All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:16 AM

GREAT JOB!! I knew you could do it. I just HATE I couldn't make it out. You never fail to amaze.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
11.99 or BUST!!
Well, I didn't think I'd BUST, but I did... or the tranny did. But I'll be back soon.

Originally Posted by grey99max
You know, I betcha that's true of all the RE4F04x transmissions. I hung a 2001 Maxima housing on a 2006 Altima RE4F04B transmission, for the lower final drive, and it fit fine. Only thing is the differential must be of the same type - non-LSD or VLSD, since the driver's side bearing are so different. Nissan made the RE4F04x transmissions for at least 14 years.
Yeah, years ago I opened my RE4F04V 1992 tranny to try to convert to a welded 4th gen RE4F04A open diff and quickly found out you can't due to the bearing surfaces being different. So I've just kept my stock VLSD all these years. As long as I'm able to lay down two identical strips of rubber through 1st gear, I guess I'll be happy with the VLSD.

Originally Posted by krazy6
Good news other than the transmission breaking.

It was just a stock transmission right?
Yeah, at least I have confirmed that the car is running the times that it should be. In fact, it's running .15-20 faster than it should be which is probably due to the 75mm Big Bore Throttle Body, 3.25" ID MAF housing, and lower injector duty cycle of the R35 GTR injectors I installed.

And this was on the first and ONLY pass. I guarantee that if I had some more pass attempts, I could have shaved another 1-2 tenths as the night went on and I fine tuned my fuel map.

Originally Posted by Dzaccord
GREAT JOB!! I knew you could do it. I just HATE I couldn't make it out. You never fail to amaze.
Thanks. But I didn't "do it". I haven't hit 11s yet. I hope to be back within the next 2 weeks if one of my two spare transmissions work.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Tonight, before dropping the transmission and blindly replacing it with one of the spare units that I have in the shop, I tested the solenoids. For some reason, when applying 12v to the Shift A (#2 terminal), Shift B (#1), and Overrun Clutch (#3) solenoids, they will only click once and get stuck. There may be debris in them or they are on the way out. The Line Pressure (#4) and TC Clutch (#5) operate just fine.

And on my two spare RE4F04V trannies I have in the shop, both of those solenoid packs are not working in the exact same manner. The 1, 2, and 3 solenoids will not click at all. But the 4 and 5 work.

All 3 sets of my solenoids may be dead. I'd like to make sure that they are working before I swap transmissions. Has anybody else had the same issue where the Shift A, Shift B, and Overrun Clutch solenoids won't click? I may order a new set of solenoids from the dealer tomorrow and make sure those click before installing them.

I also may remove the recalibrated valve body and take it apart to make sure there isn't any debris in it before I swap it into a new tranny. Or I can just install a TransGo HD2 kit into the spare VB and not worry about debris. And I have a prototype torque converter from Edge Racing that hopefully will be a 4K+ stall that I will use. What do you guys think? I don't want to install a possibly contaminated TC or VB into a good used transmission.

Here is what I found in my pan when I dropped it tonight:

Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 PM

I say play it safe and use the uncontaminated hardware.

Way to show that if your not breaking something, you aren't racing.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE

Here is what I found in my pan when I dropped it tonight:
Bummer on the lost slip ET - looks like car was on the way to a 11-sec pass. At least you proved that " your racin' ".

Way too many metal fragments showing up in the pan juices - time for another tranny... futzing with a busted tranny cost me a Level10 valve body and another Edge TC... and another B&M oil cooler - those metal fragments get everywhere..

For instance:

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...rts.-54-1.html
Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
I say play it safe and use the uncontaminated hardware.

Way to show that if your not breaking something, you aren't racing.
Yeah, I'll probably just install the HD2 shift kit in the spare VB and not use the old VB or TC.

But the tranny had 219K miles on it. I just did the math yesterday. It probably just broke b/c it was old.

Bummer on the lost slip ET - looks like car was on the way to a 11-sec pass. At least you proved that " your racin' ".

Way too many metal fragments showing up in the pan juices - time for another tranny... futzing with a busted tranny cost me a Level10 valve body and another Edge TC... and another B&M oil cooler - those metal fragments get everywhere..

For instance:

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...rts.-54-1.html
What do you mean that "futzing" with a busted tranny cost you a VB and TC? Did you try to install a VB and TC from a blown transmission into a good tranny?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Yeah, I'll probably just install the HD2 shift kit in the spare VB and not use the old VB or TC.

