8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Looking to buy a Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Looking to buy a Maxima?

I am Currently leasing a 2017 Infiniti Q60. The lease will be up soon and I am looking at used Maxima's. They seem to be a good compromise between my Q60 and a family car. I’m looking for opinions on the Maxima. We all know the CVT sucks but I was mildly impressed with a 2017 Maxima I test drove. Much better than others. What about the CVT life expectancy? The 300 Hp Maxima seems like more Hp than other CVT cars have. Any other concerns?

My reasons for wanting Maxima. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
  • very similar cockpit feel to my Q60 that I absolutely love
  • Apple car play
  • decent power for the size of car
  • decent styling
  • i have owned 3 Nissans and always loved them. My 2004 Titan still runs like a champ
  • cool features like heated steering wheel, auto start, heated/cooled seats, decent information center.
Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:09 PM

Used.... I don’t know. But if you have no choice I would say go with the Platinum only. Everything else is kinda equipped so 10s.

I’m waiting for the new Maxima see what they offer. And also got impressed what Kia Optima is bringing to the market this summer. You get all the bells and whistles for only 33K (tech loaded). They will offering GT model with 2.5 Turbo later but the first two will be coming with 1.6 turbo and 2.0

Old 02-11-2020, 03:01 PM

"We all know the CVT sucks" I for one would totally disagree with you. You get power when you want it...not when the transmission wants to provide power. My only beef with my 2017 is the fake shift points. And the gas mileage, especially on the highway is outstanding compared a comparable car. My 06 Maxima was a standard transmission and my 2013 Maxima was my first ever automatic transmission after almost 30 years of driving. Of course the purists hate the CTV, but you will learn to love it quickly. There is a reason Formula 1 bans CTV transmissions.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jsendrey
I am Currently leasing a 2017 Infiniti Q60. The lease will be up soon and I am looking at used Maxima's. They seem to be a good compromise between my Q60 and a family car. I’m looking for opinions on the Maxima. We all know the CVT sucks but I was mildly impressed with a 2017 Maxima I test drove. Much better than others. What about the CVT life expectancy? The 300 Hp Maxima seems like more Hp than other CVT cars have. Any other concerns?

• Apple car play
  • decent styling
  • i have owned 3 Nissans and always loved them. My 2004 Titan still runs like a champ
  • cool features like heated steering wheel, auto start, heated/cooled seats, decent information center.
"We all know the CVT sucks..." You will find most will differ with you on this board. And we know our Maxima's and CVT's. You make not a good first impression here in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:34 AM

You can probably get a very good deal on a 2017 Platinum (considering how fast these cars depreciate), but make sure you do a very thorough inspection and test drive. I'd be very worried about the reliability. CPO with extended warranty would be a good idea.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:08 AM

I am with you on the CVT- They all suck
Old 02-12-2020, 04:50 AM

MY CVT does not suck, everyone stay bashing on the CVT when it isn't bad. look just do your research test drive inspect and make a decision. not everyone on here feels that CVT is trash because it really isn't you just have to keep up with regular maintenance and fluid changes just like any other car. i have in 18 maxi sv and i love it, coming from in 06 maxi big difference for me. i love it period do your extensive research and dive in if you want. its in amazing car havent had any problems with mine, changed CVT at 35-40K cant remember oild change as usual and my maxi been running and still running smoothly.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 AM

Go for it! I got my '17 SL used and love it. The CVT really isn't bad and gives you power right when you want it. Just go for a test drive and see whether its okay or not for you. Go for an '18 at least I would say so you can get Android Auto, '17 if you care about Carplay. '19 and above if you want lane keep assist, etc,

My service techs say they haven't had any 8th gen Maxima CVTs come in for the same implosion as the Altima or Rogues. I've read that the V6 paired CVTs in the Maxima can handle their power better than the cheaper ones they put in the cheaper cars. After all, you can't have your flagship cars dying can you?

