8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Fuel economy reset

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 78
Fuel economy reset

I noticed today that for some reason my fuel economy was reset, as well as my trip odometer. The car asked me if I wanted to reset my best fuel economy, and its been below zero here in Wisconsin for a little while now, so Im not getting great fuel mileage. Has anyone else had this happen? Does it have something to do with the cold weather?
candt is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by candt View Post
I noticed today that for some reason my fuel economy was reset, as well as my trip odometer. The car asked me if I wanted to reset my best fuel economy, and its been below zero here in Wisconsin for a little while now, so Im not getting great fuel mileage. Has anyone else had this happen? Does it have something to do with the cold weather?
My "Best Fuel economy" reset itself when my new battery was installed on my 41K mile 2016 Maxima. Was not happy since I had a 35.2 MPG showing each time I was in the car after shut down. Since it is so cold, perhaps the battery voltage drop did this. This is independant of the other MPG readings you get while cruising.
robtroxel is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 326
Mine was reset too.. it happens due to low temperatures. I’ve heard from a few people last winter that they were having this odd reset
NisCal17 is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:56 PM
  #4  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by robtroxel View Post
My "Best Fuel economy" reset itself when my new battery was installed on my 41K mile 2016 Maxima. Was not happy since I had a 35.2 MPG showing each time I was in the car after shut down. Since it is so cold, perhaps the battery voltage drop did this. This is independant of the other MPG readings you get while cruising.
You got 35.2 mpg, now is that with 87 octane or the preferred premium? I'm running a constant 91 and I haven't seen 30's since my trip where I did get up to 34.
SLZanoMax is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by SLZanoMax View Post
You got 35.2 mpg, now is that with 87 octane or the preferred premium? I'm running a constant 91 and I haven't seen 30's since my trip where I did get up to 34.
Yes, got mid 30s on several occasions running a steady 70 mph on flat interstate roads. Must admit that is not the norm in cold weather. More like 31-32 mpg in the winter all on (drum roll) REGULAR!. This will pull some snorts about "if you can't afford premium crowd" that you are somehow mistreating your Maxima. ETC
robtroxel is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 08:49 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Last week here in Massachusetts we had a few cold days. Mine got reset too.

Last year (feb 18) I asked the dealer about this. He seemed to know about it but said Nissan hadn't provided them with any feedback on what to do.
MoopMeep is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by robtroxel View Post
Yes, got mid 30s on several occasions running a steady 70 mph on flat interstate roads. Must admit that is not the norm in cold weather. More like 31-32 mpg in the winter all on (drum roll) REGULAR!. This will pull some snorts about "if you can't afford premium crowd" that you are somehow mistreating your Maxima. ETC
You and many others are misunderstanding the issue. Since premium is recommended, not required, of course you are not damaging your car by putting in regular. Premium is recommended, though, because premium gasolines have more detergents and additives, which, over time, will keep your engine cleaner.

To put it differently: if I go to the doctor and he recommends I do something that will be to my benefit, I will do it if i can. Gas is relatively cheap nowadays, and I would argue anyone who has $30k+ to spend on a Maxima should be able to afford premium gas, or at least mid-grade.

It is for the same reason I get a car wash once a week at least now, in the cold and snowy season. Do I have to? Does Nissan require it? No, they don't even recommend it. But I do it anyway to keep as much salt off my brand new car until snow is out of the picture, because I know what will happen, over time, if I don't do it [been there, done that with my 2005 Max].
lionel2013 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BC CANADA
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by lionel2013 View Post
You and many others are misunderstanding the issue. Since premium is recommended, not required, of course you are not damaging your car by putting in regular. Premium is recommended, though, because premium gasolines have more detergents and additives, which, over time, will keep your engine cleaner.

To put it differently: if I go to the doctor and he recommends I do something that will be to my benefit, I will do it if i can. Gas is relatively cheap nowadays, and I would argue anyone who has $30k+ to spend on a Maxima should be able to afford premium gas, or at least mid-grade.

It is for the same reason I get a car wash once a week at least now, in the cold and snowy season. Do I have to? Does Nissan require it? No, they don't even recommend it. But I do it anyway to keep as much salt off my brand new car until snow is out of the picture, because I know what will happen, over time, if I don't do it [been there, done that with my 2005 Max].
Check what your owners manual indicates about washing your car.
240tomax is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 07:35 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
<<Check what your owners manual indicates about washing your car.>>

Yep, I did, and this is what it says:

<<Do not use car washes that use acid in the detergent. Some car washes, especially brushless ones, use some acid for cleaning. The acid may react with some plastic vehicle components, causing them to crack. This could affect their appearance, and also could cause them not to function properly. Always check with your car wash to confirm that acid is not used.>>

OK, so what's your point?
lionel2013 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wally9mm
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
1
11-22-2010 10:15 AM
ghettomaximaz
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
1
04-11-2006 12:29 PM
Cubanato
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
2
07-12-2004 12:40 PM
cosmo
General Maxima Discussion
22
11-05-2000 08:15 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel economy reset


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.