All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

do you agree with jim wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 06:30 PM

do you agree with jim wolf?

called up and spoke to ben today, i inquired about running a N/A program for a setup of 370cc injectors, 255 fuel pump, 300zx maf, and all the basic uprgrades (y pipe etc...)
he told me that it is useless to run this setup N/A because there will be no gains. correct me if i'm wrong but i was thinking more fuel more air would equal more horsepower? not a lot, but some. thanks for your input.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the stock 3.5 270cc injectors with a 3.5, headers, 2.5", CAI, UPD, no PS/AC and soon bigtime ignition timing advance and the car runs very well. For N/A it is overkill IMO. I heard the 270cc injectors are good for 270whp, so unless you've got the most powerful Naturally aspirated maxima ever it is pointless.

The 00-01 injectors are 290cc and will hold a little more, if that can help you to sleep well at night, but I still think it's overkill.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:17 PM

It is useless to run that setup on a NA motor. The only reason to run those injectors is if you are maxing out the stock ones, also the stock maf is the same size as the Z32 maf so no gain there.

Originally Posted by MAX'D OUT CLUB
called up and spoke to ben today, i inquired about running a N/A program for a setup of 370cc injectors, 255 fuel pump, 300zx maf, and all the basic uprgrades (y pipe etc...)
he told me that it is useless to run this setup N/A because there will be no gains. correct me if i'm wrong but i was thinking more fuel more air would equal more horsepower? not a lot, but some. thanks for your input.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:20 PM

well, i should have inputted that boost is definitely coming, i'm about 80% there, but a recent investment option has taken over the boosted thing for the short-term future. as far as asking about running the before mentioned setup on a n/a car, that was due to my ecu being programmed as we speak for the injectors, maf and fuel pump, but i will probably receive it before boost is in my car and wanted to know if it would be beneficial running it on a n/a vehicle. thanks for the info though, it is obvious to me now that it would not be.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:30 AM

well, i should have inputted that boost is definitely coming, i'm about 80% there, but a recent investment option has taken over the boosted thing for the short-term future. as far as asking about running the before mentioned setup on a n/a car, that was due to my ecu being programmed as we speak for the injectors, maf and fuel pump, but i will probably receive it before boost is in my car and wanted to know if it would be beneficial running it on a n/a vehicle. thanks for the info though, it is obvious to me now that it would not be.

if that is the case you should wait until your boosted to get the ECU or get the N/A program now and send in for the boosted program later.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:22 AM

You're getting the right answers, but I just wanted to add that the fundamental problem that has to be overcome when trying to make more power is getting more air into the engine (if we leave the compression ratio alone, and if we stick to gasoline as the fuel). Fuel delivery becomes an issue only after we have done something to significantly increase oxidizer delivery, whether through forced induction or nitrous.

Incidentally, this is why fuels with a lower stoichiometric ratio are used by some drag racing people. A fuel such as methanol has a stoichiometric ratio of 6.4:1, so it takes less than half the mass of air to completely react with methanol than with gasoline. You can easily pump twice as much fuel into an engine (fuel being essentially incompressible), so even with the lower heating value of methanol you come out significantly ahead in power production, for the same amount of air going into the engine.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 AM

In most cases, it's also useless to talk to Ben about anything.....hehe....

Jeremy
Old 06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Seems like we agree with Jim Wolf .. wouldn't you say ...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 AM

I wasn't referring to this situation. Like I said, 'in general'.....maybe he was promoted from ignorant secretary and given some real automotive training. He's about as knowledgeable as the average Autozone employee from my experience with him....

Jeremy
Old 06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Fundamental mistake. You can add all the fuel you want, it won't make any more power. Will actually lose power if the ratios are wrong.

Find ways to add more AIR, then adjust the fuel to get the correct a/f ratio. If making power was as simple as adding fuel, it would very,very easy just to ramp up the fuel pressure. But it's not.

. correct me if i'm wrong but i was thinking more fuel more air would equal more horsepower? not a lot, but some. thanks for your input.