Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

? if you installed a cd changer yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 10:07 AM

? if you installed a cd changer yourself.

I'm installing a cd changer in my car and have a couple of questions.

- Has any one been able to use those mini-fuse taps? I put them on, but the blade gets too tick and I can't fit then back in. I'm thinking about just splicing the wires on the back of the radio.

- if you mount it on the trunk, under the rear deck, are there any wires to look out for, to make sure the screws don't drill them, or come out the other side.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:04 PM

You didn't mention if you were installing an aftermarket changer, or a stock changer. Also, you didn't mention the type of headunit you had (Bose, Non-Bose premium, cassette only, etc).

I am here to offer a suggestion only. If you have the stock, non-Bose 1-DIN cassette deck and have the bottom spaces open, you could install the 1-DIN six-disc changer. Fits right underneath and comes with a jumper harness to connect to the back of your headunit.

Worryless wiring ... just a suggestion. Sorry, it doesn't answer your question though
Old 07-19-2002, 09:56 AM

I completed CD changer Install.

I got a Bose unit, and I'm installing an after market 10 disk MP3 Player. (by the way, it's RF, I didn't want to change the inside looks of the car with a new head unit -

I DID IT!

Last night at 1:30am I completed the installation of my CD changer.
It sounds great, everything looks great. Both the wireless and wired control/display are out of sight, but easily accesible.

I'm really happy about that, but check this &^%$ out: some of the lights on my climate control got messed up. They still work, but they are too dim. (off, recycle, auto, eco, and temp). I think the wire is just loose, so I'll have to take out the whole #$&%ING thing again.

That's right, I'm happy about one thing, mad about another.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I completed CD changer Install.

Originally posted by myiqis180

I'm really happy about that, but check this &^%$ out: some of the lights on my climate control got messed up. They still work, but they are too dim. (off, recycle, auto, eco, and temp). I think the wire is just loose, so I'll have to take out the whole #$&%ING thing again.
Exactly the same thing happened to my climate control system when I installed my Alpine head unit. How and what did you end up doing to fix it?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2002, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: I completed CD changer Install.

Originally posted by dashingMax

Exactly the same thing happened to my climate control system when I installed my Alpine head unit. How and what did you end up doing to fix it?

Thanks
Hey, so after taking the whole thing apart, I realized that one of the little light bulb was out (actually 4 of them when out by the time I did this)

the lights from the dealer cost about 4.25 each and I think there are a total of 5 little bulb. When you pull out the whole front face, on the back of the Climate control (you probably want to take if out of the metal track holding the radio) you will see like five wholes with a little brown plastic screw, that's the bulb. Half a turn will unscrew it. While I was at it, I replaced all the bulbs, just in case. They are very frigile and shaking them around can make them burn up faster. Let me know if you need more details.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: I completed CD changer Install.

Originally posted by myiqis180

Hey, so after taking the whole thing apart, I realized that one of the little light bulb was out (actually 4 of them when out by the time I did this)

the lights from the dealer cost about 4.25 each and I think there are a total of 5 little bulb. When you pull out the whole front face, on the back of the Climate control (you probably want to take if out of the metal track holding the radio) you will see like five wholes with a little brown plastic screw, that's the bulb. Half a turn will unscrew it. While I was at it, I replaced all the bulbs, just in case. They are very frigile and shaking them around can make them burn up faster. Let me know if you need more details.
I see what you mean. The same exact thing must've happened to me also. The darn connector in the back of the climate control just will NOT come off. I used a flat head and almost forced it out. In that struggle, I must've damaged the bulbs. Hopefully replacing the bulbs will do it.

Would you happen to know the part number(s) for these bulbs?
Also, can you buy 'em at Autozone or some auto parts store?

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I completed CD changer Install.

I see what you mean. The same exact thing must've happened to me also. The darn connector in the back of the climate control just will NOT come off. I used a flat head and almost forced it out. In that struggle, I must've damaged the bulbs. Hopefully replacing the bulbs will do it.

Would you happen to know the part number(s) for these bulbs?
Also, can you buy 'em at Autozone or some auto parts store?

Thanks again.
I looked around some Autozone, and MOPPI, Radio Sh. etc, but none of them had it (at least in my area). The dealer knows the part number though, (if not, let me know, I think I have it some where in wooden coffen, on a romote dark conner of the house.)
I do think in this case there's no real choise, but to get jipped by the dealer.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:32 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Old 11-05-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by TimW
4 bucks for that little thing. Yikes!
Thanks Tim.

BTW, is that Delphi SkyFI (XM Radio) I see behind the scenes. Yours?
I wanna get that next
Old 11-06-2002, 09:20 PM

The bulbs are Radio Shack parts 272-1092. It's like $1.50 a pair there.

Them bulbs are fragile though! When I replaced a bunch of dead ones in mine, many of the working ones went dead afterward. Had to replace them too!
Old 11-06-2002, 11:07 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

4 bucks for that little thing. Yikes!
Thanks Tim.

BTW, is that Delphi SkyFI (XM Radio) I see behind the scenes. Yours?
I wanna get that next
actually, Dave B has them for 2.xx with very reasonable/fast shipping.

yeah, love my Skyfi. Got the home and car kits.. good stuff. I have the Pioneer 903 in the max right now, but the wife is getting that in the pathfinder. Unfortunately, I dont think the mounting or display colors will look all that great in the max but its worth it.