All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM

So basically why you are saying is you want to have torque where it always drops off for these motors? The VQ37 is improved because of its crazy cam timing and IM but its still drops off, At that kind of RPM i dont think torque really matters also its a steady trade for HP and he was still at 210ft lbs. Thats 20wtq of his peak at 230. take into account that was an UNTUNED car. With a tune it would have been a much better torque curve something like aarons.

With the sentras short gearing i would want to extend my rev limiter so i dont loose the top end i had before.

And btw here is a 370Z dyno:

just looks like a smoother version of deckdout's dyno lol

Last edited by Crusher103; 08-29-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM

Maybe because it's stock... After a few mods they look like....

And TQ not mattering in the top end? Chas wha choo chiink, it is of my belief that TQ wins races and HP sells cars.

And Aaron's dyno (the one I posted) was the untuned one, when he tuned it, it turned into your typical VQ35, not something I want.

I might have to put this in my sig so I can stop saying it but...

If I wanted a bunch of top end HP with no TQ, I would have gotten a Honda.

Last edited by aackshun; 08-29-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 AM

Because that is a stock 370Z dyno, you posted a modified one. Unless you get its Cam timing system i wouldnt expect to see a curve like that. It controls duration and lift. Its just the characteristics of a VQ to drop torque like that. Its really just the characteristic of an internal combustion engine lol.

Anyway things you should know by now, the intake manifold will make or break this swap more than. If your not concerned about appearance do something like sparks. And please dont be impressed only by high reading dynos, that is the easiest way to screw yourself over.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Because that is a stock 370Z dyno, you posted a modified one. Unless you get its Cam timing system i wouldnt expect to see a curve like that. It controls duration and lift. Its just the characteristics of a VQ to drop torque like that. Its really just the characteristic of an internal combustion engine lol.

Anyway things you should know by now, the intake manifold will make or break this swap more than. If your not concerned about appearance do something like sparks. And please dont be impressed only by high reading dynos, that is the easiest way to screw yourself over.
I don't plan on having one, even though I'm quite sure I will get extremely similar lines @ WOT, the only thing I plan on having is TQ with my HP.

Yes, I do know... Why do you think I'm getting an Altima motor?

High reading dynojets???? Really??? Either way... Have you been paying attention to what I have been saying the whole time?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Maybe because it's stock... After a few mods they look like....

And TQ not mattering in the top end? Chas wha choo chiink, it is of my belief that TQ wins races and HP sells cars.

And Aaron's dyno (the one I posted) was the untuned one, when he tuned it, it turned into your typical VQ35, not something I want.

I might have to put this in my sig so I can stop saying it but...

If I wanted a bunch of top end HP with no TQ, I would have gotten a Honda.
oh btw, Aarons car was tuned, I was there lol. look at where his limiter cuts in, its at 6300rpm, he was going for 7000rpm.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM

I don't plan on having one, even though I'm quite sure I will get extremely similar lines @ WOT, the only thing I plan on having is TQ with my HP.

Yes, I do know... Why do you think I'm getting an Altima motor?

High reading dynojets???? Really??? Either way... Have you been paying attention to what I have been saying the whole time?
you are saying you dont want to lose tq on top end, It is quite irrelevant but if its what you want go for it. Either which way you will need some decent cams.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 AM

oh btw, Aarons car was tuned, I was there lol. look at where his limiter cuts in, its at 6300rpm, he was going for 7000rpm.
The one I posted was the untuned one... Well correction... Street tuned.

I posted the Blue run because I liked the TQ curve better than his Red one.

//Edit I looked at it again, I like the red one too

you are saying you dont want to lose tq on top end, It is quite irrelevant but if its what you want go for it. Either which way you will need some decent cams.
Then why say something about high reading dynos when all I'm concerned with is the curve of my power band?

Last edited by aackshun; 08-29-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM

The one I posted was the untuned one... Well correction... Street tuned.

I posted the Blue run because I liked the TQ curve better than his Red one.

