8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 headlights

I just received my platinum about 3 weeks ago from a Texas dealer. And have been going back and forth with them about my headlights. The seals must be broken because I have condensation in both. And they are halogen and not led. So my question is are the halogen and led headlight housings the same or are they different?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MafiaGenius
I just received my platinum about 3 weeks ago from a Texas dealer. And have been going back and forth with them about my headlights. The seals must be broken because I have condensation in both. And they are halogen and not led. So my question is are the halogen and led headlight housings the same or are they different?

Well I have bad news for you. I believe that Platinum always came with LED headlights. And those are imbedded into the housing means no way you can change the bulb or do any sort of modification. I have only one clue. The car has been in the accident and repair shop went cheaper way. Those are probably Chinese or Taiwanese aftermarket headlight with regular bulb sockets or they could be original but used from S, SV or SL also brought from eBay/ junkyard. Best to check if bulbs rubber o-rings are ok. There are 3 on each housings. And also inspect the housings. If they are used they probably been taken out from salvage cars. Those might have cracks in the tabs or at the back of the housing.

Sorry man. I guess you could live with upgrading your bulbs to aftermarket LEDs and they will work just like Platinum’s if not better but those are not factory Platinum headlights housings you’ve got right now.

Last edited by NisCal17; 04-03-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So you're saying that the platinum has a different headlight housing than all other trim levels? I though it would just be different bulbs.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Run your VIN to verify if you have a Platinum.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MafiaGenius
So you're saying that the platinum has a different headlight housing than all other trim levels? I though it would just be different bulbs.
Yes, Platinum has built-in led modules into the headlights( low beams only). The other trims have traditional bulb sockets.

If you wouldn’t mentioned that those are halogens. I would have thought that high beam or turn bulb has a bad o-ring. But since you said they are halogens on Platinum it’s kinda became suspicious.

Anyways see how it’s built. First is factory LED( no access to led module). Second is factory halogen with socket for low beam installed on S, SV, SL and I believe SR( not sure about SR)

Last edited by NisCal17; 04-03-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Richard66
Run your VIN to verify if you have a Platinum.
It's a platinum it has the diamond stitching, birds eye view, heated and cooled seats.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NisCal17
Yes, Platinum has built-in led modules into the headlights( low beams only). The other trims have traditional bulb sockets.

If you wouldn’t mentioned that those are halogens. I would have thought that high beam or turn bulb has a bad o-ring. But since you said they are halogens on Platinum it’s kinda became suspicious.

Anyways see how it’s built. First is factory LED( no access to led module). Second is factory halogen with socket for low beam installed on S, SV, SL and I believe SR( not sure about SR)

Thanks so much for the visual. This is exactly whay I was looking for.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Sounds like your car was cannibalized before you bought it. It should have LED,s, not Halogen. Its a shame too because to get back what the car should have had will probably set you back over $1000...
Old 04-04-2019, 12:32 PM

def should have LED! thats so strange, hope they are not that expensive if you need to change both of them.. just replaced 2 LED headlight housing on my merc... 3200$. crazy
Old 04-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Sounds like your car was cannibalized before you bought it. It should have LED,s, not Halogen. Its a shame too because to get back what the car should have had will probably set you back over $1000...
I'm talking with the dealer tomorrow what he is going to do to make it right.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Never hurts to ask, Cleary this is an evolved form of vandalism, but they just put the cheaper housings in it's place and upgraded their own ride. Like adding water to your oldman's vodka after you swipe a few oz's...not that I've ever done that.

But all that said, it's hard for the dealer to have know this was done before he got the car. Could have been a lease, and the guy that owned it knew someone else that had a Maxima and said hey, let's do this before I turn in the car. Clean enough it got past the normal inspection. Now, if this happened on his lot, then he's 100% responsible, but you can't really prove anything either way. So that said, if he met you somewhere in the middle on replacing the housings that would be ideal. Anything above that would be gravy.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Never hurts to ask, Cleary this is an evolved form of vandalism, but they just put the cheaper housings in it's place and upgraded their own ride. Like adding water to your oldman's vodka after you swipe a few oz's...not that I've ever done that.

But all that said, it's hard for the dealer to have know this was done before he got the car. Could have been a lease, and the guy that owned it knew someone else that had a Maxima and said hey, let's do this before I turn in the car. Clean enough it got past the normal inspection. Now, if this happened on his lot, then he's 100% responsible, but you can't really prove anything either way. So that said, if he met you somewhere in the middle on replacing the housings that would be ideal. Anything above that would be gravy.
I don’t think it’s that easy to swap those. Factory LEDs has 2 inputs harness unlike halogen which has single input. I believe S, SV and SL simply lack this extra harness.( but I could be wring) but it seems very likely.

Too be fair. If you will swap halogens with aftermarket LEDs like a proper 45W per bulb. They will outperform factory led by a lot.