All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

5.5 gen + UpRev Osiris = ECU swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM

^I googled the numbers off your pics. Looks like both are a pretty generic part for Nissan, so junkyard diving might be the best solution.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

So, I thought I had a super-amazing solution to the APP sensor issue today.
I called the Nissan dealership, and talked to the parts guy (really cool, and willing to chat about car stuff) and told him about this project.
I thought maybe, just maybe, because the x-trail uses the same sensor as the Z (as per various google searches) that the frontier would have it to.
Asked the parts guy, and he said the Frontier did indeed have an electronic accelerator pedal.
He looked up the price and it was $55 brand new for the entire pedal assembly including sensor! I was very happy about that!
Then, I checked mynissanparts.com and found it for $30!!! Oh joy of joys! Could it be, that I had found a compatible sensor for this cheap!?!?

...... of course not
I found a pic of it online, and the plug and entire build of the sensor portion is completely different.
So much for that.

I did however look at 350Z pedals, and it looks like the entire assembly will bolt in on the G35Sedan, and it's a MUCH nicer pedal (metal vs plastic) and they can be had used for under $100.

Also found out that some Nissan forklifts use the same sensor, and that the sensor only is available online, though it's kinda pricy: http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/18919-am810.htm

If someone wanted to talk to various Nissan forklift dealers/shops, it might be found cheaper, IDK.

Anyway. I also went through the first post, and I'm trying to identify what will and won't be an issue with the G vs the Maxima.

18 Sends Coolant Temp to gauge cluster as 0-12 volts
- Pin isn't listed in the G's FSM. Non-issue?

21 Controls the AC Relay
- Pin isn't listed in the G's FSM. Non-issue? (Most likely BCM, most of the stuff on the G is)

24 and 24 are for Cruise control LAMPS CRUISE AND SET
- Pin isn't listed in the G's FSM. Non-issue? (Again, I'm betting BCM)

30 AC Cut signal

33 MIL (check engine light)
- Same on the G.

34 Tachometer output to gauge cluster

35 Cooling fan low
- Pin isn't listed in the G's FSM. Non-issue? (Also, the early G has a manual clutch fan, and one electric fan for the AC, that's likely controlled from the BCM)

36 Cooling fan high
- Pin isn't listed in the G's FSM. Non-issue? (See above)

45 AC Swith signal

64 APP sensor 2 power supply 2.5v
- Same on the G.

68 Vehicle speed sensor
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Haha ya some of the other cars that use 5v as both supply are made different, like the 04 maxima its just totally different. The actual sensor is built into the pedal, so thats why i think you cant buy just the app sensor from the 350z technically its not built into it but they sell it like it is.

Mil and APP sensor are the only probs for the G. Mil is a gauge cluster thing, since it does have CAN lines, its possible that the newer ecu since it does light up the mil over can, it possibly might light up the mil on the early g's. BUT its possible the mil wont work, and that woudl be the clusters fault, this could really put a hurt on the G ecu swap. Even tho swaping to a later 03/ 04 cluster would probably be very easy, its the point of having to buy one, and the mileage being different.

the APP sensor is a definite need to change.

Other than that, on the G id liek to see if NATS could be fully functional.

Lets try and keep this 5.5 gen maxima only tho. as it can get very confusing, and adding different cars to this thread will really add to the confusion.

In then end its all going to depend on how well this all works, Having all of the issues on a 5.5 max are a little bit much. I'm doing this swap because it hasn't been done before and im wanting to see how it is. In the end it might be better to get a haltech and use a patch harness to wire it in.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

^Ok.

So where are you at with the project right now? Still waiting on that ECU to come in?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Waiting on ECU, and hopefully its the same ROM file that ive had b4 otherwise ill have to email uprev and get a new rom.

I hooked up the sentra cluster, few lil issues with that, probably just wiring, the FSM SUCKS at telling what pin is what wire!!! My ambient air sensor isent working right, showing the wrong temp, and the brake light dont turn off when handbrake is down.

