All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Just contacted SportCompactCar...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I've said this in other posts:

Someone drop an AEBS stroker kit in their Max, put up about 400hp, 400 lb/ft torque and will surely make it to Modified Mag.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DandyMax
As for the FWD problems, a lot of that can be worked around with upgraded suspension setups.
Very true and it's a shame that most FWD guys are lazy about this. You know, they just throw lots of power at it, get unproperly sized slicks for their wheel width (and setup), and expect it to hook.

However, in a street car, FWD cars hit a wall somewhere in the high 11's. By street car I mean full interior/no wheelie bars. Any faster than that and the MPH gets ridiculous for the ET. Well setup RWD cars regularly pull 11.0's at less than 120 mph. AWD cars do pretty good until mid-high 10's or so.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Again, you're going to fault SCC for putting Supras in their mag??? That does not make sense.

And you honestly believe the mag will sell more if they featured more Maximas than Supras??? You are officially placed in the nut category.
Krismax's point is that a maxima running 12.50's NA while looking 100% stock and having very mild engine modifications is WAY more original and interesting than just another 450RWHP supra that can't hookup and still runs 12's. I HATE dyno queens.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by JClaw
Krismax's point is that a maxima running 12.50's NA while looking 100% stock and having very mild engine modifications is WAY more original and interesting than just another 450RWHP supra that can't hookup and still runs 12's. I HATE dyno queens.
Very mild engine modifications??? yeah right
Old 09-06-2006, 06:34 AM
aka The Doom Ship

You guys must be reading the magazines too often. A 450rwhp Supra is not ordinary or common. Furthermore 450rwhp can be achieved with the stock block. Can't say that for any VQ engine.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:49 AM

Hater. Case closed.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Hater. Case closed.
Hater?

What do you have that I would hate on you? You need to check the 6th Gen forum about me. I have nothing to hate on you about.

Furthermore, I'm not the hater type, I give props when props are due. I guess SCC feels the same way.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 AM

its ok tho, guess better for you that everyone out there wont know what you've got under the hood...

O/T: Wonder if MardiGrasMax would be able to make it in there.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
3.5 in the works

...running 12.50's NA while looking 100% stock...
I don't know about 100% stock... not from close up anyways. Might fool people from farther away though.

...Furthermore 450rwhp can be achieved with the stock block. Can't say that for any VQ engine...
Gotta disagree. 450whp is cake on a stock VQ35 block if it's done right.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I don't know about 100% stock... not from close up anyways. Might fool people from farther away though.

Gotta disagree. 450whp is cake on a stock VQ35 block if it's done right.
Stock internals? nope.

Supra, yes.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 AM
3.5 in the works

No one said anything about internals. Only the word block was mentioned.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 AM
3.5 in the works

Very true and it's a shame that most FWD guys are lazy about this. You know, they just throw lots of power at it, get unproperly sized slicks for their wheel width (and setup), and expect it to hook.

However, in a street car, FWD cars hit a wall somewhere in the high 11's. By street car I mean full interior/no wheelie bars. Any faster than that and the MPH gets ridiculous for the ET. Well setup RWD cars regularly pull 11.0's at less than 120 mph. AWD cars do pretty good until mid-high 10's or so.
Once my Max hits 11's I'll be moving to something RWD. Just not sure what platform yet.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:22 AM
aka The Doom Ship

No one said anything about internals. Only the word block was mentioned.

True true.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

You guys must be reading the magazines too often. A 450rwhp Supra is not ordinary or common. Furthermore 450rwhp can be achieved with the stock block. Can't say that for any VQ engine.
http://www.dynomagic.com/

I'll take if you never heard of Hal's turbo max. Stock internals, 476whp, 505tq. Also, the 1st and 2nd fastest 350z's in the world still have the stock vq35 bottom end.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Very mild engine modifications??? yeah right
Jime hit 12.5 with stock auto tranny, stock internals, other than some cams, and his car looks pretty much like a stock 95. If that's not mild, I don't know what is.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:55 AM
3.5 in the works

To be fair, you can't just consider the engine and say oh it's worth 12.5. Doing that I can understand why AllBlackMax would be skeptical of it.

