8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Hesitation when starting (infrequent)

Old 01-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Hesitation when starting (infrequent)

Hi Folks,
I have a 2016 SR with 45k miles. I've noticed something that has occurred now for the 2nd or maybe 3rd time. I'll go to start my car and it will take longer than normal to start. The engine is turning, but it takes a few seconds longer to actually turn over and run. If I were to guess, maybe up to 5 seconds (which is a long time). Generally, when you put your foot on the brake pedal, and hit the START button, it turns over quickly. A note regarding the brake pedal: I do remember the first time I ever noticed this, I may NOT have had enough pressure on the brake pedal. However, I am not certain if pedal pressure has anything to do with it. Anyone else experience this? Other than that, I've had no issues in driving or performance of the vehicle.

I did get a letter from Nissan regarding a possible EVAP issue on certain 2016 models. The symptoms they describe do not match what I am explaining. However, I may need to give them a call to be certain. I do have the extended warranty on this so I might as well use it.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 AM

I have a 2018 and this has happened to me as well, about 2-3 times. I have 11K mile on the car and this issue appears to be random..
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM

I had it happen twice (in 80K miles) on my 10. It hiccuped while going through the starting sequence, and ultimately flooded itself. I had to hold the start button down while holding the accelerator to floor to start it.

I've had my 16 hiccup, but never fail to start.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM

Could it just be low battery voltage. Nissan OEM battery for the max is a little weak.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM

I bet the battery needs to be replaced.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:32 AM

Happened to mine once or twice. But at time the vehicle was relatively new maybe 2K miles. Never had that before. I donít think itís the battery.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17 View Post
Happened to mine once or twice. But at time the vehicle was relatively new maybe 2K miles. Never had that before. I don’t think it’s the battery.

The correct automotive term for this is "extended crank" or "extended start". This should have nothing to do with battery or starter IF the starter is turning normal speed when this occurs. Has happened to my new '17SL three times in its 22,000 miles, the first time at about 5,000 mi. The extended crank time was about 2 sec., which sounds short, but feels like an eternity when you normally get an immediate start. Always happened in warm climate, in the garage on the first start of the day. It has been so infrequent that I have never had it checked out. One more time and I'll have it checked for codes. If your Max is still within warranty we might want to "get this occurrence on dealer records so if it gets worse out of warranty you might have some leg to stand on. My '07 Vette started out like this at about 15,000 miles and got continually worse over 5 years until I would get an extended crank on EVERY start. Ended up being a $1.50 plastic valve in the fuel pump that was allowing pressurized fuel in the fuel line to flow back into the engine, effectively leaving the fuel line empty until the fuel pump, on startup, re-pressurized the fuel line to the injectors. This never affected drivability. Unfortunately that kind of failure does not set a code. :-( A new fuel pump, to the tune of $1600 dollars (mostly labor) solved that problem and I still own this amazing car. Now don't worry, the Max system is probably totally different but it does give one something to think about.

Last edited by compyelc4; 01-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:37 PM

Get your battery tested, I believe autozone will test it for free or take it to the dealer and use your extended warranty. You are in the North East and its winter, was the car sitting outdoors not started for some time?. Nissan batteries are not the best in terms of quality.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by MaxJoe75 View Post
Get your battery tested, I believe autozone will test it for free or take it to the dealer and use your extended warranty. You are in the North East and its winter, was the car sitting outdoors not started for some time?. Nissan batteries are not the best in terms of quality.
Itís not battery. As previous post mentions it has something to do with the fuel lines and pump.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by JS Bach View Post
Hi Folks,
I have a 2016 SR with 45k miles. I've noticed something that has occurred now for the 2nd or maybe 3rd time. I'll go to start my car and it will take longer than normal to start. The engine is turning, but it takes a few seconds longer to actually turn over and run. If I were to guess, maybe up to 5 seconds (which is a long time). Generally, when you put your foot on the brake pedal, and hit the START button, it turns over quickly. A note regarding the brake pedal: I do remember the first time I ever noticed this, I may NOT have had enough pressure on the brake pedal. However, I am not certain if pedal pressure has anything to do with it. Anyone else experience this? Other than that, I've had no issues in driving or performance of the vehicle.

