All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.
View Poll Results: Which setup to go with?
JWT Cams + Reflash ECU for cams
22.22%
Supercharger
77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

What to do next? and What kind of HP gains have you guys experienced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007 | 01:25 PM

What to do next? and What kind of HP gains have you guys experienced?

Alright, I know I still wanna make this maxima faster. However there doesn't seem like there's much more I can do that's cheap. Time for a bigger investment than just the bolt on's but I still want to keep the VQ30DE.

What now?

A: Cams + Tune? What kind of HP would I be looking at w/ JWT?

B: Supercharger?

Sure the S/C will probably get me more HP, but with cams it still has that stock look to it w/o the big Hissing S/C sound.

Has anyone had problems with their cammed / S/C'd setup? Trans dies, Motor blows, etc? Would like to know from experienced owners before I make the investment.

Don't wanna go turbo cause I'd have to get a new exhaust setup then. Don't want to do that.
Old 09-22-2007 | 03:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1
Alright, I know I still wanna make this maxima faster. However there doesn't seem like there's much more I can do that's cheap. Time for a bigger investment than just the bolt on's but I still want to keep the VQ30DE.

What now?

Sure the S/C will probably get me more HP, but with cams it still has that stock look to it w/o the big Hissing S/C sound.

Has anyone had problems with their cammed / S/C'd setup? Trans dies, Motor blows, etc? Would like to know from experienced owners before I make the investment.

Don't wanna go turbo cause I'd have to get a new exhaust setup then. Don't want to do that.
Do more research please. You can't just plug a magic number in. Gains depends on more items than just adding those particular mods and a 'tune'.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 09-22-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2007 | 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Do more research please. You can't just plug a magic number in. Gains depends on more items than just adding those particular mods and a 'tune'.

More research??? What do you think this thread is for? I'm asking for some advice here from members who have experienced these mods and you just tell me to look for advice? Isn't asking for personal experiences with the listed modifications a pretty good method of research?

Seriously I could look at charts all day but going straight to a source that has experienced it already is, I think, a great source.

As I was saying. Any tips peeps?

Last edited by 1chewabacha1; 09-22-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: add on
Old 09-22-2007 | 10:02 PM
DasYears

you want cams but youre talking about price? go for an EU first. then decide what you want next. and yes i know you have a jwt ecu, but jwt ecu<<<<EU capabilities
Old 09-22-2007 | 10:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

What now?

do you mean by tune? The word tune is used way too loosely around here, ok?

about it>

Do you know anything about valve overlap and cam timing?

It's been done before... SEARCH
Old 09-23-2007 | 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DasYears
you want cams but youre talking about price? go for an EU first. then decide what you want next. and yes i know you have a jwt ecu, but jwt ecu<<<<EU capabilities

Oops, when I said JWT I was actually referring to the JWT cams. When I said Tune, I was referring to an EU setup and dynotune.

I kind of figured the JWT mail in flash alone probably wouldn't be a good way to run the cams.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
do you mean by tune? The word tune is used way too loosely around here, ok?

about it>

Do you know anything about valve overlap and cam timing?

It's been done before... SEARCH
Alright, by tune I mean EU and dyno & tune at a local shop. Not really sure how much else it could mean other than adjusting timing, fuel, etc.

Supercharger? WTF about it? Look at how the question is formatted. It's asking Cams? Or S/C? Get it now?

Yeah, I know that there's gonna be a pretty rough idle. I admit that I may not know as much as you about this topic but don't gotta be a snob about it. That's what the forum is for, enlightening other members.

Yeah, I've searched on this topic. A couple trannies/motors etc blown. Would just like any other experiences and/or recommendations on how to prevent it.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:56 AM
SLOW

cams seem like a lot of work and money for a little gain. you're still going to be hamstrung by lame vq30 heads... seems like you're looking to spend about as much as it costs to do a 3.5 swap for like 1/4 to 1/2 the gains.

there's not much risk of breaking your trans with a 3.0 SC - they don't usually make enough torque except for the most powerful setups. motors blowing is an easy topic to research, if you don't tune it well, you're probably going to blow it up.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 09-23-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2007 | 07:01 PM

If you have high aspirations, then forced induction is the way to go. But if you want to keep in N/A. you will definatley want to tune it either with an e-manage (blue or ultimate) or even a safc/vafc.

JWT cams are pretty damn pricey, id read that pathfinder(r50) 3.5 liter cams are better for a budget build. Not sure of the legitimacy of that, i read it on nyc maximas.
Old 09-25-2007 | 09:15 AM
Made in Taiwan

Simply put...

Either supercharge your car from the beginning and call it a day, or don't even mod your car at all in the power department. N/A mods will drain the life outta your broke-azz...

-Peter-