Yes the engine is mild but the rest isn't. I'm not taking anything away from Jime at all but call a spade a spade. You and I both know the car is FAR from stock, even if it mostly looks that way from the outside. Hell, my car looks fairly stock also from the outside but I can't truly say it's stock and not be stretching it a bit.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

To be fair, you can't just consider the engine and say oh it's worth 12.5. Doing that I can understand why AllBlackMax would be skeptical of it.

Yes the engine is mild but the rest isn't. I'm not taking anything away from Jime at all but call a spade a spade. You and I both know the car is FAR from stock, even if it mostly looks that way from the outside. Hell, my car looks fairly stock also from the outside but I can't truly say it's stock and not be stretching it a bit.
i never said the engine was the only mod, he said mild engine modification, and that's exactly what jime has. On top of other things. Just as my car is, I think the dash is the only original part I have left in my car. I know the engine can push the 4th gen into the 12's if done right, and I have yet to see any 4door accord do that with any swap - all motor.

If it looks stock from the outside, it's a sleeper. And there's ALWAYS a market for people that want their cars to be sleepers.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Once my Max hits 11's I'll be moving to something RWD.
Yeah that was once my goal but I couldn't bring myself to keep pouring cash into it while damn well knowing I wasn't gonna keep it long.

Just not sure what platform yet.
Oh please you already have the engine... You can't let all that E-U elbow grease go to waste just because you're changing the drivetrain layout.

I'll keep you updated throughout next year when the car is actually presentable. The S chassis is one of the most efficient RWD platforms available (i.e; light and strong).
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge
Sorry they weren't more receptive to it man, seems like a good article idea to me. I let my subscription run out a while back and just threw out all of my old issues (I had tons) yesterday. I finally grew out of the whole magazine buying phase. I realize that if I want to know about something I can find it all online anyway.

Glad you have a good attitude about it though.

Fred
I find this hilarious Fred. A month after they do an article on your car you slap them in the face. I hope they read this.

More to the point, if its not a Honda and doesn't have a R or A somewhere in the drivetrain acronym it ain't goin in the mags these days. Besides the magazine is Sport Compact Car not "Midsize Sport Sedan."
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Broaner
I find this hilarious Fred. A month after they do an article on your car you slap them in the face. I hope they read this.
Yeah... owned.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
brotherhood of tq

My question is always what does it do in the 1/4.. ie how quick is it. HP alone isn't everthing.

As for the FWD problems, a lot of that can be worked around with upgraded suspension setups.
hp is what gets you on the pages of mags...

if freddy made a 270-300whp maxima n/a using the vq swap then i am sure they might care some more. and to be honest putting in a motor that is from the same engine code family isnt that impressive. it's only impressive to us due to the problems nissan decided to add into making this a drop in swap.

i am quite sure if someone put a vq35 with freddys mods into a car that never had a vq oem then it would get lots of press. ls? swaps minus the ls7 isnt that big in the gm world and wont get press but u drop a ls? into a 240 and every mag around the world would call you

my 2cents
Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 AM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by krismax
no your missing the point its a sport COMPACT CAR mag a 3600lb supra doesnt fit that .

they would sell more mags having a maxima in there than a supra much more maximas i just dont get them having a few accords in there .

I think whats needed is a 12.5 NA max full interior
more maximas yes....but more people willing to spend money on things supra related
Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
brotherhood of tq

if both are on street tires the supra would hook better then a 450fwhp maxima.

and not to take anything away from anyones car but lots of our very fast maxima times come form people with stock exteriors with gutted cars on slicks or something along those lines. gutted cars aren't very picture friendly, which is very important to a magazine.

it's kinda like with chicks. i'm sure we all know some chicks that are insane in bed and perform like champs but lack what it takes to be on the cover of a mag. what i am trying to say is that people love eye candy regardless if it is the best performer
Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 AM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by tavarish
http://www.dynomagic.com/

I'll take if you never heard of Hal's turbo max. Stock internals, 476whp, 505tq. Also, the 1st and 2nd fastest 350z's in the world still have the stock vq35 bottom end.
hal also damaged more motors then many people have seen in person getting to put down that much power

and as far as bottom ends go many other motors will put ours to shame
Old 09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
3.5 in the works

Oh please you already have the engine... You can't let all that E-U elbow grease go to waste just because you're changing the drivetrain layout.

I'll keep you updated throughout next year when the car is actually presentable. The S chassis is one of the most efficient RWD platforms available (i.e; light and strong).
Please do keep me updated...

