All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Vafc Ii

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Vafc Ii

Okay, I just want to make sure I'm correct at what I'm arguing...

I spoke to this guy who is the owner of a speed shop here locally, and I was mentioning to him that I was looking for a VAFCII and he told me they are only compatible with HOnda V-tec's... I mentioned to him that I have read about so many Maxima's using the VAFCII, and he said it couldnt be. I mentioned to him that the VQ comes equipped with VVT and he still was arguing we couldnt use it.

My question is: there is only one kind of VAFC II right?? And are the connections are universal?? If not, what is needed to be done in order to make it compatible, if anything?? I dont know if he's just not aware of the VQ's characteristics or what!

Someone help me out so I know i'm not tripping!!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Need A Light?

As far as I'm concerned....

Yes the v-afcii works for our cars...I am not sure about EVERY car...but I believe its the same concept...a wire is cut (whether MAF sensor or MAP sensor)...and is modified by the V-afcii...then the modified signals get sent back into the stock ecu...

So no, you are not tripping...what is VVT by the way? Variable Valve Timing? If so, your 98 maxima does not come with VVT...only VQ35's come with VVT
Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
As far as I'm concerned....

Yes the v-afcii works for our cars...I am not sure about EVERY car...but I believe its the same concept...a wire is cut (whether MAF sensor or MAP sensor)...and is modified by the V-afcii...then the modified signals get sent back into the stock ecu...

So no, you are not tripping...what is VVT by the way? Variable Valve Timing? If so, your 98 maxima does not come with VVT...only VQ35's come with VVT

I know about the 3.0's not having it.... Its just that I just purchased a 3.5 and I'm trying to get all the parts I need rounded up before I actually recieve the engine.

Do you by chance know how to connect the VAFC II to a Maxima? I'm not too familiar on how this would go connected but I really want to learn.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 915Max
I know about the 3.0's not having it.... Its just that I just purchased a 3.5 and I'm trying to get all the parts I need rounded up before I actually recieve the engine.

Do you by chance know how to connect the VAFC II to a Maxima? I'm not too familiar on how this would go connected but I really want to learn.
theres a thread lying around somewhere...check in the FAQ and you will find it...its simple wiring...only 5 wires

1. 12v
2. ground
3. TPS
4. RPM
5. MAF/MAP
6. VTEC wire (optional, i didn't install mine)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 PM

theres a thread lying around somewhere...check in the FAQ and you will find it...its simple wiring...only 5 wires

1. 12v
2. ground
3. TPS
4. RPM
5. MAF/MAP
6. VTEC wire (optional, i didn't install mine)
Check out the thread on where I was talking to this guy from that shop and what he says. I'm honestly new to this VVT and VAFC II, and all related stuff to it. So i'm tryin to learn as much as possible.http://elpasoracing.com/lounge/index.php?topic=856.10

Do you think what they say is true, about using the S-afc rather than the V-afc or would the VAFC II be more beneficial for my situation?

BTW, nice ride!!

I'm thiking that the reason they might be saying this is that they dont know I'm swapping in a 3.5 (which I dont want to disclose either)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Need A Light?

thanks for the compliment...and btw, I use to run a v-afcii on my ride...check it out in the members ride section for pictures

honestly, both s-afcii and v-afcii would work well...they will get the job done right...I just wanted the v-afcii for the more tunable points...but honestly, if you REALLY want to play it safe (not that the v-afcii will screw anything up)...then get the s-afcii...the s-afcii will suffice if you ask me..
Old 11-03-2006, 10:52 AM

thanks for the compliment...and btw, I use to run a v-afcii on my ride...check it out in the members ride section for pictures

honestly, both s-afcii and v-afcii would work well...they will get the job done right...I just wanted the v-afcii for the more tunable points...but honestly, if you REALLY want to play it safe (not that the v-afcii will screw anything up)...then get the s-afcii...the s-afcii will suffice if you ask me..
I stayed up until about 2:00 am reading up on the two in relation to the Maxima. What I got out of it was that if your needing a rpm switch, which I do since i'm doing the 3.5 swap, you need to get the VAFC II. So did I get this right?? I feel so confused about this!! BUt i'm dying to fully understand it!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 915Max
I stayed up until about 2:00 am reading up on the two in relation to the Maxima. What I got out of it was that if your needing a rpm switch, which I do since i'm doing the 3.5 swap, you need to get the VAFC II. So did I get this right?? I feel so confused about this!! BUt i'm dying to fully understand it!
yes...if you are doing a swap...and want to control your VI...then hook up that VTEC wire fosho
Old 11-03-2006, 07:04 PM
bigbadmax

I am assuming that after you install the VAFC-II you will need to get your car tunned?

Or if you do it yourself would you have to "Road Tune" it with a WBo2?

Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by bigbadmax
I am assuming that after you install the VAFC-II you will need to get your car tunned?

yup that is correct
Old 11-04-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by bigbadmax

since you have the VAFCII you can tune it, get a WB02 ( a dataloggin one) and do your own tuning.

I just installed mine a few days ago. Check the FSM for the wires to tap. The FSM will state the color of the wire, it will make it easier to find when your cramped in the footwell of the passenger side of the car.

Download the pdf from www.apexi-usa.com its has all the info you'll need on how to setup the VAFCII, do adjustment, adjust fuel, etc. My head has been burried in it for the past couple of days.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 AM

What kind of WBO2 sensor do you have?? Sorry if its a dumb question but I'm new to this... but the VAFC II is a stand alone piggy back module right... in other words, I dont need a laptop do make adjustments on it?

Also, do the OOVI and the 3.5 Manifold work the same way? I mean they both have Variable valve timing right??

I'm trying to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and to learn as much as possible, as quick as possible... my 3.5 should be getting here within a week or two.

Now if decide to go with the VAFC II, the V-tec controller would act as a rpm switch and enable the VVT to be functional, allowing me to adjust the VVT as to when I want it to open, and allow me to adjust my air/fuel, right?? And the S-AFC would only allow me to adjust my air/fuel ratio but the VVT would not be functional... Am i getting this correct!?

I've read about so many different threads on the VAFC II and how some say it doesnt allow you to adjust when the VVT open, and others say it does...

Off the subject I guess, but... does the Greddy e-manage blue require a laptop to make adjustments?

I'm sorry for the million questions, but you guys are all I have... LOL
Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

What kind of WBO2 sensor do you have?? Sorry if its a dumb question but I'm new to this... but the VAFC II is a stand alone piggy back module right... in other words, I dont need a laptop do make adjustments on it?
No laptop needed for VAFC operation.

Also, do the OOVI and the 3.5 Manifold work the same way? I mean they both have Variable valve timing right??
You have variable induction and variable valve timing mixed up. Use because they are quite different.

I'm trying to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and to learn as much as possible, as quick as possible... my 3.5 should be getting here within a week or two. Yes, judging from your above post, you have some massive reading up to do.

Now if decide to go with the VAFC II, the V-tec controller would act as a rpm switch and enable the VVT to be functional, allowing me to adjust the VVT as to when I want it to open, and allow me to adjust my air/fuel, right??
Get VVT out of your head for the time being, it's VIAS, (variable air induction system)

And the S-AFC would only allow me to adjust my air/fuel ratio but the VVT would not be functional... Am i getting this correct!?
All but the VVT part. The VAFC will also allow you to tune 24 poins vs 12 points, like I said earlier, you really need to do ome MASSIVE reading

I've read about so many different threads on the VAFC II and how some say it doesnt allow you to adjust when the VVT open, and others say it does...
It does, you just need to kow how to operate it. Again I'm referring to VIAS not VVT. Donate to this site so you can do real searches.

Off the subject I guess, but... does the Greddy e-manage blue require a laptop to make adjustments?
Yes.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Get VVT out of your head for the time being, it's VIAS, (variable air induction system)

you really need to do ome MASSIVE reading

Donate to this site so you can do real searches.
I agree with you... I have been doing so much reading on the VAFC II that I havent focused on the actual functions of the VIAS or as I was calling it, VVT .... must have slipped my mind.

I dont know if I feel completely comfortable doing the VAFC II right now since I really dont know much about the functions or the tuning with it.

I've been giving it a lot of thought and i'm kind of leaning towards the MSD 8969 RPM swith, and then once I feel comfortable and confident about the VAFC II, then I'll sell the RPM switch and possibly my T/S ECU and get the VAFC II......

Would I still be getting pretty good performance from the engine doing it this way (rpm switch + Technosquare ECU)? What do you all think!!??

I just need some advice bad!--- Man I sound desperate LMAO!!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:33 PM

I would say think about your decision then act on it. Download the VAFC install manual from apexi-usa.com web site. Reading thru that will help you understand how to use it.

I no clue on how the VAFCII would work but after reading it here and there at work, it just all pieces together.

If you want a decent tune but dont really want to go thru the hasle of making the adjustments get a rpm switch and Technosquare/JWT.

If you want to do it your self, go with the VAFCII. You'll have 24 points to make adjustments, which gives you greater control over the entire rpm band.

You can set when you want the VIAS to open (on assending rpms) andc close (on decending rpms).

I had the emanage blue and was going to hook it up to my car, but I didnt want to have to deal with a laptop, but really having to buy a serial cable and usb converter really bugged me.

read up on the VAFCII, it will start to make sense the more and more you read it.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:40 AM

I have about two weeks to decide what I'm gonna do. I appreciate everybody's input! Thanks!

And I guess i'll post up any other questions I may have....hopefully everybody wont get tired of my questions around here.