All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

5.5 gen + UpRev Osiris = ECU swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Was thinking years, typed weeks.
ohh hahah yeah its been a while since that utec was hardwired in!!!

lol remember the tuner!!!!!!!!!! hahahah classic!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 PM

I doubt the guys that do VQ swaps on 240s even care about cruise.

I also doubt UpRev will help you out with the cruise.

There's an issue with the G35 to where if you have one with a 3.3 final drive ratio to a 3.7 or so, it can sometimes throw a code and shut down the cruise because it gets a different reading from the wheel speed vs the vss on the transmission output than what it's expecting.
Anyway, someone asked UpRev about fixing that, and they said there wasn't anything they could do about it (maybe they just weren't willing)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by NFSP G35
I doubt the guys that do VQ swaps on 240s even care about cruise.

I also doubt UpRev will help you out with the cruise.

There's an issue with the G35 to where if you have one with a 3.3 final drive ratio to a 3.7 or so, it can sometimes throw a code and shut down the cruise because it gets a different reading from the wheel speed vs the vss on the transmission output than what it's expecting.
Anyway, someone asked UpRev about fixing that, and they said there wasn't anything they could do about it (maybe they just weren't willing)

haha good point on the 240 swaps! Maybe im placing too much on cruise control??

Yeah ive herd of that, the thing i dont understand is. on the G/Z The only way it gets speed is from the ABS wheel speed sensors. But i see a turbine revolution sensor, i cant find a transmission output sensor. The turbine rev sen is only on autos too. So im not sure how MT get that other signal.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM

^I'm not entirely sure the MT is affected the same way.

I can tell you that the AT's do read off the transmission as well as wheel speed sensor, because the wheel speed sensor is what the speedometer goes off of.
In other words, big change in rear-end gearing doesn't affect the speedometer, but can mess up the cruise. (again, this is on the AT, not sure about the MT.)
Some of the G's don't experience this problem, just not sure which ones.
I can tell you they made significant changes in 04.5 to the transmission computer. That may account for the some work / some don't thing.

Either way...

I was talking about making a unit to falsify the signal coming from the transmission to see if that fixed the cruise issue.
Basically you're getting a series of pulses.
So the circuit would time those pulses, and then generate new pulses based off the change in rear diff ratio.

For example:

3.3 to 3.7 swap -
Unit counts the time between pulses coming from the real sensor, then multiplies the time by .89 (3.3/3.7) then sends that to a timer to generate a new pulse signal on the ecm side.

If we can figure out where the vss signal goes in at, maybe I can build a circuit to either modify the signal, or generate a "perfect" signal using a wss.

When you try and set the cruise, does the light blink? Do you have any codes stored?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ohh ok

I though about that too, thers a dakota digital speed sensor unit. BUT we need a speed signal over CAN lines. Im not sure if i hook up a speed signal to can wires it will work, i dont think can works like that.

When i turn cruise on the cruise light comes on, and the SET blinks.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM

^No. Can doesn't work like that AT ALL.
Don't hook it up like that as you risk damaging either the sensor or the can system (reeeeally don't want to do that)

If you check, I believe you probably have a P1574 code set (will not trigger CEL/SES)

That's the exact behavior that one of the G guys recently experienced after he did the swap. Cruise light on, set light blinks.

Where did you get the information that said that signal needed to come over the can bus?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

^No. Can doesn't work like that AT ALL.
Don't hook it up like that as you risk damaging either the sensor or the can system (reeeeally don't want to do that)

If you check, I believe you probably have a P1574 code set (will not trigger CEL/SES)

That's the exact behavior that one of the G guys recently experienced after he did the swap. Cruise light on, set light blinks.

Where did you get the information that said that signal needed to come over the can bus?

Im def not going to try and hook anythign up to CAN like that! hahah

Actually no i dont have that DTC. I do have P1212 i think, might be P 1211 idk thats ABS/TCM CAN communication.

I got it from the FSM, their is no wire on the ecu thats speed signal/ output speed signal. The signals come from the gauge cluster over can, and from the ABS/TCS over can.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM

^Ah. That might do it.

Yeah, you might be on to something with the AT vs MT thing.
I didn't notice that you have a MT. MT program on the ECM would be best I would think.

If you have more than one ECM, can (or will) Nissan re-flash it for you?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Far as i know the 04 maxima ecu i have is MT.

Its crazy how many different ecu's their are and their is not a good way at all to tell which is which.

I recently got a 03 z ecu off ebay, only to figure out its from a 04 spec v. WOW little off there huh???? Now i gotta go through the whole process of getting my money back.

Im currently trying to buy a 03 z ecu. MT with cruise .

Im not sure what u mean by nissan re flash. Far as i know they aret able to do anything. UpRev has the most knowledge about nissan ecus. Every ECU is different. They Have Different ROMS on them. For my 04 maxima ecu i had to "dump" the ecu and send UpRev the file, then 2 weeks later they had a patched rom file that was fully tunable.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 PM

^I meant the ROM.
I don't know a lot about the Nissan ECU, but I know with GM, a lot of different cars share the same physical ECU (same hardware) but can be vastly different in function, so if a car needs a new ECU, the dealership punches in the vin, and flashes a blank ECU with the ROM for whatever car it is.