But as for the Max, it's not going to be sold/dumped. When I said move on to RWD I didn't mean getting rid of the Max. She'll just be part of the stable.

i never said the engine was the only mod, he said mild engine modification, and that's exactly what jime has. On top of other things. Just as my car is, I think the dash is the only original part I have left in my car. I know the engine can push the 4th gen into the 12's if done right, and I have yet to see any 4door accord do that with any swap - all motor.

If it looks stock from the outside, it's a sleeper. And there's ALWAYS a market for people that want their cars to be sleepers.
I did not mean you would have considered it the only factor, that response was not really for your benefit although I quoted you. I am not singling out anyone; it's just that in my experience many people tend to overlook significant, but less obvoius, things and I was only pointing that out. I agree - a sleeper is always fun to have.

Originally Posted by liquidvenom
That may be so, but then again, I don't care too much since I'm not trying to get in a mag right now. haha.

Originally Posted by liquidvenom
and not to take anything away from anyones car but lots of our very fast maxima times come form people with stock exteriors with gutted cars on slicks or something along those lines. gutted cars aren't very picture friendly, which is very important to a magazine.
Personally, my car would become perfectly picture friendly and normal looking inside just by putting 5 things back in. (most of which are the seats- and the weight of them only makes me a tenth slower). Hardly gutted looking if you ask me.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
if both are on street tires the supra would hook better then a 450fwhp maxima.
I was only pointing out how many times I've seen a supra dyno ridiculously high and put down times that have been achieved in other RWD cars with half the power.

it's kinda like with chicks. i'm sure we all know some chicks that are insane in bed and perform like champs but lack what it takes to be on the cover of a mag. what i am trying to say is that people love eye candy regardless if it is the best performer
You have a point.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:52 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

if freddy made a 270-300whp maxima n/a using the vq swap then i am sure they might care some more. and to be honest putting in a motor that is from the same engine code family isnt that impressive. it's only impressive to us due to the problems nissan decided to add into making this a drop in swap.

i am quite sure if someone put a vq35 with freddys mods into a car that never had a vq oem then it would get lots of press. ls? swaps minus the ls7 isnt that big in the gm world and wont get press but u drop a ls? into a 240 and every mag around the world would call you

my 2cents
they passed on the vq35 sentra for the same reason. it ran 12's untuned. If that's not results, then I might as well stop modding. I remember them having an article about how to put an f22b in a 93 accord. Now the crapbox makes 150hp. Nice.

I'm not saying my car is more original than the uber-modded supras and evos, but for a 10 year old car to do an engine swap and hang with supras and evos (stock, of course), is a pretty good thing. Next year when the SC goes on i'll go to the track, looking quite stock, and i'll just say my alternator's going bad.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

And i believe mardi ran a few awesome times with full interior. Just as Hal did. Hal went through alot of motors, but he was also one of the first to push the motor to those power levels on stock internals. How do you know the limits of the engine if you don't exceed them?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM

Please do keep me updated...

But as for the Max, it's not going to be sold/dumped. When I said move on to RWD I didn't mean getting rid of the Max. She'll just be part of the stable.
Nice. I wish I was at a point in my life where my financial situation allowed me to have two cars and a garage for the winter. I loved my max and would have kept it as a daily alongside the 240.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
aka The Doom Ship

hal also damaged more motors then many people have seen in person getting to put down that much power

and as far as bottom ends go many other motors will put ours to shame

You go boy!

Finally, someone else with some reasoning. Don't get me wrong, I love my Max to the fullest but I know its limits(so far).
Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

You go boy!

Finally, someone else with some reasoning. Don't get me wrong, I love my Max to the fullest but I know its limits(so far).
i take pride in being unrealistically unreasonable. The maxima is the best car evar.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Hoooper

allblack = hater. realistically the vq is one of the best motors ever, just ask wards, but youre right, ferrari's, lambo's and many other cars have better bottom ends that can handle more power. and comparing the vq35 to the 2jz is not fair, it was built for turbo and can handle more power naturally. a real comparison of nissan to 2JZ is the VG30DETT, people make FAR over 450whp on stock internals. pretty much the same motor as a vq35, just less displacement and built for boost

Old 09-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Likes them corn fed

You basically just pissed in their face. Every damn time I see a souped up import with a bodykit, huge decails, horribly played out black rims with a chrome lip, a disgusting exhaust note and a ridiculous spoiler, it makes me want to throw up.