I did get a letter from Nissan regarding a possible EVAP issue on certain 2016 models. The symptoms they describe do not match what I am explaining. However, I may need to give them a call to be certain. I do have the extended warranty on this so I might as well use it.

Do you run on low or high? You always fill up your gas tank or not? What grade do you usually use?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post
I bet the battery needs to be replaced.
Right on--it is the battery. Ask me how I know
Old 01-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel View Post
Right on--it is the battery. Ask me how I know
Probably, but only if crank speed is lower than normal. If starter turns just as quickly as normal, but just does not fire up then not battery.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by MaxJoe75 View Post
Sorry, extended warranty does not cover battery. If original battery, it is covered by factory warranty 3 years/36000 miles.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:07 PM

Did you get it checked? Let us know the outcome.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:49 AM

I have experienced this 3 or 4 times in the last year since owning my max. I definitely feels like a fuel delivery issue to me and not a batter or starter problem.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 PM

All incorrect. Just pour in a bottle of HEET gas line antifreeze/water remover. The alcohol in HEET forces the water in the gas tank to mix (suspend in solution) with the gasoline and burns it. No more water in gas tank leading to these mysterious hard-crank/stall/no-start issues. Problem solved (worked for me...also have a 2004 Malibu stalling because of this...it's real).
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 PM

I have this same rare issue. Maybe 1 in 50 starts. It's not the battery for sure. The hesitation is definitely in the fuel or spark. I'll try HEET.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 573dave View Post
I have this same rare issue. Maybe 1 in 50 starts. It's not the battery for sure. The hesitation is definitely in the fuel or spark. I'll try HEET.
it's definitely worth a shot. good luck!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by me9798 View Post
All incorrect. Just pour in a bottle of HEET gas line antifreeze/water remover. The alcohol in HEET forces the water in the gas tank to mix (suspend in solution) with the gasoline and burns it. No more water in gas tank leading to these mysterious hard-crank/stall/no-start issues. Problem solved (worked for me...also have a 2004 Malibu stalling because of this...it's real).
If, as you say, all info provided so far is "incorrect" (which are all guesses anyway until real problem is diagnosed and found), then how would you explain this occurrence happening in hot, dry weather, AND very intermittently? Water in fuel tank does not usually happen in warm climates, and the symptoms are not so once-in-a-while happenings. Why would one need Heet when it is hot? I'm willing to listen and learn something new. If the HEET suggestion does not work (it may take us literally months to find out because the extended crank condition is very intermittent), then drop a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel input line to the injectors, in hopes of catching maybe a fuel pressure leak-back problem. Wish I knew more about the Max fuel delivery problem.

Last edited by compyelc4; 01-26-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
If, as you say, all info provided so far is "incorrect" (which are all guesses anyway until real problem is diagnosed and found), then how would you explain this occurrence happening in hot, dry weather, AND very intermittently?
A. I didnít know water in fuel only happened in winter.
B. I bought my Maxima in August and hadnít really noticed it til it cooled down here anyway.
C. My first thoughts were seafoam to clean out the fuel system but Heet sounded plausable to me so I figured Iíd try.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:46 AM

I hear Seafoam products are great. Also consider Techron additive. I get mine by the 6 unit case from Costco sometimes on sale for under 20 bucks. This Techron injector cleaner seems to work fine on myh 44 K 2016 Maxima.

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-27-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had the same issue with mine for the last two weeks,
i brought it to the dealer they could not figure out the issue, they put a scan everything seemed to be all good they said, they cleaned the battery corrossion etc...i took it back drove it all day no problem
next morning had the say problem again , the car takes time to start up , it keep cranking and doesnt fire up then i took it back and they kept it for about 4 days at the dealership they said there was a gas contamination prob and some bull**** "i dont trust that" anyways they empty the gas tank, they changed the spark plugs and cleaned the Engine so far it seems to be just ok , not sure yet back to normal , and one more thing the Remote starter won't turn the car on when its cold outside unless i was driving it for a while.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thats what i was thought, Fuel Pump is making this issue