All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

cardana24's 3.5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by cardana24
Okay. So when doing the enlarging for the HR head gaskets, do you do the mod to both sides of the block? I did not see any mention of this, but I see that from the water pump there is a passage that goes up to either side of the engine? So do I enlarge both sides.

Also, I bought a rev up oil pump....I am guessing I cannot use this because of the timing chain difference. Is everyone that is doing the hybrid swap just running the vq30 oil pump? Do I have any options on the oil pump?
Yes, both sides - sorry I wasn't clear on that - when you look at the open block, it's obvious.

I used a new Revup oil pump - it fits right in there. I soaked mine in oil for a few days.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I reused the stock 3.5 pump that came with the motor but from the looks of the build and depending on how high you plan to rev it may not be the best option but it does work. Just swap the crank sprokets
oh, okay. I will keep the rev up pump then. I did not know you could just swap the sprockets. Any special tool to take the sprockets off (I know this may be a stupid question but I am not close to my engine)?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

oh, okay. I will keep the rev up pump then. I did not know you could just swap the sprockets. Any special tool to take the sprockets off (I know this may be a stupid question but I am not close to my engine)?
? The sprocket sits on the crank, and it just slides off. Hummm.. which sprockets are you talking about? Just the crank sprocket?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by grey99max
? The sprocket sits on the crank, and it just slides off. Hummm.. which sprockets are you talking about? Just the crank sprocket?
Like I said, it may be a stupid question since I am not close to the engine. Yes I am just talking about the crank sprocket.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Blown

I still need to order a thermostat and water pump. Are the guys that are doing the hybrid swap just using stock 4th gen stuff for both of these?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I still need to order a thermostat and water pump. Are the guys that are doing the hybrid swap just using stock 4th gen stuff for both of these?
The water pump needs to be a stock 3.0 part so the chains work, but you can use 350Z thermostats or a Mishimoto 62*C thermostat(my choice). You just gotta block off the pipe for the oil cooler. I put a bolt in the pipe and soldered it in place with a propane torch and acid core solder.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Blown

The water pump needs to be a stock 3.0 part so the chains work, but you can use 350Z thermostats or a Mishimoto 62*C thermostat(my choice). You just gotta block off the pipe for the oil cooler. I put a bolt in the pipe and soldered it in place with a propane torch and acid core solder.
does the 350Z thermostat require an modification to fit other than blocking the oil cooler?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

does the 350Z thermostat require an modification to fit other than blocking the oil cooler?
It bolts right onto the 3.5 block - the FWD and RWD blocks take the same one. You just need to block that extra water hose outlet. I picked the cooler thermostat because - well, it's cooler.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Still kickin'

You can use the stock plug in your 3.0 when you remove it from the car to block the oil cooler/heater hole, it bolts right in.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Blown

I was able to enlarge the H20 passages tonight, and I started putting the heads back together. I put all of the valve stem seals on and I started checking my valve springs, they all have green paint marks on them. I am looking at the fsm for the 2006 maxima and it says that the valve springs have different paint marks on them for the intake and exhaust springs. Blue for intake and White for exhaust. What gives? I am going to google to see what I can find out, but I was hoping someone would know here.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Blown

I called my parts guy and the valve springs are the same for the exhaust and intake. What about the valve locks? Do I need new ones when using the HR springs, or should I just re use my old ones? I did not order new ones with my initial parts order, so I am wondering what you guys have done in the past.

Here is the part I am talking about. I have always called them keepers. http://www.courtesyparts.com/13210-c...8-p-17001.html

Last edited by cardana24; 09-17-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Blown

here are a few pictures off how I altered the coolant path for the HR head gaskets. I used a dremel metal cutting bit for the vertical cuts and then I ground down a dremel cutting disc to make the horizonal cut at the bottom. Once I cut as much as I felt needed to be cut I snapped the peice off with a pair of needle nose vise grips.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Looking good, try to smooth it out a little bit and also get it as wide as the top. you want it to flow as much as possible.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Looking good, try to smooth it out a little bit and also get it as wide as the top. you want it to flow as much as possible.
I will grind it down some more over the weekend. The dremel cutting bits really work well. I only have about 15 minutes invested in doing both sides so far.

