Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help Choose a Nice Setup - Will buy what you guys recommend

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 06:37 AM

Help Choose a Nice Setup - Will buy what you guys recommend

I want to add a subwoofer with a nice amp. I want it to run on the stock bose system (I like the way it sounds). What do you guys recommend? Alpine, fosgate...kicker...? I'm planning on having a custom made box to match my drunk. I leaning towards a single 15 incher? I'm from NYC if anyone wants to meet etc. Also, will it slow me down to the point I will need to take out the sub for better performance. I'm getting/have lots of performance mods and do not want to lose performance.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:23 AM

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

What is your price range. Also.. if you plan on putting a 15" in your trunk.. do you want ported or sealed? I am in the same predicament.. I want a small sealed box so I am going with a Adire Brahma 15". http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/...hma_series.htm
You can put a Brahma 15" in a sealed box with about 1.25 to 2.5 cubic feet of air space. You also have to look on what type of amp you plan on getting... you need at least a 1000watts to keep the Brahma happy.. you can get other subs which require a lot less power.

Also.. are you going for SPL or SQL? If you want SPL.. you might want to go with a ported box.. but normally that means a bigger box which would add weight to the car.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by magnetik

What is your price range. Also.. if you plan on putting a 15" in your trunk.. do you want ported or sealed? I am in the same predicament.. I want a small sealed box so I am going with a Adire Brahma 15". http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/...hma_series.htm
You can put a Brahma 15" in a sealed box with about 1.25 to 2.5 cubic feet of air space. You also have to look on what type of amp you plan on getting... you need at least a 1000watts to keep the Brahma happy.. you can get other subs which require a lot less power.

Also.. are you going for SPL or SQL? If you want SPL.. you might want to go with a ported box.. but normally that means a bigger box which would add weight to the car.
I agree but want to add a little if I could
I definatly agree with the brahma, the best sub I have heard to date that can get very loud if you want it to and can maintain very good sq...I disagree with the 15 and the 1k watts
It all depends on the sub sound you want...very low which a 15 will definatly do or that impact the kick drum gives you and that tight lower octave bass from the bass guitar or brass instruments...I personally like 10's they are small make a very good impact if done right and migrate very well into your front stage...still can get low but not that 3 blocks away hum...I know 2 guys with 12's(I have a 10 on the way) that 1 has 1200 on and another has 450 watts on...yes the 1200 watts gives you full excursion capibilities but 450 watts did wonders for the sub as well..it is a decently efficient sub and don't really take 1k to get it moving..but it will if you want it to.
I think a 15 would be hard to integrate to a factory high setup..if you like the sound of a 15 only then go for it, but you need to probably plan on upgrades for the highs very soon...
good luck
Old 07-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Sin

Originally posted by magnetik

"1.25 t0 2.5 cubic feet of air ****"?! Only if you want to run the sub at no where near the optimal range, and risk damaging the sub even with the smallest amounts of distortion. Powering it at 1000W in that small a box is just asking for trouble.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Sin

"1.25 t0 2.5 cubic feet of air ****"?! Only if you want to run the sub at no where near the optimal range, and risk damaging the sub even with the smallest amounts of distortion. Powering it at 1000W in that small a box is just asking for trouble.
you must not be familiar with the brahma then...that sub(15) will take 1k every day listening in any range he said...the lower the size it will take more than 1k if you wanted too there are several people running jbl 1200 watt amps to each coil of the 12's and the 15's without a hicup
Old 07-19-2002, 10:06 AM

1.25 to 2.5 cubic feet is the recommended size for a sealed box straight from Adire. 2 to 3.5 cubic feet tuned to 28 Hz is the recommendation for a ported box. Also Adire states that the subs can take 1600 watts rms and 4800 watts peak. I think people that know about these subs know the Adire Brahma subs aren't your standard "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" subwoofers. Most people that run the Brahma's... run them with mono amps that are in the 1000+ watt range... some people run even more.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:36 AM
I'm so hood

Adire sure has made a name for themself. Unfortunately they got going (I believe the shivas are what started a fair amount of buzz?) after I had made my purchase on the Treo (no slouch, not too well-known). Nobody here in Omaha has even heard of Adire - it's too bad, I'd like to listen to a Brahma.

NYC - if you can afford it (amp and sub-wise), the Brahmas sound like a sure-fire bet for quality. Car audioheads love, and I mean love 'em. Since you suggest a 15 off the top of your head, I'd imagine you're looking for mostly SPL (just a basic assumption, could be way off). It sounds like the Brahmas will satisfy your SPL needs without sacrificing SQ. Another lower-priced sub that seems to have a good SPL/SQ mix are the infinity perfects. One of those with a nice amp would be enough for me.

AFA amps go, audiophiles seem to like the new JL series of amps. I couldn't tell you my opinion yet, my 500/1 is on its way. Check out www.ampmanaudio.com's monoblock offerings as well, although their mono amps page seems a bit skewed right now.

From what I've heard from people, but not from my ears...a Brahma 12" and a JL 1000/1 amp would be enough bump for just about anyone with a deep enough wallet
Old 07-19-2002, 11:55 AM

i have my brahma in a 3.2 cubic foot box (before displacement). that gives me a .707 box alignment. im only running 3-400 watts to it, but it will kick you in the chest pretty good that way. mine doesnt have a whole lot of spl, but thats b/c of the layout of my car...its got the gas tank between the trunk and the interior, so sound doesnt travel thru it very well.

anyway, im really happy with how adire has treated me, with the quality of their products, and how they sound. i am getting ready to buy one of their new HT subs too.

eric