All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

vq30de-k build questions before I start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 PM

vq30de-k build questions before I start

I'm building a de-k for my 96 maxima over the next few weeks. I already have the ebay 3.5 cams and I'm picking the de-k up on friday. I want to put stiffer/shimed valve springs in the motor, and I plan on using an emanage to tune. A 5-speed or vlsd auto might be in the works too, if i can find one. I might do a writeup on this if there is any intrest in it, and i will post pics along the way. This is not my first engine build, but my first time working with a v-6 and a nissan engine, so i do have a few questions before i start.

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on types of valve springs, (vq35hr?), and on spacers for the cams. I would like to keep some bottom end torque, and i wasnt sure if the spacers could be used to set the deg. on the cams.

Also, does anybody have a set of spacers i could buy, i think stephenmax is the one that makes them but im not 100 percent on that.

kymax96
Old 09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I would recommend using the vq35hr valve springs and just order another 24 vq30 shims (you already have an existing set of shims in the heads). I would also go ahead and order some HR Head bolts.

If your gonna crack the bottom end apart replace the rod nut/bolt combo with OEM ones and I recommend getting the vh45 piston rings ($100) and they are a bit better IMO. Also get a stock vq35 oil pump especially if you plan to increase rev limit.

this is pretty much all the things I am doing to my motor build, besides the oversized valves (vq35 valves) and porting job. The stuff isn't really that expensive and its worth replacing all the OEM parts or upgrading them with vq35 stuff or HR stuff.

give DaveB a call.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I also ordered the Toga rod/main bearings to replace them as well.

www.importperformanceparts.net has become my friend.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^werd

Yup you had it right, Stephenmax, and he can cut you whatever specs you want for the intake cams only, but I'll leave those sugestions for someone else, I would just have them made where he cuts them at now, I think he charges a little extra for custom specs on the intakes.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
If your gonna crack the bottom end apart replace the rod nut/bolt combo with OEM ones and I recommend getting the vh45 piston rings ($100) and they are a bit better IMO. Also get a stock vq35 oil pump especially if you plan to increase rev limit.
A VQ35 pump won't help anything if the bottom end isn't balanced considering Dandymax blew his revup oil pump on an otherwise unmodified bottom end.

What's special about the VH rings? Napier-style 2nd ring? Different material?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by nismology
A VQ35 pump won't help anything if the bottom end isn't balanced considering Dandymax blew his revup oil pump on an otherwise unmodified bottom end.

What's special about the VH rings? Napier-style 2nd ring? Different material?
I thought dandy blew his 3.0 on a stock 3.0 oil pump? And it was in that discussion you guys said that 3.5 oil pump was more then enough to push the oil through on a 3.0 build. so your saying the engine would have to be rebalanced in order to run a 3.5 pump?

As for the VH piston rings, I know a couple of people with s14s running VH45s and they push it to 9k rpms peaking at about 500 hp on stock internals, I understand that some of it also reliant on the fact of the valve springs, etc. But IIRC they are coated differently, so thats why most of those guys who rebuild the VH45s tend to stay OEM piston rings on their engines. If you gonna tear the bottom half apart, you really should replace the piston rings IMO why not go for a slight upgrade with these, they are the same price as the vq30 piston rings so why not.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM

I thought dandy blew his 3.0 on a stock 3.0 oil pump? And it was in that discussion you guys said that 3.5 oil pump was more then enough to push the oil through on a 3.0 build. so your saying the engine would have to be rebalanced in order to run a 3.5 pump?
He blew a 3.0 pump then blew a revup 350Z pump as well. This tells us that the 3.0 pump is not the weak link. Crankshaft harmonics are to blame. If anyone revs a 3.0 with a stock bottom end to 7500 and higher on a regular basis that motor is on borrowed time, 3.5 pump or not.

As for the VH piston rings, I know a couple of people with s14s running VH45s and they push it to 9k rpms peaking at about 500 hp on stock internals, I understand that some of it also reliant on the fact of the valve springs, etc. But IIRC they are coated differently, so thats why most of those guys who rebuild the VH45s tend to stay OEM piston rings on their engines. If you gonna tear the bottom half apart, you really should replace the piston rings IMO why not go for a slight upgrade with these, they are the same price as the vq30 piston rings so why not.
I'm all for using better parts, but I only if I know exactly why they're better.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 PM

I'm all for using better parts, but I only if I know exactly why they're better.
Has anyone confirmed that these rings fit a VQ30 piston? They both (VH45 and VQ30) have the same bore so one would imagine that they do just wondering if it has been done.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Turbo'd Saab

VH45 1st and 2nd rings thickness is 1.88mm
VQ30 1st and 2nd rings thickness is 1.2mm

but I have seen piston ring thicknesses up to 1.8mm for the vq30.

In theory it will work, I am going to be trying this on my new engine.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 09-16-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Turbo'd Saab

When I get a chance to go to my storage unit, I'll pull another 3.0 piston to measure how much room we have for the piston rings
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Yea just make sure the side clearance is within specification before using 'em.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Yea just make sure the side clearance is within specification before using 'em.
already did....

according to FSMs they are all within 0.03mm with a range of like 0.3mm-0.47mm IIRC, which I probably don't (its 11 and its beer time), but they matched up pretty much perfectly.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Awesome. Glad to see another who pays attention to detail.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 AM

I also ordered the Toga rod/main bearings to replace them as well.

www.importperformanceparts.net has become my friend.
Did you ordered the Toga rod/main stock size bearing ?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by doublea
Did you ordered the Toga rod/main stock size bearing ?
part number MBD34-HP for the main and RBD34-HP for the rod.

its 110
Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 PM

part number MBD34-HP for the main and RBD34-HP for the rod.

its 110
Thanks for the infos, this is one of the last part I need to buy before this engine get balanced.

Cheers

AA
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Did you bought the std or the +10 or +20 ?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by doublea
Did you bought the std or the +10 or +20 ?
just the STD, sorry forgot to mention that, I got the combo deal cause its not bad for the price.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Thank for that info, I'm going to order tomorrow. Btw I got a call from the shop and my VQ head are ready, I'll pick them up friday. see my thread for pics this week-end.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Horizontally opposed.

He blew a 3.0 pump then blew a revup 350Z pump as well. This tells us that the 3.0 pump is not the weak link. Crankshaft harmonics are to blame. If anyone revs a 3.0 with a stock bottom end to 7500 and higher on a regular basis that motor is on borrowed time, 3.5 pump or not.

Sorry for the bump...but I've been wondering about Dandy's issue with oil pumps.

I may be starting a little build in my spare time, nothing radical, just a 3.0 with cams. (side note, motor has 180k. is there a chance I can get by with just bearings, honing, and re-ringing?)

I've read people saying over and over, "the 3.0 pump sucks, get a 3.5 pump if you're revving high" I also remember one person saying the 3.5 produced almost twice the oil pressure as the 3.0 pump (when in a 3.0). Is there any merit to this? Since we know strength isn't an advantage of a 3.5 pump, are there actually any advantages? more flow?

I'm just worried about revving high ever since Dandy grenaded the rev-up pump. IIRC, he wasn't even revved high when it happened; like 4 or 5k during a burnout I think.

Also, since the cause is believed to be vibrations...would using a UDP be a bad idea? I've read that, even though there is rubber in the stock pulley, it is not a "harmonic balancer;" the vq30 has an internally balanced rotating assembly. So, theoretically, a UDP would be fine. But in the real world...I'm guessing not? Would it be a waste of time/ridiculously expensive to get it balanced?