If Nissan can do this to (I suspect they can) that might save you having to search high and low for the right ECU.
Trouble is, IDK if they'll be willing to do it (or how much they might charge) even if they have the ability at all.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Far as i know the 04 maxima ecu i have is MT.

Its crazy how many different ecu's their are and their is not a good way at all to tell which is which.

I recently got a 03 z ecu off ebay, only to figure out its from a 04 spec v. WOW little off there huh???? Now i gotta go through the whole process of getting my money back.

Im currently trying to buy a 03 z ecu. MT with cruise .

Im not sure what u mean by nissan re flash. Far as i know they aret able to do anything. UpRev has the most knowledge about nissan ecus. Every ECU is different. They Have Different ROMS on them. For my 04 maxima ecu i had to "dump" the ecu and send UpRev the file, then 2 weeks later they had a patched rom file that was fully tunable.
I know for a fact that the base model of the 350z had no cruise control at all. Anything higher then that should have it. But I believe all 6th gen maximas had cruise control standard however liek you said there might be a differnce between it works on a maxima and a 350z.

This cruise control issue is putting up a fight though. There has to be a way around it though.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

^I meant the ROM.
I don't know a lot about the Nissan ECU, but I know with GM, a lot of different cars share the same physical ECU (same hardware) but can be vastly different in function, so if a car needs a new ECU, the dealership punches in the vin, and flashes a blank ECU with the ROM for whatever car it is.

If Nissan can do this to (I suspect they can) that might save you having to search high and low for the right ECU.
Trouble is, IDK if they'll be willing to do it (or how much they might charge) even if they have the ability at all.

Im not sure but i highly doubt they can do anything like that.

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
I know for a fact that the base model of the 350z had no cruise control at all. Anything higher then that should have it. But I believe all 6th gen maximas had cruise control standard however liek you said there might be a differnce between it works on a maxima and a 350z.

This cruise control issue is putting up a fight though. There has to be a way around it though.

Oh ok, so is it all 350z base have no cruise??? wow thats sad

yes i think all maximas have cruise, my problem might be this ecu is auto, i need to try and find that out.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Just a update,

My car has a 2004 maxima ecu, ( a 350z ecu woudl work too) , i have a 2005 sentra spec v gauge cluster.

My car runs and drives, cruise control does not work. Rad fans are manually controlled ( could be auto with aftermarket controller) i haven't messed with ac control.

Ive started tearing my car apart, putting a motor in. So testing osiris is done. I do beleive im done with osiris, while it WORKS. I'm not going without cruise control. Next plans?? Plug and Play Haltech funny thing is this is what i wanted from the start. So ive larned to just save up for what you want, and be done with it. The haltech will offer all stock functions retained with full tuning. I know for a lot of people the haltech pricetag turns you off, it did me too untill ive tried every other option!! All the time and money ive spend on other devices, i could of easily purchased a haltech and saved a insane amount of work.

I still would like to see how the Early G35 Sedans work, i do beleive this ecu/osiris swap would work MUCH MUCH better for them.

Also this swap will work for about any car with a vq35 that wants to take advantage of cam timing , rather than doing the hybrid 3.0 ecu 3.5 motor.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Also this swap will work for about any car with a vq35 that wants to take advantage of cam timing , rather than doing the hybrid 3.0 ecu 3.5 motor.

ot: your old bellhousing is working just fine btw, the shop I took my tranny saw your old diff and input shaft and was impressed that a maxima could do that.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:21 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

hahah glad to hear it worked fine, yeahhh mann 6spd with sticky tires = watch out
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM

So, watcha doing with the old ECU's once you go with the HT?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

So, watcha doing with the old ECU's once you go with the HT?
Selling all i have related to osiris. sentra clusters, 04 max ecu, osiris tuner, uprev bench harness

Needing to confirm haltech can run exhaust valve timing alone, with stock 5.5 ecu. and a wiring diagram. Then the REAL deal starts.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

was just browsing on the CAN system came across this...

http://www.ncs-systems.com/prod/1457

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmzzzzzz speed signal over can???
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM

^Woah, nice find.... that might actually work!

Of course, it might be kinda hard to recoup money on it, if it doesn't do the trick :/
Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya man, ima have to email them and find more out.

looks like it intercepts the can lines, and modifies the speed signal and then sends it to the ecu. Im not exctaly sure if it will solve the cruise control problem.

It does have a speed signal wire, idk if thats direct SPEED SENSOR or what. im not sure if its even a IMPUT signal,

More i think about it i think it sees when the car is close to the speed limiter then alters the signal, im not sure.

Def need to figure out WHAT THIS box is.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM

^I seemed to me that the "speed" wire went to the gauge cluster.... not sure though.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 PM

I just bought a 04 G35Sedan ECU, and the guy is sending a key with it (so that hopefully I can get steal the chip/use to bypass/whatever.

The one thing I will need for sure will be the pedal sensor.
I may just end up buying his, IDK yet.

