All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

vq35 internals. cams-less mild buildup. gurus please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:15 PM

vq35 internals. cams-less mild buildup. gurus please?

Hi guys.
I have obtained a young fresh motor. '02 vq35 with 25k will be goin in my tired oil DRINKING 180k '02 6speed in about a week or so.
The bolt ons ive accumulated, such as my headers, y-pipe, and 3" exhaust will of course be installed at the same time.

Question: what parts should I reasonably replace on the new motor, which had been sitting for at least 5 years. Specifically, what are some of the most time consuming and/or difficult to access once the motor is installed?

So far, I plan on purchasing my rear main seal, and most likely the front crank seal as well. (<-not hard to access from what ive read, but its cheap. Why not.)
Ill grab the rear valve cover for a 6th gen. Figured I'd leave the front alone for now

Going to select, and upgrade, my clutch and flywheel as well.

oh and the motor has brand new NGKs, and a 5 piece NWP spacer kit.

now. Internals. I would like to do rod bolts I believe.
I've heard that they are the mainnn weak point in the vq35.
is this true? What is their weak point?

Also, id think head studs or bolts would be a good plan, as I dooo plan to be turboed after about a year of allmotor fun has been completed.
anybody know a source for the head bolts out of a HR motor, as an alternative to ARP.

any thoughts on an extremely minor, (since ill be paying for labor on any internals work) motor build up?

Just Upgraded (forged) Rods and rodbolts? or am I crazy. And missing something.

I don't really want to the standard parts for slightly higher revving, cams and valvesprings and such. Ill run into ridiculous parts, and labor costs, trying to get my Valve clearance back into spec. Dont want that.

Thank you tons for all thoughts
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM

If you aren't gonna bother installing cams or building your engine for boost then install ARP rod bolts and leave it at that.

Most of your car's horsepower is made in the intake/camshaft/head combination and tuning to support it. So if you're going to put money into an N/A car anywhere that's where you will want to put it.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
If you aren't gonna bother installing cams or building your engine for boost then install ARP rod bolts and leave it at that.

Most of your car's horsepower is made in the intake/camshaft/head combination and tuning to support it. So if you're going to put money into an N/A car anywhere that's where you will want to put it.
yessir. She'll simply be tuned with an Apexi Neo and a datalogging wideband.

I'd love to cam her. I just cringe at the cost per valve, and the potential for having to pull the cams AGAIN in the near future to get those Damon valves back in spec.

The cost seems prohibitive. 1k for cams, hundreds on valves, and then a few hundred on labor. Seems I could spend 2k++ way more effectively on any weak internal points?

plus, once I'm Forcing air in at positive pressure, the cams will make less of a difference, and I'd love to have spent my "internals" cash on a more worthy goal: helping my motor happily withstand WOT, and eventually 10-11 psi.

Just need some advice on a worthy target for my limited funds! Hah.
thanks moncef
Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 AM

Cams will make a turbo kit more efficient if selected properly (more horsepower per pound of boost).

If you are boosting your engine, rods, pistons, balancing and rehone or overbore will be required and that will be around 2,500 all said and done.