But the tranny had 219K miles on it. I just did the math yesterday. It probably just broke b/c it was old.

What do you mean that "futzing" with a busted tranny cost you a VB and TC? Did you try to install a VB and TC from a blown transmission into a good tranny?
Yup.... must say that it didn't work out well, either. One pass and the yard tranny was toast - would barely move the car afterwards. Good thing I always trailer to the track, with a battery and big winch on the trailer. Never again...
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yup.... must say that it didn't work out well, either. One pass and the yard tranny was toast - would barely move the car afterwards. Good thing I always trailer to the track, with a battery and big winch on the trailer. Never again...
Thanks for clarifying. That helps me then. I just ordered a Transgo RE4F04A-HD2 kit and new solenoids (31940-80X25 for $80), as well as, a new tranny pan gasket and axle seals. Once I get everything in, I will install the shift kit into the spare tranny I have and use the brand new Edge Racing TC prototype I have laying on the shelf! The entire tranny will not be using any parts from the one I just blew up other than the ATF temp sensor, revolution, and speed sensor. I want to use my known working VLSD diff. Do you see any reason why I shouldn't swap the differential over to the spare tranny as long as the final gear teeth look perfect?

This new TC hopefully will be a 4.0-4.5K+ stall with an NA launch. We'll see. It's the world's first converter like this using a smaller cover. So nobody has any math/notes on it. I just have to try it and report back to Edge Racing with the results.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thanks for clarifying. That helps me then. I just ordered a Transgo RE4F04A-HD2 kit and new solenoids (31940-80X25 for $80), as well as, a new tranny pan gasket and axle seals. Once I get everything in, I will install the shift kit into the spare tranny I have and use the brand new Edge Racing TC prototype I have laying on the shelf! The entire tranny will not be using any parts from the one I just blew up other than the ATF temp sensor, revolution, and speed sensor. I want to use my known working VLSD diff. Do you see any reason why I shouldn't swap the differential over to the spare tranny as long as the final gear teeth look perfect?

This new TC hopefully will be a 4.0-4.5K+ stall with an NA launch. We'll see. It's the world's first converter like this using a smaller cover. So nobody has any math/notes on it. I just have to try it and report back to Edge Racing with the results.

Sounds like a plan. Auto trannys don't seem to like various small parts floating around in the oil. They don't have an effective small-particle filter inside, just those magnets for the large steel chunks, so not much margin for error there. I kept the original Edge converter with the thought of flushing it out really well if I need another, but not needed in three years...

About the VLSD diff - what I did with the welded Altima diff was to use a couple of cans of O'Reillys brake cleaner on all surfaces and deep into both end bearings and into the pinion gears to flush out as much as possible, then after drying I lubricated all bearings with ATF by pouring a quart into the diff sitting in a pan while rotating all moving parts, then draining the whole assembly.

Interested in how that new Edge TC works for you. I never did get one that stalls over 3K. Oh, that 2006 Altima RE4F04B transmission cost me around $350 w/82K miles on it. Tons of them in the yards. A pass with a healthy welder and you could have the latest RE4F04B 4.4 final drive spooled automatic (add shift kit here) that's possible to assemble. You would definitely need sticker tires...
Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Sounds like a plan. Auto trannys don't seem to like various small parts floating around in the oil. They don't have an effective small-particle filter inside, just those magnets for the large steel chunks, so not much margin for error there. I kept the original Edge converter with the thought of flushing it out really well if I need another, but not needed in three years...

About the VLSD diff - what I did with the welded Altima diff was to use a couple of cans of O'Reillys brake cleaner on all surfaces and deep into both end bearings and into the pinion gears to flush out as much as possible, then after drying I lubricated all bearings with ATF by pouring a quart into the diff sitting in a pan while rotating all moving parts, then draining the whole assembly.

Interested in how that new Edge TC works for you. I never did get one that stalls over 3K. Oh, that 2006 Altima RE4F04B transmission cost me around $350 w/82K miles on it. Tons of them in the yards. A pass with a healthy welder and you could have the latest RE4F04B 4.4 final drive spooled automatic (add shift kit here) that's possible to assemble. You would definitely need sticker tires...
Yeah, I'll clean the VLSD very well and make sure the bearings are in perfect shape.

