All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

EMU-96 to 2k3 swap-Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010 | 07:04 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

EMU-96 to 2k3 swap-Possible?

Im on the fence currently to where im looking at tuning options. As I will be in california in july i am working to get technosquare to just do a custom map using the z33 maps they currently use and hopefully make adjustments for a 3 inch maf and intake so that I dont have to piggyback a afcII as well.

In looking in the classifieds today ive come across an ultimate with a patch cable for the 96....is it possible to swap pins for a 2k3 to get this to work, as I know that the one person making these prior is no longer offering the service....

1-is it possible for me to utilize this unit with an 03?
2-is it possible to use this patch cable and just adjust pinouts to work?
3-should i just stick with the ts flash?

im pretty much set on power mods once this is complete so i know this would offer better tunability, but i dont intend to dig deep into this one...going to focus on my old school so just want this as seamless as possible.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:20 AM

EMU doesn't cooperate with the 5.5 gen ECUs very well.

I don't think it's possible to swap the pins over from 5.5 to 4th either. There are more pins on a 5.5 ECU than on a 4th gen.
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:45 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

i knew that the blue was an issue but was unsure if they overcame that with the ultimate...alright guess that isnt an option then, ill stick with the route of getting the ts in july. thank you.
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:55 AM

The Blue doesn't have issues, the Ultimate does, it's unable to correctly read ignition from the 5.5 gen coilpacks.

Yep!
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:42 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

im backwards as hell...alright gonna get back in and start researching again...when i get to kandahar i have a faster connection, it bogs here bad. thanks moncef.
ill look at the cost of a blue and the other two used in conjunction and ease of tuning as the final analysis for purchase. thx.
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
im backwards as hell...alright gonna get back in and start researching again...when i get to kandahar i have a faster connection, it bogs here bad. thanks moncef.
ill look at the cost of a blue and the other two used in conjunction and ease of tuning as the final analysis for purchase. thx.
One suggestion I have is that you get a Technosquare F-spec flash (Z33 VTC maps, raised rev limiter, etc), then get a VAFC2 or SAFC2 which will compensate for the larger MAF housing you want to use.

Also if you want more ignition timing you can install 350Z injectors and retune the car using the AFC unit. The reason for this is because when you lean out an AFC, it indirectly adds timing, so the Z injectors will make the car run richer, you pull more fuel to get to your target AFR, and then inherit more ignition timing and power from that.
Old 05-24-2010 | 01:03 AM

if you get a TS ecu, just make sure you go there and have them set up the map with a dyno tune, youll get better results
Old 05-24-2010 | 06:08 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Gemner
if you get a TS ecu, just make sure you go there and have them set up the map with a dyno tune, youll get better results
Kind of a pain if you're 500+ miles away, but he might be closer to them than me, i.e. he will be in CA. That would make the TS p;rice far more attractive if they made it compatible w/ a 3" MAF housing. Only problem is, you can't go back, not sure why you would want to but, it's sorta locks you into it a bit more permanently than say a SAFCII does, where that setting can be changed in seconds.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
One suggestion I have is that you get a Technosquare F-spec flash (Z33 VTC maps, raised rev limiter, etc), then get a VAFC2 or SAFC2 which will compensate for the larger MAF housing you want to use.

Also if you want more ignition timing you can install 350Z injectors and retune the car using the AFC unit. The reason for this is because when you lean out an AFC, it indirectly adds timing, so the Z injectors will make the car run richer, you pull more fuel to get to your target AFR, and then inherit more ignition timing and power from that.
This is exactly as I've done. Not a bad combo, but quite expensive, and a UTEC could do the same minus the cam timing and still leave me with more 'tuneability', i.e. direct control over IGN timing, vs raw/indirect 'control' and be about the same price.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-24-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2010 | 01:59 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
One suggestion I have is that you get a Technosquare F-spec ...pull more fuel to get to your target AFR, and then inherit more ignition timing and power from that.
Moncef-Im trying to do that. According to the receptionist they no longer offer for the 2k3. I have to call back on thursday. Im looking at having knight knock out an intergrated maf/intake in three inch with the ts tuned directly for it. Im still in afghanistan but for the first two weeks of my leave im going to be forty miles away from ts. Figure that takes away the need for the afc, and simplifies the tuning aspect.

NMexKind of a pain if you're 500+ miles away, but he might be closer to them than me, i.e. he will be in CA. That would make the TS p;rice far more attractive if they made it compatible w/ a 3" MAF housing. Only problem is, you can't go back, not sure why you would want to but, it's sorta locks you into it a bit more permanently than say a SAFCII does, where that setting can be changed in seconds.

Im going to be thirty minutes away from them for about two weeks of my leave. Im workin on it, but the lady wasnt....very user friendly and remembering i was paying international on the call i went ahead and called it a day. I know i cant go back but i figure itll be a pretty level/even tune as ill be pretty much done with the max and can start on the 64 for more power. this is my daily and with all of the stereo shyza im not expecting 10s, just want it dependable.

NMexThis is exactly as I've done. Not a bad combo, but quite expensive, and a UTEC could do the same minus the cam timing and still leave me with more 'tuneability', i.e. direct control over IGN timing, vs raw/indirect 'control' and be about the same price.

thing is im back and forth (3rd year overseas,and i dont want to take any chances) when i leave the car that ANYONE can mess around and cause me a bigger headache through playing around. if theres nothing to touch, nthing to touch. I ran into that when my cousin borrowed my 4th gen when i was in korea and he blew up my 2 tdx's...
i figured id be able to extract about the same amount of power through this combo out of the box? not so? so i take it you recommmend the utec? would prefer a patch cable setup, but i know those are NO LONGER available...sooooo....should ease of install be considered?
Old 05-26-2010 | 06:50 AM

UTEC offers maximum control for a piggyback for 5.5 gen applications. PM SurraTT and see if he's willing to make a one-off patch harness for you. Last I heard he still has a lot of spare connectors layin around.

You can't change cam timing on the UTEC but if you really wanted to you could look into GReddy v-Manage.
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

BUT,

Following this guys threads, it seems he’s looking for a little more ease of install vs actually spending the T&E to tune it. I say if you can get TS to apply a correction factor re: 3” MAF, I’d do that.
Old 05-29-2010 | 05:38 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

NMEx pretty much hit it on the head. I redeploy home in a week, and ive already got my date for return to afghanistan :/
just want something that i wont have to monkey around with TOO much, worry about anyone messing around with and can set and forget. ON my four cyl N/A it was easy we swapped injectors and used the sohc ecu to control the DOHC and it magically worked with an safc. Map sensor and about 6700 in the motor and i was good all day.
Switching to something...for lack of a better word, Foreign in contrast to my Chrysler Turbo 2.5 and 2.4 Swap days...its hectic, and the nets so slow its hard to stay connected.

Im bidding on two utecs and have a line on a E Manage blue with all cablin and software for 300 shipped. Im holding to the UTEC for the moment but if either doesnt get a win, ill go with the EB and thug it out.
. Im allotin 600 for the piggyback whichever it may be. Ill contact surra and if hes willing to knock out a cable, ive got 1300 set off to the side for tuning....Really was leaning toward dumping that on my 64 for a disc brake upgrade instead of drums, but thats a long term project and i guess i can do that at anypoint. As well ill try TS one more time if i dont win the auction on the UTEC. And if the guy doesnt respond by tuesday ill wait till leave and just show up there i guess. Ill be in IE for 16 days.
Thanks fellas....