8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Need advice plz on 2016 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need advice plz on 2016 maxima

hey guys I知 trying to do some r/d on my car.. It痴 A 2016 very low mileage maxima v 6 .. I知 trying to find a shop or kit that is available to do work on her.. I知 wanting to push the horsepower over 700hp minimum.. she needs to fall in properly with my other rides.. nothing in Oklahoma offered or Dallas.. no one wants to mess with her.. thoughts suggestions please and thank you gentleman.. and ladies too if u throw idea .. thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Needin info

really dude.. that doesn稚 help me.. please respond with something useful next time.. any one have something that痴 actually useful for me to use..? Please advise ...
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kay Ras
hey guys I知 trying to do some r/d on my car.. It痴 A 2016 very low mileage maxima v 6 .. I知 trying to find a shop or kit that is available to do work on her.. I知 wanting to push the horsepower over 700hp minimum.. she needs to fall in properly with my other rides.. nothing in Oklahoma offered or Dallas.. no one wants to mess with her.. thoughts suggestions please and thank you gentleman.. and ladies too if u throw idea .. thanks
have you considered replacing the reciprocating piston gasoline engine with a turbine?

really, a front drive 700 hp car? Ok.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:35 AM

really dude.. that doesn稚 help me.. please respond with something useful next time.. any one have something that痴 actually useful for me to use..? Please advise ...
I get what you are trying for but really it is economically unfeasible to get this kind of HP. Sometime back someone wanted to try to swap out a GTR drivetrain which would be a wild enough car. The wrong car to start with.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:52 PM

That’s fantastic!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Okay Kay, let's do a feasibility study on this.

First question is how much money, max. (no pun intended), do you have to spend on this project?
Second, how much time are you willing to spend to achieve your objective?

Last edited by compyelc4; 09-13-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:45 PM

You'd have to replace the transmission too. That cvt isn't going to take 700 hp.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sugardaddy1979
You'd have to replace the transmission too. That cvt isn't going to take 700 hp.
So what is the limit?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
So what is the limit?
Stock and I am being serious.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 PM

really dude.. that doesn’t help me.. please respond with something useful next time.. any one have something that’s actually useful for me to use..? Please advise ...

No flame intended but I "got" the photo. One pic is worth a thousand words. Madmax shows you the SRT because that's the type of car you are shooting for, less of course, the cool Maxima chassis you have now. Major HP/torque requires RWD, a majorly strong drive train, including drive shaft, differential, axles, wheel bearings, exhaust system, shocks, springs, etc. I am not surprised that you can find no one who thinks they can pull this off successfully and make money doing it. Also, please remember that laying down the torque (efficiently) to the pavement wins stop light and 1/4 mile drags, not necessarily HP.

Last edited by compyelc4; 09-13-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 AM

Hey man, go f^(< yourself with your 2 post self. You can't come into a forum with that kind of bull$H!+ and expect to be taken seriously. That is assuming this isn't a put-on. If it's a put-on, great, you had your fun, but if you're dead serious about taking a $40k grocery getter and get some insight on a shop that's capable of getting you 700HP...Take it to GasMonkey Garage, they have done some crazy sh!+ before, but even they will look at you for a long pause...then exclaim "get the f^(< out of here!"

really dude.. that doesn’t help me.. please respond with something useful next time.. any one have something that’s actually useful for me to use..? Please advise ...

Old 09-14-2018, 04:53 AM

Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Beat me to the link Fishlet. I was just about about the guy building the Juke.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Is this true? I was really hoping to eventually find some performance parts and get it closer to 350 - 375 hp.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Put a LSx motor and transmission in it and SOMEHOW make it RWD. Next, you have to find someone who can make everything jive with the computer. If you have THAT kind of money you need professional financial planning because a fool and his money part ways quickly with ideas like that.

BTW...MadMax is right.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kilowhisky
Is this true? I was really hoping to eventually find some performance parts and get it closer to 350 - 375 hp.
I have learned an expensive lesson over and over since I could drive and I will give you this advice for free that I paid so dearly to learn. If you want something fast.......BUY IT THAT WAY OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. The rabbit hole is dark and deep my friend.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxima SR
I have learned an expensive lesson over and over since I could drive and I will give you this advice for free that I paid so dearly to learn. If you want something fast.......BUY IT THAT WAY OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. The rabbit hole is dark and deep my friend.
That's stupid. Sure if you want a power house monster then you should have bought one with the right bones but 50+hp is not unreasonable for most engines to handle. Every car I've owned has had some modifications done to it at some point to absolutely no ill effects. My WRX was 2x the HP by the end, my 4Runner has 4" lift and 4" bigger tires, and my Fiesta ST had a stiffer motor mount to help counteract excessive wheel hop. I know the Maxima is supposed to be a dad car but considering the VQ35DE engine has been around FOR EVER as far as engines go it has proven itself to handle plenty of power. Now unless the CVT is made of glass at the very least a chip should be able to get around 20-30hp without any physical modifications. A header back exhaust should be able to get another 15-20 as well.