And I am currently using 22" MT slicks. They hook up no problem around the 1.80 60ft range. Jime got them to hook up with a 1.5 60'! But I have thought about doing an Altima final drive. But I'll keep the stock ratio for now since I'm topping out 3rd gear through the traps currently. Plus, in order to accurately report back to Edge Racing about this prototype, I will need to compare apples to apples and keep the same slicks.

My current Edge Racing TC stalls at 3600rpm, but that is a very loose prototype which hurt my trap speed. Before that one, I tested a 3500 stall. So far, with all my tests, the best TC I've ever had is the popular Edge Racing 3K stall. It gave me both the best 60' and the best trap speed.

And I am only talking about launching naturally aspirated. If I sprayed a 50-75 shot on the launch, it would stall about 500 rpm higher than any of the stalls I just mentioned.

But the great thing about this new 245mm math converter that I'm installing now is that it should stall above 4K and have a BETTER trap speed than the 3500-3600 stalls! It should even be better than the 3K stall! But I'll have to see how these tests go first before we get too excited. haha
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Latest video from NWP of our only 1/4 mile pass Friday night. Only the 1/8 mile time was recorded since the track guys messed up.

And there must have been something on the track (water, sand, etc) because I have never broken traction going into 3rd gear all motor! So it scared the **** out of me and I lifted. But I was able to get right back into it.

Enjoy!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 AM

Track announcer:

" I think... I think... I think that's faster than he's ever been before"

I think... LOL
Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Track announcer:

" I think... I think... I think that's faster than he's ever been before"

I think... LOL
Wow! That sounds right! How did you figure that out? Were you raised in NC?

I may edit the video and re-upload to YouTube with the correct subtitles now.

It's too bad the track only recorded my 1/8 mile time cause it would have been a new 1/4 mile world record. The fastest that this track has ever seen me run is a 12.1 with an 1/8 mile of about 7.79. So that's probably why the announcer said that. I ran my 12.04 at another nearby track that has a better surface.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I'm working hard trying to get a spare transmission swapped in. I finished installing the HD-2 Transgo kit in the spare valve body, new VB solenoids, new radiator, and new ball joints. I found a fragment of aluminum when flushing out the stock tranny cooler. So I decided to remove the radiator and install a new one I had sitting on the shelf. And I will be putting in the 245mm Edge Racing prototype which hopefully will stall higher than 4K rpm!

I won't know if this spare tranny will work until it's in the car. It was a freebie I got from an OG Maxima.org member, portdave, way back in the day. There was a little water that creeped into the the dipstick tube that wasn't sealed since his tarp came loose. But after dropping the valve body, there didn't seem to be any water in the fluid ABOVE the valve body. The only water I saw was in the pan. So hopefully, the moisture didn't deteriorate the entire transmission. And the tranny definitely didn't run with the water present. If it did, I wouldn't even attempt to use this tranny.

And the outside of this tranny casing was so corroded, that I spent 36 hours removing two of the front mount bolts that were stuck in there. With a can of PB Blaster, a LOT of patience, and a propane torch, I was able to barely get them out without breaking them. Then I made a thread chaser and cleaned up the threads.

I hope to have the transmission installed and the car running by the end of this weekend.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Turbo 3.5

great news, when do the tracks close down there
Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by t6378tp
great news, when do the tracks close down there
They don't close at all, weather permitting. They have scheduled races in January, but it usually gets postponed a week or two due to weather.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's a pic of the Maxima loaded on the trailer ready to visit the track that night I ran the world record 1/8 mile pass of 7.73 and blew up the transmission:

Here's the new TransGo RE4F04A-HD2 shift kit installed in the spare transmission's valve body:

Swapping transmissions (blown transmission on right and spare used unit on stand on left):

More information coming in a few minutes ...
Old 11-25-2013, 05:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

This evening, I just finished installing the spare transmission that I got from portdave with the TransGo shift kit and the new crazy Edge Racing 245mm torque converter prototype. Simply put, everything works! The tranny is shifting properly and held together on a brief 2 second 2nd gear pull. More testing to come later.

Since I found so many large and small fragments in the old transmission pan after it grenaded at the track, I decided to use as many uncontaminated parts as possible in this spare transmission I had. So I installed a new radiator, new 245mm Edge Racing converter prototype, and installed a TransGo shift kit in the valve body, along with new solenoids from Tri-Cities Nissan (cost ~$80 for OEM #31940-80X25).

