Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 08:32 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

i'm hooking up my system this week and just want to know what the whole deal with OHMS is and how to chagne them and what's the best way to do it for the best ohms. thanks.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:28 PM

Re: what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

The way you change the ohms on your subs is in the way you wire them. How you should wire your subs depends on what kind of load you amp can handle and also what type of subs you have. What kind of amps and subs do you have?

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
i'm hooking up my system this week and just want to know what the whole deal with OHMS is and how to chagne them and what's the best way to do it for the best ohms. thanks.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:29 PM
jmax

An ohm is "the unit of measurement for electrical resistance." 1996 MECP study guide. E / I x R, E = voltage, I = current in amps, R = resistance. So I = E / R, E = I x R and R = E / I

Old 07-17-2002, 05:09 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

Originally posted by Gates
The way you change the ohms on your subs is in the way you wire them. How you should wire your subs depends on what kind of load you amp can handle and also what type of subs you have. What kind of amps and subs do you have?

Infinity Kappa Perfect and a Soundstorm Lab amp(for now while i save for a RF) that does 700watts bridged.

-steve
Old 07-17-2002, 05:37 AM

Re: what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

The more ohms constant, the better. A speaker that can handle 4 ohms constantly is not necessarily better than one that can only handle 2, but is more reliable. Also, make sure that your sub can handle the amount of ohms put out by your amp. You should be able to find the specs for 'em. I also have perfects, and they handle 4 constant(I think). But they're awesome, they've been able to hold up to anything I've dealt out.
Amps is the power required to run a circuit. You wiring kit should have a fuse rated at a certain ampage. The higher the ampage, the better response for your amp, therefore the better sounding your sub. Just make sure your battery can handle the amps if you don't have a capacitor. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

Infinity Kappa Perfect and a Soundstorm Lab amp(for now while i save for a RF) that does 700watts bridged.

-steve
I'm guessing that 700 watts is bridged to one channel at . . . . 2 ohms ?? Is your Kappa Perfect a DVC (Dual-voice coil) ??
Old 07-17-2002, 08:00 AM
jmax

Re: Re: what's the deal with OHMS on AMPS

Originally posted by macksima
The more ohms constant, the better. A speaker that can handle 4 ohms constantly is not necessarily better than one that can only handle 2, but is more reliable. Also, make sure that your sub can handle the amount of ohms put out by your amp. You should be able to find the specs for 'em. I also have perfects, and they handle 4 constant(I think). But they're awesome, they've been able to hold up to anything I've dealt out.
Amps is the power required to run a circuit. You wiring kit should have a fuse rated at a certain ampage. The higher the ampage, the better response for your amp, therefore the better sounding your sub. Just make sure your battery can handle the amps if you don't have a capacitor. Hope this helps.
Man! You confused the heck out of me.
A speaker is a resistive load. Therefore the impedance. But a speakers impedance varies with frequency and box design. That's why a lot of speakers seem to have a frequency where their output is optimized. In car audio speaker boxes are normally designed to have a peak between 50 and 70 Hz. The natural tranfer function of the vehicle is used to make it sound as if the output is nearly level down to 20 Hz or less. But that frequency point where the peak is will normally be a dip in impedance.
For matching speakers and amps we use the speakers nominal impedance. Which is the "minimum impedance a loudspeaker presents to an amplifier." Current (amps = I), voltage (volts=E) and resistance (ohms=R) are all relative. Use the formula's I gave above. In addition Power (watts = P) = E x I, or P = I^2 x R.
To sum it up, an amp that can operate into a lower impedance is generally more expensive because it can power a wider range of speakers without over heating. But that doesn't mean that it will sound better, or much of anything else either. From the formula's above a person mightassume that combineing speakers in a manner to minimize impedance would be ideal. But, the amp used to power the speakers will determine what speakers, and combinations of speakers will work "properly" or "optimally".
What you need to know are the nominal impedance of your speakers voice coil(s), number of coils on each speaker. And the number of speakers you plan to power. As well as the minimum impedance the amp is designed to power per channel. The number of channels the amp has, the power into each possible impedance, and if it is bridgeable.

Old 07-17-2002, 10:25 AM

By running your speakers in either a series or parallel determines how your amp will read the Ohms.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95
By running your speakers in either a series or parallel determines how your amp will read the Ohms.
exactly......infinity kappa if dvc is dual 4 so you have a configuration of either 4 in stereo 8ohm or 2 ohm bridged..I doubt very seriously that soundstorm will be stable at 2 ohm and if it is, won't be for very long..I would just wire it in stereo or in "series" being 8 ohm....you'll have 2 terminals with a + and a- if dual vc..take the + and - from the same coil to the amp and the + and - together for the other coil and that will give you a series load..
Old 07-18-2002, 09:43 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by slickonetoo

exactly......infinity kappa if dvc is dual 4 so you have a configuration of either 4 in stereo 8ohm or 2 ohm bridged..I doubt very seriously that soundstorm will be stable at 2 ohm and if it is, won't be for very long..I would just wire it in stereo or in "series" being 8 ohm....you'll have 2 terminals with a + and a- if dual vc..take the + and - from the same coil to the amp and the + and - together for the other coil and that will give you a series load..
Just to add to this, before you confuse the guy...

IF the amp is stable at 2Ohms, it would most likely be in stereo, NOT mono. Most amps like to claim that they are 2Ohm stable, what they do not tell you is that it is 2Ohm stereo rated and NOT 2Ohm mono rated.

The difference would be running all of your channels as opposed to half of them. I hope I explained that properly.

--Don
Old 07-19-2002, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Just to add to this, before you confuse the guy...

IF the amp is stable at 2Ohms, it would most likely be in stereo, NOT mono. Most amps like to claim that they are 2Ohm stable, what they do not tell you is that it is 2Ohm stereo rated and NOT 2Ohm mono rated.

The difference would be running all of your channels as opposed to half of them. I hope I explained that properly.

--Don
thanks pearl and yes you are corretct as well...I am not positive, but would almost be willing to bet it isn't a "1" ohm stable amp...
like pearl says, most ratings are in stereo when it comes to ohm's unless it says in plain english that it is....???x1 bridged at 2 ohm