Only issue I've had so far with the car is a couple rattles but nothing that can't be taken care of easily and quickly
Old 02-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
"We all know the CVT sucks..." You will find most will differ with you on this board. And we know our Maxima's and CVT's. You make not a good first impression here in my opinion.
ditto
Old 02-12-2020, 06:22 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not here to bash the CVT or have you tell me how great it is. Sorry if I came across that way. The point of my comments was to say that I know the CVT isn't the greatest but I really just wanted to know how the car is overall besides the CVT and how long CVT lasts. Its a step down from cars I normally buy but I was impressed that its still a decent car for the price and cockpit feel was similar to my Infiniti. I have my mind set on a 2018 SR Midnight and will most likely go with this. Unfortunately I cannot find any used ones near the Charlotte area so I am looking to purchase out of state. I am here to get some last minute thoughts from those who own them before I commit to buying something 500 miles away.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 AM

I bought a used 2018 a year ago. First Nissan; first CVT. It was a step-down for me too as I generally drive Mercedes. But I couldn’t resist the price after driving a rental.

the feel of the CVT took a bit to get used to. It’s weird not feeling gears and at times accelerating as the RPMs stay steady or decrease.

its a bigger car than I like but has great road comfort. I generally like smaller sport performance cars. But as I age...

what I like: great seats, great technology integration; lots of power and throttle response.

what I don’t like: thin skinned... I’ve collected more parking lot dings on this car than all cars I’ve owned since 1980! Also don’t like the dealerships since both near me feature a gauntlet of pushy sales guys one needs to traverse to get to parts or service.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM

Hows the paint? I own a 2004 Nissan Titan and the paint is still in great condition. My 2017 Infiniti is speckled with small rock chips already and it just hit 30,000 miles. This reason alone is why I am getting rid of the Infiniti.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BrianShaw
I bought a used 2018 a year ago. First Nissan; first CVT. It was a step-down for me too as I generally drive Mercedes. But I couldn’t resist the price after driving a rental.

the feel of the CVT took a bit to get used to. It’s weird not feeling gears and at times accelerating as the RPMs stay steady or decrease.

its a bigger car than I like but has great road comfort. I generally like smaller sport performance cars. But as I age...

what I like: great seats, great technology integration; lots of power and throttle response.

what I don’t like: thin skinned... I’ve collected more parking lot dings on this car than all cars I’ve owned since 1980! Also don’t like the dealerships since both near me feature a gauntlet of pushy sales guys one needs to traverse to get to parts or service.
Nissan body panels are like tin foil
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM

Hows the paint? I own a 2004 Nissan Titan and the paint is still in great condition. My 2017 Infiniti is speckled with small rock chips already and it just hit 30,000 miles. This reason alone is why I am getting rid of the Infiniti.
Trucks are much higher and take a lot less road blasting
Old 02-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Ditto again. The CVT does not suck. It's not sporty for sure, but its definitely not slow either. As far as long term reliability, there plenty of 7th gens around with over 100k , some with much more... so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

as for the paint job... mine is getting some speckles on it. No major chips or discoloration though. I don't know if it's any better or worse than other cars out there. If that is the reason why your getting rid of your Infiniti, I doubt you'll do any better with a Nissan (it's probably exactly the same paint)

DO get a Maxima if you want lots of features for the money. It's not a true luxury or sports car, but it's a pretty good mix (especially if you get the platinum)

Old 02-13-2020, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Ditto again. The CVT does not suck. It's not sporty for sure, but its definitely not slow either. As far as long term reliability, there plenty of 7th gens around with over 100k , some with much more... so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

as for the paint job... mine is getting some speckles on it. No major chips or discoloration though. I don't know if it's any better or worse than other cars out there. If that is the reason why your getting rid of your Infiniti, I doubt you'll do any better with a Nissan (it's probably exactly the same paint)

DO get a Maxima if you want lots of features for the money. It's not a true luxury or sports car, but it's a pretty good mix (especially if you get the platinum)
Thanks for the info. Your answers were what I was looking for. I'm looking for a lot of features for the money without paying a luxury price. I'm looking at a 2018 SR Midnight addition because of the blackouts. A few people have mentioned the Platinum and it appears to be in the same price range. Whats the difference in SR and Platinum besides the sunroof? The SR looks fully optioned. I haven't seen a Platinum with black wheels yet or I would go that route.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 AM

As I recently re-confirmed with premium fuel, the CVT is fine - more than fine.
If you use regular (which is allowed), the CVT hunts and/or delays (i.e. highway on-ramps/merge).
Otherwise it's quick.
Tire spin is to be expected, but you've really got to mash it.
This is a family car - it's less sporty than the Q60/G35.
Re: model year - having owned a 2016 and 2019, there is more content in the mid-cycle refresh, but the quality has gone to shi--t.

