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:54 AM

The Cadenza would change your mind. Been in one now for about 4 years, best ride I've ever owned, even compared with the 2016 Max we have. 2016 Max by far has the superior power, but the Cadenza is a step up in just about every other way.
Talked with a guy that has the 2017 Cadenza, says it's a step up from his 2015 Genesis...

These Stingers are built solid, and have some decent fit and finish. You'd be surprised once you look it over.

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Well put. In the end, still a Kia!
Old 09-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
The Cadenza would change your mind. Been in one now for about 4 years, best ride I've ever owned, even compared with the 2016 Max we have. 2016 Max by far has the superior power, but the Cadenza is a step up in just about every other way.
Talked with a guy that has the 2017 Cadenza, says it's a step up from his 2015 Genesis...

These Stingers are built solid, and have some decent fit and finish. You'd be surprised once you look it over.
What I really have grown fond of with the Maxima is the center *** that controls many infotainment functions. I find it very convenient.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:07 PM

My wish is that the 9th generation Maxima is about 3 inches longer. Don't know why it's classified as a large sedan when many midsize sedans are bigger.