Main thing im interested in with the cluster is, the SPEEDO and TACH. IF the TACH dont work, then the sentra cluster will have to be ditched no point in not having a tach that dont work or isent displaying the right rpm. And im not sure what ill do if that happens.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 PM

So when you are done with this, can you work on doing it for a 4th gen
FWIW Evo guys are using a tactrix cable if that helps any
http://www.tactrix.com/
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gamble
So when you are done with this, can you work on doing it for a 4th gen
FWIW Evo guys are using a tactrix cable if that helps any
http://www.tactrix.com/
Click the link I posted on the first page.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Done some testing!

Well i did get a 03 350z ecu (or so i was led to) It has a weird ROM number, not one that i see on UpRev's sheet, so i decided to hook up the 04 maxima ecu JUST to test some things out. I hooked the ecu up with no o2 sensors. So i dont think i can rev the motor or drive the car.

So that being said, the car DID crank up, and the Sentra Gauge cluster WORKS!!!!!!

Rpm seemed to be DEAD ON with the ECU. This is GREAT!

So this means even though i have a 4cyl gauge cluster, it reads RPM over CAN lines. Thus the VQ35 RPM displays correct. Now i didnt rev it so im not sure if it "jumps" or anything like that, im going to do more testing soon.

Last edited by SurraTT; 01-26-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

[youtube ] [ /youtube]

without the spaces... and only the video identifier between the brackets. such as sykQX7K-G5Q
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Congrats!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by sparks03max
[youtube ] [ /youtube]

without the spaces... and only the video identifier between the brackets. such as sykQX7K-G5Q

got it thx!

Originally Posted by krazy6
Congrats!
thx!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

also i noticed when the motor was running the BRAKE light works just fine!!!

so soon as i cranked the motor the brake light turned off, then i pulled the e brake up and it turned on. I need to confirm this is correct function. I thought it should turn off if the e brake is down even with motor not running.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
also i noticed when the motor was running the BRAKE light works just fine!!!

so soon as i cranked the motor the brake light turned off, then i pulled the e brake up and it turned on. I need to confirm this is correct function. I thought it should turn off if the e brake is down even with motor not running.
Sounds like the correct function to me. I think all of ours do that
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Sounds like the correct function to me. I think all of ours do that
it is!!! i checked on the stock 5.5 auto here.

sweeet!!!

new vid uploading now, got it to rev ! and i drove it around!

edit streetz i left u iTrader over on my350z forums
Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Just got it reving , seems to run decent with no o2's hahahah

I drove the car just down the road (not far cuz ive got 2 low tires, expired tags, all kinds of parts off the car) + the motor is on its last leg will be droping a new motor very soon!!

Some notes, Tach is 100% just fine working GREAT! IM GLAD thats done with!

The speedometer WORKS!!!!!!!!! It Displayed 20mph seemed accurate. In osiris, i could see speed sensor voltage moving, the only thing that is not right is the vehicle speed stayed at 0. Im not sure why cuz it showed speed sensor voltage. This could be a problem with Cruise Control.

Other than the ecu not displaying a vehicle speed im VERY happy with today's test!

Here is a good vid, (flash on) you can easily see the TACH working good. And the brake light working correct.

Last edited by SurraTT; 01-26-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Also i forgot but the new APP sensor is obviosuly working GREAT! Success!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM

This is cool man, I wish I had the opportunity to hook up such EMS on mine.

btw, thanks, also left you ITrader rating. +
Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
This is cool man, I wish I had the opportunity to hook up such EMS on mine.

btw, thanks, also left you ITrader rating. +

haha, 4th gen + 3.5 + black connector ecu+ osiris = EPIC

yay we now both have 2 itrader on Z forums haha
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM

This is great news!

You should copy your post over on G35Driver too. Show the non-believers what you've accomplished!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by NFSP G35
This is great news!

You should copy your post over on G35Driver too. Show the non-believers what you've accomplished!
Hahah, i will eventually make a thread over there. Just wanting to get further on this project first.

Im dreading tacking the A/C issue. You early g's dont even have to mess with it!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM

^Yeah. That would kinda suck.
I'm sure someone somewhere makes a generic A/C controller, like for old muscle car re-builds and whatnot. Maybe you could go that route?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i think its just a matter of grounding certain switches, n so fourth. Im not tooo worried about it really.

Main thing now is, why the ecu had speed sensor voltage, but didnt show a vehicle speed...

because i DO WANT working cruise control haha
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM

^Ha ha! Good luck with that.
IDK about the Maxima, but the G's cruise is somewhat finicky.