Last edited by lindros2; 02-13-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Your answers were what I was looking for. I'm looking for a lot of features for the money without paying a luxury price. I'm looking at a 2018 SR Midnight addition because of the blackouts. A few people have mentioned the Platinum and it appears to be in the same price range. Whats the difference in SR and Platinum besides the sunroof? The SR looks fully optioned. I haven't seen a Platinum with black wheels yet or I would go that route.
http://www.charlieclarknissanharling...a-trim-levels/ Here ya go. I also believe the SR gets tech that helps you corner better by slightly braking the inside wheels on turns. The Platinum will give you a rear sunshade.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick question.. I’m about 5’11 and my husband is 6’3... kinda concerned about headroom with a moonroof, any advice?
Old 04-10-2020, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hilary56
Quick question.. I’m about 5’11 and my husband is 6’3... kinda concerned about headroom with a moonroof, any advice?
To Nissan's credit, the driver's seat has nearly German car height range - up and down for the front and rear of the bottom cushion, that is.
Also seatback recline is pretty good w/r/t driving position, and the thigh extender is helpful.

For 2019, the passenger seat has height adjustment, but it's only the rear of the bottom. Not particularly terrific, but better than what it was (angled so it got lower as it went back).
You can get a lower-spec car w/o the sunroof, but that was one of the selling points for me - I like the full-glass sunroof a lot.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by wild willy2
Why are you here on the Gen 8 board?
Old 04-11-2020, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Why are you here on the Gen 8 board?
I probably was here posting and making billet aluminum pedals for members when you were in diapers.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:02 AM

I probably was here posting and making billet aluminum pedals for members when you were in diapers.
Question unanswered. Just curious. BTW, I was in diapers in 1946, and that would make you how old? :-)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

• Apple car play
  • decent styling
we just picked up a 2020 SV. I would not go platinum I did the research and the platinum is a billboard and loses some of the sporty features the Maxima is known for. Including the paddle shifters. I love the SV and everything and offers. It also offers plenty of room for my two car seats that are in the back. I am 6 foot and there is plenty of room for the driver seat and my six-year-old behind me. The car was an absolute dream from the test drive off the showroom floor. I can see the CVT is very comfortable yet adequate for the fun that could be had on a daily basis. I would certainly recommend the technology they have put into these vehicles. I am certainly also looking forward to the cooled seats in the Georgia summers here.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Gunmetal2020
we just picked up a 2020 SV. I would not go platinum I did the research and the platinum is a billboard and loses some of the sporty features the Maxima is known for. Including the paddle shifters. I love the SV and everything and offers. It also offers plenty of room for my two car seats that are in the back. I am 6 foot and there is plenty of room for the driver seat and my six-year-old behind me. The car was an absolute dream from the test drive off the showroom floor. I can see the CVT is very comfortable yet adequate for the fun that could be had on a daily basis. I would certainly recommend the technology they have put into these vehicles. I am certainly also looking forward to the cooled seats in the Georgia summers here.
Does yours have a moonroof?l I’m worried about loss of headroom with one, but I would really love one!
Old 04-12-2020, 05:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Moonroof

Originally Posted by Hilary56
Does yours have a moonroof?l I’m worried about loss of headroom with one, but I would really love one!
yes the front is a sunroom that opens. The back has a complete moonroof that the shade draws back and offers a great view above but doest open. Lots of light.

