Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

12w7 or ID Max or Adire brahma?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

12w7 or ID Max or Adire brahma?

Ok, assuming you could get all 3 for close to the same price which would you pick up and why?

Also - consider all are 12" and you will be powering it with a kicker kx600.1 (birth sheet says 700 watts).

Thanks.
Chris
Old 08-01-2002, 11:52 PM

Re: 12w7 or ID Max or Adire brahma?

Originally posted by CKNY
Ok, assuming you could get all 3 for close to the same price which would you pick up and why?

Also - consider all are 12" and you will be powering it with a kicker kx600.1 (birth sheet says 700 watts).

Thanks.
Chris
i love my brahma 15 so much i just ordered another one... i had heard so many good things about adire for a long time, so i wagered 375 bux (preorder 15 cost) and waited for my toy to come. WOW! ive never heard anything so acurate and skull crushing! it didnt sound quite as loud as most speakers, but that was because it didnt sound like a subwoofer. it sounded only like music. the reason it didnt sound as loud was because the harmonics (2nd, 3rd, 4th order, etc) werent as pronounced as a typical sub. now this isnt to say that it wasnt loud...far from it. its the only sub ive ever had play cleanly loud enough to give me a headache, and have to jump out of the vehicle. i am someone who does not compromise, and so i want perfect sound at underpants-soiling levels. i was utterly amazed by the sound of these babies.

the difference between the brahma and the other 2 subs is that the brahma has a new motor technology instead of one thats been around for 70 years. anyway, what it does, is allow extreme cone movement, without loss of control. that does 2 things...increase sq, and increase spl.

anyway, i have had tons of interaction with dan wiggins, who is president of adire, and i reccomend them, and always will. dan gives straight answers, and has no problem reccomending other products if he doesnt have exactly what you need...so youll never have to worry about bad customer service.

heres the tech paper on the new motor tech.

eric
Old 08-02-2002, 11:10 AM

Re: Re: 12w7 or ID Max or Adire brahma?

Originally posted by nismo240sx

i love my brahma 15 so much i just ordered another one... i had heard so many good things about adire for a long time, so i wagered 375 bux (preorder 15 cost) and waited for my toy to come. WOW! ive never heard anything so acurate and skull crushing! it didnt sound quite as loud as most speakers, but that was because it didnt sound like a subwoofer. it sounded only like music. the reason it didnt sound as loud was because the harmonics (2nd, 3rd, 4th order, etc) werent as pronounced as a typical sub. now this isnt to say that it wasnt loud...far from it. its the only sub ive ever had play cleanly loud enough to give me a headache, and have to jump out of the vehicle. i am someone who does not compromise, and so i want perfect sound at underpants-soiling levels. i was utterly amazed by the sound of these babies.

the difference between the brahma and the other 2 subs is that the brahma has a new motor technology instead of one thats been around for 70 years. anyway, what it does, is allow extreme cone movement, without loss of control. that does 2 things...increase sq, and increase spl.

anyway, i have had tons of interaction with dan wiggins, who is president of adire, and i reccomend them, and always will. dan gives straight answers, and has no problem reccomending other products if he doesnt have exactly what you need...so youll never have to worry about bad customer service.

heres the tech paper on the new motor tech.

eric
great writeup!

i have a kicker kx600.1 that will be powering it (birth sheet says 700 watts). Will I be underpowering a brahma 12 or 15?
Old 08-02-2002, 08:22 PM
jmax

The motor system of the brahma is very linear. Unlike a normal sub. Just because the voice coil can handle 1600 watts does not mean that the rest of the driver will handle it. You can reach Xmax far below the max rms rating. Check the www.teamamp.com - adireaudio forum. The president, Dan Wiggins, posts frequently.

Old 08-02-2002, 09:44 PM

Has anyone listened to the Eclipse titanium series subs. Expensive, but truly the smoothest sub I've heard to date.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:11 PM
jmax

Originally posted by Virus
Has anyone listened to the Eclipse titanium series subs. Expensive, but truly the smoothest sub I've heard to date.
I havn't heard the eclipse. But I feel confident in saying to get the eclipse, and pull up next to me with one, two, whatever number of the brahma. I think you will be sorry about your decision.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:19 PM

Retail on the Eclipses were just too steep. Around $500 for a 10 I believe.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:57 PM
jmax

Retail on the Eclipses were just too steep. Around $500 for a 10 I believe.
$500 for what? If you can't answer that, it's too much.

Old 08-03-2002, 06:05 AM

For the Titanium series 10" Eclipse.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:45 AM
jmax

For the Titanium series 10" Eclipse.
What I meant is what is that money paying for? Titanium does not retail for more than gold. The price implies that it does. The titanium cone is no stronger, or at least not enough stronger to make it a worthy cone material. I would bet you could find a cone of mostly paper material that is stronger.