I was hoping to have the heads put back together this weekend, but it looks like that is going to have to wait since I don't have new keepers yet. Oh well, I guess I will just be cleaning everthing really well this weekend.

Anyone have a secret sauce write up? I could do that while I have some extra time too.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Looks like you hit the piston a little.

Briefly read through this thread. Looks like the swap is coming a long pretty quickly. Good job.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by tuko316
Looks like you hit the piston a little.

Briefly read through this thread. Looks like the swap is coming a long pretty quickly. Good job.
You mean the cylinder wall/sleeve? thats nothing, look what I did to mine
Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 PM

edit: Doh, I see what streetz is talking about now. In one of the pics, it looks like the cylinder wall is a part of piston.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 09-17-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
edit: Doh, I see what streetz is talking about now. In one of the pics, it looks like the cylinder wall is a part of piston.
#1 is all the way up so that is why it may look that way. Like streetz said, I did not hit the piston, but I may have touched the outside of the cylinder wall a few times.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:41 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

#1 is all the way up so that is why it may look that way. Like streetz said, I did not hit the piston, but I may have touched the outside of the cylinder wall a few times.
Trust me, that happens a lot.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Blown

Trust me, that happens a lot.
yeah, I am not worried about it. I have to really hit it that much anyway. On cylinder 1 it looks worse than it is because of the dried up coolant stains on the outside of the wall. The only place I hit that one was right up on the top edge.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM

I was hoping to have the heads put back together this weekend, but it looks like that is going to have to wait since I don't have new keepers yet. Oh well, I guess I will just be cleaning everthing really well this weekend.
Don't forget to chase the head threads after they seem clean.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
what should I use to do that?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM

YES!! very important! however I dont know how to do this or what tool to use lol. I assume you just use a tap with some oil on it to get the debree out. I didnt remember to clean out the threads so in one of them the head bolt didnt have the same resistance as the others, it was too late to start over so i just left it, so far so good
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
YES!! very important! however I dont know how to do this or what tool to use lol. I assume you just use a tap with some oil on it to get the debree out. I didnt remember to clean out the threads so in one of them the head bolt didnt have the same resistance as the others, it was too late to start over so i just left it, so far so good
FWIW, there are special "chaser" taps made for cleaning up both holes and bolts. They are best found in sets - which I found on eBay. It's also a good idea to clean out all the bolt holes for the timing covers and lower oil pan and lower-end girdle and head bolts. That's where a "chaser" tap really pays off, since you can clean the RTV and assorted crap out of all those holes and not take metal off the existing threads. I did this on both 3.5s i have put together, and all those ARP studs went right in.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM

SUBSCRIBED!!! Thanks for taking the time to list everything you've done to this point...
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Blown

FWIW, there are special "chaser" taps made for cleaning up both holes and bolts. They are best found in sets - which I found on eBay. It's also a good idea to clean out all the bolt holes for the timing covers and lower oil pan and lower-end girdle and head bolts. That's where a "chaser" tap really pays off, since you can clean the RTV and assorted crap out of all those holes and not take metal off the existing threads. I did this on both 3.5s i have put together, and all those ARP studs went right in.
can you post a link of a set you suggest? The rest of my nissan parts came in today so I hope to make some progress soon.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:23 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

can you post a link of a set you suggest? The rest of my nissan parts came in today so I hope to make some progress soon.
OK - Let's see.. Sears: http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-48-...er-Kit-reviews

Tool Warehouse: http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/KAS-972.html

eBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3718&viewitem=

A Google search for "tap set metric chaser" will lead you to others. These taps come in very handy.

