8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Front left brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 03:06 PM

Front left brake noise

Thought it might be a rock or something stuck in the brake shield. But, the front left side makes horrible screeching noise that are piercing when applying the brakes. The dealer checked them out and noticed some brake dust. Cleaned them off and went ahead inspected all brakes. Said everything was fine. The weather is changing now and getting cold. BUT, last winter I never heard that horrible noise. Anyone have this problem before? I also notice at take off I can hear the noise just a bit as well but you have to listen for it to really hear it.

Something possibly stuck or rubbing that they missed?
Old 11-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Thought it might be a rock or something stuck in the brake shield. But, the front left side makes horrible screeching noise that are piercing when applying the brakes. The dealer checked them out and noticed some brake dust. Cleaned them off and went ahead inspected all brakes. Said everything was fine. The weather is changing now and getting cold. BUT, last winter I never heard that horrible noise. Anyone have this problem before? I also notice at take off I can hear the noise just a bit as well but you have to listen for it to really hear it.

Something possibly stuck or rubbing that they missed?
Sounds like you might have some baked on brake dust on your linings. Some BMW's exhibit this noise quite a bit and BMW recommends this: Find a fairly deserted, dry road and run your Max up to around 50mph and apply brakes with authority until you slow down to 10mph or so. Do this about 5 times in a row. This will get the brakes very hot. Then see if the squealing goes away. If it does then you just scraped off the burned residue baked on to the pads in a more vigorous manner than your tech might have. I've done this with a few of my cars with good results. If this does not work then take her back in for pad replacements on both fronts. Make sure your tech cleaned the back of the pads as well as the faces. If you do this yourself then I would also apply a light coating of silicone grease to the rear of the pads where they touch the calipers. Also clean and apply lube sparingly to the part of the caliper piston that pushes against the rear of the pad. Since I have started replacing my own pads I have NEVER experience break squeal. What I do is clean and lube the caliper "slides" and clean and lube all surfaces where the pads touch the calipers and piston. I use high temperature silicone grease for this. Use sparingly. Good luck. I understand how much break squeal can ruin a nice drive.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:08 PM

Good information. Thank you!!!!! I am sure you are most likely right on this, as the brakes checked out fine according to the tech. Also in the tech notes once he power washed the brake dust away. The noise was not heard any
more.