Old 08-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Administrator

please get the Adire brahma
Old 08-03-2002, 10:48 AM

I never said it was made of titanium. You know as well as I that just about every company is tauting the word titanium somewhere in there product line. I'm not talking audio, but rather a wider spectrum of products. I haven't listened to the other subs so I have no way of basing a comparative decision. I have a JL 12W3. I can say with certanty that it's better in my opinion than my sub. I also listened to the W6 and W7 series and still believe the sound to be superior to those.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator

w7 doesn't compare to hte IDMax

I never said it was made of titanium. You know as well as I that just about every company is tauting the word titanium somewhere in there product line. I'm not talking audio, but rather a wider spectrum of products. I haven't listened to the other subs so I have no way of basing a comparative decision. I have a JL 12W3. I can say with certanty that it's better in my opinion than my sub. I also listened to the W6 and W7 series and still believe the sound to be superior to those.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:33 PM
jmax

There are only a few subwoofers that can boast a motor system with a fraction of the distortion of standard loudspeakers. For all the others the only real differences in sound will be attributed to the enclosure. Then when comparing speakers with linear motor systems it is only fair to compare with a similar driver. And to compare with both drivers in the correct style, dimension, etc enclosure.

Old 08-03-2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
w7 doesn't compare to hte IDMax

where are my subs douchebag?
Old 08-04-2002, 07:07 AM
jmax

where are my subs douchebag?
What is this name calling episode? Did someone indicate they were mailing you a couple subs? Otherwise, your subs are probably still in your pocket. Reach back and pull out that wallet. You might need the crowbar.

Old 08-04-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by jmax

What is this name calling episode? Did someone indicate they were mailing you a couple subs? Otherwise, your subs are probably still in your pocket. Reach back and pull out that wallet. You might need the crowbar.
sprintmax and i happen to have private name calling episodes on a daily basis... pls don't get involved.

thanks.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:45 AM
jmax

sprintmax and i happen to have private name calling episodes on a daily basis... pls don't get involved.

thanks.
If it is on the forum, it involves a family of a few thousand. Actually, I haven't checked the number of forum members recently. If you want to send a private message, the system has the capability. I will not treat a comment of "don't get involved" with respect.

Old 08-04-2002, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want a brahma, how about the brahma extreme? Goto adireaudio.com, car audio, and adire store, specials & preorders. It handles 3200 watts rms, 9600 max!!!!! but it only costs 2k. I think this sub is scarier than the mtx!
Old 08-04-2002, 10:26 AM
jmax

Originally posted by skeelo34
If you want a brahma, how about the brahma extreme? Goto adireaudio.com, car audio, and adire store, specials & preorders. It handles 3200 watts rms, 9600 max!!!!! but it only costs 2k. I think this sub is scarier than the mtx!

There is nothing scarey about clean, clear bass.

Old 08-04-2002, 10:42 AM

If it is on the forum, it involves a family of a few thousand. Actually, I haven't checked the number of forum members recently. If you want to send a private message, the system has the capability. I will not treat a comment of "don't get involved" with respect.
it's all in good fun my friend
Old 08-04-2002, 11:08 AM
jmax

it's all in good fun my friend
So was mine you idiot! Didn't you see the laugh?

Old 08-04-2002, 11:46 AM

So was mine you idiot! Didn't you see the laugh?
i'm not an idiot
Old 08-04-2002, 04:20 PM

I will never own another sub after having my IDMAX with about 900rms going to it. Best sub ive ever heard and it sounds like I have 2 12's in my trunk!!! LOVE the thing.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Administrator

i think i can get a good deal on two kicker 1200.1's if so.. then i can sell my 600.1 and keep the two ID2's.. so please.. again.. buy the Adire Brahma
Old 08-05-2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i think i can get a good deal on two kicker 1200.1's if so.. then i can sell my 600.1 and keep the two ID2's.. so please.. again.. buy the Adire Brahma
they're never coming in. ever.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:26 AM
jmax

There is a similar thread on the teamamp.com forum. Trying to decide between these subs - Adire Brahma, JL W7, JBL GTI, Diamond TDX, IDMAX on an output or sq standpoint is pointless. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to tell the difference between any of them if they are all properly installed in the proper high quality enclosure. And all are much better at both sq and spl than anything else out there.

Old 08-06-2002, 07:29 AM
Administrator

they're never coming in. ever.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:01 PM

There is a similar thread on the teamamp.com forum. Trying to decide between these subs - Adire Brahma, JL W7, JBL GTI, Diamond TDX, IDMAX on an output or sq standpoint is pointless. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to tell the difference between any of them if they are all properly installed in the proper high quality enclosure. And all are much better at both sq and spl than anything else out there.
i have to agree here somewhat...most people do have a budget, which means that the one that hurts the least to buy is the brahma...i bought a pair of the 15's for less that 800 bux shipped brand new

either way, id put my 15 brahma up against any of the above subs in an equivalent enclosure...and i cant lose. if the brahma DOES sound better, then ive got the best sub. if you cant tell any difference, i still come out on top, cuz i spent 1/2 as much on one (or a pair) as the others would cost from an authorized source...

eric
Old 08-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by nismo240sx

i have to agree here somewhat...most people do have a budget, which means that the one that hurts the least to buy is the brahma...i bought a pair of the 15's for less that 800 bux shipped brand new

either way, id put my 15 brahma up against any of the above subs in an equivalent enclosure...and i cant lose. if the brahma DOES sound better, then ive got the best sub. if you cant tell any difference, i still come out on top, cuz i spent 1/2 as much on one (or a pair) as the others would cost from an authorized source...

eric