All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

MEVI installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MEVI installation

I did a search and found 2 sites for MEVI installation but neither worked. Does anybody know of another site for installation and also installation kit needed, besides the mevi itself? Sorry guys I know i might get flamed for this, and I m ready for it, but i really want to have this information.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:58 AM

The hardware installation of the MEVI kit itself is a piece of cake, and no more complicated than it would be to remove and then reinstalling your upper intake manifold. Two things to keep in mind, though. First, you ought to make sure that the butterfly screws have been LocTited or in some other way made certain that they don't come loose and get swallowed into the engine. Second, without a re-programming of your ECU you're going to have a power drop-off in the mid-RPM range (where you use it the most). Over 5000 RPM you'll see the gain, but you'll run out of RPM's pretty quickly without a raised RPM limit.
The time-consuming part of the MEVI setup is in acquiring, installing and then setting up the peripherals needed for actuation. You'll need an RPM switch, a vacuum solenoid switch and a vacuum canister, along with some vacuum hose and wire. I'd also recommend using a relay in the setup.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:11 AM

thanks for the kind response. i have read that the installation is quite easy. do you know of a site that gives a very detailed or close to very detailed as possible instruction on how to install the mevi kit. i saw a site on it actually while searching last night and was wondering if there is another website or anything else. also, i ve read that jwt does not make ecu s for 99. do you know if they make them now or if there is another way of doing it? Thank you
Old 02-26-2006, 12:21 PM

They do not make them, but some orgers have been able to use them on 99s with just a few minor modifications to the ecu wires I believe...
Old 02-26-2006, 02:54 PM

I checked and the links with the installs are down, but its really easy, just watch out for the coolant line on the back, easy to take off once you have the manifold loose. Basically just start taking things off your current manifold and keep track of what went where and replace in backwords order.

If you check, there is an ecu for sale for 99's in the 4th gen classifieds right now
Old 02-26-2006, 02:59 PM

my quarrel isnt with the mevi itself, the actual manifold. my problem is with the installation kit per say. the other few things besides the manifold.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:27 PM

where did you see the ecu for sale, motocross.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 PM

well it was here, but i guess it sold, i missed that, you could try pm'ing him about getting one done by jwt maybe?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=439785

When I was going to install mine, i was kinda nervous, but it is actually really easy.

I'll try and copy down some of the directions I had when I was installing mine Credit goes to whoever wrote it first, its a bit compressed with just the important things.

1. You want to unplug all connections that are on top of the manifold and then pull that harness out of the way, you'll need to break a couple of zip ties, no big deal though

2. unhook throttle and cruise cables and their harnesses.

3. unhook the pcv where it attaches to manifold. you can then mount it on the mevi if you want at this point

4. remove the 4 bolts on the Tb, either have a spare gasket on hand or handle the current one with care, as it is very fragile.

5. loosen and remove the 3 bolts for the iacv

6. take out the two bolts holding on the egr guide tube which should now be visible with iacv removed

7. remove rear manifold retaining bolts, located on each side of the manifold, you will need to feel for them as they are almost impossible to see, they are 12mm bolts, easiest to use a 1/4" ratchet for these, if you look at your mevi, you can see where the bolts are on that for comparison to USIM

I believe this picture is looking at engine with tb removed, you can kind of see where one of the bolts is, by the egr, sorry about the blurryness

8. remove all the front bolts along the bottom of the manifold.

9. coolant hoses - they are located right below the egr guide tube, don't worry, almost no coolant will leak out of these hoses. What I did, is rotate teh manifold around to get access to the clamps, take off clamps and then pry coolant hoses off with a flat tipped screw driver, just be patient with these.

10. mevi install - oposite order of removal. I also removed the round circular thing on the firewall, it has a vacuum line going into it, you see what i mean during the install, it gets in the way taking the actual manifold off, so its pretty easy to take it off, just a couple bolts and disconnect the vacuum line

It sounds alot harder than it actually is. Once you start, it is pretty straighforward on what needs to be removed.

if I missed anything, let me know
Old 02-27-2006, 12:07 PM

re: MEVI

I was directed to this site by a fellow .org member who has installed a MEVI on his car. I am reading and taking notes on the MEVI install...forgive me for jumping into y'alls thread but I noted with interest the comment about a stock ECU use with a MEVI application. Does anyone know what Nissan did as an (OEM) ECU application (to get around the mid RPM "bog"?/power loss)with the Maximas that they sold overseas with the MEVI as standard equipment...wouldn't there HAVE to be a stock part ## for the ECU used in MEVI-equipped production; they couldn't have reprogrammed every OEM(non-MEVI) ECU could they??? I'm a little leery about the use of a radical reprogrammed JWT ECU... suck gas/ ruin daily drivablity pluses of our stock engines just to gain potential power when "pushed"?? If anyone has any input on how to get around sending our stock ECU's to JWT and waiting...and paying big$$ please PM me!!!! By the way I have a 96SE 5 speed. THANKS!!! Doug
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM

Oversea's maximas had different ecu's altogether with different tunning. I believe they had a claimed 217hp or something like that stock.

I wouldn't worry too much about a Jwt ecu though. They seem to have gotten them down for NA applications, most of what I've seen are boosted guys having problems with their ecus.

If you're talking about wanting the extended redilne, you could wait and see what happens with the ecu jclaw is looking into, or get an EU.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM

thanks motocross for the very helpful information. but what about the hardware, ie the switch and the other few things besides the mevi itself. thats what im really curious about. thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by domlcardio
..... but what about the hardware, ie the switch and the other few things besides the mevi itself......
Give me your email address and I'll send you a wiring diagram of the electrical side using a Summit RPM switch. For the vacuum, side. youy'll need to "Tee" off of the vacuum line going to the FPR and take it to a vacuum canister (I got one from NAPA) to serve as a vacuum reservoir. From the vacuum canister there's a vacuum line to a Vacuum Solenoid Switch (or VSS, also many different sources), which is activated by electrical signal from the RPM switch. Once activated, the VSS has a vacuum line to the MEVI actuator that opens it up.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM

Wiring will be different with different switches. I have a harlan and it still works and is pretty easy to install.
rpm source:
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthr...ight=tam+screw
as for power and ground curt will probably be telling you. I wired it into the ground of the cigarette lighter/12v power source in the cabin. So I could watch the switch to make sure its working.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by motocross416
Oversea's maximas had different ecu's altogether with different tunning. I believe they had a claimed 217hp or something like that stock.

I wouldn't worry too much about a Jwt ecu though. They seem to have gotten them down for NA applications, most of what I've seen are boosted guys having problems with their ecus.

If you're talking about wanting the extended redilne, you could wait and see what happens with the ecu jclaw is looking into, or get an EU.
You are positive that Oversea's Maxi's (w/MEVI) had different OEM ECU installed?? Do you have a part ## for this different ECU?? Thanks! Doug
Old 02-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by packerZ
You are positive that Oversea's Maxi's (w/MEVI) had different OEM ECU installed?? Do you have a part ## for this different ECU?? Thanks! Doug
I don't think its possible to just swap in an ecu from an overseas maxima as everybody would be doing that if we could.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by motocross416
I don't think its possible to just swap in an ecu from an overseas maxima as everybody would be doing that if we could.
I sorta figured as much...too easy! But it does lead me to wonder what the factory actually did for these cars on a production line. Anybody know??
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM

so what should one do with the ecu in a 99 to compensate for loss in low end power and raise the limiter?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 AM

I would call jwt about that, I believe they can rewire the 95-96 ecus to use now, or you would need to get the EU to raise the rev and advance the timing