8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Audio issue - 2019 Max Platuinum

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Audio issue - 2019 Max Platuinum

I have had my 2019 Max Platinum since March 19 - I have noticed a huge difference in audio volume between sources - anyone know if the volume can be leveled between inputs?? Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 AM

2019 Platinum delivered on Feb 30. 2019>>Yes the head unit has changed (Diffferent Nav) but what I notice is that the system wants to defer to my already inserted USB music stick, rather than resuming the radio from a cold start. Volume levels do need to be adjusted from XM to USB. My earlier 2016 Plat was more stable in that regard.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by rbaker100
I have had my 2019 Max Platinum since March 19 - I have noticed a huge difference in audio volume between sources - anyone know if the volume can be leveled between inputs?? Thanks for the replies!
These are my findings. I kind of manage it by keeping the volume low (as @robtroxel notes, the car is quieter - I think it has Bose active noise cancellation).

- I find that the bass on XM is unusable, and have cancelled my account.
- FM is pretty okay/stable (HD Radio).
- CarPlay is kind of low, but some Apple sources (Amazon vs. Apple Music vs. Podcasts) can be louder
Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Volume level problem

I’ve had similar volume issues since I bought my 2019 SL a few months ago. If I’m listening to SiriusXM at a decent volume, for me it’s set at around 10. Every other source I’m around 20-25 including making a Bluetooth phone call where I might have to crank it up even higher. Don’t get me wrong, I like my music loud but there’s no reason there should be such a difference in volume settings between sources.

Last edited by Nate Van Dorn; 01-13-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Van Dorn
I’ve had had the same issue since I bought my 2019 SL a few months ago. SiriusXM seems to be the only source that in my mind is where it should be level wise, curious if you’ve figured anything out?
You are saying XM is the only source that levels *are* where they should be?
In my case, XM bass was overdone (due to compression?) to a point that my brain hurt.
i cancelled it.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:43 PM

I just traded my '17 with a '20 Max SR on Saturday and the first thing I noticed was how much better the sound of the audio was. The reason I noticed this first was because for 3 years I could not stand the sound of old system, In fact that was the only thing that disappointed me in that car, it was either too muddy or not enough bass. It always just sounded like crap to me which I suspected It would because I have always hated bose. Now while this is not perfect, and the Sirius is definitely a bit heavy on the bass side, this system has impressed the hell out of me compared to the old system.

I have not gotten to really drive the car all that much, but from what I see and hear in the audio is so much worth the extra $ in monthly payment. I figured this first post on the new ride should be about my very first impression.

If I had to sum up in a few words, I would say louder and clearer.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:26 PM

Congrats what color is it and how do you like the 2020 compared to it 17.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by nas0808
Congrats what color is it and how do you like the 2020 compared to it 17.
I got white, I did not like the black rims or wheels as some people might be quick to point out. Lol.
It was just too much black for me, the white looks sick with black.

I'll post more pics after I get the windows tinted.

Have not been driving it all that much due to weather and work so when I can drive it more I'll give it a quick review. With that said I definitely notice some differences, not sure if they are good or bad as of yet but just different.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

@rbaker100 besides that volume issue how happy are you with the head unit? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog and I've set my heart on the kenwood dmx 7706s. The thing I liked about this blog is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. This article is a bit critical. It has highlighted some flaws that put me on the fence. What do you say?

Any tips?

Last edited by Virgil25; 01-22-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angry Did this ever get resolved?

Originally Posted by robtroxel
2019 Platinum delivered on Feb 30. 2019>>Yes the head unit has changed (Diffferent Nav) but what I notice is that the system wants to defer to my already inserted USB music stick, rather than resuming the radio from a cold start. Volume levels do need to be adjusted from XM to USB. My earlier 2016 Plat was more stable in that regard.
I recently got a 2019 SR and mine is doing the same thing. It will either go to the CD player or USB even if radio was the last thing I listened to. Also, the USB random is not very random and I find it repeating what I listened to within 5-6 songs. I have to go to USB menu > Songs and pick something random again but within 5-6 songs it is right back to where I started.

I did see if there was a software update but there was none and I suspect that the dealer will not be any help in this case.

Other than that, I think the sound is great.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same issue with my 2018 SV. One of the things I like about aftermarket head units, they usually come with a source level adjuster. It sucks that swapping out the head units of these newer cars is such a pain in the *** since climate control and just about everything else is integrated into the stereo.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:52 AM

Lately my 2019 Maxima Platinum sound system with 10 K on the clock will sometimes go silent>> though all the screens stay lit no matter if it is radio, usb, xm. Only fix is to stop the car turn off engine and restart. (reboot). This behaviour seems to occur about twice a month. I have to get to the dealer and get it written up at least so there is a proof stream if it gets worse. Any other 19-20 Max owners with this issue? I understand to control heads were changed for the 2019s and later (Different brand?) No more SD cards to lose either!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radio frequency problems