After installing the shift kit, the next day, I noticed the upper part of the valve body was damaged! It had a hole in the casing! It appears to have been dropped on top of a bolt that was laying on the bench. And after spending all that time installing the shift kit, I was not about to swap it over to another spare valve body I had. I wanted to finish this project! So I cleaned the hole up and grabbed some JB Weld and VERY carefully patched the hole. And since the hole was in the same spot where one of the 4 lip seals comes in contact, I put a thin layer of Black RTV to help the lip seal do it's job.

All patched up and ready to install:

Then I removed the torque converter housing that was meant for the VE30DE engine and swapped it with the 4th gen VQ30DE housing and installed the transmission in the car with the new 245mm Edge Racing converter. New ball joints were installed, as well as, new axle seals and a pan gasket.

This evening, I topped off the transmission fluid and coolant and took it for its first test drive. Everything shifted properly. So far, the TransGo shift kit feels exactly the same as the stage 2 Maximum Tuning VB unit I had previously. Instant shift! But while I took apart the two valve body units, several differences were noticed between the two kits as far as the springs that were used and the size of the holes that were drilled.

And I did a stall test with cold AT fluid. I was able to see a 3500-3600 stall while locking the tranny in 3rd gear and, at a stand still, going wide open throttle; the best stall test since a 1st gear brake stall test will over power the tires and give you inaccurate results.

I chatted with Andre at Edge Racing Converters this evening and he said that's GREAT news. This new 245mm prototype is using GM parts and is VERY VERY efficient compared to the loose experimental 3600 stall I previously had, which used OEM Nissan parts with very limited part options and hurt my trap speed due to the inefficiency. With the GM 245mm prototype unit, the possibilities are almost endless! According to Andre, this new 245mm converter is set pretty "neutral", meaning that it's VERY efficient with an estimated STR of 2.45. And he is able to swap parts to reduce or increase the stall by at least 1500rpm in either direction without doing any bending of the fins! Yes, a 5K+ stall with a naturally aspirated VQ is possible with this new 245mm math! We just have more testing left to do before it's made available to all those hardcore automatic RE4F04 drag racers out there!

And since my engine makes gobs of power starting at 4100rpm, we are very close to this point. The closer we get to acheiving a stall of 4100 or higher, the more the stall will be increased solely on the increased power. So it's a very fine line. For instance, if I spray a 50 shot of nitrous on the launch, it will stall MUCH higher than if I didn't spray. So Andre said that's it's possible that once I "shock" the converter by lauching off idle (the best way to launch an AT BTW) along with warmed up ATF and slicks that dead hook, I may see a 4K+ stall and launch right in the meat of my power band. Only with proper track testing, will we know how to proceed with this 245mm project.

But one thing is almost for certain, I now currently have an efficient 3600 stall that doesn't hurt my trap speed. So expect to see the same, if not better, 60 foot time along with a far improved trap speed of over 116mph if my math if correct and the newly installed transmission is working properly.

And just so everyone understands, this old 3600 converter I was using was a very rough prototype from Edge Racing. We both knew going in that the converter would be inefficient due to the bending of fins. But I demanded that's the converter I want to experiment with. Well, the old 3600 stall did improve my 60 foot compared to the Edge Racing 3K stall, but it hurt my trap speed just as Andre predicted, resulting in an indentical ET of 12.04-12.05.
So far to date, the most efficient converter I've ever tested was the ever popular Edge Racing 3K stall that everyone has installed in their Maxima/Altimas and 350z/G35s. It gives the best 60 foots, best ETs, and best trap speeds. Best of all worlds and is very easy to drive daily on the street.

But with this new 245mm converter I'm testing, we should be able to achieve an equally efficient 4K stall on an NA Maxima! So if this works out as planned, this 245mm Edge Racing converter will be a very good option for those building a drag car wanting a 3500+ stall.

Thanks for reading and for all your support! I will be hitting the track on the next day the track is open. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Good stuff there Aaron. I plan on being at the next track run.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Good stuff there Aaron. I plan on being at the next track run.
Thanks. I can't find any tracks that are open this weekend. So I may have to wait until Dec 7-8th to test the new converter and tranny setup.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Turbo 3.5

That's great news so once you break 11's all motor can you please spray a 75shot, LOL
Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

That's great news so once you break 11's all motor can you please spray a 75shot, LOL
LOL I don't know. I may. I have two nitrous bottles (one is completely full) just sitting in the corner of the shop. I could spray a 50-75 shot on one pass and see how deep in the 10s I go, assuming I can hook up. Then they'll kick me out for not having a rollbar (req'd 11.49 or faster).

