8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2019 Platinum Vibration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2019 Platinum Vibration Issues

I am needing help with a vibration issue. I have taken my car to two Nissan Dealerships (an “engineer” from Nissan drove my car at one dealership) and they have been unable to resolve the issue. I drive a 2019 Platinum. It has 64,000 miles.

You can feel a vibration in the steering wheel and you can see the passenger seat actually vibrating. It happens at different speeds. At approximately 71mph, the vibration goes away.

I replaced the brakes, rotors, rims and tires. They also did an alignment and road-force balanced the tires.

The brakes and rotors were from Nissan.
The tires are Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+.
The rims were purchased from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-19-Machined-Dark-Charcoal-Alloy-Wheel-Rim-for-2016-2019-Nissan-Maxima-/224104337330?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The “engineer” thought it was the bearings so both front bearings were just replaced.

Replacing the bearings got rid of about 80% of the vibration and I was told that what it’s doing now is “just a characteristic of the car.

It’s honestly driving me insane.

Any ideas or suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tkelly0313
I am needing help with a vibration issue. I have taken my car to two Nissan Dealerships (an “engineer” from Nissan drove my car at one dealership) and they have been unable to resolve the issue. I drive a 2019 Platinum. It has 64,000 miles.

You can feel a vibration in the steering wheel and you can see the passenger seat actually vibrating. It happens at different speeds. At approximately 71mph, the vibration goes away.

I replaced the brakes, rotors, rims and tires. They also did an alignment and road-force balanced the tires.

The brakes and rotors were from Nissan.
The tires are Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+.
The rims were purchased from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-19-Mach....m46890.l49286

The “engineer” thought it was the bearings so both front bearings were just replaced.

Replacing the bearings got rid of about 80% of the vibration and I was told that what it’s doing now is “just a characteristic of the car.

It’s honestly driving me insane.

Any ideas or suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!
Have them do a road force balance this should fix the issue. Also what type of tires are you using?
Old 09-22-2022, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NYoutlaw
Have them do a road force balance this should fix the issue. Also what type of tires are you using?
I have 48,000 on my car I apologize I didn't see you for your tires in there however there is a better tire for that car the Continental extreme contact so after everything you did it's not the bearings brother never was. Have them go check your alignment the camber is going to be in red have them fix that I guarantee you you're good I'm having mine done tomorrow once they do it other shops will be able to do it afterwards but my left tire was in the red camber not toe and my back which causes a shimmy at that speed with me as well after I get done tomorrow I'll come back and let you know if it works but I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to be.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NYoutlaw
I have 48,000 on my car I apologize I didn't see you for your tires in there however there is a better tire for that car the Continental extreme contact so after everything you did it's not the bearings brother never was. Have them go check your alignment the camber is going to be in red have them fix that I guarantee you you're good I'm having mine done tomorrow once they do it other shops will be able to do it afterwards but my left tire was in the red camber not toe and my back which causes a shimmy at that speed with me as well after I get done tomorrow I'll come back and let you know if it works but I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to be.
Ok so they did all that and did a road force correct. That includes sometimes even taking and moving the tire on the rim so I think you need to find somebody that can do it properly I have no shimmy perfect alignment runs like it when I got brand new do those things but definitely get those other tires and then do that.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:30 AM

IMPORTANT - did you buy this car new? Or used?
>>> if used, was it in an accident (see: CarFax and others, but this isn't 100%)? Was it purchased from a Nissan dealer?
>>> sounds like it could be the front sub-assembly, or a harmonic wave problem
Did you replace the Yokohama with the same tires? or different tires?
Are the wheels GENUINE? Or exact replica knock-offs? (these look like knockoffs - what happened to the original wheels?)
Have you put wheels/tires from ANOTHER Nissan Maxima (genuine) on your car?

For comparison, I have a 2019 Maxima Platinum (Reserve) - as does @robtroxel . I've (thankfully) had zero vibration/balance issues, even after replacing all four tires (from Goodyear Eagle Touring >> Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+. I've lost 15% gas mileage, but zero vibration at all speeds.
Note that I have had issues on many other cars. Mostly they are upon BRAKING (this is an issue on every Honda I've owned). My Acura TL's - and BMW 5-series' - had issues with "flat-spotting", which caused vibration. I could never solve the Acura TL, even on a high-speed road balance machine - only a few places around me had those (RoadForce).
Old 09-26-2022, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
IMPORTANT - did you buy this car new? Or used?
>>> if used, was it in an accident (see: CarFax and others, but this isn't 100%)? Was it purchased from a Nissan dealer?
>>> sounds like it could be the front sub-assembly, or a harmonic wave problem
Did you replace the Yokohama with the same tires? or different tires?
Are the wheels GENUINE? Or exact replica knock-offs? (these look like knockoffs - what happened to the original wheels?)
Have you put wheels/tires from ANOTHER Nissan Maxima (genuine) on your car?

For comparison, I have a 2019 Maxima Platinum (Reserve) - as does @robtroxel . I've (thankfully) had zero vibration/balance issues, even after replacing all four tires (from Goodyear Eagle Touring >> Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+. I've lost 15% gas mileage, but zero vibration at all speeds.
Note that I have had issues on many other cars. Mostly they are upon BRAKING (this is an issue on every Honda I've owned). My Acura TL's - and BMW 5-series' - had issues with "flat-spotting", which caused vibration. I could never solve the Acura TL, even on a high-speed road balance machine - only a few places around me had those (RoadForce).
You know this post is over a year old right?
Old 09-26-2022, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
You know this post is over a year old right?
no I'm dumb - sorry
Old 09-27-2022, 06:35 AM

One thing for sure is that vibration problems can show up for a myriad of reasons... Sometimes the 1st owners just trade the car away after curb encounters or accidents rather than get it fixed. Still a relevant subject today.