This is something I have been trying to get some help with. I recently bought a 2018 midnight SR USA soecs. Weirdly enough, the radio frequency only toggles through odd numbers (87.1 87.3 87.5 etc) and wont go to 87.2 87.4 and so on. I believe thats the case with all maxima which are usa specs coz i checked a couple of cars with the same type of radio. Since i live in the UAE and we have most radio stations at even number frequencies (104.4 103.8 etc) i was wondering if there is a cheap fix for resetting or reprogramming the radio so it goes to all frequencies. Coz its definitely a software fix. The hardware can't be limited to only alternative frequencies. If somone could help me with that plz.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lately my 2019 Maxima Platinum sound system with 10 K on the clock will sometimes go silent>> though all the screens stay lit no matter if it is radio, usb, xm. Only fix is to stop the car turn off engine and restart. (reboot). This behaviour seems to occur about twice a month. I have to get to the dealer and get it written up at least so there is a proof stream if it gets worse. Any other 19-20 Max owners with this issue? I understand to control heads were changed for the 2019s and later (Different brand?) No more SD cards to lose either!
This has happened to me. 2019 SR. Seems to be the same timing. Every now and then. Maybe once or twice a month.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:41 PM

i have a 19 SV and it does the same thing. Problem is that I had a stereo upgrade done....all new focal speakers, 300 watt amp, digital converter, etc. still cutting out as it did prior to install. Nissan is currently working with their master techs to see what they are going to do. They mentioned that I might haVe voided warranty with install. Was done professionally. Will know more this week
Old 03-18-2020, 11:39 AM

Me too.
I just do the 10 second radio power button reboot.
I have videos of this if you want them @robtroxel . Here's one (no audio - BEFORE the chrome surround on the OK button fell off):
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UVV...y8VpO4SjVhVjIw

As an aside I got a call today from my dealer about a "missed service appointment" that I never scheduled.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Me too.
I just do the 10 second radio power button reboot.
I have videos of this if you want them @robtroxel . Here's one (no audio - BEFORE the chrome surround on the OK button fell off):
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UVV...y8VpO4SjVhVjIw

As an aside I got a call today from my dealer about a "missed service appointment" that I never scheduled.
Thanks for the tip on this. Hope your car is doing better. Mine just went over 10 K last week. As for the service appointment, it appears our 19-20 Maximas send out emails to us and the dealer giving car status reports and mileage. Some dealers proactively want to schedule the service appointment without our input. I am going to remove my car from logging on to my home WIFI to slow this unauthorized reporting down since the car seems to issue reports through this connection.

Last edited by robtroxel; 03-18-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 PM

had the same issue with my 19 SV. Since I had new speakers and amp professionally installed Nissan wouldn’t work with me!!! So, I just put in a new kenwood unit and have not had a problem yet. All loudness issues were resolved though.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by haywardga
had the same issue with my 19 SV. Since I had new speakers and amp professionally installed Nissan wouldn’t work with me!!! So, I just put in a new kenwood unit and have not had a problem yet. All loudness issues were resolved though.
Does that negate the use of the steering wheel audio controls?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:27 PM

Does that negate the use of the steering wheel audio controls?
I retained the use of steering wheel controls. Since I didn’t buy the navigation unit I lost the use of maps and with the control **** below the shifter. Wasn’t concerned with that bought because I use Waze or google maps which is always updated.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing here with 9k on the clock. Been doing it since new. Nissan Rep looked at it and it has had the head unit replaced with NO change. This is my LAST Nissan as this problem has been ignored by them as they cannot “observe” the problem. They probably think it’s operator error... This is a lease and I give them very poor marks for their lack of customer care and total disregard after head unit replacement. That is, the dealer is getting no feedback from Nissan, so I’m done. Not to mention all the other problems like volume inconsistencies and serious xm bass issues.
Once an avid fan of this platform, I’m now very bitter over they way I have been treated! Truth be told.... They either know they were sold a truck load of bad head units and are ducking recalls due to expense OR flat out don’t know how to repair OR all. I’m done with Nissan.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bgetz
Same thing here with 9k on the clock. Been doing it since new. Nissan Rep looked at it and it has had the head unit replaced with NO change. This is my LAST Nissan as this problem has been ignored by them as they cannot “observe” the problem. They probably think it’s operator error... This is a lease and I give them very poor marks for their lack of customer care and total disregard after head unit replacement. That is, the dealer is getting no feedback from Nissan, so I’m done. Not to mention all the other problems like volume inconsistencies and serious xm bass issues.
Once an avid fan of this platform, I’m now very bitter over they way I have been treated! Truth be told.... They either know they were sold a truck load of bad head units and are ducking recalls due to expense OR flat out don’t know how to repair OR all. I’m done with Nissan.
Nissans response from Nissan America was for me to pull all aftermarket speakers, wires and amp, put oem speakers and wires back and then see if they can figure out. Wtf!!! Funny thing was I told them about this issue prior to any mods. Love the car but this is bs. Anyway, 1000 dollars later with install, I have a new kenwood receiver. Much better sound.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Faraz Masood
This is something I have been trying to get some help with. I recently bought a 2018 midnight SR USA soecs. Weirdly enough, the radio frequency only toggles through odd numbers (87.1 87.3 87.5 etc) and wont go to 87.2 87.4 and so on. I believe thats the case with all maxima which are usa specs coz i checked a couple of cars with the same type of radio. Since i live in the UAE and we have most radio stations at even number frequencies (104.4 103.8 etc) i was wondering if there is a cheap fix for resetting or reprogramming the radio so it goes to all frequencies. Coz its definitely a software fix. The hardware can't be limited to only alternative frequencies. If somone could help me with that plz.
did the issue resolved???
Old 09-14-2021, 01:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mazinmohd11@gmail.com
did the issue resolved???
no dude.still the same
Old 09-14-2021, 01:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Faraz Masood
no dude.still the same
even i got same problem... i am based in dubai.... i sacrificed the radio & Maps for Apple Car Play :-(