All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Breakout Box (BOB Box) for 88' Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 04:57 PM

Question Breakout Box (BOB Box) for 88' Maxima

Hi!
I have been looking for a Breakout Box (BOB Box) with the right adapter cable for my 88' Maxima but so far I am out of luck.

Do you guys know if there was one ever made for 88' Maxima?

If I won't be able to find one soon, I might build one for myself from a ECCS unit and a cable harness set from the junkyard, I am just trying to avoid 150 soldering (3x51 pins), if there is a way.

I'd appreciate any help.

Geza
Old 05-30-2009 | 12:20 PM
No more Maximas...

A 'breakout box' meaning something like this?

For what purpose?
Old 05-30-2009 | 04:46 PM

Well, the one on your picture is for cars that have OBD2 socket under the dashboard.

The one that I have in mind has two sets of cables and you hook it up BETWEEN the ECU and the harness that normally is plugged in the ECU.
(see picture and another link for details on the bottom of this message.)

You can use it in two different way:

1. While the engine is running or even better during driving the car, you can continuously monitor voltage in any circuit between the ECU and the engine sensors and injectors with a DVM or an Oscilloscope.

2. By having the ECU disconnected from the breakout box, you can check and measure continuity and resistance between any engine sensor or injectors and the ECU without fumbling with the ECU harness under the passenger seat or the dashboard, not even mentioning disconnecting sensor or injector harnesses under the hood for the same purpose - by sitting in the driver's seat.

88' Maxima doesn't have an OBD2 socket, and the red and green LEDs of the ECU cannot inform you about corroded sensor or injector harnesses or other problems.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/cartools/...box-625-d.html
Old 05-30-2009 | 05:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Geza
Well, the one on your picture is for cars that have OBD2 socket under the dashboard.

The one that I have in mind has two sets of cables and you hook it up BETWEEN the ECU and the harness that normally is plugged in the ECU.
(see picture and another link for details on the bottom of this message.)

You can use it in two different way:

1. While the engine is running or even better during driving the car, you can continuously monitor voltage in any circuit between the ECU and the engine sensors and injectors with a DVM or an Oscilloscope.

2. By having the ECU disconnected from the breakout box, you can check and measure continuity and resistance between any engine sensor or injectors and the ECU without fumbling with the ECU harness under the passenger seat or the dashboard, not even mentioning disconnecting sensor or injector harnesses under the hood for the same purpose - by sitting in the driver's seat.

88' Maxima doesn't have an OBD2 socket, and the red and green LEDs of the ECU cannot inform you about corroded sensor or injector harnesses or other problems.
I know, I was using it as an example (hence the 'like').

I don't know if the VG ECU harness connector form factor is the same between all different models, if so there may very well be one set up for the Z31.

It's likely to be costly, or take quite a while to make if you have to make one yourself. Do you really need to do in-depth diagnostics that often?

I wouldn't even bother with it, personally. But, to each their own, I guess.