//Edit I looked at it again, I like the red one too

Then why save something about high reading dynos when all I'm concerned with is the curve of my power band?
lol see what im saying. His dyno tune did him more favors in numbers and bragging rights, he went back to his street tune a couple of weeks after he had it dyno tuned.

i think you kinda misinterpreted what i was saying anyway. If you up the compression like i was suggesting(HR pistons&shaved head) its a bump up in power across the board not just a high rpm. If you are gonna do a build you might aswell get some decent cams. Duration decides where you make power, Lift is the amount of power.

But do as you please, my suggestion would be let the thing rev.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 AM

lol see what im saying. His dyno tune did him more favors in numbers and bragging rights, he went back to his street tune a couple of weeks after he had it dyno tuned.

i think you kinda misinterpreted what i was saying anyway. If you up the compression like i was suggesting(HR pistons&shaved head) its a bump up in power across the board not just a high rpm. If you are gonna do a build you might aswell get some decent cams. Duration decides where you make power, Lift is the amount of power.

But do as you please, my suggestion would be let the thing rev.
I see, I see

Sure I feel ya on the pistons, I'll consider it, doubt it because of the allowed budget for my motor build, but if there's room in the budget for it, then I think ya I'd drop some $$$ for pistons... Especially since we have an HR core in the warehouse

I will let it rev if it has to (thus the headwork!), but if it doesn't have to then... it doesn't have to!

Officially kicks off today, I'm serious enough now to actually make a thread....

07+ Altima VQ35DE (Aiming for 20k-40k miles on the motor)
- Cams TBD
- Stock Z33 Injectors
- Minor Head Porting
- HR head gasket
- HR Head Bolts
- RU Water Pump
- RU Water Pump gasket
- 3.0L Timing Kit
- Cam Adapters
- FPR Regulator
- Walbro 255lph
- RevUp Oil Pump
- ARP Rod Bolts
- JWT ECU (Not going to happen till after the motor goes in sadly)

Anywho, just making a thread so I can not get side tracked by anything else, not being able to compete in IFO has really irk'd me the last few days and I really want to finish this and compete in one before the year is over with.

My goal date is 10/13/11 to get this car running with a 3.5.

Build thread to come when I have attained all of the parts.... Just made this thread to discuss and ask some questions I have along the way of collecting parts.....

Last edited by aackshun; 08-29-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

- Cams TBD
Cams for this motor are expensive and the 07+ Altima motor already has half-decent cams. But this would get you the most gains from anything else on your list. But $1000+ for cams during the Greatest Depression is a lot of cheese.
- Stock Z33 Injectors
Waste of money, it'll get you nothing over the stock Altima injectors.
- Minor Head Porting
Waste of money. These heads flow great stock.
- HR head gasket
- HR Head Bolts
Waste of money. I don't think anyone has compared the stock 07+ altima head bolts with HR head bolts. If you were tearing down and building an engine, you should use NEW bolts anyways. If you were going FI, head studs would be better. The stock multi-layer metal head gasket is great and almost never fails. The only real difference between the HR and first gen head gasket is slightly better cooling. No difference at all in sealing performance.
- RU Water Pump
- RU Water Pump gasket
Why not use the stocker? My stocker has 190k on it and is still in great condition. The engine oil lubricating these pumps make them last forever.
- RevUp Oil Pump
Another waste of money.
- ARP Rod Bolts
This one is questionable. I don't think anyone really knows except Nissan engineers if the 07+ Altima engine has stronger rod bolts or not, but ARP couldn't hurt.
- JWT ECU (Not going to happen till after the motor goes in sadly)
Waste of money. The JWT will be tuned for 3.0L injectors and therefore you'll run rich with this ECU unless you can get JWT to change the fuel maps accordingly.

As for the Walbro pump...I had my stocker go out and purchased a new pump at Idiotzone or O'Reilly's a few years back and it was actually a Walbro pump inside the box.