If you do end up giving up on this project (and I hope you don't) I wouldn't mind buying that APP sensor.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

I just bought a 04 G35Sedan ECU, and the guy is sending a key with it (so that hopefully I can get steal the chip/use to bypass/whatever.

The one thing I will need for sure will be the pedal sensor.
I may just end up buying his, IDK yet.

If you do end up giving up on this project (and I hope you don't) I wouldn't mind buying that APP sensor.

cool man, i did not even think of that!!! haha. So IF NATS works then with a adapter harness its possible the car will crank and run just fine!!!!! with nats tho you will have to remove the antenna and put the key close to it, im not sure exactly how they do it.

If he will sell just that app sensor then def get it!!!

Im not sure yet on what im going to do, i mean it works and drives and such. Im probably going to go haltech make a full plug and play system, way easyier and not that much more expensive.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM

^He'll probably sell me the pedal for $40
I kinda want to upgrade to 350z pedals though, they're much sportier, but also more expensive :/

Will the car crank and run with no APP? (not drivable obviously)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cool man, i did not even think of that!!! haha. So IF NATS works then with a adapter harness its possible the car will crank and run just fine!!!!! with nats tho you will have to remove the antenna and put the key close to it, im not sure exactly how they do it.
Thats a simple solution. If all you are trying to do is get the signal to the ECU and you have the key and antenna, just tape the key to the antenna and secure it under the dash. As long as the key is in close proximity to the antenna ring it will pick up the chip inside the key.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

^He'll probably sell me the pedal for $40
I kinda want to upgrade to 350z pedals though, they're much sportier, but also more expensive :/

Will the car crank and run with no APP? (not drivable obviously)

ohh i see, the car should crank, but it wont rev at all.

Originally Posted by sergofast
Thats a simple solution. If all you are trying to do is get the signal to the ECU and you have the key and antenna, just tape the key to the antenna and secure it under the dash. As long as the key is in close proximity to the antenna ring it will pick up the chip inside the key.
there ya go! haha
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sergofast
Yup. Way easier that way.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Any progress in the last couple weeks?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

DEF no cruise control.

other than that, im done. For a Daily driver 5.5 gen. Im going with Haltech ESP since i need to control EVT.

ID still like to test on a early g sedan. What are your plans??
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM

^Well, right now I've got an 04 ecu and a key that belongs to it.
I still don't have a pedal though.

I'm kinda buried in a projector retrofit project at the moment, so the ecu swap will have to wait for now, but I do plan on attempting it.

Did you have an adapter?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 PM

So what I done to start with was. Made a harness that used the 5.5 ecu to control only those few functions that where needed. I used the Black connector ecu to run the motor basically at that time I was using a 03 350z ecu. It worked pretty good. One main issue was Coolant temp. If I had the coolant temp sensor hooked to the maxima ecu the rad fans would work fine, and the 5.5 temp gauge would work right. BUT the car would run badly due to the black ecu not knowing engine temp. So if I hooked to the black ecu it ran good but not fans and no gauge worked. AND if I hooked to both it changed the resistance of the coolant temp sensor and it made the gauge read wrong so the fans never came on and the car ran like crap. I believe if I added a second coolant temp sensor that would be solved. One sensor for each ecu.
Have you thought about buffering the coolant sensor with a 1:1 op amp circuit?

I have a similar problem with my Emanage Ultimate. It appears to be loading down the coolant inputs, so I just disconnected it and simulated it with some resistors so the auto tune will still work. This also goes for the IAT sensor, and any other sensor for that matter.

I plan on making a simple buffer circuit to prevent this voltage drop.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Have you thought about buffering the coolant sensor with a 1:1 op amp circuit?

I have a similar problem with my Emanage Ultimate. It appears to be loading down the coolant inputs, so I just disconnected it and simulated it with some resistors so the auto tune will still work. This also goes for the IAT sensor, and any other sensor for that matter.

I plan on making a simple buffer circuit to prevent this voltage drop.

Na i haven't thought of that, with the dual ecu's i think it would be better just to add a 2ed coolant temp sensor. The factory ecu needs a accurate CTS.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

I was just thinking.....

reason cruise control dont work is the ABS unit is over CAN.

Well Some 3.5 altimas dont have ABS. so it might be possible to get that ECU and have working cruise control!

From what i can tell in the FSM 2005 Altima with a 3.5, MT. no TCS no ABS no NAVI

CAN= ECU, OBD2 connector, BCM, Gauge cluster, IPDM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM

I was just thinking.....

reason cruise control dont work is the ABS unit is over CAN.

Well Some 3.5 altimas dont have ABS. so it might be possible to get that ECU and have working cruise control!

From what i can tell in the FSM 2005 Altima with a 3.5, MT. no TCS no ABS no NAVI

CAN= ECU, OBD2 connector, BCM, Gauge cluster, IPDM.
So you going to try it?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 PM

^10,000th Post FTMFW!!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

^ probably not, as ive pretty much got the whole package sold. And my car is completely torn apart. I dont even have a motor.

Going haltech for many reasons. Mainly the simplicity of it! The few little things it cant do far outweigh what it can.