All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VQ35DE Block with VQ30 Heads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well because my view of the org is to share information and make everyone realize different setups and methods. If you believe there is a better way with VQ30 heads then please share. Hell if you are right then why should I bother with 35 heads.

BUT then again. Provided that nismo just said that they flow better and have a lower compression (better for FI) ... you must have something cooked up that is very dirty .
Old 01-07-2006, 03:13 PM

I am still amazed that such a huge bump in compression didn't net more power using the VQ30 heads...those VQ35 heads must really flow better...I guess someone need to port and polish and swaintech those VQ30 heads then it would rock...

perhaps the compression is so high then using race gas would help?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

From what Ive read if you had the choice of using better heads, higher static compression, or timing advance to make power. You would want to go with the better cylinder heads first. Better flow and better detonation resistance will do alot better than the other two. Then you can bump up the compression ratio, because higher static compression (with detonation free operation) is a more efficent way of making power than advancing the timing.

With advancing timing your causing the start of combustion to occur further ahead from TDC. So when the compressing piston and combustion flame meet before TDC the two forces will oppose each other. This will make the engine mechanically less efficent. This is why you have to be careful with timing advance, to much and the engine will lose power. However when detonation occurs timing advance can be easily scaled back unlike higher compression pistons.

This is why we can make some pretty decent gains with timing advance and running 93 octane pump gas. Nissan like alot of other auto makers left some head room for all those who like to run 87 octane.

However I would wager that there is more power to be had if we were to run higher static compression with VQ35 heads in a 4th gen VQ35 swap. The 4th gen ECU has less timing advance and with a constant diet of 93 octane a compression ratio of 11:1~12:1 maybe possible.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:49 PM

true...with the VQ30 heads....ending up with an 11.3:1 CR would result in not being able to advance timing nearly at all with even premium gas...it would also necessitate the use of premium grade at all times...which I have no problem with as I do that anyway...but I have to wonder what a port and polished, cammed VQ30 with race gas and timing advance (swaintech'd so you could put some more timing advance in) with a raised limiter and full exhaust/intake and PF TB would do with the 3.5L longblock attached...! revving to 8K...with the VK45 titanium valves/valve springs would sound like...
Old 01-08-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
true...with the VQ30 heads....ending up with an 11.3:1 CR would result in not being able to advance timing nearly at all with even premium gas...it would also necessitate the use of premium grade at all times...which I have no problem with as I do that anyway...but I have to wonder what a port and polished, cammed VQ30 with race gas and timing advance (swaintech'd so you could put some more timing advance in) with a raised limiter and full exhaust/intake and PF TB would do with the 3.5L longblock attached...! revving to 8K...with the VK45 titanium valves/valve springs would sound like...
One could easily make 270+WHP on the 3.5 with a better IM, cams, a good piggyback tune, and bolt-ons. Don't see why you'd waste time on 3.0 heads with that kind of potential.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

You would be better off with VQ35 heads and higher static compression ratio. If Tilley's dynos show anything its that the VQ30 heads are crap compared to the VQ35 heads.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Hoooper

the vq35 heads are newer technology and therefore are likely to be much better. If you have the money to put all that stuff in the vq30 heads, why not put it in the better vq35 heads? better heads are better heads, as long as you put the same stuff in each one the vq35 heads will make more power.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:20 PM

I guess he's still hung up on the high compression thing when the dyno evidence we have says the 3.5 heads make more power regardless of the lower static compression ratio and supposedly "crappy" stock 2k2 VI design.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Hoooper

maybe hell come around...

Old 01-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I will in feb have a dyno of my car with stock ecu,stock headers and open 00 vi.its a parting gift for my max.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by krismax
I will in feb have a dyno of my car with stock ecu,stock headers and open 00 vi.its a parting gift for my max.
Where's she going, or are you just getting her a new body, and keeping the goodies under the hood?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:38 AM

I did come around....I can certainly can appreciate how much better the VQ35 heads flow over the vq30 ones...but I just like the idea of high compression, high revving, all NA powerplant...(but I know what your going to say, and I'm not a honda guy at all! and never have been and never will be!), I would love to hear the sound of the VQ up high and still have power up there...something high compression allows you to do in general with good cams of course