Last edited by Weimar Ben; 08-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM

i dunno if i would consider a rev-up oil pump a waste of money depending on how high he plans on revving. if he is gonna stick around the stock rev limit or no higher than 7k then yea it probably is, any higher thou. Its some nice insurance.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

i dunno if i would consider a rev-up oil pump a waste of money depending on how high he plans on revving. if he is gonna stick around the stock rev limit or no higher than 7k then yea it probably is, any higher thou. Its some nice insurance.
This isn't a first gen motor. Do you have any proof that the oil pump is inferior to the rev-up?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Weimar Ben
This isn't a first gen motor. Do you have any proof that the oil pump is inferior to the rev-up?
True but is there proof its better than a rev-up's pump? I have walked down the unknown path it ended in disaster, i would rather walk down the known but thats just me.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Cams for this motor are expensive and the 07+ Altima motor already has half-decent cams. But this would get you the most gains from anything else on your list. But $1000+ for cams during the Greatest Depression is a lot of cheese.

You need to hang out @ My350z more often my friend, you can find new cams from failed builds for $800 shipped awl dae (problem is, is it the right cams that I need)

Unless the 07+ injectors flow more than the -06 ones then no. Plus I can get them for nearly free, good insurance.

False, the TQ falling off @ redline says otherwise

Waste of money. I don't think anyone has compared the stock 07+ altima head bolts with HR head bolts. If you were tearing down and building an engine, you should use NEW bolts anyways. If you were going FI, head studs would be better. The stock multi-layer metal head gasket is great and almost never fails. The only real difference between the HR and first gen head gasket is slightly better cooling. No difference at all in sealing performance.
True dat, I'll find out when tearing down the motor, but as for now new head bolts are the plan (they're pretty much the same price anyways).
I know this, I need every single degree cooler I can possibly get, my track day @ MSR was an eye opener for me.

Why not use the stocker? My stocker has 190k on it and is still in great condition. The engine oil lubricating these pumps make them last forever.

Revving to 8k could possibly be the demise of a stock water pump.

Another waste of money.
Insurance incase I have to rev to a billion to get the power I want.

This one is questionable. I don't think anyone really knows except Nissan engineers if the 07+ Altima engine has stronger rod bolts or not, but ARP couldn't hurt.
Again, doing the timing chain swap allows direct access to the crank... Why not? They're not that expensive....

Waste of money. The JWT will be tuned for 3.0L injectors and therefore you'll run rich with this ECU unless you can get JWT to change the fuel maps accordingly.
Not if I tell them NOT to tune it for 3.0L injectors.....

As for the Walbro pump...I had my stocker go out and purchased a new pump at Idiotzone or O'Reilly's a few years back and it was actually a Walbro pump inside the box.
Niiiiice!
+1

Nope!!!!

True but is there proof its better than a rev-up's pump? I have walked down the unknown path it ended in disaster, i would rather walk down the known but thats just me.
My thoughts exactly, plus it's not that expensive.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM

The only thing I request from this build is a good intake manifold. That's the biggest bottle neck other than the cams.

The altima one may work well though. Haven't really seen much from it.

The heads flow a **** load for stock heads.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by krazy6
The only thing I request from this build is a good intake manifold. That's the biggest bottle neck other than the cams.

The altima one may work well though. Haven't really seen much from it.

The heads flow a **** load for stock heads.
Something is starving the motor of air north of 6k, I'd love to see spark's intake manifold on a motor with cams, because we know on his setup the IM was not the bottle neck, his TQ still had a nice cliff towards his redline.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Something is starving the motor of air north of 6k, I'd love to see spark's intake manifold on a motor with cams, because we know on his setup the IM was not the bottle neck, his TQ still had a nice cliff towards his redline.
Yeah, too bad he sold the IM. He had plans for camming the motor too.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, too bad he sold the IM. He had plans for camming the motor too.
Maybe I'll cam mine.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Maybe I'll cam mine.
You better!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

You better!
I bought a set 2.5 years ago, w/ double shims, HR springs and an install tool. Puss'd out and sold them about 1.5 years ago.

Now, finances are in much better shape ... so yeah A bit obvious considering I just bo8ught a manifold of this nature.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-30-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM

I bought a set 2.5 years ago, w/ double shims, HR springs and an install tool. Puss'd out and sold them about 1.5 years ago.

