Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Newbie Audio Question about 96 Stock Audio Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 08:42 AM

Newbie Audio Question about 96 Stock Audio Setup

Guys - I have a 96 GXE with the stock (non-bose) set up which sucks. I don't see myself going or for a all out upgrade on the audio side since I don't really need it nor do I have the finances to pull it off. I plan on getting a aftermarket Entry-level CD player and a set of decent 6.5 inch speakers eventually.

My question is that if I can only do one of those at a time - which one would give me a bigger improvement? In other words - what is the WEAKER link in the set up - the head unit or the speakers?

Thanks

Kushane
Old 07-19-2002, 08:56 AM

Re: Newbie Audio Question about 96 Stock Audio Setup

Originally posted by kushane
Guys - I have a 96 GXE with the stock (non-bose) set up which sucks. I don't see myself going or for a all out upgrade on the audio side since I don't really need it nor do I have the finances to pull it off. I plan on getting a aftermarket Entry-level CD player and a set of decent 6.5 inch speakers eventually.

My question is that if I can only do one of those at a time - which one would give me a bigger improvement? In other words - what is the WEAKER link in the set up - the head unit or the speakers?

Thanks

Kushane
I personally feel that the head is the weaker link...the speakers "are" what you hear...if you start with speaks and get what you like as far as sound, you can go from there...heads are important also in terms of features and the signal has to "start" somewhere...so you wouldn't want to get a sparkomatic cd player and a set of 500$ speakers to play off the head.....lol
my opinion is that their is a head to fit "any" install but speakers need to fit "you" otherwise your wasting your money....take your time, do it right the first time....and you'll be happier in the long run...I am very impatient and usually jump into things before actually thinking...but I have come to find that switching speakers out over and over can get costly...than if you were to go and hear a 500$ set or whatever.....that you are happy with the sound...not that tohought in the back of your head......they'll work for now.....lol
Old 07-19-2002, 04:39 PM

My opinion:

The stock, non-Bose cassette deck is excellent if you don't care about blasting your music. Upgrade your speakers, throw in a small amp to power a sub in the trunk and you'll appreciate it even more.

I have the stock, non-Bose cassette deck and I installed the 1-DIN in-dash 6 disc changer. No complaints, integrates perfectly to the stock headunit (volume control, etc) and it's stock, so less risk of theft.

My next step, get a small amp and sub-box or tube in the trunk to strengthen the bass. Then, I'll probably invest in some good speakers. That's just what I want to do because ultimately, I want to install a screen, tv tuner and DVD player and I'll probably just RF-modulate the audio to the headunit.

My 0.02