I've tried long and hard to respect the other half of the modding scene (all show and no go) but I just can't try anymore. I feel sorry for people with show cars who pour sweat, time and tears into their cars and truly think their cars are unique and/or beautiful. They're not. They're horribly played out.

They make us (import owners who truly care about performance and clean styling) look like total morons because we're tossed into one single bag.

Today some dude with a souped up civic showed up at work to buy two new front tires. Long story short when I asked if he had any "go" mods he said "Sure. I've got twin electric turbos under the hood".

I kept looking for any sign of irony but there was none. He was dead fawking serious.

HAHAHA that is an awesome story.. twin electric turbos...
Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM
brotherhood of tq

Personally, my car would become perfectly picture friendly and normal looking inside just by putting 5 things back in. (most of which are the seats- and the weight of them only makes me a tenth slower). Hardly gutted looking if you ask me.
ohh i didnt mean you or anyone in paticular...it just seems that u have to make lots of hp and have your car done up like its sitting at a carshow both with flawless paint and custom **** throughout the interior to grace the cover of most mags.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:04 PM
brotherhood of tq

I was only pointing out how many times I've seen a supra dyno ridiculously high and put down times that have been achieved in other RWD cars with half the power .
you also have to remember that mant people run their supras in street/dyno trim. leaving the line off boost will hurt no matter how much power you make and i know a few supra owners that do that for fear of damaging something which would be expensive to replace....seems that they just really care about the trap since thats all that matters in being a highway car

You have a point.
i am always right
Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by Hoooper
allblack = hater. realistically the vq is one of the best motors ever, just ask wards, but youre right, ferrari's, lambo's and many other cars have better bottom ends that can handle more power. and comparing the vq35 to the 2jz is not fair, it was built for turbo and can handle more power naturally. a real comparison of nissan to 2JZ is the VG30DETT, people make FAR over 450whp on stock internals. pretty much the same motor as a vq35, just less displacement and built for boost
How can I hate on my own car? I admit, the VQ35 is one of the best V6's out there. I know first hand, I had an '02, '03, and '04.

But ya'll have gotten so off topic it ain't funny. The point is Maximas will not make the cover no time soon and probably will not make an article. That's reality and many of ya'll are in denial.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
brotherhood of tq

they passed on the vq35 sentra for the same reason. it ran 12's untuned. If that's not results, then I might as well stop modding. I remember them having an article about how to put an f22b in a 93 accord. Now the crapbox makes 150hp. Nice.

I'm not saying my car is more original than the uber-modded supras and evos, but for a 10 year old car to do an engine swap and hang with supras and evos (stock, of course), is a pretty good thing. Next year when the SC goes on i'll go to the track, looking quite stock, and i'll just say my alternator's going bad.
what i put in bold is what would keep you and all your power from being in a mag. mags like things that are shiny....extremely large and shiny....or cost alot of money and is shiny.

your could run 11's and they probally wouldnt care unless you have a car that people would like to look at. on print a 12 sec car and a 14 sec car look alike. u need ice and a mint under hood setup with a shiny custom im or somthing to make it pic worthy.

what i would do if i was you is go sc like you want but get all the pips chrome coated or something and run a fmic with spray even if you never use the bottle. you do that then that coupled with your 3.5 makes the car worth looking at to other people aside those in the nissan world....which is very very very small. and you should kno no cams no care
Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

How can I hate on my own car? I admit, the VQ35 is one of the best V6's out there. I know first hand, I had an '02, '03, and '04.

But ya'll have gotten so off topic it ain't funny. The point is Maximas will not make the cover no time soon and probably will not make an article. That's reality and many of ya'll are in denial.
who said anything about a cover? i just inquired about an article, that all. Not surprisingly, they didn't take it. i still love my car as much as I always did. i just wanted to share my story with you guys.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by Hoooper
having a great motor for tunning and having a motor that has a wards award is two different things.

we are very lucky to have a good motor its just that its dropped into an azz backwards car. if the vq was always in a z car then people would rank it in the 2jz, ls? catagory and such.

Quick Reply: Just contacted SportCompactCar...