Maybe the number of teeth on the VSS or possibly the entire design of the VSS is different on the FWD transmission vs the RWD one?
Also, I know the BCM is fairly heavily involved in that stuff, so I'm not sure if that's a problem.

As for the speedometer, it could be getting it's input from elsewhere, such as the wheel speed sensors.
That's the case with the 350Z and G35's (all of them)
If you change the final drive ratio, the speedometer doesn't change at all, because it's reading off the rear wheel speed sensors.
However, you can get into an issue with the cruise disabling itself because the computer picks up on the difference in ratio between the VSS and the WSS from the ratio it expects.

How easy is it to locate the VSS wires?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 AM

Awesome news. Glad to see this project heading in the right direction.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

So the 2004 Maxima ecu:

The ECM receives two vehicle speed sensor signals via CAN communication line. One is sent from “unified
meter and A/C amp.” and the other is from TCM (Transmission control module). The ECM uses these signals
for ASCD control.

Ive only got 1 speed signal, thats from the gauge cluster. It works fine. BUT the other signal is supposed to come from the TCM. Im not sure if the TCM and ABS unit would go together, because on a 6spd their is no "TCM" Kinda confused there. How do the 6spd 6th gens get their 2ed speed signal from a TCM????

The 5.5 gen gets its ONLY speed signal from the ABS unit, which is a ~5 volt signal. Its one wire from the ABS unit to the gauge cluster, then from the gauge cluster to the ECU. My 5.5 6speed has no CAN lines going to the ecu. While the Automatics have can lines going to the ECU. It also depends on if you have TCS.

I'm going to figure out if the stock ABS unit does have CAN but its just not hooked up. This is going to be a shot in the dark. But you never know. No one has ever tried it that im aware of, so its a 50/50. Even if it does im not sure if it will suffice making the ecu happy on vehicle speed.

Anyone know how the 240 guys swap 3.5s with ecu's??? Is theirs fully functional?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM

So what you are stating is that second signal is strictly for the cruise control?

After looking at the fsm, it looks like there are CAN lines going from the ABS on the 6th gen maxima to the unified meter and A/C amp. Maybe NFSP G35 is right with stating that the signal is sent from the wheel speed sensors and this might explain the missing link on the 6spd equipped vehicles.

Also when you drove the vehicle was your abs light on?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
So what you are stating is that second signal is strictly for the cruise control?

After looking at the fsm, it looks like there are CAN lines going from the ABS on the 6th gen maxima to the unified meter and A/C amp. Maybe NFSP G35 is right with stating that the signal is sent from the wheel speed sensors and this might explain the missing link on the 6spd equipped vehicles.

Also when you drove the vehicle was your abs light on?

Yes i beleive thats why the ECU wasent seeing a vehicle speed, i was reading VSS from the CAN gauge cluster. but the ECU didnt have a vehicle speed.

The 5.5 gen gets it speed from the ABS . But the ABS is not over CAN. thats the problem.

My ABS light was not on. i didnt test it out but i think it was working fine.

Ive came to a better conclusion on how to get this working ina 5.5.

I was trying to do a "standalone" that is swap into 5.5 , 4th, really any car. well thats not so easy. So im going to focus on swapping into 5.5 gen only for now. So that means going back to 5.5 cluster, and using the 5.5 ecu to control those few functions that are messing everything up.

All in all this will be WAY EASIER, and CHEAPER!!! So for 5.5's this swap will be virtually plug and play.

This was originally how i was going to do it! After figuring out the new ecu does not really need speed signal to run the motor correct. The reason it was cutting off at a quick decel was a brake signal.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 AM

So you state that it does not need the speed signal to run the motor but it needs the brake signal? Can you please clarify where it receives the brake signal from?
Then what is the point of the speed signal? Just to show the speed on the cluster?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

So you state that it does not need the speed signal to run the motor but it needs the brake signal? Can you please clarify where it receives the brake signal from?
Then what is the point of the speed signal? Just to show the speed on the cluster?

The brake signals are in the ECU harness.

The speed signal is to show the speed on the cluster, im still looking into making cruise work.

Because even running the maxima ecu and the new ecu cruise will not work correct.