I want to piece the interior back together and make it a street car once again, but without any PS or AC. Then build my B13 with a built 09VQ engine.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Turbo 3.5

LOL I don't know. I may. I have two nitrous bottles (one is completely full) just sitting in the corner of the shop. I could spray a 50-75 shot on one pass and see how deep in the 10s I go, assuming I can hook up. Then they'll kick me out for not having a rollbar (req'd 11.49 or faster).

I want to piece the interior back together and make it a street car once again, but without any PS or AC. Then build my B13 with a built 09VQ engine.
make sure you leave the gopro on when they are kicking you out then
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Did Edge Racing say which GM converter parts they are using? I'm just curious since 245mm is the 3800 aftermarket converter size.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

make sure you leave the gopro on when they are kicking you out then
That's a good idea! I'll be sure to do that. Haha
Old 11-26-2013, 08:39 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
Did Edge Racing say which GM converter parts they are using? I'm just curious since 245mm is the 3800 aftermarket converter size.
He mentioned that it's used in several GM transmissions. The most popular would be the 700r4.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 AM

He mentioned that it's used in several GM transmissions. The most popular would be the 700r4.
I knew I had seen that converter cover before.... just didn't dawn on me about Edge's GM/Nissan connection.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I knew I had seen that converter cover before.... just didn't dawn on me about Edge's GM/Nissan connection.
Yeap. Looks identical to the 245mm unit I have. But the huge difference is that the driveplate side is a Nissan.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Update: Went to the track this past Sunday to test out this Edge prototype TC and the used tranny I swapped in. Everything held up just fine. The tranny shifted great with the TransGo HD2 shift kit. It shifts exactly the same as my old Maximum Tuning shift kit that was in my previous tranny that died on me.

I ran a bunch of 12.2s and 12.3s all day with 1.88-1.89 60s with a DA of 324' (1477' more than my last track visit at KDS). My best was a 12.23 @ 112mph w/ 1.88 60'. This prototype TC flashes at exactly 3500rpm on the launch. So my 60' is similar to the 3600 stall OEM Edge unit with the weather conditions being equal. And my trap is about the same I THINK. I expected this prototype TC to give me a higher trap speed. But, I did run on a different track with a different timing system. So I can't accurately compare my times. I will have to wait until the Kinston Drag Strip opens again (early Jan hopefully), which is where I ran last when the transmission died. Then I will be able to accurately compare my timeslips and get some accurate numbers on this TC prototype.

It should be much more efficient compared to my old 3600 OE unit. But I won't know for sure until I hit the track again. More testing is needed before we raise the stall on this prototype.

Andre at Edge Racing Converters is positive that this prototype converter is MUCH more efficient than the old 3600 stall using the OE parts. With my power level (~300whp), the only way to get the OE unit to stall above 3K is to take some efficiency out of it and sacrifice a little top end HP. But with this new prototype, it is set pretty neutral and we have the ability to raise or lower the stall by more than 1500 rpm in either direction without losing any efficiency! So once I have some more accurate numbers for Edge, they will be able to tweak this prototype unit to give me the 4500+ stall I need to wake my car up! And my trap speed should stay the same, which is a big deal with talking about a stall this high!

Also, on the 2nd to the last pass of the day, I noticed a slight misfire during the 2-3 shift. Then on the last pass of the day, it misfired again on the 2-3 shift, but once I was fully in 3rd gear, it continued to misfire! So I backed out of the throttle just before the traps and put it on the trailer. I pulled a crank position sensor code. Also, my copper spark plugs may need to be changed as well. And all my coil packs are brand new this year. I hope to get to the bottom of this misfire real soon though. Can't have none of that.

I hope to have a new NWP video uploaded within the next week from the footage we got Sunday.

Here's a pic that the track photographer shot:

Old 12-17-2013, 01:25 PM

In for the video!
Great news overall.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 PM

Good numbers there. Glad to see the new TC is working out.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks guys. Upon further analysis of my track times, I have come to the conclusion that this new Edge prototype TC increased my trap speed by about 1.5mph with all things being equal!