I don’t think you give up headroom at all. But you may have to just go see one to get your personal feel. I personally like it.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:32 PM

I personally love the moonroof, my last 3 cars had it and it has become to me an essential feature. Granted, it gets pretty hot here in Florida and I don’t use it all the time , but I love how bright and “open” it makes the space feel in the early evening and on cloudy days

Do get the Platinum for the 360 view camera. Some SR models have it, but not all years

Old 04-13-2020, 08:41 AM

Of all the features on the Platinum (Others as of late), the 360 view cameras get used everyday by us. Had them in my 2016 and the 2019 Platinums.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:08 AM

Don’t get one

I had a 2017 thar was lemon lawed and I’m currently trying to get my replacement for that car (2018) lemon lawed as well. Both were platinum trim lines. I’ve had more issues with these cars than I ever have with any other car in my life. I actually just posted a thread about my car and it shows pictures and what I’ve been dealing with. I hope it helps you know your search. Needless to say for me, I will never own anything Nissan again in my life.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...se-issues.html
Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey319
I had a 2017 thar was lemon lawed and I’m currently trying to get my replacement for that car (2018) lemon lawed as well. Both were platinum trim lines. I’ve had more issues with these cars than I ever have with any other car in my life. I actually just posted a thread about my car and it shows pictures and what I’ve been dealing with. I hope it helps you know your search. Needless to say for me, I will never own anything Nissan again in my life.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...se-issues.html
It's too bad that Mikey319 has had so many problems with his vehicles. I, on the other hand, am the other side of the coin. Having nothing but Nissans for the last 25+ years I have had none of the issues he has had. Wife and I have had everything from Sentras to Muranos (hers) to Maximas (mine) with absolutely no major issues of any kind and that's with putting over 100,000 miles on them. The only issue I have had was the failure of the AC clutch on the 2011 Murano we had and that was at over the 100,000 mile mark. We had purchased the extended warranty to 100,000 miles so it was out of warranty but Nissan stepped up and paid for the labor and all I had to pay for was the parts.

If you do enough research you will find that ALL vehicles have issues so pick you one out, take care of it and you should have years of pleasurable driving.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 04-15-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:47 PM

I am with 2young2retire. I have owned or leased 11 Maximas since 1987 and have enjoyed each of them. In particular the Platinum level. We have also owned 3 Pathfinders and 2 Z's over the years; all without issues. Do your research and get a thorough inspection and a good warranty. I am a fan.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:39 PM

I just traded a 2016 Pathfinder SL with 70K and only reason for the trade was to get better mpg () so I went with a 20 Maxima SV and only regret was not listening to my inner self and getting an SL but I want to save funds for some of the mods (there goes the MPG)... I too am on the same side of the coin as jc53 and 2young2retire, I've had several and not one with major issue. in fact the 16 pathfinder had a rattle, I pulled into the dealership and as I was explaining to them the issue, the manger overheard and came back with 4 clips... Once he put them on, the noise went away... the clips were for the mud flap that came off during autotrain transport to FL from NJ.... On my 12 Maxima original battery died at 60K .. yea I know my bad but that was it... prior to that my other maxima and Pathfinders nothing... just normal maintenance...
Old 04-23-2020, 04:44 PM

No, they do not. They just require some getting used to if you've never experienced driving a CVT car before. And no, they are not for pre-pubescent boy racers, or for towing a 10 ton boat. But then again, that's not what I bought my Maxima for.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Me too. This is my second Maxima, 2005-2016 I owned a 2005 SL. Great car, that one too.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lionel2013
No, they do not. They just require some getting used to if you've never experienced driving a CVT car before. And no, they are not for pre-pubescent boy racers, or for towing a 10 ton boat. But then again, that's not what I bought my Maxima for.
Had 2 for 10 years, they suck.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:12 AM

Remember when I bought my 2013 Maxima, and my brother who has been an automotive technician for 30 years took it out for a spin. He came back and told me to go directly to the dealership because I had transmission issues. I'm still laughing. If they ever figure out how CVT's can pull big loads, the "enthusiasts" "conventional" transmission will go the way of the dodo bird.
I love the CVT because there are no set gear ratios, allowing the engine to operate at peak efficiency and power at all times. How could you not love that. When CVT's were introduced into Formula 1 racing they were soon banned because the money teams were using them and it decreased their lap times by up to two minutes per lap on some of the bigger circuits, which is an eternity in Formula 1. I just wish my 2017 didn't have the fake "shifts".

Last edited by 240tomax; 04-24-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:03 PM

<<
I just wish my 2017 didn't have the fake "shifts".>>

... And I wish my 2018 had 3 instead of two before you get to 60 mph from zero under hard acceleration. Matter of preference.