All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Re-strating issues when travelling short distance

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re-strating issues when travelling short distance

Since the weather has gotten cold outside I have had issues when driving a short distance. For example the car will start fine once sitting, if I drive just to the gas station, the car give problems starting up again. This doesn't happen if I drive a longer distance or the car sits for awhile. This hasn't happen before getting the Greddy EU and cammed DEK done. Any idea's?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 AM
3.5 in the works

So it starts fine if it's stone cold, and if it's fully warm, but not when it's an in-between engine temperature?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
So it starts fine if it's stone cold, and if it's fully warm, but not when it's an in-between engine temperature?
Exactly. I would even say the motor is fully warmed up at times but it seem's like the motor wants to be driven hard (not that I mind lol) since local city stop and goes give re-starting issues. For example if I did a few grocery runs locally I get starting issues. Yet going to work (50kms including highway) it has no issue.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 PM

check your grounds and battery, i had same symptoms. i found if i left the car off for a while after stopping (long trips, to work etc.) that i didn't have a problem starting up again, however if i drove to the petrol station or just to the shops i always had problems.. To fix i replaced the battery and fixed the grounds.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by TDotMax
Exactly. I would even say the motor is fully warmed up at times but it seem's like the motor wants to be driven hard (not that I mind lol) since local city stop and goes give re-starting issues. For example if I did a few grocery runs locally I get starting issues. Yet going to work (50kms including highway) it has no issue.
It never hurts to check grounds... Might also want to check the Water Temp Fuel map in the EU... and compare with what the datalogger is saying the coolant temp is when it's a hard start... you may need to make adjustments there...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
It never hurts to check grounds... Might also want to check the Water Temp Fuel map in the EU... and compare with what the datalogger is saying the coolant temp is when it's a hard start... you may need to make adjustments there...
I'll check that. Today I did a quick stop off and when trying to start it I noticed a strong smell of gas. Cranking etc is fine. Is it possibly the fuel filter being clogged or something?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by TDotMax
I'll check that. Today I did a quick stop off and when trying to start it I noticed a strong smell of gas. Cranking etc is fine. Is it possibly the fuel filter being clogged or something?
Strong smell of gas you either have too much fuel pulsed (tune it out with the EU) or you may have something else like a leaking/sticking injector, or possibly too much fuel pressure, but in that case it wouldn't likely be so temperature related...

And are you pulling any codes (especially coolant temp sensor)?

Last edited by DandyMax; 01-12-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 AM

I just did some research and my symptoms are on par with coolant temp sensor issues. Since its like a $30 part and easy fix I'll change that out and see. I've had a CEL since the swap which was the cam sensor and just never cleared it so this code could have popped up as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I doubt it's EU related as I checked everything last night and it looked fine since we did the tune.