Looks like cruise control is really putting a stop to this swap. Until this swap is figured out more, and more of a standalone swap. Then haltech is really the way to go.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM

Just FYI: If you get this working for the 5.5 it will probably be 100% compatible with the 02-03 Altima which share almost entirely the same wiring/ECU/etc.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM

To be more specific you are talking about the 350z ecu harness right? Just wondering because the only thing that I was able to find were the pin outs for the stop lamp switch and the ascd stop switch.

Anyway what do you think the price difference is between a swap of this nature versus buying a haltech and a harness for it?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

To be more specific you are talking about the 350z ecu harness right? Just wondering because the only thing that I was able to find were the pin outs for the stop lamp switch and the ascd stop switch.

Anyway what do you think the price difference is between a swap of this nature versus buying a haltech and a harness for it?

5.5 gen and 350z have stop lamp switch, and ascd switch.

Im not sure on the price difference.

But since this swap is so involved, and untill more things are sorted out. A haltech with a pnp harness will retain all stock functions, and add full tuning, and optional wideband's, even the racepak dash.

I still think the ecu osiris swap is far better off on the early g's, and that might be the only car its best on.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 AM

So where does the project stand at now out of curiosity?
You put the stock 5.5 gen gauge cluster and ecu back in and are using the patch harness for the 350z only to control the engine? Btw what would you charge for a patch harness for the black connector or even a haltech?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

So where does the project stand at now out of curiosity?
You put the stock 5.5 gen gauge cluster and ecu back in and are using the patch harness for the 350z only to control the engine? Btw what would you charge for a patch harness for the black connector or even a haltech?

I haven't changed anything around yet, i was looking over the FSM and i FOUND A ERROR in the 2002 FSM.

I'm going to try a few more things to get cruise control working with the 350z ecu, i think i might of found something!

I'm shooting to be able to officially open in the Spring. And at that time ill only have 5/5.5 gen grey ecu patch harnesses. Eventually id like to offer different harness.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Well i just tried out cruise control again, no luck.

The last thing im going to try on cruise control is a different ecu.

I need a 03 350z ecu , 6speed, with cruise control ( i think some did not come with cruise)

I beleive this ecu cruise control might work, as it dont have a TCM. In the factory service manual, ASCD (cruise control) says the gauge cluster sends vehicle speed over CAN to the ecu. And the TCM sends power train revolution. On a 6mt their is no tcm, their IS A ABS unit tho. So It verywell could send the ecu abs wheel speed. Only thing i know to do is try it.

I also logged in cipher its VERY VERY nice!

So while the car is running and driving, this swap might be best for racecar type applications or as it stands now if you dont mind no cruise control. Their might be a aftermarket cruise control that would work, but im not interested in that.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

OK so i was wrong. On MT cars the ABS control unit, sends the second speed signal to the ECU.

Looks like Cruise Control is DEF not going to work..

Does anyone know more about the CAN system??? Or how the 240 3.5 swapped guys are doing the swap? ive looked and haven't found much at all.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Cruise control is nice, but not a deal breaker compared to the other benefits for myself. I'm sure there are others out there with the same mindset.

However, looks like I'll just be sticking with the UTEC and Vmanage. Too bad you didn't pioneer this swap a couple of years ago!

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-01-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Cruise control is nice, but not a deal breaker compared to the other benefits for myself. I'm sure there are others out there with the same mindset.

However, looks like I'll just be sticking with the UTEC and Vmanage. Too bad you didn't pioneer this swap a couple of weeks ago!

Thats true, maybe eventually cruise might work, im not sure if Osiris could actually alter it but UpRev could possibly make it work off of one speed signal maybe?

Im going to talk to them and see where they stand on 3.5 ecu swaps, at one time i think i seen them post on a forum wanting to try n swap a 240.

UTEC and Vmanage will be sufficient, IF it was wired into a patch harness it would be even better!

A week ago?? Im not sure what u mean? ive been working on this a long time, i had my car running on a 350z ecu in the summer, but then didnt mess with it for a long while.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
A week ago?? Im not sure what u mean? ive been working on this a long time, i had my car running on a 350z ecu in the summer, but then didnt mess with it for a long while.
Was thinking years, typed weeks.

Quick Reply: 5.5 gen + UpRev Osiris = ECU swap