Last edited by kilowhisky; 09-14-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 PM

I know we've had this conversation a jillion time with before, and basically the folks who are saying "it is what it is" are correct.

i think it is possible to do some creative things with a turbo to get more power on the low end, and increase acceleration times. At some point it has to be throttled back to keep below the CVTs max torque rating once maximum rpms are reached. In other words, get to the max HP at lower RPM, but not increase it. Also, if the simulated shift programming could be disabled, that should help too.

That is my 2 cents, I am not an automotive engineer

Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 PM

And what evidence is there of that? If I boost my HP to 320 the CVT won't work?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
And what evidence is there of that? If I boost my HP to 320 the CVT won't work?
Its a CVT. I would never mod a car with a CVT. That is just my personal opinion. Feel free to push forward if you want.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:26 AM

Its a CVT. I would never mod a car with a CVT. That is just my personal opinion. Feel free to push forward if you want.
So it is a personal opinion with no basis in fact. Alrighty then.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's stupid. Sure if you want a power house monster then you should have bought one with the right bones but 50+hp is not unreasonable for most engines to handle. Every car I've owned has had some modifications done to it at some point to absolutely no ill effects. My WRX was 2x the HP by the end, my 4Runner has 4" lift and 4" bigger tires, and my Fiesta ST had a stiffer motor mount to help counteract excessive wheel hop. I know the Maxima is supposed to be a dad car but considering the VQ35DE engine has been around FOR EVER as far as engines go it has proven itself to handle plenty of power. Now unless the CVT is made of glass at the very least a chip should be able to get around 20-30hp without any physical modifications. A header back exhaust should be able to get another 15-20 as well.
The problem is a lot of people can't stop after 50hp, like you said 2x the hp by the end. Good chance that motor's bottom end grenaded by now.

Stop relying on stated HP gains printed on the box. No way in hell you are gonna get 20-30hp with a "chip" on a non-boosted motor. That is laughable. A tune alone might get you 7-8hp but if you've added intake and exhaust bits a tune will make it run better and smoother. Just understand as soon as you "tune" a car whatever time you had left with the factory warranty is now in the toilet.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maxima SR
The problem is a lot of people can't stop after 50hp, like you said 2x the hp by the end. Good chance that motor's bottom end grenaded by now.

Stop relying on stated HP gains printed on the box. No way in hell you are gonna get 20-30hp with a "chip" on a non-boosted motor. That is laughable. A tune alone might get you 7-8hp but if you've added intake and exhaust bits a tune will make it run better and smoother. Just understand as soon as you "tune" a car whatever time you had left with the factory warranty is now in the toilet.
Nope, It went just like every EJ20 out there and blew a head gasket at 130k. Stage 3 WRX's are VERY common. Don't know anything about them? Don't talk **** about them then.

I get it, your a factory drone and don't know what your talking about. Look at the other stated uses of the VQ35DE according to Nissan. They range from 230-300. Its all l based on what Nissan wants the engine to make. Cars tuned from the factory usually have a good 20% left in their stock output to make it as reliable as possible and handle manufacturing irregularities. That's the point of a stage 1 tune, no modifications (except maybe an intake) but and a good tune. While it does happen, its VERY rare that an engine from the factory is anywhere near the limits of its capabilities.

Also no duh that your warranty will be gone. That's not the point of this endeavor. If you want to keep your precious warranty so you never have to lift a wrench then don't do anything, buy the extended service contract, and let the tech at the dealership who doesn't give a **** about your car change your oil.

The point is that while it may be getting considerably harder these days to mod your car yourself due to the technical inter-dependencies of systems. To think that it isn't possible is "laughable".

Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope, It went just like every EJ20 out there and blew a head gasket at 130k. Stage 3 WRX's are VERY common. Don't know anything about them? Don't talk **** about them then.

I get it, your a factory drone and don't know what your talking about. Look at the other stated uses of the VQ35DE according to Nissan. They range from 230-300. Its all l based on what Nissan wants the engine to make. Cars tuned from the factory usually have a good 20% left in their stock output to make it as reliable as possible and handle manufacturing irregularities. That's the point of a stage 1 tune, no modifications (except maybe an intake) but and a good tune. While it does happen, its VERY rare that an engine from the factory is anywhere near the limits of its capabilities.

Also no duh that your warranty will be gone. That's not the point of this endeavor. If you want to keep your precious warranty so you never have to lift a wrench then don't do anything, buy the extended service contract, and let the tech at the dealership who doesn't give a **** about your car change your oil.

The point is that while it may be getting considerably harder these days to mod your car yourself due to the technical inter-dependencies of systems. To think that it isn't possible is "laughable".
I know quite enough about subies bud, it's apparent your pad gets soaked when you believe they are being attacked. I hear Midol is good for that. I wasn't talking about WRX/STI's in general, anytime you double the power with boost you're usually driving around a bomb that will eventually go off. I'm quite sure you didn't get 130K with those power numbers, if you do then you're full of ****.

Yeah, when I buy a new car I would kinda like to have the precious factory warranty like most of the people on this site that have a half brain. Stop being so butt hurt it makes your replies "laughable". I await your bloviated response about how I'm an idiot and how much smarter and more knowledgable you are than me. Yawn.