Now, finances are in much better shape ... so yeah A bit obvious considering I just bo8ught a manifold of this nature.
What cam specs are you going with?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

What cam specs are you going with?
Now that I don't know.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Now that I don't know.
Go big!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Go big!
or......
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM

or......

go home
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
dot dot dot ...

Rod bolts done while engine is still in car = 7500 RPM...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Rod bolts done while engine is still in car = 7500 RPM...
Now if we could get your car some TQ @ 7500 to back up that awesome flat HP curve of yours
Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Now if we could get your car some TQ @ 7500 to back up that awesome flat HP curve of yours
An old goal of mine used to be to make 200 tq @ 6500, now I need a new goal, maybe 200 wh/tq @ 7000 .

Then again, if I want my peak to be further to the right, I can just dyno in a lower gear like I've seen in the past.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-30-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM

or......
Don't cam it at all. lol
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

You need to hang out @ My350z more often my friend, you can find new cams from failed builds for $800 shipped awl dae (problem is, is it the right cams that I need)
I don't doubt it, but $800 is still a lot for a set of cams. The fact of the matter is that we get sodomized on cams for our motors. But it's the only way to make any power at all above stock redline.
Unless the 07+ injectors flow more than the -06 ones then no. Plus I can get them for nearly free, good insurance.
More fuel without more air is a fail. Since when do these motors run lean, NA?
False, the TQ falling off @ redline says otherwise
False, that's more a function of the stock cams, intake manifold, and valve timing a lot more than the heads. This isn't like some crappy head on some pushrod motor from the 80s made by drunk and/or high overpaid union members.

The 350z, which has the same heads, achieves a 105% VE at some RPMs which proves the heads flow great, stock.
True dat, I'll find out when tearing down the motor, but as for now new head bolts are the plan (they're pretty much the same price anyways).
I know this, I need every single degree cooler I can possibly get, my track day @ MSR was an eye opener for me.
It's not really going to decrease the overall water temperature. That's more a function of the radiator/fan combo than anything else. Our radiators are a little small for the power output you're talking about. My PSD puts out 300rwhp and it has a radiator that's 2x the area and about 2x as thick as my 4th gen max radiator. And of course a diesel expels less waste heat than a gasser for a given power level too.

When I was doing my build, I used HR pistons and a thicker cometic head gasket because I had difficulty getting machine shops to touch the pistons. I used HR head bolts.

If you want to use the OEM HR gaskets, I have some that I'll cut you a deal on.

Revving to 8k could possibly be the demise of a stock water pump.
I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. There's no reciprocating mass. Never heard of a stock water pump failing because of revs. It's always because of a lack of cooling system maintenance or using the wrong coolant.

Again, doing the timing chain swap allows direct access to the crank... Why not? They're not that expensive....
Yes, if you're revving the 8k, I wouldn't trust the stock rod bolts. I'm not sure that I would trust the stock rods with ARP bolts. But on the other hand HR pistons weigh less which put less stress on the stock rods. But physics says that velocity plays a much larger role in kinetic energy than does mass. E=.5mv^2

Not if I tell them NOT to tune it for 3.0L injectors.....
Ok, looks like you're right in that JWT will customize the fuel maps for the size injectors you specify, but then you have the other issue of timing with the HR pistons. The JWT will kill that motor, you'll have too much ignition advance.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 PM

I don't doubt it, but $800 is still a lot for a set of cams. The fact of the matter is that we get sodomized on cams for our motors. But it's the only way to make any power at all above stock redline.

It's the only way to achieve what I want, cams + intake porting + gutting the IM, I will have VQ-esque TQ with my HP damnit!!! Screw the rest of the powerband, I only need about 1700rpm of glory!!!! Plus there's plenty of dyno data of 12+whp and like 15+ft/lbs untuned just by camming the motor

More fuel without more air is a fail. Since when do these motors run lean, NA?

Says everyone else who makes decent power

False, that's more a function of the stock cams, intake manifold, and valve timing a lot more than the heads. This isn't like some crappy head on some pushrod motor from the 80s made by drunk and/or high overpaid union members.

I meant to say velocity, I knew you'd pick on me for my poor choice in words.

The VQ35 heads have excellent flow, outflowing most if not all of the world's top performing motors

The 350z, which has the same heads, achieves a 105% VE at some RPMs which proves the heads flow great, stock.

Wow? Awesome, but you still said a very painful word... SOME rpms.... I'm only concerned about 6k+ right now when these motors seem to make the most HP

It's not really going to decrease the overall water temperature. That's more a function of the radiator/fan combo than anything else. Our radiators are a little small for the power output you're talking about. My PSD puts out 300rwhp and it has a radiator that's 2x the area and about 2x as thick as my 4th gen max radiator. And of course a diesel expels less waste heat than a gasser for a given power level too.

I'm not concerned about where the temperature needle lies, I'm more concerned about it STAYING, why not do everything I possibly can to keep this motor cool on the road course?

When I was doing my build, I used HR pistons and a thicker cometic head gasket because I had difficulty getting machine shops to touch the pistons. I used HR head bolts.

I have no intention on changing the pistons, making high numbers is not my goal in a 2600lb car.

If you want to use the OEM HR gaskets, I have some that I'll cut you a deal on.

Sweet

I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. There's no reciprocating mass. Never heard of a stock water pump failing because of revs. It's always because of a lack of cooling system maintenance or using the wrong coolant.

I will have to research some more on the Z forums they spend more time about 6k than any of us Maxist over here, the water pump aint that expensive anyways....

Yes, if you're revving the 8k, I wouldn't trust the stock rod bolts. I'm not sure that I would trust the stock rods with ARP bolts. But on the other hand HR pistons weigh less which put less stress on the stock rods. But physics says that velocity plays a much larger role in kinetic energy than does mass. E=.5mv^2

My physics is rusty... But I do not recall that formula... Then again I am a C+ physics student, damn 7am labs....

Ok, looks like you're right in that JWT will customize the fuel maps for the size injectors you specify, but then you have the other issue of timing with the HR pistons. The JWT will kill that motor, you'll have too much ignition advance.

Again, not running pistons at this point in time, unless I have some extremely convincing evidence, adding pistons to this project will not let me finish this before the year is over...
Thanks a lot for your repsonses, this is the type of back and forth I wanted
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Don't want to keep beating a dead horse here, but man, with all that work building the motor it might be less work just to take my advice, do the full ecu swap, put in a stock 3.5 instead, you can't beat stock reliability and if the motor does blow you can put a new 3.5 right in without any effort. Throw on some NWP intake spacers, NWP VIAS delete, ES motor mount poly bushings, while you are at it. The only real downside is getting all of the harness bits and having to switch to a non cable driven throttle body sucks.

Last edited by ampire; 09-01-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 AM

yea but that is boring, lets inject some excitement. Do a full ECU swap and injecting Plutonium for an extra "kick"
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ampire
Don't want to keep beating a dead horse here, but man, with all that work building the motor it might be less work just to take my advice, do the full ecu swap, put in a stock 3.5 instead, you can't beat stock reliability and if the motor does blow you can put a new 3.5 right in without any effort. Throw on some NWP intake spacers, NWP VIAS delete, ES motor mount poly bushings, while you are at it. The only real downside is getting all of the harness bits and having to switch to a non cable driven throttle body sucks.
Humor me... You want me to do a Full 07+ Altima swap in my 4th gen? How would I go about that with the ECU relying on the BCM and IPDM to communicate to.....

Or you want me to do a 02-03 ECU swap then use the altima motor?

yea but that is boring, lets inject some excitement. Do a full ECU swap and injecting Plutonium for an extra "kick"
where are we gettin the plutonium?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM

02-03 ecu swap
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ampire
02-03 ecu swap
And tuning?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

And tuning?
Come see me
Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Come see me
Dammit I thought you were offline

GET OSIRIS WORKING!

//Edit don't worry about the tranny, my manager let me have the one here for the lowww lowwwww
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

haha just got email at the right time!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

GET OSIRIS WORKING!

//Edit don't worry about the tranny, my manager let me have the one here for the lowww lowwwww

hahah ok! I ment to txt u back, im going out of town so it would be next weet at soonest!

Just got some goodies in the mail today! Got everything i need for the re attempt!

Quick Reply: Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...