All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Cold Start saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Hella internets

Cold Start saga continues

Got the VI done, got it running better, and re routed most of my vacume lines to clean up the install.

Now, for some reason, my cold start is ALL screwed up. If it starts and stays running the idle is jumpy (~450-700 Rpms moves around). After it warms up, it idles O.K. around 700 without any fluctuating.

What i want to fix is the cold start! It used to chill at 1600 RPMs till it warmed up, now i have to sometimes give it some gas when i first start it, so that it can warm up enough to not stall on my a$$..?!

I heard alota people have had this problem, and i really want to figure this out once and for all...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Hella internets

I believe this has something to do with the fast idle cam thats activated by the coolant line that runs thru the TB. I am using the 5th gen TB so i no longer have this.

How can I make the 5th gen TB's fast idle cam activate like it used to on the 4th gen TB?

I am assuming this, mostly because i had to bypass the coolant lines. I dont have any other idea what could be causing this problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Kevlo for President

Adjust TPS.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Hella internets

I adjusted the TPS, its at like 489-490~ Isnt that within spec (500 ohms) Or does it have to be RIGHT AT 500 or it will do what its doing now?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Hella internets

actually i just checked it, COLD its set at like 501 ohms.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Kevlo for President

Checking to see if TPS is working and adjusting it are two different things.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Hella internets

to adjust it you have to set it to the proper ohms. wich in turn would tell u if its working properly right? I just followed the write-up on the 4th gen stickies...
Old 11-13-2005, 05:31 AM

Mine does the same thing XeroX, but I have no IACV, but it still jumps around into the computer goes out of rich mode or w/e it is, once it passes the 1st little line the idle will steady off and quit bouncing...

Im thinking its the injectors or something.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:04 AM

i also have the cold start problem when i start it up on a cold day i have to hold the gas for like 20seconds to get warm then its fine i did the 3.5 in my 97 i have a pthfinder throttlebody how do i fix this?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Hella internets

I was playing around with the swirl valves yesterday, cause i left em in the LIM, and when i close em, the idle seams to level out and be ALOT smoother. So im guessing these swirl valves work as a choke of some sort?

Im starting to think that the VI is much more efficient than the USIM (duh) but the 4g ecu doesnt know what to do with all that extra air. Any thoughts on this?

Might just have to get the new Greddy emanage to solve my problem
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Kevlo for President

Mine runs just fine. I have the REAL lower IM--early 00 lower w/o swirl vavles
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did u fix ur small *** IACV hose?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by blazingchimp
did u fix ur small *** IACV hose?
yea i did, haha...
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 AM

I was wondering if somone could help me on my problem with a cold start.
I got my car about two months ago it's a 90'.
It started running rough and I had the mass airflow sensor replaced.
After the shop replaced it, it dies unless I put the gas on.
How can a new M/A sensor make my car not start on cold start?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM

wrong place bro, try posting in the 3rd gen forum.
this post is for the cold start issue on a 00vi manifold.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 PM

hey Xerox,
I have the same problem, and it is super annoying. I think I remeber someone making and selling a custom adpater so we could use the fourth gen throttle body. Do you mind posting some upclose pics of your install so I can compare it to mine.

Also, are you runnning with your power valve. I took mine out cause I heard they break after awhile???

thanks man
Old 11-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by Mizarc96
hey Xerox,
I have the same problem, and it is super annoying. I think I remeber someone making and selling a custom adpater so we could use the fourth gen throttle body. Do you mind posting some upclose pics of your install so I can compare it to mine.

Also, are you runnning with your power valve. I took mine out cause I heard they break after awhile???

thanks man
Power valve? what do you mean?

yEs, i can send some upclose pics to you. Give me some time however, i have been really busy.

I really dont think the 4th gen TB is why we are experiencing this problem. I encountered this problem before i even put the VI on. Now the problem is somewhat worse.

The idling issue i have solved, it starts and idles almost perfectly. The only problem i have now is my cold start does not want to engage. I wish someone could help us out with this problem. it must be something simple....or something we have overlooked
Old 12-05-2005, 09:25 AM
I like Maximas

Xerox you're having a cold start issue on the 5th gen TB???
i understand why you would have it on the PF but not on the 5th gen or the DE.

check to see that the little vaccum actuator on top of the 5th gen TB is working
when the engine is cold it pushes down on the throttle cable holder that slightly opens the tb, the 4th gen tb has it built into the coolant flow underneath the TB, so when the colant gets warm it disengages. the 5th gen uses cold air to activate it, when the air gets warmer the actuator pulls the moving pin back to closed and it closes the throttle body so it sits on the idle stopper.

the PF Tb however has no actuator to slightly open the throttle during start, it uses the iacv to control more/less airflow during start. that is the only reason why the PF swappers should have cold start problems. Xerox if you can post a pic of your TB, or send it to me i'll point out where that actuator is so you can check (it sits right on top of the TB, secured by two screws on top and one on the side with a thin 3mm? hose going to the actuator and the small nipple on the tb) and check that is goes to the throttle cable holder, your problem can be there

i'm using your sig pic to demontrate:

if you look above the throttle body there is a cylindrical activator that sits a little to the left of the TB right above the throttle/cruise control cables.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Hella internets

Yes, i have thought this to be the culprit, it seams to not work i guess. I was debating whether or not i should mess with the little adjustment screw On the activator, but the problem is that i dont think it has enough "play" to adjust the length that i need it to go wich is the wierdest part.

Also, i think that the 5th gen TB actually has coolant that runs to activate this cylinder thing, if you look on the 5th G IACV there are ports that are seperate from the air flow that go up into the TB, and i think wait a minute....i just had a preminision....maybe air flow is going into this chamber where coolant goes from the IACV?! I made a custom little blocker plate but i may not have sealed it completely from the coolant ports that may activate this switch hense the sucking pullint the cylinder plunger BACK instead of out?

Hmm, But regardless i dont think its the air temp that sets this thing off, i believe its coolant just like on the 4th gen, just a different design. Im confused...sigh....
Old 12-06-2005, 02:56 PM

I raised my idle so now when I cold start it I only have to tap the gas once to keep it from stalling....Its much much better

Xerox, The power valve sits in the 00VI. its closed when the revs are low and opens at about 4k to allow the intake air to flow in to the larger chamber creating more intake volume hence more highend power. I was told that the cup inside the acuator wears out and breaks and then the thing wont open( or stays half open half closed) so you pretty much a 4th gen IM again. and that would be gay.....For this reason I took mine out and sealed the hole with a CF panel. but by doing THIS I think I loss some low end. I was just wondering what you did