Last edited by grey99max; 09-21-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Even a stock bolt, then magnet, and compressed air is better than nothing. Haven't tried it, but I've heard of people grinding down opposing sides of a stock bolt (to scoop debris), running it through a die a few times to debur and using that. Just don't force anything and blow it out real well and it should be fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Even a stock bolt, then magnet, and compressed air is better than nothing. Haven't tried it, but I've heard of people grinding down opposing sides of a stock bolt (to scoop debris), running it through a die a few times to debur and using that. Just don't force anything and blow it out real well and it should be fine.
OK, but remember that all of these threaded holes are aluminum. It doesn't take much to screw up the threads. Chaser taps are much safer - but it's your engine. Personally, I spray down the tap with WD-40 before using and wipe it with a cloth - first, before sticking anything in a hole. Then, wipe off the tap as you use it.

Don't ask me why I'm so **** about doing this carefully.....

Last edited by grey99max; 09-21-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Blown

OK - Let's see.. Sears: http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-48-...er-Kit-reviews

Tool Warehouse: http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/KAS-972.html

eBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3718&viewitem=

A Google search for "tap set metric chaser" will lead you to others. These taps come in very handy.
I ordered the Craftsman one. Thanks for the links.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Just wondering how things were going with your swap. Even though I predicted you would finish yours before me, I got the last few pieces in this weekend and was able to start her on Sunday. It was good to hear her run again. It's still not totally finished. I have to work out something to connect the EGR tube to the intake manifold (I got an '04 engine as well) and I have an air leak which seems to be coming from the throttle body adapter plates.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by 98MistSE
Just wondering how things were going with your swap. Even though I predicted you would finish yours before me, I got the last few pieces in this weekend and was able to start her on Sunday. It was good to hear her run again. It's still not totally finished. I have to work out something to connect the EGR tube to the intake manifold (I got an '04 engine as well) and I have an air leak which seems to be coming from the throttle body adapter plates.
I was out of town over the weekend, and have not had much free time lately. I hope to do a little work tonight. Really no progress to report right now. My thread tap/die kit came in so I can clean my threads now, so I can start doing that and putting my heads back together. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance to do some work.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Blown

Made a little progress tonight, I put in the HR valve springs, retainers, and keepers. I used the snap on tool pictured between the two heads. Great tool!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Turbo 3.5

Are you planning to cleanup the castings on the heads or knife edge the exhaust
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Blown

Are you planning to cleanup the castings on the heads or knife edge the exhaust
no I was not planning on doing any head altering/work. Are there any proven gains from doing it?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Turbo 3.5

no I was not planning on doing any head altering/work. Are there any proven gains from doing it?
if two setups are the same it could be the reason why one makes more hp than the other, if done right or it could be the reason why that setup makes less if done wrong.

I have no idea work your skill level is or what your plans are with the motor and was just asking
Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Blown

which oil baffle do I use? I am going to use the 3.0 upper and lower pan. I took the one off of the 3.5 that was bolted to the bottom of the crank cage (don't know the proper name for this). On the 3.0 the baffle is bolted to the upper pan rather than the crank cage. Should I leave the baffle on the 3.0 upper pan, or do I need to take that one off and and bolt the 3.5 baffle back to the crank cage?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Turbo 3.5

which oil baffle do I use? I am going to use the 3.0 upper and lower pan. I took the one off of the 3.5 that was bolted to the bottom of the crank cage (don't know the proper name for this). On the 3.0 the baffle is bolted to the upper pan rather than the crank cage. Should I leave the baffle on the 3.0 upper pan, or do I need to take that one off and and bolt the 3.5 baffle back to the crank cage?
I just bolted the 3.0 upper and lower right on. The only problem you'll have is if you installed aftermarket rod bolts
Old 10-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Blown

I just bolted the 3.0 upper and lower right on. The only problem you'll have is if you installed aftermarket rod bolts
Okay, please explain the trouble? I have arp rod bolts installed.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Turbo 3.5

Okay, please explain the trouble? I have arp rod bolts installed.
when you put the oil upper pan back on they hit the baffle, if you look at streetz build thread I think he has some pic's

but long story short you'll have to clearnace the baffle

Quick Reply: cardana24's 3.5 swap