All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Fuel damper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Hella internets

Fuel damper?

I noticed when i installed my VI that when i was putting on the 5th gen fuel rails/injectors, that there was that fuel damper on the fuel line (looks just like the FPR accross from it). Most people have used this adaptor http://www.sx7r.com/fuelfitting.htm.

I am currently using the 5th gen rail WITH the damper on there. Would this cause a problem? I went ahead and ordered the adaptor from that above site, but i dont know if i really need it...i just noticed that was what everyone else was using...I am experiencing a slight hesitation and loss of low end torque (seam like 2 different problems) but i think the loss of lowend is due to me not doing the jb weld mod to the VIAS yet....

Anyone know what the possible drawbacks are if you were to use the damper instead of the adaptor?

thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 11:04 AM

im using a damper and its running fine, no loss of lowend power or anything.

Make sure you have everything installed correctly, and btw, the DE-K injectors will slow joo down without tuning..

-s0ber
Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

the damper takes the place of the inline fuel filter. 4th gens have a filter, 5th gens dont.
does it really help on a 4th gen swap? it seems like it wouldnt be needed.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK, it's not "needed" on the 4th gen, and can either used as intended (and connected to a vacuum source) or be replaced with a plain hose adapter from http://www.sx7r.com/fuelfitting.htm.
HOWEVER, another aspect of this question is whether that damper can be left as installed but without any vacuum hose hooked up to it?? In other words, what does the vacuum do functionally in regard to restricting the fuel flow (to any meaningful degree)? Anyone know (that's in "actually" know, as opposed to just guessing)?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Curt
OK, it's not "needed" on the 4th gen, and can either used as intended (and connected to a vacuum source) or be replaced with a plain hose adapter from http://www.sx7r.com/fuelfitting.htm.
HOWEVER, another aspect of this question is whether that damper can be left as installed but without any vacuum hose hooked up to it?? In other words, what does the vacuum do functionally in regard to restricting the fuel flow (to any meaningful degree)? Anyone know (that's in "actually" know, as opposed to just guessing)?
Where did you see a fuel damper with a vacuum hose attached?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Kevlo for President

The 00-01 Fuel damper looks just like the FPR and has an vaccum input.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:03 PM

Ok, there is no vacuum connection on the 02-03's, so I have never seen one.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
Ok, there is no vacuum connection on the 02-03's, so I have never seen one.
The discussion here is about putting an 00VI intake system, including the DE-K fuel rail/FPR/damper/etc., onto a 4th gern Maxima. Can we stay on the subject???
Old 12-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Kevlo for President

The discussion here is about putting an 00VI intake system, including the DE-K fuel rail/FPR/damper/etc., onto a 4th gern Maxima. Can we stay on the subjuct???

Yes we can stay on the SUBJECT. Calm down.

It works well.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Hella internets

lol, i already ordered it i was just wondering if it could cause any "side effects" lol

Thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 10:00 PM

I have mine hooked up, but without a vacuum source, I noticed no difference from vacuum or not.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by s0ber
I have mine hooked up, but without a vacuum source, I noticed no difference from vacuum or not.
I was mostly asking if anyone knew WHAT could be the result of using the damper instead of the adaptor. NOT if it works. I am running the install with the damper currently so i know it works.

I am just experiencing a slight low end torque loss, i have not yet checked the power valves, as i think they may be stuck open or partially open, becuase my top end power seams to be slightly improved. Other than the power valves, I wanted to know if the damper could cause a slight loss of power, nothing significant i guess could result, but i wanted to make sure from someone who maybe has tried the two?

I also just realized the other day that i forgot to run power to the left pin on the VIAS when i wired up my RPM switch so this may be attributing to my loss as well...

The RPM signal is fine, but i have no power to turn the valves.... sigh hahaha (my fault)

But back to the topic . Maybe you guys could just help me understand what exactly this "fuel damper" actually does, and i could give myself an explanation of what it could possibly attribute to...(problem wise)
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM

All the damper does is smooth out variations in pressure or pulses caused by the fuel pump and by the opening and closing of the fuel injectors. It is just a simple rubber diaphram backed by a spring and when a pulse occurs it is absorbed by the diaphram and then the spring pushes the diaphram back to its normal position. Basically a hydraulic shock absorber.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
SomePsychoGuy

00-01 have a vaccum source since it has a rising rate fuel pressure.

02-03 have a constant fuel pressure and thus don't need to adjust the "shock stiffness" as the pressure rises.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Hella internets

So basically, we dont need it. Im just wondering why these adaptors were made, if this were the case. I had the priviledge of having a spare dek motor to take anything i needed for this VI install, did most of you that peiced together a kit NOT get the fuel damper? therefore having to get this adaptor?

Im just really confused as to why these were even made if we can use the fuel damper offa the 5th gen Fuel rail...