I crunched some more numbers with how the weather effects my traps and how having a 100rpm lower stall effects my 60s. The DA this past Sunday was 324'. The DA on my last two track visits were -1394 and -1126. BIG difference as far as producing HP and having a decent trap speed! Just with weather alone, I am 3 tenths slower.

I can't wait until I can get another chance to run. It probably won't be until after the new year!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys. Upon further analysis of my track times, I have come to the conclusion that this new Edge prototype TC increased my trap speed by about 1.5mph with all things being equal!

I crunched some more numbers with how the weather effects my traps and how having a 100rpm lower stall effects my 60s. The DA this past Sunday was 324'. The DA on my last two track visits were -1394 and -1126. BIG difference as far as producing HP and having a decent trap speed! Just with weather alone, I am 3 tenths slower.

I can't wait until I can get another chance to run. It probably won't be until after the new year!
I'm jealous of your negative DA!
Never been lucky enough to run in those great conditions.

Keep it up with the car! Things are looking good. 11s should be coming soon!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by krazy6
I'm jealous of your negative DA!
Never been lucky enough to run in those great conditions.

Keep it up with the car! Things are looking good. 11s should be coming soon!
Yeah, I've done a lot of racing out west and I never came close to a 0' DA until I came back to the east coast.

Once I can race a couple more times with this converter and take some more notes, we'll be able to tweak this TC one last time and it should be over a 4100 rpm stall where my engine wakes up!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

New NWP video is uploading now! 30 more minutes!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

New video:

Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I went to the track again this weekend! I can't believe the Spring type weather we had. It was 83 degrees yesterday in NC! I ran a couple 12.3s and some 12.4s.

But the greatest thing is that the car ran very consistent once I got it to hook up due to a proper hot burnout. And I was able to get some much needed data for Edge Racing so we know what changes to make with this prototype TC I'm running.

Simply put, it stalled at exactly 3500rpm yesterday, which is the same as my last track visit. I even got the ATF as high as 170 degrees in hopes to see a higher stall, but it still stalled at 3500rpm exactly. So there was a bog on the launch since my engine doesn't make any usable HP until 4100rpm.

But the good news is that I confirmed that my trap speed did increase by 1.5mph compared to my last prototype we were goofing around with. We both knew that one was going to hurt my traps and it did. But I still wanted to give it a shot and see how my car reacted.

So now that we have confirmed that my trap speed is back to where it should be, we can now tweak this converter and add 600+ stall to it to get me over the 4100rpm mark! And all that stall can be accomplished without hurting my trap speed at all. It should be just as efficient as the 3K stall hopefully and stall over 4100rpm.

So I am going to get busy with removing this prototype TC that's in my car and send it back to Edge to be rebuilt. I should have it back sometime in early Jan.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 AM

I went to the track again this weekend! I can't believe the Spring type weather we had. It was 83 degrees yesterday in NC! I ran a couple 12.3s and some 12.4s.

But the greatest thing is that the car ran very consistent once I got it to hook up due to a proper hot burnout. And I was able to get some much needed data for Edge Racing so we know what changes to make with this prototype TC I'm running.

Simply put, it stalled at exactly 3500rpm yesterday, which is the same as my last track visit. I even got the ATF as high as 170 degrees in hopes to see a higher stall, but it still stalled at 3500rpm exactly. So there was a bog on the launch since my engine doesn't make any usable HP until 4100rpm.

But the good news is that I confirmed that my trap speed did increase by 1.5mph compared to my last prototype we were goofing around with. We both knew that one was going to hurt my traps and it did. But I still wanted to give it a shot and see how my car reacted.

So now that we have confirmed that my trap speed is back to where it should be, we can now tweak this converter and add 600+ stall to it to get me over the 4100rpm mark! And all that stall can be accomplished without hurting my trap speed at all. It should be just as efficient as the 3K stall hopefully and stall over 4100rpm.

So I am going to get busy with removing this prototype TC that's in my car and send it back to Edge to be rebuilt. I should have it back sometime in early Jan.
That sounds good! It's so good to see you pioneering this for us and keeping us updated with the results.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Another video from NWP at a Test and Tune this past Sunday at Coastal Plains Dragway in Jacksonville, NC.

The Edge prototype converter stalled at 3500 exactly. Now we know what changes will be made to the next prototype. We're hoping to see over 4100rpm of stall on the launch without hurting our trap speeds.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

That sounds good! It's so good to see you pioneering this for us and keeping us updated with the results.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread