All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

this Y-pipe never seemed to have gotten addressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
i am... ima do it lol
3" y-pipe's gonna kill your low end lol Hope it works out though.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM

will u spot me the extra $$$.. im unemployed... i thought this section was everything motor related outside of force induction???
I'm just giving ya grief lol, so I'm confused about something, what year Max do you have now
Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM

2001 AE lol
Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
ive actually talked myself out of it for headers...... might, just might have the extra $$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Got Retrofit?

ive actually talked myself out of it for headers...... might, just might have the extra $$$$$$$$$$
Ya *** needs a job.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Ya *** needs a job.

ive sent out so many resumes n filled out so manny apps that if n employer hit me up they would have to remind me wth i applied for... possibly done on avg, 3 apps per day since mid january......... do the math
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Man ive been looking at this y-pipe on ebay for the last month now. Im wondering if itll even benefit the shorty headers on my 3.5 swap, or if I should just say fk it and go thru the trouble of OBX headers/y-pipe instead

Seein how its 3" I think itll have some nice gains with a 3" exhaust, but idk if itll sound all that great, and idk if itll improve top-end any

Im just tired of this weak shorty header/ebay exhaust setup its holding the 3.5 back!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Welp i think that answered my question lol

ive sent out so many resumes n filled out so manny apps that if n employer hit me up they would have to remind me wth i applied for... possibly done on avg, 3 apps per day since mid january......... do the math
Do they have temp agencies where u live? In Ohio/Indiana thats the main way to get jobs takes a couple weeks and they find a job for you. Temp to hire most of the time tho
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

Jesus. Do you have a bad record or something?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
Man ive been looking at this y-pipe on ebay for the last month now. Im wondering if itll even benefit the shorty headers on my 3.5 swap, or if I should just say fk it and go thru the trouble of OBX headers/y-pipe instead

Seein how its 3" I think itll have some nice gains with a 3" exhaust, but idk if itll sound all that great, and idk if itll improve top-end any

Im just tired of this weak shorty header/ebay exhaust setup its holding the 3.5 back!
im going the OBX header route lol
you would think..... since ive gotten pulled over last year for speeding my life has been downhill... ive been with a temp, got to do n interview, gotten a start date n on start day got re schedule due to budget issues
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Got Retrofit?

you would think..... since ive gotten pulled over last year for speeding my life has been downhill... ive been with a temp, got to do n interview, gotten a start date n on start day got re schedule due to budget issues
Man, you just need to move but that costs money
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-

Shortys will hold back your top end anyway you look at it, but the 3" will help.
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...f-set-ups.html

Regarding sound, here's my old setup with headers and an unequal length 3" y pipe.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM

That's whats killing me most.... Sound lol...
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 AM

no that's just how fuked up it is to get a job, i was in his position for 9 months doing about the same amount of resumes a day...seriously, looking for a job is a fukin job

i feel ya homie..keep ya head up, real ****
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
no that's just how fuked up it is to get a job, i was in his position for 9 months doing about the same amount of resumes a day...seriously, looking for a job is a fukin job

i feel ya homie..keep ya head up, real ****
thx... u know how it is... I use to hear ppl say they are unemployed for a while n it never really stick how difficult, n i mean difficult it is to get a job.... its not that im not qualified but like phatboi said its truely a job looking for a job... a very stressful n depressing job.... not hard to find places hiring but god they take their time about it........ Bro i got a computer engineering degree n im so desperate for employment that ive even looked into office cleaning (borderline janitor)for employment with no shame... think i feel good about that with the added responsibility of a fiance who is working 2 jobs n school???
Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 AM

i know all that feeling too well. some people can land a job quick and some cant...i had a friend that got basically fired from t-mobile and less than 2 wks landed a job w/ verizon...like seriously?! no effort he landed a job that quick and i struggled for as long as i did and did all kind of hustles to make ends meet, did shingle on roof, carpentry/renovations, detailed cars..whatever it was i was on it and when i finished that or on my off days i either threw in resumes or followed up on them.

SN: if you arent in the unemployment office go and signup and see if they can help you through a program, i know its down here, but it's a program where basically they can either put you back in school if you want (get a degree/diploma), help get a job too. chk it out
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i know all that feeling too well. some people can land a job quick and some cant...i had a friend that got basically fired from t-mobile and less than 2 wks landed a job w/ verizon...like seriously?! no effort he landed a job that quick and i struggled for as long as i did and did all kind of hustles to make ends meet, did shingle on roof, carpentry/renovations, detailed cars..whatever it was i was on it and when i finished that or on my off days i either threw in resumes or followed up on them.

SN: if you arent in the unemployment office go and signup and see if they can help you through a program, i know its down here, but it's a program where basically they can either put you back in school if you want (get a degree/diploma), help get a job too. chk it out
been fighting with my previous employer n un employment n just got a result last week winning the claim... they said i was terminated due to driving on sus licence (never had sus licence lol)... i had to forward un employement my driving record... they ask best buy what paper work do they have stating otherwise n of coarse they failed to show proof, but that took a month n some days
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM

damn that's ****ty...but you should, even if you didnt win the claim, been able to use the other benefits of the unemployment office, i woulda imagined...either way..when cash is there...GET THE DAMN Y-PIPE ANNA MAE!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Got Retrofit?

been fighting with my previous employer n un employment n just got a result last week winning the claim... they said i was terminated due to driving on sus licence (never had sus licence lol)... i had to forward un employement my driving record... they ask best buy what paper work do they have stating otherwise n of coarse they failed to show proof, but that took a month n some days
Good **** on winning bro. If you still can't find a job, you just gotta find something you're good at and make a job of it. That's what I had to do.

I watch my son all day and go to school at night. Had to just make a job for myself.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM

I actually might try to this one sometime in may or june. Ill post up fitment and etc afterwards
Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Good **** on winning bro. If you still can't find a job, you just gotta find something you're good at and make a job of it. That's what I had to do.

I watch my son all day and go to school at night. Had to just make a job for myself.
mmm
Originally Posted by hornepirate
I actually might try to this one sometime in may or june. Ill post up fitment and etc afterwards
you should bro... keep us posted... its looks like a solid peice
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM

mmm

you should bro... keep us posted... its looks like a solid peice
Yeah it looks interesting I doubt Ill see a whole lot of gain in the butt dyno but ive got a lot going into the car once this semester is over and maybe the combo of everything will work well together

3.5" intake
nwp spacer (if budget allows)
safc2 install
lc1 install
tune
3.5" maf
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Or hustle could just lend me dem funds

J/K too late now, I installed my OBX's on the white car... G/L hustle!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Man, you just need to move but that costs money

Originally Posted by hornepirate
Yeah it looks interesting I doubt Ill see a whole lot of gain in the butt dyno but ive got a lot going into the car once this semester is over and maybe the combo of everything will work well together

3.5" intake
nwp spacer (if budget allows)
safc2 install
lc1 install
tune
3.5" maf
butt dyno's are for the rice lol.... i couldnt even notice a damn difference in my 3" catback lol... til i lined yup with someone or on the track lol... i would bet tuned you can get 18-25whp
Originally Posted by aackshun
Or hustle could just lend me dem funds

J/K too late now, I installed my OBX's on the white car... G/L hustle!
lol.. all cool broski... aint shyt been going my way all year so i expect a rough road lol
Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM

butt dyno's are for the rice lol.... i couldnt even notice a damn difference in my 3" catback lol... til i lined yup with someone or on the track lol... i would bet tuned you can get 18-25whp

lol.. all cool broski... aint shyt been going my way all year so i expect a rough road lol
well ill be running at the track before and after most likely
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM

vq30de and its sh!tty-a$$ exhaust system

That's whats killing me most.... Sound lol...
unequal y will kill the sound of a vq30. unequal y pipes make the vq30de sound like an american ohv v6 lol

As for loosing low end... you might.
usually larger diameter exhaust pipes will increase flow rate (q(is flow rate)=velocity x area) because of a larger cross sectional area (area (of circle) depends on diameter) of the pipe over stock. at some point in the stock exhaust diameter, as velocity (rpm) increases it will reach a certain optimal flow rate. this is usually in the lower-mid rpm range where the engine will do most of the work during its lifetime... low end torque, good pick up for passing in city and highway. however, when rpms increase after that point your flow rate is still increasing but its no longer optimum. the engine now works a bit harder and harder as the rpms go up to move more air because of unnecessary back pressure created by the stock exhaust diameter and amount bends (like head loss in a pump).
So by getting a larger exhaust and smoother bends (madrel vs crush bent) you can improve the flow... in turn more power. but bigger isn't better lol if that were the case i'd be getting 3" header pipes and a 4" y and a 5" cat back LOL. lets just say the larger it will be the longer it'll take to get to that optimum point. and i imagine that after a certain point (if i could graph it) of increasing exhaust size your engine won't even produce an optimum flow in the exhaust within its revving range because its too big and won't create enough back pressure.
I'm using my logic and my knowledge of engines + fluid mechanics from school to tie things together. i'm not sure if i can compare fluid+air like this but it makes sense to me, please correct me if i'm wrong!

IMO the y pipe size like cattman/stillen/warpspeed/budget/lss/ebay is sufficient. i think the branches are 2" going into 2.5" y collector. also, i'm pretty sure they're all the same. i hate when people say WS is ****ty or ebay y pipes are cheap blah blah. STFU!! all of it is like 95% identical. stick to SS304 +mandrel bent and you're good. moving on... take a look at these dyno graphs. y pipe

http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/index.html

peak both torque bumps are increased after the y pipe but now the second torque hump is where peak torque is produced... about 1000rpm later than stock. not that bad at all, its not like it lost it, the y pipe just enhanced low end a bit and shifted to a later rpm. i think companies like stillen,WS and cattman have already done research to determine the best size to get an overall most positive gains. 3" (i imagine this is the size leading to the catalytic) you're actually likely lose some low end (not shift it like this y) especially if you plan to run a high flow cat or straight pipe and also a cat back and maybe even headers.

Last edited by carsnwomen91; 04-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM

i don't think this sounds like ***

Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM

vq30de and its sh!tty-a$$ exhaust system 2

Also because of the unequal aftermarket y pipe design we get an ugly sound out of our car. its supposed to sound 350z like, more gurgly not snarly and/or raspy. all 4th gen owners experience this.

after watching nearly all the 4th gen exhaust vids on youtube with unequal y pipes i found that:

- y + stock cat + cat back = ok on throttle, slight rasps with rev down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhxAqj3joY

- y + a high flow cat + cat back (what i have) = no rasp, the sound is deep but snarly and ohv-like, still ugly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-8pE...eature=channel thats still a bit raspy here's mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0y98h5PJbA

- y + test pipe + catback = omg rice burner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT3QuVLng

- stock y + test pipe + unresonated cat back = aka straight piped, lovely sound. almost like a vq35. stock y isn't 100% (looks like about 70% est to me) equal but its more equal than any of the current after market y's but its also the most restrictive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG9d...eature=related

Unequal y pipe doesn't only take away from the sound but also creates uneven exhaust rhythm between both banks of the engine because of the different length y parts. i'm not sure exactly what effect this has on power production but from the dyno graph in my previous post it looks like that after the addition of the y pipe, peak power starts to decrease 250rpm sooner @5400rpm vs ~5750rpm.

In addition to an unequal y pipe we also get shorty headers, yay! short headers are made for torque and choke at higher engine speeds. This is why we would all like the long headers from the obx 3.5 headers, which are much more top end oriented. IMO we don't need more torque down low, its already a) a v-engine b) 3L displacement is already good for low end. we need to broaden the torque curve (bigger y) and increase top end (long headers + 00vi/MEVI)

this brings me to my question... which obx header system is the v2? cause on obx's site there are a couple.
1. http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=944 these look pretty equal but they're shorty style
2. http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1787 long headers but unequal y... these also fit the 4th gen AND 5th. obxv1?
3.http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=2000 5.5 gen. these are the ones i'm looking at. i really like them! these seem like the best... long headers and the most equal y pipe you can get without having to make a true equal one. obx v2?

questions:
-will that wrap around section on the rear header fit a 4th gen y pipe space?
-can someone point me to the install thread?
- i read the v2's don't have an egr bung... i imagine i'd have to delete the egr on my 00vi? i like the extra ~2mpg it gives while cruising lol
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM

yup, disgusting lol

Originally Posted by McSteve

funny, you found exaclty the same vid i used for the raspiness example! compare it to the straight pipe one and you can tell the difference in tone.

found this guy on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ESvNtqk3vU and asked him if he could make a wide open throttle vid, 1-2 or second gear pull so we can hear the exhaust from behind. in the garage its a bit too loud for the mic to tell how the revs really sound but idle and lower end is definately different. he's also got a test pipe on it that adds rasp and hinders the tone behind it cause sometimes the mic can't pick it up.

here's an in car vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VoovmUh6ZSw 0:12 and 4:20 are good moments too listen to. my car definitely doesn't sound like this inside between 3-6k rpm. it sounds a lot more like a vq35de which is exactly what i'm after
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM

My car has barely any rasp even at redline because i have two of the largest possible resonators that would fit in my exhaust.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 AM

that's alot of verbage, i didnt come on this forum to read a novel
Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM

not bad... lil on the loud side, but that compared to lets saaaay........ Ceffy's dyno vid???... more like the sound im going 4
Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Also because of the unequal aftermarket y pipe design we get an ugly sound out of our car. its supposed to sound 350z like, more gurgly not snarly and/or raspy. all 4th gen owners experience this.

after watching nearly all the 4th gen exhaust vids on youtube with unequal y pipes i found that:

- y + stock cat + cat back = ok on throttle, slight rasps with rev down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhxAqj3joY

- y + a high flow cat + cat back (what i have) = no rasp, the sound is deep but snarly and ohv-like, still ugly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-8pE...eature=channel thats still a bit raspy here's mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0y98h5PJbA

- y + test pipe + catback = omg rice burner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT3QuVLng

- stock y + test pipe + unresonated cat back = aka straight piped, lovely sound. almost like a vq35. stock y isn't 100% (looks like about 70% est to me) equal but its more equal than any of the current after market y's but its also the most restrictive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG9d...eature=related

Unequal y pipe doesn't only take away from the sound but also creates uneven exhaust rhythm between both banks of the engine because of the different length y parts. i'm not sure exactly what effect this has on power production but from the dyno graph in my previous post it looks like that after the addition of the y pipe, peak power starts to decrease 250rpm sooner @5400rpm vs ~5750rpm.

In addition to an unequal y pipe we also get shorty headers, yay! short headers are made for torque and choke at higher engine speeds. This is why we would all like the long headers from the obx 3.5 headers, which are much more top end oriented. IMO we don't need more torque down low, its already a) a v-engine b) 3L displacement is already good for low end. we need to broaden the torque curve (bigger y) and increase top end (long headers + 00vi/MEVI)

this brings me to my question... which obx header system is the v2? cause on obx's site there are a couple.
1. http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=944 these look pretty equal but they're shorty style
2. http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1787 long headers but unequal y... these also fit the 4th gen AND 5th. obxv1?
3.http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=2000 5.5 gen. these are the ones i'm looking at. i really like them! these seem like the best... long headers and the most equal y pipe you can get without having to make a true equal one. obx v2?

questions:
-will that wrap around section on the rear header fit a 4th gen y pipe space?
-can someone point me to the install thread?
- i read the v2's don't have an egr bung... i imagine i'd have to delete the egr on my 00vi? i like the extra ~2mpg it gives while cruising lol
i actually read all of this... one of the longest single post ive ever read lol.. try summing up next time but to answer ur question on headers (granted i looked at none of the links... the only equal length OBX headers are the ones listed for 02-03 that fits from 95-03......)
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM

i think cams play a major role in changing sound, since timing events are switched around etc.

i got so confused for a second watching this video, i was like WTF why wheels no turning!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM

i think cams play a major role in changing sound, since timing events are switched around etc.

i got so confused for a second watching this video, i was like WTF why wheels no turning!

cams dont change the exhaust note, im a witness of how great the headers changed notes... y-pipe on 4th gen, SS shorty header on 4th gen n OBX V2 headers on 4th gen... n with V2 the sound changed to this on a 3.0....... im trying to get this n installed because a local actually agreed to go half on dyno cost
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM

i actually read all of this... one of the longest single post ive ever read lol.. try summing up next time but to answer ur question on headers (granted i looked at none of the links... the only equal length OBX headers are the ones listed for 02-03 that fits from 95-03......)
lol sry. just did a **** load of research and spewed my findings all over this thread the youtube links are worth looking at to hear the sound differences, unless you already know

my exhaust works fine but for being a vq its supposed to sound very close to its other family members. i was very disappointed when i replaced my y pipe and cat back, didn't sound like my friends g35 at all but we agreed that it sounded like a chevy beretta (ohv v6) with exhaust on it lol.

Definately gonna get the v2's next year (i have to wait ) , gotta finish 00vi, suspension/rims/tires this year first... if i only had more time and money school sucks

would i HAVE to delete the egr on my 00vi or is there a way to keep it ie: pokin a whole in the header, extend egr as needed and weld it in? i also won't be installing these because i don't have the space. so does anyone know how long they take to install given you know what to grind down and what to relocate for clearance?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I've gotta say, it sounds sweet but really doesn't thump anywhere near what a 3.5L does with these cams, oh well- I still hate 3.5's [/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCvAFe4PSJ0

Dave's work in progress, quick run down on the current mod's for this junkyard rescue are-

*30K mile de-k

*Deluboz 3.5l s1 knock off cams w/stephen max adaptors

*HR springs & retainers, double shimmed

*Rev-up oil pump

*E-bay OBX equal length 5.5 gen headers (good)

*E-bay N1 2.5" mandrel bent catback (not good) (looking to source a used cattman 3")

*freshly rebuilt VLSD 5-MT

*ACT HD 6-puck

*Tein coilovers
apparently some people think cams do change sound.

I don't think this sounds like a 4.5th gen with just headers either.

IMO even the tune changes the engine sound.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM

Back on topic,
i ordered this y pipe last night and shpuld recieve it the 24th and will install it on the 2nd and ill post up a review
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM

apparently some people think cams do change sound.

I don't think this sounds like a 4.5th gen with just headers either.

IMO even the tune changes the engine sound.
Oh no the mighty G_hustle has all of the real scientific evidence to back up all of his claims, he is never wrong, if he says cams don't change exhaust notes they don't.

In for fitment!

Quick Reply: this Y-pipe never seemed to have gotten addressed